Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Engine Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Sadly the GovtS are killing the V8s, V10s, & V12s on the altar of global warming, climate change, white privilege, etc

This is why the new Ford GT Has a V6 & Ferrari, Porsche & others are embracing V6 & hybrids

Lambo is happily still crazy
Even though this might be worded a little harshly, Mjolitor is right.

Whatever engines end up in the C8, you can be sure that GM's choice in that regard will have been heavily influenced by CAFE. Corvette in not totally immune to CAFE; that has been proven, e.g., do you think focus groups told Tadge, et al, that they wanted AFM? And who asked for skip shift? Finally, and I will probably get some disagreement here, the C7 DI was implemented mainly because it enables relatively graceful AFM, and not because it arguably adds a few hp.

As demonstrated by dozens of other nameplates, one strategy that improves the EPA FE test results that affect CAFE calculations is small displacement with turbo boost. My guess is that Corvette will go in this direction at some point. V6 or V8 ?: I don't know (V-6 makes more technical sense, but V8 is strongly preferred by Corvette buyers). One or two turbos?: Again I can't guess, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that it or they will be electric-assisted.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:23 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
I won't believe anything until GM says what the facts are. Just speculation.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:44 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
I won't believe anything until GM says what the facts are. Just speculation.
Bye.

Love these posts. Why come here, go away.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:21 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

With all respect, I gotta agree GM has been EXTREMELY tight-lipped about this car.
They need to throw us a bone....
Old 08-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by 235265283...
Even though this might be worded a little harshly, Mjolitor is right.

Whatever engines end up in the C8, you can be sure that GM's choice in that regard will have been heavily influenced by CAFE. Corvette in not totally immune to CAFE; that has been proven, e.g., do you think focus groups told Tadge, et al, that they wanted AFM? And who asked for skip shift? Finally, and I will probably get some disagreement here, the C7 DI was implemented mainly because it enables relatively graceful AFM, and not because it arguably adds a few hp.

As demonstrated by dozens of other nameplates, one strategy that improves the EPA FE test results that affect CAFE calculations is small displacement with turbo boost. My guess is that Corvette will go in this direction at some point. V6 or V8 ?: I don't know (V-6 makes more technical sense, but V8 is strongly preferred by Corvette buyers). One or two turbos?: Again I can't guess, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that it or they will be electric-assisted.
there is talk of a wankel motor option upgrade for the c8.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:26 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 327 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Actually, its a ****** option.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:12 PM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
I don't think GM would venture to do that again, but I will say I did like the 70's concept for some odd reason.

Originally Posted by RJ-92
Actually, its a ****** option.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:30 PM
FastC7GS
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I do know this one fact a twin turbo V6 will be one of the available engines on the mid engine car. It may or may not be the only engine at launch.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:41 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

If we're talking about a CADILLAC mid-engine, then yes.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:32 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

For the past 12 months, I've driven the Cadillac ATS-V coupe on a daily basis with the 6-speed manual. I have to say the engine makes plenty of power and torque. It is a fun car to drive on twisty roads for sure. It'll make enough power for any C8.

However, the engine sound is definitely not a V-8. For the mid-engine Vette, the LF4 engine probably is a better fit than the LT1. Although the ATS-V is front engine, it won't be so easy in a front engine Corvette to fit under the low hood. The 6.2L without turbos fits nicely up front but with all the stuff that a twin-turbo DOHC has, it would be a better fit in the mid-engine where the hood line isn't an issue. Now, whether GM wants to do it that way, is another question.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:02 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Could be a large displacement two cylinder engine like the John Deere tractor of years past. Distinctive sound, plenty of torque.
no,i heard [person high up at buick] that Harley Davidson will make a v-3 eng with 3 super-chargers and it will be a buick ''wildcat'' named car
Old 08-31-2017, 12:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
For the past 12 months, I've driven the Cadillac ATS-V coupe on a daily basis with the 6-speed manual. I have to say the engine makes plenty of power and torque. It is a fun car to drive on twisty roads for sure. It'll make enough power for any C8.

However, the engine sound is definitely not a V-8. For the mid-engine Vette, the LF4 engine probably is a better fit than the LT1. Although the ATS-V is front engine, it won't be so easy in a front engine Corvette to fit under the low hood. The 6.2L without turbos fits nicely up front but with all the stuff that a twin-turbo DOHC has, it would be a better fit in the mid-engine where the hood line isn't an issue. Now, whether GM wants to do it that way, is another question.
The Mercedes engineers managed to fit a 4L DOHC V8 with twin turbo's in their AMG GT front engine sports cars, without having to raise the hood like GM had to do when they put a supercharger on top of the OHV V8 in the Z06.

Even the obsolete Cadillac XLR had a DOHC V8 with a supercharger on top, and it was also a front engine sports car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-31-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:23 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Sadly the GovtS are killing the V8s, V10s, & V12s on the altar of global warming, climate change, white privilege, etc

This is why the new Ford GT Has a V6 & Ferrari, Porsche & others are embracing V6 & hybrids
Ferrari has no production V6s (488 and Cali are both biTurbo V8s)
Old 08-31-2017, 05:10 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The Mercedes engineers managed to fit a 4L DOHC V8 with twin turbo's in their AMG GT front engine sports cars, without having to raise the hood like GM had to do when they put a supercharger on top of the OHV V8 in the Z06.

