Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is It Possible The Car is a New Design Z06 and Not a ZR1 at all?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:06 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Well...Two points:

1. Mr.Tapp doesn't know.
2. He called it a "ZR-1" not a "ZR1",
The following users liked this post:
LT4_CE (09-05-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:09 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by choppychop
They are having serious problems trying to top the C6 ZR1... as far as the most track capable Corvette ever made...
The C6 ZR1 is still the most track capable corvette ever at the moment, the C7Z(in auto form) shines on the drag strip, ZR1 is superior everywhere else.
Dave Schotz (09-04-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 01:09 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Best Nurburgring lap time (with JIM MERO driving) for the C6 ZR1 was 7:19:63

Best Nurburgring lap time (with Christian Gebhardt driving) for the C7 Z06 was 7:13:90

I would bet Mero could do a faster time than Gebhardt.
LT4_CE (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 03:55 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by choppychop
The 2012 and 2013 ZR1 fully loaded came in close to $130,000. So why do you think the brand new ZR1 couldn't hit $140K

Unsubscribed from this nonsense...
Too bad you unsubscribed, because now you won't get the benefit of my keen and insightful observations!

The gap between the C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 in terms of pricing was pretty wide. I just don't see that gap being maintained with the C7, since it wasn't with the C7 Z06. Plus, they want this thing to SELL! And pricing it very high relative to the rest of the model line is not the way to achieve that, imo.

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
There's no need to speculate. All you have to do is look to the past and see how GM released the cars.
Yeah, in the past they released the C6 ZR1 *before* the C6 Grand Sport! Okay, so I agree with the general point you're making. This is in all likelihood a ZR1 and not an improved Z06. And yes, the way they've done things in the past is a good indicator of how they will do them in the future. It's just not a guarantee. So as usual, until it's released, all any of us are doing is speculating.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:15 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 975 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
The C6 ZR1 is still the most track capable corvette ever at the moment, the C7Z(in auto form) shines on the drag strip, ZR1 is superior everywhere else.
Uh, No...
Old 09-05-2017, 04:19 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT4_CE
Too bad you unsubscribed, because now you won't get the benefit of my keen and insightful observations!

The gap between the C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 in terms of pricing was pretty wide. I just don't see that gap being maintained with the C7, since it wasn't with the C7 Z06. Plus, they want this thing to SELL! And pricing it very high relative to the rest of the model line is not the way to achieve that, imo.

Yeah, in the past they released the C6 ZR1 *before* the C6 Grand Sport! Okay, so I agree with the general point you're making. This is in all likelihood a ZR1 and not an improved Z06. And yes, the way they've done things in the past is a good indicator of how they will do them in the future. It's just not a guarantee. So as usual, until it's released, all any of us are doing is speculating.
Apples and oranges regarding the conversation. We're discussing changes "within" a model in this regard.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:32 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Apples and oranges regarding the conversation. We're discussing changes "within" a model in this regard.
Well, I was actually trying to agree with you. The chances are very high that we're looking at this being a ZR1. I was also making an additional point that we can't always go by the way Chevy has done things in the past, especially when they haven't done them that way recently.

When you say there's no need to speculate, what you're saying (in a practical sense) is that you know it's a ZR1. Of course you don't, unless you can predict the future. Translated, that means what you said is there's no need to speculate when speculating. Sort of ironic, imo.

*edit*
I just want to also mention that this isn't like when the C6 ZR1 speculation was taking place, because then we had the NA Z06 and the supercharged ZR1; the differences were obvious. In this case, IF Chevy wanted to fix the heat soak issues with the Z06, they *might* just do it. As you point out, unlikely. It's also likely they won't do any more than they've already done starting with model year 2017 to address the Z06. I know I'm being overly OCD, but I just don't like to state things as fact that aren't. Of course, you're still more than likely correct!

Last edited by LT4_CE; 09-05-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:09 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT4_CE
Well, I was actually trying to agree with you. The chances are very high that we're looking at this being a ZR1. I was also making an additional point that we can't always go by the way Chevy has done things in the past, especially when they haven't done them that way recently.

When you say there's no need to speculate, what you're saying (in a practical sense) is that you know it's a ZR1. Of course you don't, unless you can predict the future. Translated, that means what you said is there's no need to speculate when speculating. Sort of ironic, imo.

*edit*
I just want to also mention that this isn't like when the C6 ZR1 speculation was taking place, because then we had the NA Z06 and the supercharged ZR1; the differences were obvious. In this case, IF Chevy wanted to fix the heat soak issues with the Z06, they *might* just do it. As you point out, unlikely. It's also likely they won't do any more than they've already done starting with model year 2017 to address the Z06. I know I'm being overly OCD, but I just don't like to state things as fact that aren't. Of course, you're still more than likely correct!
I guess that's a backhanded something or other?? I understand you were both agreeing with me and not at the same time. That's your prerogative.

i am quite sure it's a ZR1. Call it...intuition. Out ! )
Old 09-06-2017, 03:38 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

I guess that's a backhanded something or other?? I understand you were both agreeing with me and not at the same time. That's your prerogative.

i am quite sure it's a ZR1. Call it...intuition. Out ! )
It's not an insult, so that's good, I suppose. I agree with you, but only up to a point... so it's just a matter of the degree of certainty. I'm this way with everything. I won't say 100% until I know it's 100%. That doesn't mean I'm not at a high number, even 99%.

Quick Reply: Is It Possible The Car is a New Design Z06 and Not a ZR1 at all?