Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Corvette News

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 06:42 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
Basic math says if you always own a car in warranty you will spend so much more out of your pocket than holding onto one for a little while longer. Too Expensive to keep buying cars just for a new warranty - that is dumb!!!
I don't think it's a matter of money. Many folks that drive a Corvette have multiple cars.

Many of us want the latest and best offering that are available.

Sunselmen stated he did not want the worries of driving a car that may breakdown or is out of warranty.

That is totally different than trying to squeeze every last dollar out of your vehicle, than someone who just prefers to drive a new vehicle.

I fall into the later category. I may hang onto a weekend toy and just ad another new weekend toy to my garage.

But my daily drivers I swap out every 36 months at most.

Also when it's not a keeper and I know that going in I lease. Saving cost on down payments and monthly payments.

Also leasing can cut the 7k sales tax on a 100k car down to $1k or less over 3 years. Hugh saving in sales tax alone.

So it maybe cheaper to continually drive a new car vs hanging on to an older model if that older model is anything more than a weekend toy.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 10-21-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:12 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
I don't think it's a matter of money. Many folks that drive a Corvette have multiple cars.

Many of us want the latest and best offering that are available.

Sunselmen stated he did not want the worries of driving a car that may breakdown or is out of warranty.

That is totally different than trying to squeeze every last dollar out of your vehicle, than someone who just prefers to drive a new vehicle.

I fall into the later category. I may hang onto a weekend toy and just ad another new weekend toy to my garage.

But my daily drivers I swap out every 36 months at most.

Also when it's not a keeper and I know that going in I lease. Saving cost on down payments and monthly payments.

Also leasing can cut the 7k sales tax on a 100k car down to $1k or less over 3 years. Hugh saving in sales tax alone.

So it maybe cheaper to continually drive a new car vs hanging on to an older model if that older model is anything more than a weekend toy.
ok - Sounds like you feel you have a good way to deal with owning/leasing a car.
Personally not a lease fan, never would but I also keep my cars for a while and out of warranty. I have a 1980 280 SL Mercedes that I have owned for 32 of ts 37 years - still mostly original everywhere except an alternator and water pump. I'll probably drive it till I can no longer drive. I also have a 2005 BMW X5 with 105K miles on it and the only thing ever to go wrong with it since I bought it as a CPO in 2006 has been a leak in the tranny pan - so either of these two guys are not a problem out of warranty or a breakdown, hell, a few friends that have new cars have had theirs in the shop more in 2 years for crappy problems than both of mine in 12 years. Only once has my Mercedes or BMW not been home the same day for of any service or repair. The two C6 Grandsports I have I know are also very reliable, just like my C4 and C5 which I owned for a long time out of warranty.. and no big issues or cost. So in my case I think I have saved one helluva lot of money not going new every 3 years. Depreciation alone is a cost killer let alone the 10% sales tax, - and for lease , no thanks I like to own what I drive , it is just personal preference.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:33 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

ok - Sounds like you feel you have a good way to deal with owning/leasing a car.
Personally not a lease fan, never would but I also keep my cars for a while and out of warranty. I have a 1980 280 SL Mercedes that I have owned for 32 of ts 37 years - still mostly original everywhere except an alternator and water pump. I'll probably drive it till I can no longer drive. I also have a 2005 BMW X5 with 105K miles on it and the only thing ever to go wrong with it since I bought it as a CPO in 2006 has been a leak in the tranny pan - so either of these two guys are not a problem out of warranty or a breakdown, hell, a few friends that have new cars have had theirs in the shop more in 2 years for crappy problems than both of mine in 12 years. Only once has my Mercedes or BMW not been home the same day for of any service or repair. The two C6 Grandsports I have I know are also very reliable, just like my C4 and C5 which I owned for a long time out of warranty.. and no big issues or cost. So in my case I think I have saved one helluva lot of money not going new every 3 years. Depreciation alone is a cost killer let alone the 10% sales tax, - and for lease , no thanks I like to own what I drive , it is just personal preference.
I agree to each there own. As far as leasing as a owner of multiple businesses it is very advantages to lease vs own when it comes to the ability to do a tax deduction.

If you own you really need to put a lot of miles on annually to receive a comparable tax deduction vs a lease.

In fact leasing is a attractive option for business owner vs taking long term depreciation schedule as permitted by IRS rules.

Corvette is one of very few car that are purchased out right with no lease or folk making payments.

I attribute that to the fact that not many are daily drivers but just a toy for their owners.

I have leased both MB and BMW but never had a lease that was longer than 36 months.

I can honestly say the owning multiple of both brands as new vehicles I have never had any issues that required warranty repairs.

I also have heard many with nightmare stories of maintenance cost after the warranty expired .

I can say I owned a Lamborghini that was a maintenance nightmare both in and out of warranty.

Was an absolute blast to drive and an absolute nightmare to maintain. The cost of maintenance was so much more than any car I had ever owned I just got fed up and sold it.

That's why I would love to see Chevrolet designed and produced Mid rear super car that can be service at any local Chevrolet dealer and at reasonable rates for normal maintenance such as oil changes , wiper blades , tires and the similar type normal maintenance.

