So If C8 Is Supposed To Be a 2021 Car Out In 2020 Where Are The Spy Pics? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C8 General Discussion
The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it make take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So If C8 Is Supposed To Be a 2021 Car Out In 2020 Where Are The Spy Pics?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
FastC7GS
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Posts: 96
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default So If C8 Is Supposed To Be a 2021 Car Out In 2020 Where Are The Spy Pics?

Surly it would have to be testing already even if its a 2022 model thats still only 3 model years away. Where are the front engine 2021 test mules? Answer there isn't any!

Last edited by FastC7GS; 08-28-2017 at 03:30 PM.
FastC7GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
Quinten33
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The ZR1 testing is just wrapping up and that mid-engine is in its middle stages. If the C8 is front engine(which I hope for), on-road testing doesn't need to start until 2018. I'm sure the engines are mostly finished and any significant suspension advancments are already being tested, but they wouldn't be road testing a near-production body until 2019. It would make no sense to sell a ZR1 for as little as two years when they've spent a year developing it and a lot of money on ZR1-specific parts. Didn't the C6 ZR1 sell for 4 or 5 model years?


The Corvette team must be getting a kick out of everyone's curiosity...
Quinten33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
larryfdx
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Posts: 124
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastC7GS View Post
Surly it would have to be testing already even if its a 2022 model thats still only 3 model years away. Where are the front engine 2021 test mules? Answer there isn't any!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cover-it.html
larryfdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
FastC7GS
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Posts: 96
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryfdx View Post
That's what I mean. That's what leads me to believe there will be only a mid engine Corvette when its all said and done. If a new front engined car was in the making we would be seeing mules of it already.
FastC7GS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FastC7GS For This Useful Post:
Vette-Pilot (10-15-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
Steven Bell
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor'15
 
Steven Bell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 12,486
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,284 Posts
Default

Let's get through the ZR1 and mid-engine first......
Steven Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven Bell For This Useful Post:
2016 Z06 (10-18-2017), jimmyb (09-05-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
roadbike56
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '16-'17
 
roadbike56's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Springs NC
Posts: 3,337
Thanked 477 Times in 380 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten33 View Post
The ZR1 testing is just wrapping up and that mid-engine is in its middle stages. If the C8 is front engine(which I hope for), on-road testing doesn't need to start until 2018. I'm sure the engines are mostly finished and any significant suspension advancments are already being tested, but they wouldn't be road testing a near-production body until 2019. It would make no sense to sell a ZR1 for as little as two years when they've spent a year developing it and a lot of money on ZR1-specific parts. Didn't the C6 ZR1 sell for 4 or 5 model years?


The Corvette team must be getting a kick out of everyone's curiosity...

What makes anyone think we haven't seen the 2022 front engine C8? Do you really think some of those camo ZR1s are pure C7? Really?
Need to go back and read "All Corvettes Are Red".
I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that suspension changes, computer changes and engine/transmission changes are all being tested in some of the mules we've seen.
roadbike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roadbike56 For This Useful Post:
NytmereZ (09-14-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
NoOne
CF Senior Member
 
NoOne's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Auburn Hills MI
Posts: 23,898
Thanked 92 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Because what you see is sometimes not what you get.

Chrysler surprised everyone with a RWD LX and the mules were RWD cars with the front wheel drive body work bolted, incredibly poorly, to the new structure.

They looked terrible and nobody noticed.

Part of the job of the cammo is not just to disguise the car but also its dimensions so its not easy to tell if an inch or two has been added/subtracted. It also can mask poor fitting body panels when trying to make one car look like another.

BIW mules usually don't show up till 12-18 months before production.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoOne For This Useful Post:
roadbike56 (09-05-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #8
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!
 
LT1 Z51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Troy & Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 3,928
Thanked 388 Times in 278 Posts
Default

Mid engine is NOT the C8.

C8 will be at least 2021. When I worked on the 2014 C7 we got sourced in July 2010, first Mules were the following spring wearing C6 bodies in 2011 (with a mishmash of parts like Zeta Camaro clusters). IVERs started being build in early 2012. Those use production bodies. So for a 2021 car which launches in July of 2020 you'd see Mules in early 2017 and IVERs in early 2018.

Mules don't usually draw attention unless they have body modifications. The C7 Mules in C6 bodies had new wheels and some extra holes cut in the bumper but otherwise looked like C6's from the outside.

However if we really haven't seen C8 Mules yet, then the C8 won't come out until 2022 (launching in July of 2021). It's possible it slipped. The ZR1 (now a 2019) did as did the Mid-Engine (again, now a 2020)
LT1 Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LT1 Z51 For This Useful Post:
Z06NJ (09-07-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!
 
LT1 Z51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Troy & Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 3,928
Thanked 388 Times in 278 Posts
Default

LT1 Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:50 AM   #10
RJ-92
CF Senior Member
 
RJ-92's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 8,630
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Z51 View Post
Mid engine is NOT the C8.

C8 will be at least 2021. When I worked on the 2014 C7 we got sourced in July 2010, first Mules were the following spring wearing C6 bodies in 2011 (with a mishmash of parts like Zeta Camaro clusters). IVERs started being build in early 2012. Those use production bodies. So for a 2021 car which launches in July of 2020 you'd see Mules in early 2017 and IVERs in early 2018.

Mules don't usually draw attention unless they have body modifications. The C7 Mules in C6 bodies had new wheels and some extra holes cut in the bumper but otherwise looked like C6's from the outside.