Even the obsolete Cadillac XLR had a DOHC V8 with a supercharger on top, and it was also a front engine sports car.
Hoods are higher.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:26 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Hoods are higher.
What are the measurements from the ground to the top of the hood at it's highest point, for both the C7 Z06 and the AMG GT?

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-31-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:28 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

What are the measurements from the ground to the top of the hood, at the base of the windshield, for both the C7 Z06 and the AMG GT?
I don't know the exact dimensions, but I've seen an AMG GT parked next to my Corvette and it had a higher hood.

If you want the numbers, go measure them. You argued that Mercedes could do it, you need to provide the proof.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I don't know the exact dimensions, but I've seen an AMG GT parked next to my Corvette and it had a higher hood.

If you want the numbers, go measure them. You argued that Mercedes could do it, you need to provide the proof.
Okay, I'll put you down as "I don't know what the **** I'm talking about" since you made the claim that the hood is higher on the AMG GT vs the C7 Z06, and now you can't back it up.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-31-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Engine Options

Old 08-31-2017, 05:46 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay, I'll put you down as "I don't know what the **** I'm talking about" since you made the claim that the hood is higher on the AMG GT.
You can do what you want. But you provided an answer "Well Mercedes can do it" and provide no proof other than posting a picture of an AMG GT.

I counter with, it has a higher hood. Why do I need to prove what I say? You're the one who is claiming it can be done? (my claim is it cannot be done without raising the hood, which is just the opposite of what you claimed)

This is what I never get about the internet, people bitch about things "Company X can do it" and they never go the distance to actually PROVE THEY DID IT. (I don't have to prove my point, it's either proven or disproven by you proving your point).

I want proof Joe, or I want you to not post it. It's really that simple. (This is the luxury of being the one who challenges an original statement, I CAN be lazy, you CAN'T).

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 08-31-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

You can do what you want. But you provided an answer "Well Mercedes can do it" and provide no proof other than posting a picture of an AMG GT.

I counter with, it has a higher hood. Why do I need to prove what I say? You're the one who is claiming it can be done? (my claim is it cannot be done without raising the hood, which is just the opposite of what you claimed)

This is what I never get about the internet, people bitch about things "Company X can do it" and they never go the distance to actually PROVE THEY DID IT. (I don't have to prove my point, it's either proven or disproven by you proving your point).

I want proof Joe, or I want you to not post it. It's really that simple. (This is the luxury of being the one who challenges an original statement, I CAN be lazy, you CAN'T).
Are you saying that the AMG GT Does not have a 4L V8 with twin turbo's sitting under it's hood? That's what I said.

Are you saying the hood is not higher on the C7 Z06 than it is on the C7 StingRay? I said it was.

You are so good at "eyeballing" dimensions, then eyeball this....

My C2 coupe is 49.8" height over the top and my C6 Z06 is 49.0" over the top.

What is the height of the hood at it's highest point on the C2?

What is the height of the hood at it's highest point on the C6 Z06?

Surely you have seen both a C2 and a C6 also, so you should be able to "eyeball" their respective dimensions, and tell me what they are., in inches.

Both my C6 Z06 and my C2 are set at factory trim heights. If I lowered my C2 so it had the same ground clearance as my C6 Z06, what would be the height over the top and over the hood be, and which car would then be lower over the top?

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-31-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:56 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Are you saying that the AMG GT Does not have a 4L V8 with twin turbo's sitting under it's hood? That's what I said.

Are you saying the hood is not higher on the C7 Z06 than it is on the C7 StingRay? I said it was.

You are so good at "eyeballing" dimensions, then eyeball this....

My C2 coupe is 49.8" height over the top and my C6 Z06 is 49.0" over the top.

What is the height of the hood at it's highest point on the C2?

What is the height of the hood at it's highest point on the C6 Z06?

Surely you have seen both a C2 and a C6 also, so you should be able to "eyeball" their respective dimensions, and tell me what they are., in inches.

Both my C6 Z06 and my C2 are set at factory trim heights. If I lowered my C2 so it had the same ground clearance as my C6 Z06, what would be the height over the top and over the hood be, and which car would then be lower over the top?
No, Joe. What you implied is that the hood line on the AMG is lower than the C7 Z06 because the Z06 has a supercharger. LT1Z51 said that he's seen the cars side by side and the AMG's hood line is higher. I'm hip that being obstinate is your deal, but you know full well what he was talking about so if you want to make the claim, YOU need to back it up. If not, then we'll put YOU into the "I don't know what the **** I'm talking about", and add it to your never ending, amazingly boring litany of C7 bashing. I'm truly amazed you've never been given a vacation to think about it.

BTW, bringing a C2 verses C6 ROOF height into the discussion was genius....if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance....

Last edited by jimmyb; 08-31-2017 at 07:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
LT1 Z51 (09-01-2017), tbrenny33 (09-03-2017)

Quick Reply: C8 Engine Options