Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heard a tip on the C8

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
If he was in the know he would be under NDA and leaking info about any upcoming car (especially a Corvette) would result in loss of job and likely a major lawsuit. I am under NDA all the time for various projects and would never dream of leaking info.

I don't disagree with your statement at all, I'm only telling you what this guy said. Not vouching for the veracity of his statements. I imagine he figured he didn't tell me anything earth-shattering that wasn't already out there on the internet in some shape or form. I didn't make this post to start any arguments, only to relay what had happened to me this morning.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:42 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

People like "being in the know" no matter who they are. That makes people subject to being easily fooled. All these stories amount to is gossip. You know a guy who knows a guy so immediately you rush to this public forum to "spill the beans" and enjoy kudos for being another person "in the know." Yes, people attempt to cover their butts by adding a disclaimer: "It may not be true." but they are still the ones spreading the gossip. The fact is anyone actually in a position to know has signed a non disclosure agreement that, if they do disclose something, will result in their immediate termination. How many people would be willing to risk losing their jobs just to fuel the rumor mill? Would you if you were in such a position? So what does that say about the nature of the information? Could it, in fact, be intentional disinformation designed to keep you excited? A few days ago I talked to an Air Force General who told me the government is about to disclose all it knows about UFOs. Only the timing is not quite right yet. But it will be Real Soon Now. You can count on it!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

I was abducted by UFO's once, the probe part was really uncomfortable.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:45 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Just wait until 2025 and get the flubber powered, flying C9. I also know a guy, but he couldn't tell me how he knew..
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 03:25 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

People love to be in the know, but what they love more is making sure you know they're in the know. Even if, or especially if, they know squat.

It's human nature to want the scoop on anything new, but patience did not get to be a virtue without good reason. I can wait...

Old 08-18-2017, 03:37 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Not overly impressed with mid engine cars as I don't like the engine in the back seat.
Sportscars don't need no stinkin' back seat.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 PM
FLATJ
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

^^^ True, but mine needs a place to put my golf clubs!
Old 08-18-2017, 07:41 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Most "inside" information turns out to be BS. But not all of it.

When the C7 was under development, there was a lot of talk that the engine would be a 5.5L like the race car. For a while, it seemed almost guaranteed.

But a member here, who I won't "out" because it could cause him trouble in the auto industry where he works, put a very short statement in one of his posts like "The new engine will not be a 5.5L" Simple but direct.
Everyone thought he was a fool, but he was right.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:09 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Most "inside" information turns out to be BS. But not all of it.

But a member here, who I won't "out" because it could cause him trouble in the auto industry where he works, put a very short statement in one of his posts like "The new engine will not be a 5.5L" Simple but direct. Everyone thought he was a fool, but he was right.
That's not really very impressive. it's a negative statement. If the engine were anything but a 5.5L he turns up being "right." That's a whole lot of territory and a pretty safe bet. I would be surprised if this point were not brought up as a valid criticism during the time period when this speculation was rampant. However, an important part of a disinformation campaign is to salt the rumor with some sort of verifiable truth, some nugget for people to verify, then swallow the whole thing because they "know for certain" that the nugget is true. That's what the government did with the SR-71, for example. All it took was the suggestion that it was a UFO to cause a whole lot of curious people to spend a whole lot of energy running in the wrong direction.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,406 Likes on 4,218 Posts

The company that makes the body panels for the C7 has publicly stated they're going to be making panels for a new car, and will continue making the C7 panels alongside those new ones for a couple of years. Is that new car the ME car? Seems logical, but who knows. If it is, though, that's pretty clear evidence the ME car will not be a replacement for the C7, at least not immediately,

Last edited by Red Mist Rulz; 08-18-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ette-for-2019/
Old 08-18-2017, 10:36 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Ah yes, the media.
Anyone remember this article found in Car & Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/exc...st-photos-news
According to that little gem, you can drive into your local Chevy dealer RIGHT NOW and buy one of those mid-engine Corvettes. We all must have been sleeping when GM announced the mid-engine earlier this year.
This is why I just can't get excited when another rumor hits the forums because there have been others that just don't materialize.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:36 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Acenines3
I would wait till 2020 till the bugs are worked out.
I used to reason like this too. Life is too short and uncertain. My coworker, just turned 30 years old, was just diagnosed with lymphoma. If you can swing it, buy that car now. Don't delay, tomorrow may be very different.
sunsalem (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 01:30 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
If he was in the know he would be under NDA and leaking info about any upcoming car (especially a Corvette) would result in loss of job and likely a major lawsuit. I am under NDA all the time for various projects and would never dream of leaking info.
Two Michelin engineers thought nothing of telling me the size of the Z06's front and rear tires at NAIAS 2013, when the C7 Stingray released. If you remember, many questioned IF there would be a Z06. So, three days after the Stingray debuted, I knew the size of the Z06 tires...i.e. the fact that the Z06 was coming the following year.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:27 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue666's
I don't disagree with your statement at all, I'm only telling you what this guy said. Not vouching for the veracity of his statements. I imagine he figured he didn't tell me anything earth-shattering that wasn't already out there on the internet in some shape or form. I didn't make this post to start any arguments, only to relay what had happened to me this morning.
I didn't read anything in your OP that was fact checkable. Just some meandering rumors some guy told you that cannot be fact checked. Nothing to put any stock in, IMO.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-19-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:57 AM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Go To Carlisle

If you can wait till Corvettes at Carlisle, you will learn much more than a rumor thread on the internet.
There has always been GM Corvette Plant department managers there under the GM tent.
Great Corvette People just like us.
They love talking to you about the new corvettes, current and future.
Early Morning is best.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:13 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

First, we all "know" it will be a Caddy (probably in 2019) and not a Vette model for two more years.

Second, GM like the military who releases info in "Marine Engineering Log" and "Aviation Welk" partly to confuse the enemy but always with some truth, this may be a controlled false leak by GM!

Some might remember the old move "Romanoff and Juliet" with Peter Ustinov and Sandra Dee. It was a comedy where Peter Ustinov would go to the US and Russian Embassies in this small country and tell one the other knew about their plans.

Toward the end the Russian ambassador said something like, "We know they know, we know, they know, we know about ****.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-19-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Heard a tip on the C8

Old 08-19-2017, 09:59 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
The company that makes the body panels for the C7 has publicly stated they're going to be making panels for a new car, and will continue making the C7 panels alongside those new ones for a couple of years. Is that new car the ME car? Seems logical, but who knows. If it is, though, that's pretty clear evidence the ME car will not be a replacement for the C7, at least not immediately,
Those same "facts" could also apply to the so-called ZR1. It has some new body panels and most likely will be run concurrently with the base C7.

So, a company could be making new body panels for the Corvette, and they could have nothing to do with a mid engine design.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:46 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

True.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JerryU
First, we all "know" it will be a Caddy (probably in 2019) and not a Vette model for two more years.

Second, GM like the military who releases info in "Marine Engineering Log" and "Aviation Welk" partly to confuse the enemy but always with some truth, this may be a controlled false leak by GM!

Some might remember the old move "Romanoff and Juliet" with Peter Ustinov and Sandra Dee. It was a comedy where Peter Ustinov would go to the US and Russian Embassies in this small country and tell one the other knew about their plans.

Toward the end the Russian ambassador said something like, "We know they know, we know, they know, we know about ****.

Those of us in the business used to call it "Aviation Leak".
JerryU (08-19-2017)

Quick Reply: Heard a tip on the C8