Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible sighting.... Hybrid.....???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:18 PM
MSGE
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible sighting.... Hybrid.....???

Hey all. Hopefully this doesn't let anybody down. There's not much juicy detail here.

I think I may have actually spotted test cars recently on a road trip. Out of respect for GM, Chevrolet, and the Corvette team, I'm not going to give the exact location, but I will tell you I was leaving Las Vegas and taking a scenic route.

I saw, (and even met and talked to one of) a team of engineers with about five to eight vehicles if memory serves me. Mostly, they were ultra vanilla commuters of some kind. I pulled into a stop in the middle of nowhere near some very choice driving roads. Needed food and potty, but as soon as I pulled in I saw the team with vehicles lined up. They were uncovering one or two at the end of the line that looked very performance oriented.

They noticed my interest and immediately covered them back up. I think I actually snapped a few pictures (this was over a month ago, wasn't on forum yet), and I'll look later and try to upload them.

The engineer I spoke with was a really cool guy. He was in line behind me for a sandwich. I always take my surroundings into account, so I noticed the guy looked like an engineer, but I didn't want to bother him. But after a minute he made a call and had an engineer conversation with his team, so I engaged him.

I knew he wouldn't give me details about the fun things under the covers, so I didn't even bother to ask, especially early in a conversation, but I was really just interested in what he did. (I hadn't even purchased my vette yet, so couldn't bring that up)

We had some pretty good rapport, probably because I was just interested in how cool his job was in general, so I was able to glean a little info about what they were doing. Not that he came out and said, "we are here doing x,y,z" of course, but he said enough.

They were working on power delivery in a hybrid system. I'm saying that part with certainty. Whether or not that hybrid system was on the toy behind the curtain, or on the vanilla commuter is completely 100% unknown to me.

He did specifically say they were working on getting more mileage out of whatever it was. That could easily translate to any vehicle, so don't go drawing conclusions or putting words on my fingers.
(btw, the commuter might have been full electric or plug in or hybrid, not sure, but I saw what looked like charging input covers on them near the front)

In any case with world wide automotive trends in consideration, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few kilowatts going through the drive train on the mid engine version of C8. That's with or without my experience somewhere outside of Las Vegas.

Just some fodder for anybody who may be interested. (Honestly I'm only tangentially interested. I can't afford a new Corvette, especially not the upscale version with the engine in the right place. I wrote this just because I remembered the encounter and thought some of you fine individuals would enjoy hearing about it)

PS: For all you negative nillies and spoil sports out there, heed these words:
I'm not saying the new vette is a hybrid.
I'm not even saying what I saw was a new vette.
All I'm saying is I met an engineer (and saw a team of the mafqs) outside Vegas with some hardware they were pretty serious about keeping under wraps. Would they do that with a Camaro? Yeah probably. Did I see or hear enough to draw conclusions? Definitely not.
Take it with a grain of salt and comment if you like. I'll look for the pics on my phone and try to figure out how to upload them (new to forum, clearly).

Cheers

Last edited by MSGE; 09-05-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

While I kept reading passed the misspelled Chevrolet and continued pass the potty remark, I stopped somewhere around where you say you know what an engineer looks like. GL with whatever you said
The following users liked this post:
BLKTA (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:59 PM
MSGE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson
While I kept reading passed the misspelled Chevrolet and continued pass the potty remark, I stopped somewhere around where you say you know what an engineer looks like. GL with whatever you said
Murray, you are a precious little guy. The r and o are backwards! That's why it was wrong. Chev-RO-let. I've been saying it wrong my whole life. I'm going to correct that if the site lets me. Spelling is not my strong point.

Also, the potty thing was pretty funny. Silly golfers might not get it, silly. It's okay, I'm sure you hit that six iron real good. Meanwhile, let's focus on cars shall we?

If you're not interested just don't comment. I do appreciate the spelling thing though.

If you can't spot an engineer it's probably because you are too focused on how you look on your follow through (I'd like to see your hands a little higher, but that's just me).

Dude was clearly an engineer. For starters, most people don't carry around eight thousand dollar Panasonic toughbooks in sandwhich shops. Also, nerds know nerds. I called him out on being a nerd when he asked how I knew he was an engineer, and we laughed about it (I also brought up the laptop).

Take it or leave it, Mr Anderson. The post was for you guys, not for me.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:02 PM
MSGE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson
Also, you spelled past wrong. It's paaasss-t, with a "T". Not pass, paaassss-t.

GL
Old 09-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MSGE
Murray, you are a precious little guy. The r and o are backwards! That's why it was wrong. Chev-RO-let. I've been saying it wrong my whole life. I'm going to correct that if the site lets me. Spelling is not my strong point.

Also, the potty thing was pretty funny. Silly golfers might not get it, silly. It's okay, I'm sure you hit that six iron real good. Meanwhile, let's focus on cars shall we?

If you're not interested just don't comment. I do appreciate the spelling thing though.

If you can't spot an engineer it's probably because you are too focused on how you look on your follow through (I'd like to see your hands a little higher, but that's just me).

Dude was clearly an engineer. For starters, most people don't carry around eight thousand dollar Panasonic toughbooks in sandwhich shops. Also, nerds know nerds. I called him out on being a nerd when he asked how I knew he was an engineer, and we laughed about it (I also brought up the laptop).

Take it or leave it, Mr Anderson. The post was for you guys, not for me.
* 8 iron
Old 09-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MSGE
Also, you spelled past wrong. It's paaasss-t, with a "T". Not pass, paaassss-t.

GL
I might have looked at it for 5 minutes and changed it from one to the other a half dozen (6) times and nothing looked correct.

Appreciate the heads up
Old 09-06-2017, 12:03 AM
MSGE
Intermediate

LoL.

Murray Anderson, you're alright by me. I went and did a little warm up at the green and range today. (Honestly, seeing a golfing picture really nudged me to it, thank you)

Took my roommate, his second time on range/chipping. We both had only 9 irons, both chipped at least once on the green, and then he was killing it on the range!!! It was awesome! He was nailing it about 150y on his second time on range with 9 iron! Most were about 135y, but that's exactly where the black flag was, which he was trying to hit. I was like, "no really, this isn't normal". He kept saying, "it's begginers luck."
Me: -_-

His swing was all kinds of jacked up though. Severe baseball swing (he never played), but he was nailing it.

Anyways. Enough of that. Totally just thread jacked my own thread and took it golfing.

=======================
Real Post about Cars Below:

I looked at the photos, I don't think it was even a Corvette. Maybe a Camaro. I don't think whatever it was was MR. I can still post it if wanted. This should probably go in Random Stuff or General forum though instead of C8. And who knows, the testing could have been relevant across the brand of Chevrolet.

Any body who is disappointed, sorry about that. That is what my hind quarters looked like. Right there.

Like I said, I have the pictures, just comment and I'll post them. PROBABLY NOT A CORVETTE <=disclaimer apology =>SORRY ABOUT THAT. It was a while ago. Probably six weeks. And didn't have my Vette yet, so wasn't as focused on that aspect as the possible car.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 AM
MSGE
Intermediate

*Chipped in at least once.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible sighting.... Hybrid.....???

Quick Reply: Possible sighting.... Hybrid.....???