Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Spy Photos Show C8 Mid Engine Corvette as Engineers Scramble to Cover it

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 04:29 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

GM won't have any problem selling those.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisColoradoLV
Something happened in the 80's. The C4 could have been much better. The held back. They could have made it look as good as this black Greenwood Corvette, but they didn't.
Thank goodness!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:56 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Thank goodness!
you said it brother !
Old 10-20-2017, 03:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
using that Dino render, I overlaied the spy images an stretched the Dino render to fit the proportions of the spy pics just to get a taste of what we may get.

That's neat what you did. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:15 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Thanks.

I was reading that some reports say the C8 is going into production late January 2018 !

Anyone have any inside info?
Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Another media “click bait” article, compounded by very wrong information. They erroneously quoted the Bowling Green Daily News, that latter which correctly stated that the 2019 C7’s were going to start production the week of January 29th.

Last edited by elegant; 10-20-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:08 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Looks awesome to me and I bet this will chew up and spit out a mclaren 570...(kidding ) but then I'm a corvette enthusiast...
The current GS and Z06 already beat the McLaren 570 at VIR (2016 Lightning Lap).
Old 10-21-2017, 06:15 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
The current GS and Z06 already beat the McLaren 570 at VIR (2016 Lightning Lap).
We all know...the performance of the front mid engine c7 is legendary. Still the rear mid engine will allow the corvette team to further develop the brand beyond its current capabilities.

Bottom line the 6 th gen camaro chassis is so good it's hard to keep corvette as top dog within the GM family.

Moving to rear mid engine design should allow both products to evolve further.

Watch as the mustang is evolving into more of a sleek 2 plus 2 vehicle and less of a pony car ...and sure as it's price tag evolves so does it's design ...all in an effort to attract new buyers ...

This is what GM is doing with the rear mid engine design...

We ve been hearing about, reading about rear mid engine corvettes for 40 odd years...time for it to happen...

I'm not worried that it will only be 150 grand....as I'm sure with time...a 500 hp LT1 will find its way into the rear engine compartment for normal Americans to purchase,

Many of us think 150 grand for any car is ridiculous...lol
Old 10-21-2017, 09:19 AM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

If GM was worried about the sales of vetts they would advertise it more. When was the last time you saw a commercial on the Corvette. Nothing but truck commercials and occasionally one on the Camero
Old 10-21-2017, 12:51 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Bottom line the 6 th gen camaro chassis is so good it's hard to keep corvette as top dog within the GM family.

Moving to rear mid engine design should allow both products to evolve further.
Good points.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:30 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Good points.
I keep looking at the picture of the camoed Rear mid engine mule.

I wonder what the door configuration is. What we see is a large FLAT panel with one body line about a 1/4 of the was down from the belt mldg.

I just don't believe that such a featureless design could be what GM has come up with.

Also the peaks of fenders and 1/4 panel look very squareed off.

I truly believe that GM is going to knock it out of the park with this revolutionary design.

That's being said the more I look at photo of the prototypes the harder time I have trying to picture what the final design will be.

I know the C7 is edgey and lots of sharp lines. Maybe that is the direction GM decided to go.

Even the rear deck and Glass look far to square.

I really hope we get a look at what really coming for sale in late 18 or early 19 sooner rather than later.

These prototypes seem to far along to be much more than a year out.

I looked at the camouflage C7 and you could really see the general outline now that we know what it looks like.

I don't think any rendering we have seen so far that looks like what we see in the C8 camo.

Common GM show us what we have coming. At this point true Corvette enthusiasts know something radically different is on the way and I believe it's got to really hurt C7 sales .

Maybe 1st time Corvette buyers don't know about the mid engine but true Corvette guys know and their not going to buy a C7 until they see what's next.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 10-21-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:48 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
I keep looking at the picture of the camoed Rear mid engine mule.

I wonder what the door configuration is. What we see is a large FLAT panel with one body line about a 1/4 of the was down from the belt mldg.

I just don't believe that such a featureless design could be what GM has come up with.

Also the peaks of fenders and 1/4 panel look very squareed off.

I truly believe that GM is going to knock it out of the park with this revolutionary design.

That's being said the more I look at photo of the prototypes the harder time I have trying to picture what the final design will be.

I know the C7 is edgey and lots of sharp lines. Maybe that is the direction GM decided to go.

