Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unexpected mid engine handling for 1st time ME owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 10:29 PM
formulaWA
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Unexpected mid engine handling for 1st time ME owners

When GM released it's 1st mid engine car they sold 137,000 of them during the 1st year to people who for the most part had never driven a mid engine car. While the car had it's well publicized issues as GM used customers as beta testers one issue that did not seem to attract a lot of headlines at the time was the unexpected handling. The car had a 40% frnt/60% rear weight bias so when owners drove the car close to the limit as a sports car and they felt they were in over their head with no previous experience driving a mid engine car they would suddenly lift off the throttle. This would cause the car to rotate around the mid engine/transmission and the back end of the car would pass the front. In later years GM redesigned the suspension and put bigger wheels and tires on the back to compensate for this. Some of the more astute dealers would tell the customers to find a big parking lot and practice tight corners while lifting the throttle so the customer would know how to react. While I am sure today's stability control will make this issue easier to manage I am thinking that folks with no mid engine experience who drive their new mid engine Corvettes hard for the 1st time may, like the mid engine owners of 30 years ago find themselves in situations where they do not have the skills to manage a mid engine car close to the limit and will end up spinning their shiny new mid engine corvette in the middle of a public road. I wonder if GM and it's dealers will include mid engine driving tips/course with the new mid engine Corvette?

Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

You could practice w/a C4. The rear end will come out on those in a snap rotation if u don't know what you are doing.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-07-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:37 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The fiery never had anything other than understeer. Today's active handling keeps rear mid engine cars like the mcLaren 570, 650 and new 720 under complete control.

Let's add in Ferrari, Lamborghini, alfa, Porsche, and lotus all manage to have competent rear mid engine sports car.

I can't imagine what makes you think the handling pros at GM would not do even better.

GM literally offers the best handling most capable sports cars in the marketplace ..I have complete confidence that the next gen corvette rear mid engine corvette will be the best handling highest performance sports car in the marketplace.
The following users liked this post:
Gering (10-15-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 12:55 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

There is/was an old saying about Porsche: once you dial the steering in, your foot cannot come up off the gas pedal--but this was before the Weissach suspension geometry.

But modern electronics will fundamentally alter that situation.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:46 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by formulaWA
When GM released it's 1st mid engine car they sold 137,000 of them during the 1st year to people who for the most part had never driven a mid engine car. While the car had it's well publicized issues as GM used customers as beta testers one issue that did not seem to attract a lot of headlines at the time was the unexpected handling. The car had a 40% frnt/60% rear weight bias so when owners drove the car close to the limit as a sports car and they felt they were in over their head with no previous experience driving a mid engine car they would suddenly lift off the throttle. This would cause the car to rotate around the mid engine/transmission and the back end of the car would pass the front. In later years GM redesigned the suspension and put bigger wheels and tires on the back to compensate for this. Some of the more astute dealers would tell the customers to find a big parking lot and practice tight corners while lifting the throttle so the customer would know how to react. While I am sure today's stability control will make this issue easier to manage I am thinking that folks with no mid engine experience who drive their new mid engine Corvettes hard for the 1st time may, like the mid engine owners of 30 years ago find themselves in situations where they do not have the skills to manage a mid engine car close to the limit and will end up spinning their shiny new mid engine corvette in the middle of a public road. I wonder if GM and it's dealers will include mid engine driving tips/course with the new mid engine Corvette?

Thoughts?
You can't compare ancient cars to today's vehicles.
Things have advanced so much, there is no rational point of comparison.
And, yes, I have driven modern MEs...only a very shitty FE driver would find them difficult to handle.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:06 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

You are mistaken!
The C2 (midyear) Corvettes ALL had a rear center of gravity (48/52).
ALL MODERN mid-engined cars handle very neutrally: Ferrari 458/488, Porsche 911RSR, Cayman, Boxter, McLaren, Lotus, etc
Old 10-09-2017, 10:45 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Rear weight bias has its merits...

Can't wait for the rear mid engine corvette
Old 10-10-2017, 01:28 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
You are mistaken!
The C2 (midyear) Corvettes ALL had a rear center of gravity (48/52).
ALL MODERN mid-engined cars handle very neutrally: Ferrari 458/488, Porsche 911RSR, Cayman, Boxter, McLaren, Lotus, etc
Huh?
63Corvette (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 03:43 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Huh?
Old 10-10-2017, 03:50 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by formulaWA

Thoughts?
What mid-engine did GM make other than the Fireyo?
Old 10-10-2017, 04:09 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
What mid-engine did GM make other than the Fireyo?
Corvair
Old 10-10-2017, 04:25 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Oh, OK...I misunderstood.

