Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Spy Photos Show C8 Mid Engine Corvette as Engineers Scramble to Cover it

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 08:58 AM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
I do not know any real Corvette enthusiasts that are not excited anytime a new generation is about to be introduced.

I think that pretty much the definition of a Corvette enthusiasts.

With the C7 being in it 4th year of the generation and the fact that the front mid engine Platform is maxed out performance wise.

I have a 16 Callaway SC 757 and there is no way the current platform can handled any more power and torque than the 757/777 that the SC757 currently puts out.

I can not imagine Corvette enthusiasts who are not excited about a truly revolutionary step in the Corvette heritage.

Looking forward to a true world class Rear Mid engine supercar and all the benefits that come with rear mid layout.

I can tell from experience that it's easier to drive a mid rear platform near the limits than it is to drive a C7 at or near it's limits.

So for an average driver like myself it more fun and much safer to drive the rear mid near the limits.

Makes an average guy like myself a much better driver.

Also I would think any Corvette enthusiasts would absolutely be excited about a rear mid engine. The driving experience will be complete different from all previous generations.

I have heard folk complain that the mid rear platform with be much less convenient and will lack luggage space.

I could care less about luggage space in my High performance super car. If I want to take a long trip I will drive my C7 or one of my other vehicles.

So I don't see luggage space as a big down side.
If you own the Callaway as you say why would you need more performance and with your experience you can drive a ME closer to its limits than the C7 how can you claim to be an average driver. It seems to me some here are looking full out race cars meant for track driving only. I think most of us just want a nice sports car to travel up and down the interstate that we can push more than our sedans and pick ups. To me a sports car has got to be a 2 seat convertabile which I don't see many if any of in a ME package, but then again that is my definition not others.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:05 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by WKM
If you own the Callaway as you say why would you need more performance and with your experience you can drive a ME closer to its limits than the C7 how can you claim to be an average driver. It seems to me some here are looking full out race cars meant for track driving only. I think most of us just want a nice sports car to travel up and down the interstate that we can push more than our sedans and pick ups. To me a sports car has got to be a 2 seat convertabile which I don't see many if any of in a ME package, but then again that is my definition not others.
I think you missed my have missed my point.

Tadge has also stated that the front mid engine platform has maxed out on potential.

I don't care or need you to believe what I say. Simple look up any review of the SC757 and everytime you will read the same thing.

The car performance is its stupid fast and also a scary fast. With the horsepower and torque the cars rear end wants to step out big time. There is no way to put all that power to the ground. The car will break the tires loose at 80 mph when shifts are made at or near the red line from 2nd to 3rd. Again that is scary fast and without the cars technology an average driver would find themselves in trouble.

Try turning off all the nannies in your Stingray or Z06 with PTM. Simple hold down the center button for 9 seconds and it turns off all stability control and traction control and if your an average driver you will have your handsful.

Lots of folks don't relies how much work the car is doing to make up for our lack of driving skills.

If you go to Spring Mountain Corvette driving school you would be surprised at how much Corvette technology make it seem like we are better drivers than we actually are. Or at least in my case that's true.

As an guy with average driving skills I can safely push the Callaway as long as I keep the stability control and traction control activated. Put the car in PTM mode in track 2 or race mode and you better be an above average driver or the car is going to kill you.

I also owned a Lamborghini Gallardo. While it was significantly less horsepower and torque anyone could drive the car to its limits. I don't care how hard you tried including with all traction and stability control completed disabled you could not get that platform sideways.

Go drive a Lamborghini Hurrican or an AudI R8 V-10
and the cars are incredibly stable. In fact some reviews will say that there on the pedestrian side when it come to driving a supercar.

As far as meeting your criteria for a sports car
the following manufacturers all make mid rear engine 2 seat convertible sports car.

Lamborghini, Audi, Maclaren, Ferrari.

I find it odd that guys that prefer the front mid engine GT platform are on this forum feeling threatened buy a Corvette with rear mid platform.

GM is not going to kill entry level sports cars in my opinion.

So their are currently 5 Front midengine GT models in the Corvette lineup Stingray / Z51 / GS/Z06/ soon to be released ZR1.