However if we really haven't seen C8 Mules yet, then the C8 won't come out until 2022 (launching in July of 2021). It's possible it slipped. The ZR1 (now a 2019) did as did the Mid-Engine (again, now a 2020)
With such a long and intensive development process how do they end up with such issues like the over heating problems of the z06? Hard to believe GM wasn't aware of this before it went to market.
RJ-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #11
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!
 
LT1 Z51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Troy & Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 3,928
Thanked 388 Times in 278 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ-92 View Post
With such a long and intensive development process how do they end up with such issues like the over heating problems of the z06? Hard to believe GM wasn't aware of this before it went to market.
Z06 was co-developed with the base car/Z51. Purely for marketing reasons was it held back an extra model year. It could have launched in model year 2014.

IVER base cars were used as mules for the Z06 model. So if things like the overheating didn't show up in the analytics and CAE at the time then it's likely why they happened in real life (not every scenario is captures in virtual development). Not a lot of real miles put on the cars until they almost went to production, and even then, nothing versus what a fleet of customers put on.

The ZR1 (since the Z06 is rather mature now) benefits from all the lessons learned on that car (and it's much cheaper to build prototypes since you just take a production Z06 and upgrade it). So I'd say the ZR1 shouldn't have the same teething issue the Z06 had.
LT1 Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 36,413
Thanked 856 Times in 628 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten33 View Post
The ZR1 testing is just wrapping up and that mid-engine is in its middle stages. If the C8 is front engine(which I hope for), on-road testing doesn't need to start until 2018. I'm sure the engines are mostly finished and any significant suspension advancments are already being tested, but they wouldn't be road testing a near-production body until 2019. It would make no sense to sell a ZR1 for as little as two years when they've spent a year developing it and a lot of money on ZR1-specific parts. Didn't the C6 ZR1 sell for 4 or 5 model years?


The Corvette team must be getting a kick out of everyone's curiosity...
Originally, the C6 ZR1 was going to be run for 3 years(2009, 2010 and 2012) at 2,000 a year production. Because it was released just as the economy was going into the toilet and then GM declared bankruptcy in June 2009, that delayed the work on the C7, production of the C6 ZR1 was very low and spread out longer than originally planned.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #13
elegant
CF Senior Member
 
elegant's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,126
Thanked 60 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Right here at the street testing M-E mules:
Attached Images
 
elegant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!
 
LT1 Z51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Troy & Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 3,928
Thanked 388 Times in 278 Posts
Default

So there's another one in the background of that pic.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 10-12-2017 at 11:35 AM.
LT1 Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
vetteLT193
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jul 2002
Location: Tallahassee fl
Posts: 1,171
Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Corvette production runs are long. GM finally figured out they could profit more by holding back updates and releasing a 'new generation' car but keeping the platform the same back in the C5 generation. The C6 is really a C5.5... We will get the C7.5 long before anything truly new. Figure a new body and tweaked interior, different engine, but same platform.
vetteLT193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #16
keagan
CF Senior Member
 
keagan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,924
Thanked 75 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Z51 View Post
So there’s another one in the background of that pic.
2 actually
keagan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keagan For This Useful Post:
LT1 Z51 (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #17
FrankLP
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
C5 of Month Finalist 2016
 
FrankLP's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: Husker Nation
Posts: 2,292
Thanked 101 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keagan View Post
2 actually
Someone on another thread zoomed in on this and actual pointed out 3 in the background. Another poster was in the area and counted >4 C8s road testing!
FrankLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:09 AM   #18
StancyPants
CF Member
 
StancyPants's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 66
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteLT193 View Post
Corvette production runs are long. GM finally figured out they could profit more by holding back updates and releasing a 'new generation' car but keeping the platform the same back in the C5 generation. The C6 is really a C5.5... We will get the C7.5 long before anything truly new. Figure a new body and tweaked interior, different engine, but same platform.
I could see them using a c7 space frame with new front and rear sub frames to accommodate the mid engine and market this as the Zora— that may keep costs relatively low compared to other mid engine super cars. This is all speculative of course
StancyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #19
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!
 
LT1 Z51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Troy & Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 3,928
Thanked 388 Times in 278 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLP View Post
Someone on another thread zoomed in on this and actual pointed out 3 in the background. Another poster was in the area and counted >4 Mid Engine Cars road testing!
Fixed it for you.

Mid Engine <> C8. For the unaware <> means IS NOT in logic.
LT1 Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:26 AM   #20
rgregory
CF Senior Member
 
rgregory's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 4,662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Z51 View Post
Fixed it for you.

Mid Engine <> C8. For the unaware <> means IS NOT in logic.
I have had my 1970 Vette for 21 years and had 2 C5s. I bought a Gallardo 9 years ago and I love the lighter front end (I removed the awd) a mid engine Vette will be awesome.
rgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • So If C8 Is Supposed To Be a 2021 Car Out In 2020 Where Are The Spy Pics?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    FS: 20/21" ADV10 Forged Wheels for Corvette C6 Z06 ThrottleRanch C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted 4 09-26-2017 08:53 AM
    So if C8 isn't going mid-engine and mid engine is going Cadillac...where? rkbk C8 General Discussion 8 04-10-2017 05:04 PM
    TracksUnlimited at Barber Aug 20-21 4hrs/Day e3pres Autocrossing & Roadracing 0 08-05-2016 08:13 PM
    Tire size for 20/21 setup rhunley14 C7 Z06 Discussion 7 01-27-2016 10:16 AM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 AM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: