Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Spy Photos Show C8 Mid Engine Corvette as Engineers Scramble to Cover it

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:35 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
Sure you can. The camouflaged mules tell us all there is to know!

See, that monstrosity is all out of proportion.. the rear is WAY too long and too flat, the roof line doesn't flow at all, and that nose is a damn train wreck. I bet it turned out ugly as hell.

Now couldn't you see what a dog it was under that mess they attempted to hide all its shortcomings with?
Well, there ya go...that settles that.

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Very VERY doubtful. In 5 years a GT350 will probably be worth more than a C7Z. In 10 years for sure.
Hmmmmm, I'm not so sure.
Ford is constantly coming up with "special" versions of the Mustang.
The Mustang can't come close to outperforming the Z06.
The Big-dog of the Last of the FE Corvettes should hold its value better than most.
The LT4 could become a desired engine in the collector's market.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:17 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Well, there ya go...that settles that.

Hmmmmm, I'm not so sure.
Ford is constantly coming up with "special" versions of the Mustang.
The Mustang can't come close to outperforming the Z06.
The Big-dog of the Last of the FE Corvettes should hold its value better than most.
The LT4 could become a desired engine in the collector's market.
History has proven its basically all about production numbers. They just produce more Corvettes than GT350s. I am referring to current gen GT350s...not the Shelby GT cars that came before it.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette tuner in Tampa

based on the spy photos and the guys in the skinny jeans, I pre ordered today to take delivery in 2025. It comes standard with the new A15 transmission developed with Dodge to make more room for 230 pound and over gang like me
www.TampaTuning.com
Phil

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 08-01-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 PM
KrisColoradoLV
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It will be good. Rear fascia looks good. Rear fender looks good. The three dimensionality of the door looks good. Cab looks good, the windshield and A-pillar. It's not just a C7 cab cut up and moved forward like the spy photo of that other prototype. And the wheels are improving.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:39 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Hope that Elky has round tail lights.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

The front looks to have a very rounded, aggressive front with a Mclaren feel to it. You can see with the doors opened there is going to be a significant side scoop adding some real curvature to the door and moving forward almost to the front of it. The rear is pretty hidden by a very large flat surface, there is definitely something underneath there.

This car is gonna be BADASS...I can tell already.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:34 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

the c8 looks awesome. I fully expect the automotive press and consumers alike will be lining up for this thing and it will be a huge sales and public relations success for Chevrolet.

Cadillac itself might get quite a few benefits to its lackluster image as well.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:47 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

I definitely do not feel this is an 8th gen car. This is becoming the top C7 model or they will deem it an entirely different car in its first generation, as in a "Z1" or Zora first gen, etc.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:02 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
It looks like you can install a Jacuzzi tub in the back of this car...

I just can't wrap my head around a corvette with those proportions....if they don't make a front engine along side the rear engine car (and I don't think they will after the C7 ends production), the soul of corvette will never be the same.

We will have "corvette" but it won't be a corvette. Sort of like pointing at a dog and telling people it's a cat. I am both sad and excited at the same time and I don't know which way I am leaning...
If GM had approved Zora's request to produce a mid engine Corvette back in the early 70s would you have said the soul of the Corvette would never be the same? Zora was the father of the Corvette, he is the one that made it popular and made it into a sports car. He knew it had to go ME 50 years ago and worked to try and make it happen. Why should we go against his vision now that GM seems to have opened up to the need for a ME car?

Bill
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 02:18 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If GM had approved Zora's request to produce a mid engine Corvette back in the early 70s would you have said the soul of the Corvette would never be the same? Zora was the father of the Corvette, he is the one that made it popular and made it into a sports car. He knew it had to go ME 50 years ago and worked to try and make it happen. Why should we go against his vision now that GM seems to have opened up to the need for a ME car?

Bill
Because some people just need to have something to bitch about.

If there was world peace, some people would bitch that it's just too damned boring.
JerriVette (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 02:41 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default Lol!

very clever

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
Maybe they're driving it backwards?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:48 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Forum members went nuts when c7 didn't have round tailights....and the c7 sold great..

The same forumbitching about any kind of change actually is what is required for the next generation to make money for the brand.

Just for fun look what happened to GM sales of the amazing performing 6 th generation camaro ss because the Chevrolet division decided to not change the camaro styling to satisfy 5 th camaro owners...

The camaro is selling but let's face it....many present camaro owners are holding onto their 5 th and not stepping up to the sixth gen camaro ss ..even though mechanically it's an amazingly performance machine.

GM has a huge win here finally realizing Zora s dream of a mid rear engine corvette.

I'm excited to hopefully make the leap to a rear mid engine corvette in the future.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Zerski
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NNNInvestment
Is it safe to say that the C7 and C7 Z06 will at minimum hold its value?
Lol no. Not better than any other Corvette anyway.

Last edited by Zerski; 08-02-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Yes, Zora was the original advocate for a rear engine configuration. However, we have since had 7 generations of corvettes that look a certain way, have certain characteristics, etc. However, we can't pretend the last half century did not happen.

Still though, you make an interesting argument and looking at this from your point of view somehow makes me feel a bit better about the car.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 08-02-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:19 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

I just wonder what the hell this thing is going to cost.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:21 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ILBMF
I just wonder what the hell this thing is going to cost.
I say starting at 89,995.00 with most in the 105k-130k range, with an upper performance model later pushing 125-150k.

I'm goin on record with that one. I definitely say the base will be marginally below 100k, but typical 2LT type equipment, with destination, etc will break 100k. I think it will be POSSIBLE though, to get one under 100k.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:31 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

I'd be shocked if you were correct especially if the car can compete with the other super cars, but the current Vette is close so who knows?

Get notified of new replies

To New Spy Photos Show C8 Mid Engine Corvette as Engineers Scramble to Cover it

Old 08-02-2017, 07:51 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I say starting at 89,995.00 with most in the 105k-130k range, with an upper performance model later pushing 125-150k.

I'm goin on record with that one. I definitely say the base will be marginally below 100k, but typical 2LT type equipment, with destination, etc will break 100k. I think it will be POSSIBLE though, to get one under 100k.

That's the base price of a 2017 911. I think they will keep it somewhere below that just to shove it in the German's faces. But with options, just like Porsche, the sky's the limit.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 PM
txapezl1
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

I personally believe on the rear, where it looks flat and brick like on the deck lid area. I think that's just pads or foam to build that area up to look like that. I have a feeling, once you take it off, there are some sick lines under there.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
That's the base price of a 2017 911. I think they will keep it somewhere below that just to shove it in the German's faces. But with options, just like Porsche, the sky's the limit.
A base 911 isn't really relative, in terms of appeal and certainly won't compare in performance, plus I think the pricing needs to make the Corvette buyer decide between a mildly equipped Z06 or a base mid engine. If a base Z06 is 80k'ish, then 10k above that, if they can pull that off, it'd be a win. If they go any lower than 85k base I think it could crunch on the Front engine vettes and upper end Camaro's.

You want a little exclusivity to elevate the ownership experience.

We'll see though...anything under 100k, for a serious mid engine sports car is epic though...especially one that can be reasonably serviced all over the US. GM is gonna crush with this car in my opinion.
conceptmachine (08-05-2017)

Quick Reply: New Spy Photos Show C8 Mid Engine Corvette as Engineers Scramble to Cover it