Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Corvette brand split into three models

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 03:08 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Actually I believe Corvette is not a Chevrolet "model". I don't see the Chevy bow-tie anywhere on the car. I would consider it a sub-brand, stand-alone, but sold under the banner of Chevrolet.

You arent looking very hard. Look at the C7 flag....

The Corvette is a Chevy. It has been since the beginning. It is not a brand.

Last edited by JustinStrife; 10-24-2017 at 03:14 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JustinStrife:
RoketRdr (01-10-2018), VETTE-NV (10-24-2017), zhopper05 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 08:12 AM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife

You arent looking very hard. Look at the C7 flag....

The Corvette is a Chevy. It has been since the beginning. It is not a brand.
Every production Corvette emblem since 1953 have had the Chevy bow tie on them too.
The following users liked this post:
zhopper05 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 08:25 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Actually I believe Corvette is not a Chevrolet "model". I don't see the Chevy bow-tie anywhere on the car. I would consider it a sub-brand, stand-alone, but sold under the banner of Chevrolet.
You are just fooling yourself. They are Chevrolet's and that is all there is to it.
zhopper05 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:02 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I'd love to find out a GM executive stood up at a senior advisory meeting and states "We can't develop a highly profitable Corvette SUV because Corvette is a model not a brand".
Sure hope she or he has the resume in order.
EDIT: Note GM does NOT have a performance SUV, CUV. The XT5 is marketed purely as a luxury CUV, the Escalade is way too large. Chevy's offerings are strictly average, mainstream offerings, same for Buick.
They have the name, Corvette, and the ability to take the same marketing approach as with the Corvette C7, a solid performer with Corvette lineage selling for much less than the Lambo, Porsche, Jaguar. IMHO, the cash registers would sing. I'm pretty sure one of our SUVs would be on a Chevy used car lot if they launched a Corvette SUV.

Last edited by roadbike56; 10-24-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:31 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I'd love to find out a GM executive stood up at a senior advisory meeting and states "We can't develop a highly profitable Corvette SUV because Corvette is a model not a brand".
Sure hope she or he has the resume in order.
EDIT: Note GM does NOT have a performance SUV, CUV. The XT5 is marketed purely as a luxury CUV, the Escalade is way too large. Chevy's offerings are strictly average, mainstream offerings, same for Buick.
They have the name, Corvette, and the ability to take the same marketing approach as with the Corvette C7, a solid performer with Corvette lineage selling for much less than the Lambo, Porsche, Jaguar. IMHO, the cash registers would sing. I'm pretty sure one of our SUVs would be on a Chevy used car lot if they launched a Corvette SUV.
It would be like making a Tahoe or Suburban Sports car or station wagon. I don't think you understand the difference between Brand and Model at all.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:39 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
My question was more rhetorical. My car registration says Chevrolet Corvette, and if you go on a Chevrolet website the Corvette is listed under models of cars. I don’t think having the bowtie on the car actually changes its status.

Unfortunately, the Corvette is still serviced at Chevrolet dealerships as would be the Corvette SUV if it were ever produced. I think that would be the major drawback to a Corvette SUV. If people have a choice I think they would pick the SUV that does not force them to go to a dealership that has such a poor reputation for service and sales.
Corvette needs to be a brand. It is the most iconic "brand" GM has and can be leveraged up to and including a hot SUV. I think they should begin with a small Caddy chassis, like the ATS, raise the height a bit, put in an LT-4, upgrade brakes and suspension but use all season perf tires (summer only optional), add a nice composite body, and sell a small Corvette crossover.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 10-24-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:45 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Corvette needs to be a brand. It is the most iconic "brand" GM has and can be leveraged up to and including a hot SUV. I think they should begin with a small Caddy chassis, like the ATS, raise the height a bit, put in an LT-4, upgrade brakes and suspension but use all season perf tires (summer only optional), add a nice composite body, and sell a small Corvette crossover.
So perhaps a Camaro SUV as well?

Say it however you wish, the Corvette is still only one model of the Chevrolet brand. It is not a brand or a separate division.....not until it becomes its own entity with it's own dealerships and service departments. GM has made an effort to eliminate various brands in the recent past...not add new ones.

That would be a huge, and risky, undertaking for a car that sells in very low numbers when compared to other Chevrolet models. Hyundai is trying to do it now by making Genesis it's own brand, but that is going to take them years to accomplish....and they already have several models in the works to be added in the very near future.