With an Italian exotic $450.00 oil change and a 6k clutch at 10k miles just ruins the ownership experience.

I take a good old fashioned American made Corvette were my oil change and wiper blades are not a arm and leg.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:52 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Extended warranties like gmepp is a killer deal....I think my last gmpp warranty with a $100 deductible was good for a total of 7 years and 78k miles...am due it cost me 400dollars a year for four years...it was around $1600 that I paid in the 30th month of ownership of my present corvette.

It was a nice feature....

I, sure European vehicles offer similiarly priced extended warranties....NOT...lol

Mclaren s resale plummeted until they offered a $4000 dollar a year extended warranty for pre owned mclaren s...because the cost to repair was insane...

Same for other exotics...

Other European cars are also mucho dinero because the repair costs are astronomical for the most part...

Leasing European cars makes sense ..as does buying CPO European cars because the extended warranty on CPO s covers their new owners...

A,erican cars like corvettes just deliver the goods....and the ownership experience for the most part is just oil changes and new tires for the first 100k miles...

Even above 100k miles corvette ownership is chump change compared to what happens when European cars are out of warranty..

The bleeding that so often occurs when European cars need repairs can make your eyes water..

Sure there are always exceptions...but when that BMW M car breaks...or that AMG Mercedes...get ready to bend over..

The situation is worse for Aston Martin..,that service department has no leadership from the factory but to guess and replace parts...

The factory at Aston Martin doesn't do the validation process of each GM vehicle for 300k miles so GM is capable of guiding their world class GM techs who are certified by GM to properly diagnosis and quickly correct each problem to the satisfaction of its owner...

It's a whole new world of dealer profiteering when it comes to service departments...

Are some GM dealership service departments horrible? Yes without a doubt...but GM surveys their customers and if the dealership in question gets dinged too many times there is hell to pay..

Aston ,artic or bmw dealership service department rip offs are met with a resounding..your on your own...

That's why I like corvettes...my GM world class tech is excellent. He is honest and he charges me a fair fee for his efforts a step well as parts.

That's one of the many reasons I'm on my third new corvette...and my next new car will be a corvette too...

I love these guys...honest as the day is long..

He does the Carlisle seminar, he does the bowling green and mid amErica seminars ..he is Paul koerner at Jackson Chevy in Middletown Ct...

I travel three states to have him service my cars..

Worth the trip and I have triple A gold to tow my car up their if I'm busy and I need service
Old 10-24-2017, 11:31 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
So now the goal is to build a $150K car to maybe sell 500 or so in Europe? And put it out of range of many of the Corvette buyers who have been purchasing about 30,000 cars per year in the US? I don't think GM gives a rats *** on how many they sell in Europe. The ME is the new Corvette of the future, not some high-priced "halo" car that they don't even need. The Corvette is a model, not a brand....it already IS the halo car. They certainly don't need to introduce a high-priced version that makes the aging standard car look like yesterday's news.

It was also said by "someone at sometime" that the C7 production run would be one of the shortest in Corvette history....four or five years. I think the ME is the C8 and it will cost maybe $5-10K more the the C7 base car. IMO, it will debut at the 2019 Detroit Auto Show and go into production soon after. C7 production may or may not continue alongside the C8, but that really makes no sense since all the interest would be in the new car. Who would invest in the FE at that point? Regardless of price, it would be the "old" one.

We've seen many shots of the ME car that look near production ready. If the "real" C8 is a FE car, where are the mules or the prototypes?

Obviously, it's fun to speculate......and until some real beans get spilled, that's all we'll have for a while.
Based on my contention the ME car will be a limited run vehicle both in USA and abroad.

Purely speculation on my part but how do we know a C8 FE MULE isn't hiding beneath the skin of the many so called ZR1 mules?

As you said, "Obviously, it's fun to speculate......and until some real beans get spilled, that's all we'll have for a while."
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 08:27 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Looks like the new C9 is on the way also...
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2017, 08:30 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The Toyota Supra next gen shown is based off BMW s upcoming z4 and Looks like a Nissan 370Z competitor

Last edited by JerriVette; 10-24-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:04 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The Toyota Supra next gen shown is based off BMW s upcoming z4 and Looks like a Nissan 370Z competitor
OK well it sure looks like a 2024 C9 -- are you sure?
Old 10-24-2017, 09:25 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Cleary the tail lights are the wrong shape and the exhaust pipes aren't in the right place.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Looks like a Nissan 370Z competitor
The 370Z actually needs a competitor?
Old 10-27-2017, 08:43 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman

They will keep the C7 in production for a couple years, largely to hedge their bet, but it is looking more and more to me like they want to move the entire Corvettte market wholesale over to a ME platform. THAT is a bold move, that can't be accomplished by a $150K car.
I would be in
Old 10-27-2017, 08:53 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

BTW, it is looking like the Nissan 370Z is being made soon extinct.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:53 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The modern 370Z has been an oddball car from the beginning...not Sporty enough to be considered a top Sportscar, but very stylish.
I have no idea what it was designed to compete against or what market it is supposed to tap.
IMO, it's a swing and a miss.

Quick Reply: 2019 Corvette News