Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impact of the ZR1 introduction on the Mid Engine Corvette

Old 09-06-2017, 07:02 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Logical scenario.
I take it you have this on some authority...
Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 913 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Logical scenario.
I take it you have this on some authority...
Bits and pieces I have direct knowledge, they come from mostly supplier sources. But some of the latest stuff comes from a guy I know there. Some things I hear thru a co-worker of mine, he has some of his own sources. Automotive is very incestual, everyone knows people at other OEMs and at Suppliers.

The HP figures are conjecture based on what I know about how GM works and the program information. But I'd say something akin to those numbers are in the mix.

I won't say much more about the sources because apparently one of my Jim Mero posts pissed some people off. So I know some things I say get filtered up the chain to people at GM. They supposedly complained to former co-workers of mine. So people can take it how they will.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 09-06-2017 at 07:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tbrenny33 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:16 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,313 Likes on 765 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by LT4_CE
C2: 1963 - 1967. A five year model run. Bottom line? Chevy will do whatever it thinks will allow them to turn the most profit. This *is* America, after all!

I think the tail light issue is put to rest. The complainers make a lot of noise, but the popularity of the C7 has, at least temporarily, killed round (or round-ish) tail lights, imo.
In some of the rear spy shots here the lights appear "roundish". I hope

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cover-it.html

Last edited by BearZ06; 09-06-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:47 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Bits and pieces I have direct knowledge, they come from mostly supplier sources. But some of the latest stuff comes from a guy I know there. Some things I hear thru a co-worker of mine, he has some of his own sources. Automotive is very incestual, everyone knows people at other OEMs and at Suppliers.

The HP figures are conjecture based on what I know about how GM works and the program information. But I'd say something akin to those numbers are in the mix.

I won't say much more about the sources because apparently one of my Jim Mero posts pissed some people off. So I know some things I say get filtered up the chain to people at GM. They supposedly complained to former co-workers of mine. So people can take it how they will.
Do you think the first ME car will be a base model per say with like 550-600 NA hp or more of an all out exotic killer with 750+ TT/FI hp?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:08 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

I wasn't doubting you.
And I can't argue with your analysis/info...it is pretty much the conclusions I have come to independently.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:14 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Most certainly they were delays.

Mid-engine was originally a 2017 and there was no ZR1.

The program had issues with the powertrain and transmission, so it was delayed. Then the world turned upside down. Ford announced the GT350, Dodge announced the Hellcat. The program HAD to adjust. GM wanted a Flat Plane Crank and 700 HP now. Before it had been an NA DOHC making 650-675 (not much more than the Z06).

Then while that was just getting going. Ford dropped a bomb, the new GT. All of a sudden Corvette Racing had a problem as well. The ZR1 was created as a short term solution. The Mid-Engine was recast AGAIN. It was around this time the Z/28 Camaro was replaced with the ZR1 1LE as a Z/28 has to have an NA engine and the NA engine for the Mid-Engine now needed to make at least 750 because the ZR1 (an LT4 with a bigger supercharger) was going to push 725+ HP.

However durability issues with the new engines and the transmission on the ME caused those programs to slip another year to work out the bugs. Who knows if the Demon will cause GM to revisit more HP for the ZR1 and ME...
Assuming the above is correct (and I have no reason to doubt the poster), we see why GM is close mouthed on this. The Acura NSX is a great example of shooting themselves in the foot. Acura showed the car in the great Seinfeld/Leno Superbowl ad in 2012. Then, they had NO car to actually sell for 4 years so any hype they (Acura) generated was LONG gone by the time they actually intro'd the NSX. I think (!) that is but one reason the NSX has been such a monumental flop, sales wise.

It's easier for GM to let the car media and US to prognosticate on WHAT the car will be....
Old 09-09-2017, 10:25 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

I can't think of one Japanese Supercar that has sold well.
When guys think of high performance cars in that price range they think European first.
Rightly or wrongly, that's they way it seems to have gone.