GM does not need to do this with the Corvette. As long as they keep it competitive and it remains profitable, it will continue as what it is: a halo performance vehicle that gives the company more in prestige than it does in actual profits. There may eventually (or soon!) be more than one type of Corvette, but don't hold your breath for a new GM division.

Having said all that, I would be happy to see it. I would also be happy to meet Elvis. Neither one is going to happen.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:54 PM
4THTOY
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Chevy almost had this with their Trailblazer SS. I owned one, it was a cross between a sports car and SUV. It never got the support it should have and died after a few years. Porsche's SUVs saved the brand, I see nothing wrong with Corvette having their own high performance SUV, if it was really a high performance vehicle and not just a badge slapped on another SUV, It would bring in new buyers which the brand needs. Whether we like it or not, very few young can afford a new vette. I bought my first, a C3 when I was 26, looking at the way wages and car prices have risen, if all were equal today, I wouldn't be able to afford one.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:19 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
So perhaps a Camaro SUV as well?

Say it however you wish, the Corvette is still only one model of the Chevrolet brand. It is not a brand or a separate division.....not until it becomes its own entity with it's own dealerships and service departments. GM has made an effort to eliminate various brands in the recent past...not add new ones.

That would be a huge, and risky, undertaking for a car that sells in very low numbers when compared to other Chevrolet models. Hyundai is trying to do it now by making Genesis it's own brand, but that is going to take them years to accomplish....and they already have several models in the works to be added in the very near future.

GM does not need to do this with the Corvette. As long as they keep it competitive and it remains profitable, it will continue as what it is: a halo performance vehicle that gives the company more in prestige than it does in actual profits. There may eventually (or soon!) be more than one type of Corvette, but don't hold your breath for a new GM division.

Having said all that, I would be happy to see it. I would also be happy to meet Elvis. Neither one is going to happen.
I hear your argument and historically it makes sense.

But, I say this: Racing fans all over the world know Corvette from Le Mans, the most watched sports car race in the world, where Corvette has been very successful since 2001. Chevy, not so much. Chevy is pretty much an American brand, as GM uses (or used to use) Vauxhall in England, Opel in Europe, Holden in Australia, and now Buick in China. Corvette can be what Porsche is by leveraging this visibility from Le Mans racing into a global brand known for high performance--no family econoboxes or minivans.

Team Corvette said with the C7 their target for performance was the 911. Why not target the entire Porsche brand, which is the world's most profitable car company, with a Corvette brand?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:57 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Those companies that live in the past tend to fail. Often time forward thinking is the precursor to future success.

Growth comes from evolving.

All that said. Lamborghinis new Urus four door all wheel drive sports car like cuv will be a very profitable market segment in the near future as Porsche has discovered.

Porsche faithful were originally against the idea of cuv s and yet the sales and profit from the cuv s saved the company.

Quite honestly the Chevy brand does not have the cache itself to pull this off. Neither does Cadillac which is more luxury oriented and GMC which is oriented more towards "professional grade" more utilitarian cuv s

My suggestion stands that Chevy is a greater value proposition.

You'll notice even Buick moving towards sub brands such as avenier in its lineup...and I believe GMC has a subbrand nomenclature which at the moment I've forgotten...

I'm not really a truck guy...still

I believe a four door sports cuv branded as a corvette would if it was produced in the same vein or market segment as a normally priced sports cuv that carried the same styling theme of a sports car awd four door cuv...dealers wouldn't be able to keep them in stock...

I'm just shooting the breeze...as it would take a very sharp marketing executive at GM to take a chance on something we are discussing...

Use an LT1 v8 or an LT4 or even a full electric ludicrious mode type platform for a corvette cuv and style it like the Urus and watch the money roll in..

Chevy doesn't need another sedan...the market is collapsing. The Impala and the LaCrosse are not long for this world.

The Chevy bow tie brand is offen not reveared as GM believes...but a corvette branded sports cuv like the Urus would tear up the showroom floor. Not only with showroom traffic but sales..

How many people do you guys meet that say they would love to own a corvette but can't rationalize a two seat sports car ...?

Expanding the halo effect to a urus like cuv branded corvette would not cannibalizes other brands cuv sales nor would it canabalize corvette two seater sales...

In fact they would as Porsche has found with the Macan promote sales of both models...

It's a win win and would even create a halo for other Chevy products as they are all sold in the same showroom...

Like I said just shooting the breeze...
Old 10-25-2017, 10:14 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Those companies that live in the past tend to fail. Often time forward thinking is the precursor to future success.

Growth comes from evolving.

All that said. Lamborghinis new Urus four door all wheel drive sports car like cuv will be a very profitable market segment in the near future as Porsche hasdiscovered.