Even the rear deck and Glass look far to square.

I really hope we get a look at what really coming for sale in late 18 or early 19 sooner rather than later.

These prototypes seem to far along to be much more than a year out.

I looked at the camouflage C7 and you could really see the general outline now that we know what it looks like.

I don't think any rendering we have seen so far that looks like what we see in the C8 camo.

Common GM show us what we have coming. At this point true Corvette enthusiasts know something radically different is on the way and I believe it's got to really hurt C7 sales .

Maybe 1st time Corvette buyers don't know about the mid engine but true Corvette guys know and their not going to buy a C7 until they see what's next.

Wasn't it stated somewhere that factory tours will begin again about year from now? If that's the case, they may have nothing to hide at that point.

If the ZR1 is revealed before Detroit, either at SEMA or Los Angeles, then there is the chance that the ME will be Chevy's big reveal in Detroit and production may begin in the fall....a year from now.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:18 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Wasn't it stated somewhere that factory tours will begin again about year from now? If that's the case, they may have nothing to hide at that point.

If the ZR1 is revealed before Detroit, either at SEMA or Los Angeles, then there is the chance that the ME will be Chevy's big reveal in Detroit and production may begin in the fall....a year from now.
I sure hope your correct and we see the new rear mid engine Vett in January.

Honestly I think that there is very little excitement out there when it's concerning the C7 ZRI.

We all know it a bigger blower more horsepower C7.

What we don't know is will the Rear Mid engine have a DOCH engine and hopefully a true well designed duel clutch transmission that is on part with the PDK?

I would be suprised to see the ZR1 sell in any volume.

Real Corvette guys are excited about the rear mid prototype and an revolutionary advancement for the Corvette.

I love my C7 Callaway and plan to keep it. But I am really excited about the C8 Mid engine.

My only hope is that GM breaks from traditional roll out and introduces a true halo Vett right out of the gate then followed later by less expensive models more in line with C7 pricing.

I am not sure many will want to buy the Rear mid engine right away unless it is the top dog in the Vett lineup?

I wonder what my fellow Corvette enthusiasts want 1st the Halo Vett or an entry level mid engine.

It would be odd that the newest most advanced Corvette is sold for less money and have less performance capability than the current generation assuming they are really for sale side by side as new models.

GM sure has all us Vett enthusiasts guessing at what's to come in next 12 to 24 months.

I don't think that will be good for C7 sales but I could be wrong!

What do you guys want the rear mid top of line right away or the traditional roll out of lesser models followed by the high performance model 1 2 or 3 years later??

I remember that when the C7 arrived on dealership lots we could not sell our left over C6 even at break even. Many dealership where taking a loss on remaining C6 sales just so our allocation of C7 would be higher.

GM allocates new inventory based on prior year model sales.

So dealership that stocked up on C6 inventory to increase their allocation of C7 really to a loss on the remaining C6 in inventory as soon as the 1st C7 hit our lots.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 10-21-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:04 PM
toddlaing
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly I think that there is very little excitement out there when it's concerning the C7 ZRI.

What we don't know is will the Rear Mid engine have a DOCH engine and hopefully a true well designed duel clutch transmission that is on part with the PDK?

Real Corvette guys are excited about the rear mid prototype and an revolutionary advancement for the Corvette.

I love my C7 Callaway and plan to keep it. But I am really excited about the C8 Mid engine.

My only hope is that GM breaks from traditional roll out and introduces a true halo Vett right out of the gate then followed later by less expensive models more in line with C7 pricing.

I am not sure many will want to buy the Rear mid engine right away unless it is the top dog in the Vett lineup?

I wonder what my fellow Corvette enthusiasts want 1st the Halo Vett or an entry level mid engine.

It would be odd that the newest most advanced Corvette is sold for less money and have less performance capability than the current generation assuming they are really for sale side by side as new models.

GM sure has all us Vett enthusiasts guessing at what's to come in next 12 to 24 months.

What do you guys want the rear mid top of line right away or the traditional roll out of lesser models followed by the high performance model 1 2 or 3 years later??

I remember that when the C7 arrived on dealership lots we could not sell our left over C6 even at break even. Many dealership where taking a loss on remaining C6 sales just so our allocation of C7 would be higher.