It would be smart for GM to offer a true Halo car in the Corvette lineup. In order to be on par with other world class super cars it has no other option than to go rear mid engine platform.

That way there is a Corvette for buyers from 60k to 150k plus.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 10-22-2017 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
VETTE-NV (10-23-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 04:05 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

So possible AWD. ?

Any thoughts on AWS? Doesn't the Turbo S also have AWS?

There is some video of the cameo in motion but not turning enough to see I think.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 10-22-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:22 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

here is a new imagination render mash up based on the proportions and lines of the cameo car.

The following 3 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
dmaxx3500 (10-22-2017), KrisColoradoLV (10-31-2017), pdiddy972 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 07:04 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
So possible AWD. ?

Any thoughts on AWS? Doesn't the Turbo S also have AWS?

There is some video of the cameo in motion but not turning enough to see I think.
I hope not. Awd is overrated, one of my cars was AWD and it is such a better car 2wd. Look at the fastest Porsche’s they are not awd.
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 07:07 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

here is a new imagination render mash up based on the proportions and lines of the cameo car.

thanks,but it looks like a new McLaren/ferrari
Old 10-22-2017, 07:26 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
thanks,but it looks like a new McLaren/ferrari
And that's a bad thing… Right?

I agree, that's why it's a mashup. Has a little Lambo in there too. The exercises just to see the lines and proportions mostly. The details will be hopefully, new and exciting from the Corvette team

I think if you squint hard, it's going to look similar to this. It has to, based on the camo images, it's going to fit in that box.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 10-22-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:15 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

little adjustment

Old 10-23-2017, 01:53 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by WKM
Seriously?
Attached Images      
Old 10-23-2017, 04:06 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory
I hope not. Awd is overrated, one of my cars was AWD and it is such a better car 2wd. Look at the fastest Porsche’s they are not awd.
AWD is for sissies....
Old 10-23-2017, 08:27 AM
WKM
Racer

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Seriously?
Ok thanks for the pictures if they go this route I will be a lot happier
Old 10-23-2017, 08:29 AM
WKM
Racer

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Seriously?
Ok thanks for the pictures if they go this route I will be a lot happier, just haven't seen anything suggesting a convertible
Old 10-23-2017, 10:36 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Old 10-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Vettesquid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 - zr-1

My two cents.
The mid-engine will be the 2019 ZR-1 model.
Launch approach similar to 1990-95 ZR-1, that had the first DOHC engine.
Concern with acceptance of mid-engine within marketing /management circles.
Having both formats available will enable testing of concept, before betting the farm.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:41 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Yep. I think they will be two different animals for different customers. Why not have both.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:53 PM
Vettesquid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisColoradoLV
-
-

I sure don't get excited when I see it. I had a disappointed feeling when I see these pictures.
-
-
This must be the development test for drive up window accessibility.

Also appears to have ginormous air intakes just behind the doors. Better be careful with small kids or pets in vicinity.

Shame camera guy didn't a picture of the interiror of that parked test mule.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:40 PM
WKM
Racer

This one doesn't look like a convertible, also the engine looks like it would not fit in front of the rear axle too me.

Last edited by WKM; 10-23-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Spy Photos Show C8 Mid Engine Corvette as Engineers Scramble to Cover it

Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vettesquid
This must be the development test for drive up window accessibility.

Also appears to have ginormous air intakes just behind the doors. Better be careful with small kids or pets in vicinity.

Shame camera guy didn't a picture of the interiror of that parked test mule.
I doubt you'd see much if this ME mule pic is typical with thick cladding on the door and possibly the dash along with test displays, etc.

Edit: Even so that door is really thick and shows an apparent air duct passing through it. More recent pics of potential ME's are more like a C7 door. Could this have been the actual ME door but now replaced to hide this obvious detail. I don't think I'm first to point this out.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 10-23-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:37 PM
uneedthis2
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

These may shed a bit of light for the people trying to put renderings together

The following 2 users liked this post by uneedthis2:
NemesisC5 (10-24-2017), StancyPants (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 04:47 PM
WKM
Racer

Ok what am I missing looks like a Ford Mustang front end

Quick Reply: New Spy Photos Show C8 Mid Engine Corvette as Engineers Scramble to Cover it