Porsche faithful were originally against the idea of cuv s and yet the sales and profit from the cuv s saved the company.

Quite honestly the Chevy brand does not have the cache itself to pull this off. Neither does Cadillac which is more luxury oriented and GMC which is oriented more towards "professional grade" more utilitarian cuv s

My suggestion stands that Chevy is a greater value proposition.

You'll notice even Buick moving towards sub brands such as avenier in its lineup...and I believe GMC has a subbrand nomenclature which at the moment I've forgotten...

I'm not really a truck guy...still

I believe a four door sports cuv branded as a corvette would if it was produced in the same vein or market segment as a normally priced sports cuv that carried the same styling theme of a sports car awd four door cuv...dealers wouldn't be able to keep them in stock...

I'm just shooting the breeze...as it would take a very sharp marketing executive at GM to take a chance on something we are discussing...

Use an LT1 v8 or an LT4 or even a full electric ludicrious mode type platform for a corvette cuv and style it like the Urus and watch the money roll in..

Chevy doesn't need another sedan...the market is collapsing. The Impala and the LaCrosse are not long for this world.

The Chevy bow tie brand is offen not reveared as GM believes...but a corvette branded sports cuv like the Urus would tear up the showroom floor. Not only with showroom traffic but sales..

How many people do you guys meet that say they would love to own a corvette but can't rationalize a two seat sports car ...?

Expanding the halo effect to a urus like cuv branded corvette would not cannibalizes other brands cuv sales nor would it canabalize corvette two seater sales...

In fact they would as Porsche has found with the Macan promote sales of both models...

It's a win win and would even create a halo for other Chevy products as they are all sold in the same showroom...

Like I said just shooting the breeze...
There’s a big difference from what Porsche did with the cayenne to what lamb is doing with the urus. Cayenne is a full range of models available to a wide range of people. Urus is going to be a 200k cuv. I do agree I would love to see a LT1/LT4 car but I don’t think it needs to be Corvette brand. They need to start a 2-3 Letter specialty performance group. That they can use as a model for any and all vehicles that clearly signifies a higher standard of performance. The way M, amg, RS, srt work.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:26 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Creating brand cost millions...evolving the corvette brand to include a urus shaped four door cuv would be a stroke of genius...

I don't care if it's LT1 /LT4 powered or full ev battery powered like tesla.

Traditionally corvette is a technology leader and creating a tesla like ev full electric could be a game changer.

The corvette branded sports utility urus shaped vehicle would halo much of GM s future full electric.

God knows the bolt is a loser when it comes to public perception.

It's a door stop on wheels as a tall hatchback and in fact has CEO Mary Barbra questioning in public americas desire for full electrics..(based off demand of the bolt)

The problem has been not lack of americans demand but rather GM s interpretation of what that product should be.

Tesla s interpretation of ev products has been far closer to what the public is desiring.

If ever there was a time to leverage the corvette brand as a halo vehicle for future product development it is now.

I know or rather doubt any GM executive ever reads these forums but rather I'm just shooting the breeze.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:29 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

https://www.google.com/search?q=lamb...Y6OUYlnO658FM:
Old 10-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Problem is GM doesn't have a SUV chassis to build a performance SUV. Escalade chassis is based on a pickup truck. All the rest are front wheel drive, with a transverse engine sitting in front of the front wheels.

Last edited by Michael A; 10-26-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:15 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

You have a point...
Old 10-27-2017, 06:01 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I'd buy one in a heart beat.

We just got out of a SQ5 and after her Giulia the wife wants another SUV and the Stelvio Quadrafolio is at the top of her list.
JerriVette (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 12:16 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I can see a "Corvette" SUV.
Drop the LT4 in a sporty looking, dumbed-down Escalade and it should be good to go.
Afterall, Jeep has put Hellcats in Grand Cherokees.
With unknown mods were doing 9 's at the track!

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Corvette brand split into three models

Old 10-28-2017, 03:23 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

They could call the new brand SATURN. HAHAHAHA
Old 10-28-2017, 04:06 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Escalade is not exactly what I envisioned...more like a jaguar I pace would do the trick...
Old 10-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Ralphroadster
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Escalade is not exactly what I envisioned...more like a jaguar I pace would do the trick...
maybe some modern styling , affordable,no not the aztek or some other version of liberal cars, liberals just buy un american cars, electric cars technology not there i think,
other than than the camaros, cars need more style, 50 -60 America had good looking cars,American cars were affordable, had style,
today the kias look much better than a lot of gm products

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette brand split into three models