The Corvette is a different story unto itself.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:12 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
Do you think the first ME car will be a base model per say with like 550-600 NA hp or more of an all out exotic killer with 750+ TT/FI hp?
They want to beat the GT. 650 is the minimum. I hear they really want a DOHC NA Engine. Can it make 650? Maybe.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:03 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I certainly can see why folks think and hope the ME car will be a Hyper Car but that is simply not been GMs history since 53. Each generation has debuted with a good model with lots of changes, but the faster/better/more expensive models have followed later in the generation. Frankly I would expect that to continue. Likely we will see the ME (C8) introduced at a $80k price point in 3 years as a new car with lots of new technology, but the more expensive models with the higher horsepower and higher costs will follow in 2-3 years. I think it is way too much to ask for GM to introduce the C8 at a $150k and 750+ hp level. Doesn't make sense as it is too risky to break in a new design with that much edge of the envelope technology.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

They want to beat the GT. 650 is the minimum. I hear they really want a DOHC NA Engine. Can it make 650? Maybe.
so come out big and bring the base version later! I don't know if they can make 650+ NA, that's really hard these days. I'd love a a TT V8 with 725+!!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

This question needs to be asked the other way around. If you believe a reasonably priced mid engine vette is 2 years away, you'd be a dummy to buy a zr1 next year.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NY09C6
This question needs to be asked the other way around. If you believe a reasonably priced mid engine vette is 2 years away, you'd be a dummy to buy a zr1 next year.
It won't be reasonably priced.

Expect it to cost MORE than a ZR1.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:05 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

And that is your opinion. An opinion not supported by the previous 7 generation introductions. I am not saying you are wrong, just that your thought that the flagship for the C8 being introduced in the first model year is not likely. Every previous generation has had a base model introduced first. At a price point higher than the previous generations base vehicle price point but not at a price point higher than the most expensive models of the previous generation.

I expect a base C8 will sell for $75-85k base cost. A year or two later a higher performance model will be introduced that will be around $100k. Than the 3rd or 4th year a very high performance limited edition model will be introduced that will be in the $130 range.

Right now we don't know anything, except that GM has had problems with their ZR1 prototypes that have delayed that launch over a year now. Hopefully they are doing better with the C8 but those Z06 and ZR1 problems are precisely why the C8 will not be introduced as a flagship model. Too many new things going on at once cause problems.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pkincy
And that is your opinion. An opinion not supported by the previous 7 generation introductions. I am not saying you are wrong, just that your thought that the flagship for the C8 being introduced in the first model year is not likely. Every previous generation has had a base model introduced first. At a price point higher than the previous generations base vehicle price point but not at a price point higher than the most expensive models of the previous generation.

I expect a base C8 will sell for $75-85k base cost. A year or two later a higher performance model will be introduced that will be around $100k. Than the 3rd or 4th year a very high performance limited edition model will be introduced that will be in the $130 range.

Right now we don't know anything, except that GM has had problems with their ZR1 prototypes that have delayed that launch over a year now. Hopefully they are doing better with the C8 but those Z06 and ZR1 problems are precisely why the C8 will not be introduced as a flagship model. Too many new things going on at once cause problems.
Except you are making the improper assumption that the mid-engine car is the C8.

It's NOT. It's a totally different car. The C8 is front engine.

Code for the mid-engine is ZERV, code name for the C8 is Y2XX.

This isn't hard people. If you still think a mid-engine is the regular C8 and the days of front engine Corvette's are done you are smoking some crazy ***** weed.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 09-13-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:12 PM
LightningBolt
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

More cooling issues?
I would imagine that would be a significant engineering challenge for every ME design.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:12 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

It won't be reasonably priced.

Expect it to cost MORE than a ZR1.
i mean if it has greater then ZR1 performance and is 5-10% more is that completely unreasonable?!
Old 09-14-2017, 06:36 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

i mean if it has greater then ZR1 performance and is 5-10% more is that completely unreasonable?!
I would argue the current Z06 is unreasonably priced so yes.

Get notified of new replies

To Impact of the ZR1 introduction on the Mid Engine Corvette

Old 09-14-2017, 10:38 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

I would argue the current Z06 is unreasonably priced so yes.
really?! Ok well your intitled to your opinion. I have a hard time calling something unreasonably priced when it outperforms cars at 2x it's price.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:37 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

really?! Ok well your intitled to your opinion. I have a hard time calling something unreasonably priced when it outperforms cars at 2x it's price.
I would further argue those cars are significantly overpriced. Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, et al
Old 09-14-2017, 02:54 PM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

And that is your opinion. An opinion not s

Right now we don't know anything, except that GM has had problems with their ZR1 prototypes that have delayed that launch over a year now.
Based on what info? People assumed it would be out now but from my sources there are no issues and it's on time as they have planned it.

I like how people assume there is a problem when cars don't come out when they want them to. pfff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Impact of the ZR1 introduction on the Mid Engine Corvette