So dealership that stocked up on C6 inventory to increase their allocation of C7 really to a loss on the remaining C6 in inventory as soon as the 1st C7 hit our lots.
That is my biggest fear as well. I have a deposit to be in line for the new ME. I just hope they don't start at the bottom and take 2-3 years to bring the good stuff ! I am hopeful as they have been seen testing the mules against a Porsche TurboS. If that is the bench mark I doubt it would be a base model! Anyway fingers crossed for a January reveal Im am way passed ready!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:45 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Very exciting stuff

Any ideas or can anyone tell from the pics if it could be AWD?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:01 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

I go back and forth on the possible scenarios.

If they're going to continue the C7 as is, then a top of the line ME would be the logical move. I agree that the ZR1 is not earth shaking news at this point but will be a stunning addition to the FE lineup.

If there will eventually be only one Corvette, and it's ME, then introducing an entry level car would make the most sense.

The shortened 2018 model year and what could be a shortened 2019 as well is what has me confused.....well...THAT and too many margueritas.

My hope would be for a premium ME out of the gate, but there's just no telling what GM has planned. And then there the Cadillac element as well.

Who the ***** knows?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:04 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlaing
That is my biggest fear as well. I have a deposit to be in line for the new ME. I just hope they don't start at the bottom and take 2-3 years to bring the good stuff ! I am hopeful as they have been seen testing the mules against a Porsche TurboS. If that is the bench mark I doubt it would be a base model! Anyway fingers crossed for a January reveal Im am way passed ready!
I agree and believe the new c8 rear mid engine will start selling top of the line models first and then two years down the road 500 hp standard models will appear in the showrooms...

You ll be in luck...

No awd as far as mechanical awd but possibly electric powerplants at the front end..although acuras NSX with such technology has been a sales disaster..

Last edited by JerriVette; 10-21-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Spy Photos Show C8 Mid Engine Corvette as Engineers Scramble to Cover it

Old 10-21-2017, 08:54 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Not sure why Vetteman thinks real Corvette guys are all excited about an ME design. Are you saying the rest of us are not real Corvette guys?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:51 PM
toddlaing
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree and believe the new c8 rear mid engine will start selling top of the line models first and then two years down the road 500 hp standard models will appear in the showrooms...

You ll be in luck...

No awd as far as mechanical awd but possibly electric powerplants at the front end..although acuras NSX with such technology has been a sales disaster..
I never gave much thought to the AWD aspect until the pictures came with the Porsche TurboS be tested. Could just be a coincidence but why test the mules against an AWD car? The driving dynamics are vastly different from a RWD performance car to an AWD one. Why not test it against the CarreraS or even the GT3 both RWD? In my mind the fact that they choose the TurboS (a truly bad to the bone twin turbo AWD beast) says tons about what they are working on! There aren't many cars in the world that can hang with the TurboS and the ones that can are extraordinary!! So, should be very good things ahead for the ME vette if this is the case!

Last edited by toddlaing; 10-21-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:24 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WKM
Not sure why Vetteman thinks real Corvette guys are all excited about an ME design. Are you saying the rest of us are not real Corvette guys?
I do not know any real Corvette enthusiasts that are not excited anytime a new generation is about to be introduced.

I think that pretty much the definition of a Corvette enthusiasts.

With the C7 being in it 4th year of the generation and the fact that the front mid engine Platform is maxed out performance wise.

I have a 16 Callaway SC 757 and there is no way the current platform can handled any more power and torque than the 757/777 that the SC757 currently puts out.

I can not imagine Corvette enthusiasts who are not excited about a truly revolutionary step in the Corvette heritage.

Looking forward to a true world class Rear Mid engine supercar and all the benefits that come with rear mid layout.

I can tell from experience that it's easier to drive a mid rear platform near the limits than it is to drive a C7 at or near it's limits.

So for an average driver like myself it more fun and much safer to drive the rear mid near the limits.

Makes an average guy like myself a much better driver.

Also I would think any Corvette enthusiasts would absolutely be excited about a rear mid engine. The driving experience will be complete different from all previous generations.

I have heard folk complain that the mid rear platform with be much less convenient and will lack luggage space.

I could care less about luggage space in my High performance super car. If I want to take a long trip I will drive my C7 or one of my other vehicles.

So I don't see luggage space as a big down side.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 10-22-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply: New Spy Photos Show C8 Mid Engine Corvette as Engineers Scramble to Cover it