Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Birth

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Joe, what I am saying is there is not much fuel savings with smaller displacement motors, pressurized, over big N/A V8s of the same HP. If you look at EPA fuel economy numbers you will see the composite differences on similar power engines is small--usually less than 10%, and the highway numbers often favor the big V8s because you can hang such a big overdrive on them to lope along the highway.

Have a nice day.
We are in 100% agreement. Around town, the little engines have the advantage as the lower gearing they require actually increases the torque to the drive wheels, and when they are idling at a traffic light they use less gas, but on the highway they don't shine so bright. Sure a tiny 4 or 6 cylinder engine can get good gas mileage on the highway, if it doesn't have any horsepower, and lets gearing do the job. Start increasing the horsepower on that little engine and the gas mileage starts dropping.

Like the supercharged little engine in my daily driver. On the highway I can get 30.5 MPG on a 200 mile trip, just cruising along at 2,500 RPM, not in boost.

I can drive(as I have) the same 200 mile trip in my N/A huge V8 in my Z06 and get 31.2 MPG, just loafing along at 1500 RPM. I don't need lower gearing to let the huge V8 perform as expected.

But the BIG difference is, when I go WOT to pass a slow car on a two lane highway, which one (my DD or my Z06, and both weigh the same) wastes absolutely no time in the opposing lane of traffic? 185HP vs 505HP, the 185 HP loses the acceleration contest, and maybe my life it I don't get back in my lane quick enough.

Now, soup up that little engine in my DD from it's 185HP to 505HP, and see if it can still get 30.5 MPG, cruising on the highway. I presented example of little engines with BIG horsepower, compared to similar cars with BIG horsepower but big N/A V8's and which ones had the best gas mileage?

I can add an Edelbrock E-Force to my 427 cu in engine and get 657HP with a low 5 psi boost while maintaining my 11:1 CR, but when running in economy mode on the highway(not in boost), my high compression ratio keeps my BIG V8 running efficiently, and I will still maintain my 30+ MPG highway gas mileage.

Take a tiny 4 or 6 cylinder and to get 657 HP you will have to lower the CR to around 8.5-9.1 in order to run 15-16 psi of boost. That low compression ratio hurts gas mileage(look at the Ford GT, for example). 11 MPG city/18 MPG highway with 647 HP vs my 15 MPG city/30 MPG highway with 657 HP(if I had an E-Force).

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-14-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:02 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
the European manufacturers are already headed that way, and the japanese and koreanS ditto. not sure how long before the 6's and 4's disappear as all manufacturers turn to ONLY electric AND THE ULTIMATE DOWNER-SELF-DRIVING ELECTRIC CARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we better hang on to our V8 corvettes, because they should be desirable for a long long time. i'm sure many have checked out what a '70's
mopar/hemi is fetching along with all those other glorious engines of that muscle car era.

SAD(as the prez is oft to say)
I think there is hope in this department.
Thing is Europeans and Japanese WANT to sell to the USA but that is not necessarily the other way around (See Chevrolet pulling out of EU).

Trucks and big engine-d US cars sales have done pretty well so far even after 30 years plus of EU and Japanese cars pursuing the "one liter" market for then "kind of" going higher from there.

I say the jury is still out on this..
Old 09-13-2017, 03:02 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Thing is Europeans and Japanese WANT to sell to the USA but that is not necessarily the other way around (See Chevrolet pulling out of EU).

Trucks and big engine-d US cars sales have done pretty well so far even after 30 years plus of EU and Japanese cars pursuing the "one liter" market for then "kind of" going higher from there.

You are correct, historically.

Now, China is the largest car market and only getting bigger, has the largest number of electric car sales now, and is the largest source of rare earth metals used in rechargeable batts. Bottom line: China knows it cannot beat the West and the Japanese and Koreans at the gas/diesel fuel vehicle game; but, it can leap frog to become the worlds largest producer and market (already is) for E-cars AND will sell the rare earths for everyone's batts.

In short, they want to be the big dog in the next generation of autos, and they are well on their way to doing so. This adoption of the all-E policy in 14 nations shown in my CNN link above plays right into this strategy. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if some deals were cut between Europe and China to adopt this policy in return for some Chinese direct investment and trade benefits.

Since the US is not the largest market any more, I suspect our ability to forestall this march has slipped quite a bit.

E-Corvette, here we come....

Last edited by quick04Z06; 09-13-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
You are correct, historically.

Now, China is the largest car market and only getting bigger, has the largest number of electric car sales now, and is the largest source of rare earth metals used in rechargeable batts. Bottom line: China knows it cannot beat the West and the Japanese and Koreans at the gas/diesel fuel vehicle game; but, it can leap frog to become the worlds largest producer and market (already is) for E-cars AND will sell the rare earths for everyone's batts.

In short, they want to be the big dog in the next generation of autos, and they are well on their way to doing so. This adoption of the all-E policy in 14 nations shown in my CNN link above plays right into this strategy. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if some deals were cut between Europe and China to adopt this policy in return for some Chinese direct investment and trade benefits.

Since the US is not the largest market any more, I suspect our ability to forestall this march has slipped quite a bit.

E-Corvette, here we come....
Well put! and a painful reminder (for me) it is becoming a global play and we are a part of it not THE part of it :-)
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:24 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 235265283...