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
Corvair
Yup!
Old 10-10-2017, 05:14 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
Corvair
I thought the Corvair had a rear-mounted engine
Old 10-10-2017, 05:16 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by zhopper05
I thought the Corvair had a rear-mounted engine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair
Old 10-10-2017, 10:31 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

If you are in a corner at the limit and you lift off the gas in any car the back end will come out (unless it has massive underteer). It is no different than the geniuses that let off the gas going over icy bridges. Suspension can be tuned for any weight distribution.

Mid engine is the best place for the engine, can use smaller front tires and eliminate the car wandering on the highway grooves. GM could easily have a front and rear trunk.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:03 PM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Confusion

Too many commenting on a subject they know very little about.
Interesting to read the confusion between mid-engine and rear-engine.
Which cars are "rear mid-engine" ?

Easiest ways to describe engine location configurations:
- front engine(along with modern rear front positioning) - modern
Corvettes
- rear engine(behind rear axle) - early generation Porsches (refer to
crashed Turbos)
- mid-engine (engine in front of rear axle) - Ferrari 488, Lamborghini, and
many more

The Corvair's difficulties had a lot to do to do with suspension design.

Last edited by tobaccokid; 10-11-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by tobaccokid

Corvettes
crashed Turbos)
many more

A lot of the handling issues the Corvair had were caused by improperly serviced tire pressures. (15 PSI front and 28 PSI rear)

Get notified of new replies

To Unexpected mid engine handling for 1st time ME owners

Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

I believe that any engine location between the front and rear axles can be described as "MID engined". For instance, the Infiniti G series chassis is described by Infiniti as "Front Mid-engine". The C2 Corvette has a REAR weight bias (see above road test), because the entire engine is located behind the centerline of the front axle, but still in front of the driver. Most of us think of Mid-engined as the engine being behind the driver, but that makes little difference in weight distribution, as both can be located to provide any distribution required. NOTE: The new Porsche 911 RSR (RACE car) is MID engined, and therefore has NO rear seats. I will also mention the notorious Bill Thomas Cheetah race car where the driver sits almost ON the rear axle, and the rear weight bias plus the short wheelbase makes the car a real challenge to drive. Rear weight bias allows the rear brakes to make more contribution to the stopping effort. Current engineering practices seem to trend that sports/racing cars are getting longer wheelbases (C5 is longer than C2, and C7 is longer than C5 etc), which contribute to more stability under braking. Oh............and Mid-engined cars seem to conform MORE to what our current idea of "cool" is.
Rapid Fred (10-20-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 03:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by tobaccokid

Corvettes
crashed Turbos)
many more

Originally Posted by Larry/car
A lot of the handling issues the Corvair had were caused by improperly serviced tire pressures. (15 PSI front and 28 PSI rear)
Mostly it was the design of the rear suspension which they corrected in the 65 model year.

Bill
Old 10-13-2017, 03:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory
If you are in a corner at the limit and you lift off the gas in any car the back end will come out (unless it has massive underteer). It is no different than the geniuses that let off the gas going over icy bridges. Suspension can be tuned for any weight distribution.

Mid engine is the best place for the engine, can use smaller front tires and eliminate the car wandering on the highway grooves. GM could easily have a front and rear trunk.
I have instructed novices in two different mid engine cars since June. One was an Audi R8 V10 running the North Course at VIR in June and the other was a Ferrari 458 running VIR's Full Course yesterday. The Audi driver had the typical novice problems but I was really surprised how well the car reacted when he made some sudden steering correction that should have been avoided. The Ferrari owner also brought along his daughter who had never driven the car and had never been near a track before. Both drivers put the car in some positions that a Corvette would not have recovered from no matter how well the stability control worked. The most impressive incident occurred in the UpHill Esses. Instead of late apexing Turn 7 the owner went to the right side of the turn and entered them on the wrong line and came over the hump at T8 looking at grass instead of pavement. On that line I would have just gone straight over the grass and back onto the pavement at Turn 9 but he snapped the steering to the right and the car went right with the left rear wheel hitting the rumble strips on the left then he turned the steering to the left and got around the apex of Turn 9. No idea how we got through that. I wouldn't have wanted to try that with a Corvette.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
63Corvette (10-16-2017), JerriVette (10-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Unexpected mid engine handling for 1st time ME owners