Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid engine do it yourselfers-What is different

Old 09-19-2017, 12:06 AM
formulaWA
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Mid engine do it yourselfers-What is different

Couple of things I have experienced with mid engine cars

Oil changes The oil filter in my mid engine cars is in the center of the car high up on the engine block.

Radiator flush. Two "radiator" caps. One on the radiator one one the block You have to fill both ends and make sure it is bled properly.

Jacking. The radiator hoses run up either door sill. Have to make sure that a I/garage knows exactly where to place the jack pads.

If you spill oil it can fall on the hot catalytic convertor because it is parallel and beside the engine.

Various belt driven accessories and other maintenance items can be harder to change/service as you have to reach over the trunk to get service them.

Thoughts ?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:25 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Don't worry about it....designed for service a mid engine vehicle can be only slightly more of a pain in the ***...I'm sure GM will resolve most service concerns ahead of time.

It's not a Mickey Mouse operation like the European exotic manufacturers used to be.

Should be a little more expensive to service but not much...

Same for actual msrp...an five grand tops
Old 09-21-2017, 03:27 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

I suspect there will not be much you can do yourself on the rear mid-engine gas, front elec motor, AWD new Corvette. I suspect in the very near future, all maint and repair will have to be done at the dealer or the warranty is void. Cars will be too complicated and require too much specialized equipment for smaller garages or owners to do any work, and the warranty limitations will be spelled out in bold face.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:34 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

My mid-engined car:

Oil changes The oil filter in my mid engine cars is in the center of the car high up on the engine block. Check, you can reach it by opening the bonnet and twisting it with your hand. Nothing in the way.

Radiator flush. One fill opening, one empty opening at the bottom.

Jacking. The radiator hoses run up either door sill. My radiators are behind the driver and no hoses in the sills.

If you spill oil it can fall on the hot catalytic convertor because it is parallel and beside the engine. The oil is added to the dry sump at the front corner of the engine bay.

Various belt driven accessories and other maintenance items are impossible to reach.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:51 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,313 Likes on 990 Posts

All platforms have their ups and downs. Mid engine transmissions and clutch changes can be a simpler process. Having built tube chassis mid cars, also built several Ferrari's and worked on a lot of Corvettes...I can't say the pains are much different. NSX's can be interesting because they are transverse mounted MID, but longitudinal mid isn't bad.

I suspect for the front accessories, belts, etc that GM will HOPEFULLY make a removable/access panel firewall. Keep in mind, GM needs to pay warranty labor hours to dealerships, so ease of repair and maintenance is a focus to reduce labor difficulty and maintenance.

Inevitably, all cars are evolving into more electronic, compact platforms. Everything is increasing in difficulty, in terms of complication.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
All platforms have their ups and downs. Mid engine transmissions and clutch changes can be a simpler process. Having built tube chassis mid cars, also built several Ferrari's and worked on a lot of Corvettes...I can't say the pains are much different. NSX's can be interesting because they are transverse mounted MID, but longitudinal mid isn't bad.

I suspect for the front accessories, belts, etc that GM will HOPEFULLY make a removable/access panel firewall. Keep in mind, GM needs to pay warranty labor hours to dealerships, so ease of repair and maintenance is a focus to reduce labor difficulty and maintenance.

Inevitably, all cars are evolving into more electronic, compact platforms. Everything is increasing in difficulty, in terms of complication.
The new NSX does not have a transverse mounted engine.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:29 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,313 Likes on 990 Posts

Yeah, wasn't talkin about the new one there bro. Clearly I haven't worked on one of those. You're just the google fact checker all the time on here I see...lol.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 09-24-2017 at 11:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
Lavender (10-18-2017), StancyPants (09-26-2017), sunsalem (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:58 AM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Perhaps I'm bringing up something that's been sorted out elsewhere, but, how do we know they aren't planning on resurrecting something like the LS4?

I don't mean actually bring back the LS4, but make a transverse mount variant of the new LT series.

That certainly could have an effect on potential maintenance difficulties.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:56 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Yeah, wasn't talkin about the new one there bro. Clearly I haven't worked on one of those. You're just the google fact checker all the time on here I see...lol.
I haven't worked on a new NSX either, but I know how they are designed. Actually, a ton of new cars I haven't worked on, but I do try and keep up with their designs. You should have made your post clearer by stating that you were talking about a car that was built a decade ago, since it has been out of production a long time and has been replaced by a newer model.

BTW, why are you in the C8 section, since you haven't worked on one of those either.

Too bad that facts interrupt your little circle jerk.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:06 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by formulaWA
Couple of things I have experienced with mid engine cars

Oil changes The oil filter in my mid engine cars is in the center of the car high up on the engine block.

Radiator flush. Two "radiator" caps. One on the radiator one one the block You have to fill both ends and make sure it is bled properly.

Jacking. The radiator hoses run up either door sill. Have to make sure that a I/garage knows exactly where to place the jack pads.

If you spill oil it can fall on the hot catalytic convertor because it is parallel and beside the engine.

Various belt driven accessories and other maintenance items can be harder to change/service as you have to reach over the trunk to get service them.