Mary: ..... Your Corvette fans and buyers will be so distracted, it’ll be easy for you to slide the V6 past them.
Really Mary? Distraction with a V6 engine, ohh the humanity
Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Telepierre

Believe me when I say that GM WANTED to sell Chevrolets in Europe. The problem for GM was that the Europeans didn't want a Chevrolet. The majority of Chevrolets that were sold in Europe were built in South Korea.

The Corvette is still sold in Europe, but the sales numbers are not that good.

2015-----646
2016-----962
2017-----582

Compare those numbers with the sales of sports cars in the US, from Japan and Europe.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-14-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:23 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

^^^^^

The Corvette has had a tough time historically in Europe, which is certainly not helped by this:

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/06/gm-...g-for-new.html

I don't know if this is tariffs doing this or what, but the C7 is certainly not the "value" in Europe that it is in the U.S.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:57 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^^^

The Corvette has had a tough time historically in Europe, which is certainly not helped by this:

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/06/gm-...g-for-new.html

I don't know if this is tariffs doing this or what, but the C7 is certainly not the "value" in Europe that it is in the U.S.
Out of curiosity, how does the Corvette Stingray's price in Europe compare to home built sports cars, say a Cayman? Also how does the price of, say, a Cayman compare in Germany vs that same car in the US?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:25 PM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I want to again point out that the 6.2l supercharged v8 lt4 gets better mpg than the 3.5l twin turbo v6 Ford gt gets. At the same time it makes a lot more torque, has a better power curve, less stressed (lasts longer and easier to modify), sounds better, and costs less to make.

If gm wants to make a hybrid corvette that's fine (I still don't want them to) as long as they make it a parallel hybrid where you can still upgrade the ICE as you always have, they keep the weight down, and they KEEP THE V8.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:34 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
Really Mary? Distraction with a V6 engine, ohh the humanity
Just wait until the Corvette is fully electric and has great performance. Its going to happen. Count on it.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:54 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Out of curiosity, how does the Corvette Stingray's price in Europe compare to home built sports cars, say a Cayman? Also how does the price of, say, a Cayman compare in Germany vs that same car in the US?
2017 Cayman S IN Germany is 65,189 Euros ($77,632). In the U.S. the car's MSRP is $67,700

2017 Boxster S IN Germany is 67,212 Euros ($80,041). In the U.S, the car's MSRP is $69,800

2017 911 Carrera S IN Germany is 112,075 Euros ($133,465). In the U.S., the car's MSRP is $105,100

2017 C7 Z51 IN Germany is 79,500 Euros ($94,675). In the U.S., the car's MSRP is $63,285 (The US MSRP reflects Z51 and Mag ride)

I don't know the level of standard equipment in a home market Porsche verses a U.S. spec Porsche. For the Stingray, ALL European Stingrays come standard with Z51 and Mag ride.

So, what we know is DON'T buy your Porsche or your Corvette in GERMANY!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2017, 06:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

2017 Cayman S IN Germany is 65,189 Euros ($77,632). In the U.S. the car's MSRP is $67,700

2017 Boxster S IN Germany is 67,212 Euros ($80,041). In the U.S, the car's MSRP is $69,800

2017 911 Carrera S IN Germany is 112,075 Euros ($133,465). In the U.S., the car's MSRP is $105,100

2017 C7 Z51 IN Germany is 79,500 Euros ($94,675). In the U.S., the car's MSRP is $63,285 (The US MSRP reflects Z51 and Mag ride)

I don't know the level of standard equipment in a home market Porsche verses a U.S. spec Porsche. For the Stingray, ALL European Stingrays come standard with Z51 and Mag ride.

So, what we know is DON'T buy your Porsche or your Corvette in GERMANY!!!!!!
Thanks. That was what I was wanting to know. The Corvette is cheaper in the US than in Europe and the Cayman is also cheaper in the US than in Europe.

So, no real surprise that the Corvette is priced higher in Europe than in the US, as the home grown car are also priced higher in Europe, than in the US.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:33 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

^^^^^
The disparity in pricing is kind of shocking to me, and really makes no sense. Boxster/Cayman are both about $10K MORE in Germany than the U.S., while the Corvette is a whopping $31,000 MORE in Germany than in the U.S. And then look at the Carrera S at almost $30,000 MORE in Germany than the U.S.

None of that makes ANY sense to me

The only thing I can think of is that the home market Porsches have a LOT more standard equipment while the U.S. cars are "de-contended" to hit a price point.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:51 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

^^^^^
The disparity in pricing is kind of shocking to me, and really makes no sense. Boxster/Cayman are both about $10K MORE in Germany than the U.S., while the Corvette is a whopping $31,000 MORE in Germany than in the U.S. And then look at the Carrera S at almost $30,000 MORE in Germany than the U.S.

The only thing I can think of is that the home market Porsches have a LOT more standard equipment while the U.S. cars are "de-contended" to hit a price point.
Porsches in Germany will have no duty; US made product imported to the EU will have a big duty. Also, many EU nations tax engine displacement, too, which we do not in the US. That big V8 will net a large duty as well.

GM might should build and sell a Corvette in the EU equipped with a high pressure turbo 4 and elec motors.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 09-15-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:53 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Can someone out there name me a twin turbo V6 engine that achives 500 or more hp and better gas mileage than the LS7, LS9, LT1, LT4?

Switching to a twin turbo V6 won't shave off much, if any, MPGs.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:36 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

^^^^^

Regulations and tariffs. The auto industry is very different over in Europe, than in America.

Quick Reply: C8 Birth