Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to the future

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 05:38 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default Looking to the future

so back in the day I was lucky enough to get to know the c4 zr1 team that ran the 24 hour record

it's that time again folks to show Fredrich how to run hard all day long and go take the record back

here's how we do it, give the DOHC cyl head contract to merc marine, take the 1300 car, slap some big old fuel tanks onto it and the goofy parts that need to ride along per fia rules, and let it eat.

target 210+ average speed. sheesh, a c7r could do it now, but let's save this one for a STOCK lightly modded car with a factory production engine just like the last time

history repeats itself

so how do we do it, well based on my lessons learned same way. You get some sponors to pony up the bucks, go buy a new chevy (or get a mule like Morrison did), talk to my buddy graham with anough zeros on the check, and go rent nardo.

that's the only place this will work. so I want to be the PM, I have the institutional knowledge, lessons learned, engineering background, and the fire in my belly to do it. I know I can get the money, know the folks that can build the car. (like Dave M. and Dave H. Tadge, ect..)

know who can mod the car LPE still does pretty good work and I know graham has one left in him.

so now just go do it. I've got this on my bucket list and might just make it.

I sure hope so. I want to turn a few victory laps after it's all done in the old gal to cool her down and have my hands on the wheel to say "good job"

A few things I'd do different. The sponsors are all wanting air time so I'd get that done. The prior attempt only used 2 cars and sheesh, the ring is big enough to share so I'd double that amount to increase my odds of success (the car is an incremental cost on this effort)

I'd get LOTS of sponsors involved and make this a "big deal" so success must be ensured to the degree possible. 210 is NO JOKE to even go that fast much less average that fast

so a few "win themes" from the last effort. Faster pit stops. ZR1 team was worried about brake issues so they came in pretty easy.

BIG fuel tank so you don't have to make as many stops, more fuel efficiency, and of course one mod would be the tanks and the "rapid fill" feature that allows a big gulp type pit stop refill to get 110 gal into the car really fast.

the gearing and safety stuff will all needed to be there as well as goodyear sponsor to provide a tire (or any other tire guys who can "get er dun") this is a competition and a test of endurance like no other.

so what do you get for all of this huge investment. nuttin nada

a piece of paper. what is it worth everything you have proved the metal of the car and that it can go the distance.

why do this? because it's WAY overdue for chevy again to put their big foot down and show the world another world beater for a fraction of the cost of the fancy germans, and sheesh for god sake get rid of those pushrods so you can hum along at 6500 without overstressing it while "letting it eat"

and lastly, at 210, aero is a HUGE consideration, so if we want to, we can put whatever aero enhancements we like, after all the FIA is "run what you brung" and that means unlimited mods, no budget,

go fast, go hard, go long

those are the rules other than the goofy stuff about carrying the spare parts. and honestly, if you take any time at all stopped the record is gone so the car must have anvil like reliability so you can beat on it for a week and it runs like a sewing machine on overdrive

chevy can do this, and it's high time they did.

when I last talked to the heinrocket, dave m. stu, and the crazy guys who risked life and limb I saw something. A light come on in their eyes, a big grin, and the words "I'm in"

we have the technology, talent, the $, the place, and now all we need is the folks to pool those resources under a leader like Morrison and dave m who just said, what the heck, lets go for it!!!

Chevy kinda looked the other way similar to Zora and said sure as long as it doesn't cost us anything or make us look bad.

and ooooohhhhh what a risk that way. the lt5 had already had cam siezures from the little gal out back flooring them dead cold (should have seen graham's face)

so if the lt5 failed, chevy would have failed just like Porsche, Ferrari, ford, and all the other big boys who build some pretty outrageous equipment. all of em went fast. all of em broke

and that's I guess what made that a very special time where the stars aligned, and a few "small time" guys stepped up and spend a big old pile of cash to get a small worthless piece of paper.

and to this day, that piece of paper certifies just one thing that is worth more than anything, the boys at corvette had just built a machine that took the record away from a custom build thingie with an aircraft engine (Morton meteor) with a fully stock block off the assembly line engine

time to do likewise gents. I know some folks, who know some folks, who have $

Let's start with my personal hero Jay Leno. He's one guy I don't know, but based on the above, one of my peeps does.

and then we go to the big guys to get the $

and then we go to graham and mercury marine and say one thing

do it again

and they will know exactly where to take it from there as long as the zeros on the check are long enough and we can get nardo a few years out as this project isn't trivial

so what is in it for me. a simple a noble goal. go fast for a really long time!!!!:c ool:

this is for you Jim

Pirate Racing will rise from the ashes in your honor.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Size of fuel tank & everything else is spec'd by the sanctioning body. They try to even the scale between all cars as much as possible.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:36 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

thanks! I didn't know that

the FIA stuff is strange, and that makes the record run even tougher

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to the future

Quick Reply: Looking to the future