Thoughts ?
My experience/thoughts:

Catalytic converters are close to the engine on many cars, that is a non-issue. I would worry more about a turbo than a mid engine for oil fires. A small spill will burn off without a fire, an oil leak is what you have to worry about.

Drive belts, don't see an issue. My Tahoe is at 166,000 miles still on original accessory belt so they can last plenty long. My Gallardo has one drive belt for the alternator only and wouldn't be impossible to change, all the other accessories are driven by shafts off the engine.

Oil filter can be relocated anywhere, I doubt Chevy will put it in the V. My Gallardo is in a crappy spot (in the V) but it isn't like I have to change it that often anyway and it only takes me a couple of minutes at most.

My car only has 1 place to fill engine coolant even with 2 radiators.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:35 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I haven't worked on a new NSX either, but I know how they are designed. Actually, a ton of new cars I haven't worked on, but I do try and keep up with their designs. You should have made your post clearer by stating that you were talking about a car that was built a decade ago, since it has been out of production a long time and has been replaced by a newer model.

BTW, why are you in the C8 section, since you haven't worked on one of those either.

Too bad that facts interrupt your little circle jerk.
Haven't they put you out to pasture yet?
The following 3 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
JerriVette (10-04-2017), Lavender (10-18-2017), StancyPants (09-26-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 04:56 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I did have an '09 Cayman S. Almost all of the work on the Cayman was done from the bottom of the car while on a lift. You removed a belly pan to get at things. Obviously, a big clamshell rear hood (like a GT40 of yore) could change all that, but that is how Porsche did it. To say it was a pain to work on was an understatement. Good car, but I sold it before the warranty expired as I did not want to pay the freight for repairs and maintenance on that car....

Last edited by quick04Z06; 10-03-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,426 Likes on 774 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
I did have an '09 Cayman S. Almost all of the work on the Cayman was done from the bottom of the car while on a lift. You removed a belly pan to get at things. Obviously, a big clamshell rear hood (like a GT40 of yore) could change all that, but that is how Porsche did it. To say it was a pain to work on was an understatement. Good car, but I sold it before the warranty expired as I did not want to pay the freight for repairs and maintenance on that car....
My F430 was similar. Most of the maintenance done from underneath. The belly pan and diffuser required removal to access anything. After that just about everything was accessible. The hurt with the Ferrari is the cost of parts. I kept it 2 years and traded it for a new Jaguar F Type R.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:41 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
My F430 was similar. Most of the maintenance done from underneath. The belly pan and diffuser required removal to access anything. After that just about everything was accessible. The hurt with the Ferrari is the cost of parts. I kept it 2 years and traded it for a new Jaguar F Type R.
My plain old Mercedes four door sedan with it's front engine/transmission and rear wheel drive requires me to remove a belly pan to drain the oil. Four screws holds it in place and adds less than 5 minutes to the time required to change the oil. It's oil filter is accessed under the hood and is cleaner to change.

It doesn't take me any longer to change the oil in my Mercedes than in my dry sump Z06 that doesn't have a belly pan, but I do have a 4-post lift(two of them) as I'm too old to be crawling under cars to change the oil.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:06 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

My plain old Mercedes four door sedan with it's front engine/transmission and rear wheel drive requires me to remove a belly pan to drain the oil. Four screws holds it in place and adds less than 5 minutes to the time required to change the oil. It's oil filter is accessed under the hood and is cleaner to change.

It doesn't take me any longer to change the oil in my Mercedes than in my dry sump Z06 that doesn't have a belly pan, but I do have a 4-post lift(two of them) as I'm too old to be crawling under cars to change the oil.

On the Cayman S, you could not see the engine from the top. There was a tiny hatch to let you add oil, but oil level was checked electronically (no dipstick) and if you were at the track, the first time you knew of a belt fraying or fluid leak was when it was too late. Frankly, I like to be able see what is going on under the hood by inspection at the track instead of having all access from underneath. GM could certainly go a different route with the mid-engine Vette and I hope they do, perhaps using a big clamshell hood to give quick, wide-open access to the engine bay.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
On the Cayman S, you could not see the engine from the top. There was a tiny hatch to let you add oil, but oil level was checked electronically (no dipstick) and if you were at the track, the first time you knew of a belt fraying or fluid leak was when it was too late. Frankly, I like to be able see what is going on under the hood by inspection at the track instead of having all access from underneath. GM could certainly go a different route with the mid-engine Vette and I hope they do, perhaps using a big clamshell hood to give quick, wide-open access to the engine bay.
One thing the auto insurance companies didn't like about the C4 was it's large clamshell hood and it's cost to replace in a minor fender bender. The C5 saved the Corvette owners a bunch of insurance premium dollars when GM got rid of the huge clamshell hood.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:42 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

One thing the auto insurance companies didn't like about the C4 was it's large clamshell hood and it's cost to replace in a minor fender bender. The C5 saved the Corvette owners a bunch of insurance premium dollars when GM got rid of the huge clamshell hood.
I am sure you are right--easier to replace a bumper cap than some huge, clamshell rear part. But, access with the hinged rear shell is great.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Haven't they put you out to pasture yet?
Has your mother changed your diaper today? Probably getting mighty full.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid engine do it yourselfers-What is different

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mid engine do it yourselfers-What is different