Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Corvette brand split into three models

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:16 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Been wanting Corvette to become a brand for a long long time.....I'd love for them for us to give us a lot more performance options not only made by GM but high performance options to live up to the Corvette name. I bet a C/SUV would sell like crazy for what it is. I think the Cayenne and the Macan have sold between 10k-20k per year.

Give us a few models with several different trim/options etc, try to begin to replicate what Porsche has done.

They have:
Macan
Cayenne
Panamera

So as the OP etc has mentioned you've got at least 3 models if you do an SUV with the current car, mid engine and an SUV. And then you can have different layouts/models of each one (GS, Z06, ZR1, Z51,Zora, new stuff)

I bet or hope that within a decade or so we'll see this....
Old 10-29-2017, 12:20 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
I hear your argument and historically it makes sense.

But, I say this: Racing fans all over the world know Corvette from Le Mans, the most watched sports car race in the world, where Corvette has been very successful since 2001. Chevy, not so much. Chevy is pretty much an American brand, as GM uses (or used to use) Vauxhall in England, Opel in Europe, Holden in Australia, and now Buick in China. Corvette can be what Porsche is by leveraging this visibility from Le Mans racing into a global brand known for high performance--no family econoboxes or minivans.

Team Corvette said with the C7 their target for performance was the 911. Why not target the entire Porsche brand, which is the world's most profitable car company, with a Corvette brand?
While I don't disagree, I'll bet many of the bean counters at GM don't know what Le Mans is.

GM sells roughly 10 millions cars per year worldwide. Porsche sells less than 250,000. While Porsche may be the most profitable car company per vehicle, managing the much smaller company into high profits may be an easier task, especially since the vehicles are so damned expensive.

The amount of sales that a Corvette brand might generate would be a tough sell to those bean counters and barley a blip on the big picture for GM.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:45 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralphroadster

maybe some modern styling , affordable,no not the aztek or some other version of liberal cars, liberals just buy un american cars, electric cars technology not there i think,
other than than the camaros, cars need more style, 50 -60 America had good looking cars,American cars were affordable, had style,
today the kias look much better than a lot of gm products
Ahhh, I can tell someone is really enjoying their adult beverages this Saturday night.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:00 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Fishermen karma was a beautiful piece of crap.

Fwiw the corvette is already a brand or rather a sub brand. That doesn't need to change. What needs to change is the manner in which leverages its iconic brand to expand to include a sports car like cuv in the same vein as the Lamborghini urus.

This go anywhere sports car four door sleek urban cruiser with awd and higher ground and passenger capacity would be a natural move for improved profitability ..

No new dealer network. No need to do anything other than produce a chassis in much the same way they do for corvette two sweaters. The technology for an electric cuv already exists with products like the bolt, the tesla and the upcoming jaguar I pace. It's a simple way to create GM "coolness" and it would halo the entire corporation much the same way the two seat sports car does right now.

Cadillacs move to a rear mid engine version of the corvette to do do battle with the Audi R8 is a misguided effort as two seat exotic like sportscars is A decade too late for a halo effect on the Cadillac brand.

Today's halo cars or rather tommorows halo vehicles will be vehicles conceptually like the Lamborghini Urus.

Not as expensive etc but in silloutte...and in concept that is what GM should target.

The corvette nameplate would save millions in advertising and marketing and launch the vehicle hard out of the gate.

Either an LT1 or LT4 powertrain with the ten speed automatic or better yet a full electric platform not unlike the tesla would be all that is needed...

Tesla has 500000 reservations for the model 3 and will equal that with the model Y.

Creating a urus like silloutte and marketing it as a corvette branded product would set the stage for GM s electric fiction throughout its lineup.

Just my two cents...

A product like this would easily be produced and not canabalise any other GM brand product

Electrics are coming and with instant torque ..it's screaming for a corvette brand nameplate..

Keep the rear mid engine and the front mid engine v8 powered and purists will be happy...

I'd buy both as I always prefer to buy GM.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:08 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I do not think we will ever get a SUV Corvette, but Ferrari is getting one, and in the last couple of days, Lotus too.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:07 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerriVette
What needs to change is the manner in which leverages its iconic brand to expand to include a sports car like cuv in the same vein as the Lamborghini urus.

This go anywhere sports car four door sleek urban cruiser with awd and higher ground and passenger capacity would be a natural move for improved profitability.

Today's halo cars or rather tommorows halo vehicles will be vehicles conceptually like the Lamborghini Urus.
Looking at this Lambo, I'm having a hard time signing onto your enthusiasm.
Sorry, but I don't see a "go anywhere" cuv at all.
I see a vehicle with indentity problems...
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.edhj2G0fDkg

Last edited by sunsalem; 10-30-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:54 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Looking at this Lambo, I'm having a hard time signing onto your enthusiasm.
Sorry, but I don't see a "go anywhere" cuv at all.
I see a vehicle with indentity problems...
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.edhj2G0fDkg
Ok....other than pricing I believe this hot rod sleek cuv quick accelerating four or five person people moving will be the hot trend segment of the cuv market.

These are the new halo vehicles from exotic car makers all the way down to mass merchants ..

This is just my opinion and I certainly don't expect it to happen for the corvette brand...

It should but it's too far an expansion outside the box....for GM executives.....who believe me I respect....

Unfortunately Elon musk , companies like jaguar and Volvo who are hungry to grow quickly ...(Indian and Chinese owned) will.

We will see the jaguar I pace and even the more traditionally styled Volvo xc40 all electric with 200 miles be a hit in the market before GM has even discussed an all EV electric cuv sports truck like the urus for the corvette brand...

It would cost huge amounts of money and GM has its PROCESSES of bringing new products to market....which protect the company from making mistakes but also diminish its ability to catch the beginning stages of a styling trend...

The ev part GM has lead to production...it's been the final implementation of the product brought to market that missed the mark...

The bolt is a homely thing that is not invoking desire of ownership....at msrp...

This is one area Lutz was so spot on...he knew desireability of the product by consumers wasn't always just a rational choice ...but one of passion...

Committee designs tend to neuter passion by their very nature...and that's the flaw in GM s design approval process...

Sorry for the rant....I think a skunk works project is the actual benefit of the corvettes very existence within GM....

Hence my suggestion for a urus type sports cuv normal humans can afford ...

This will the halo segment of the next several decades and not rear mid engine sports cars alone...

The Audi derived head of Cadillac is a decade late in his assumption....it ll be ok....and it's probably necessary and a special benefit to corvette enthusiasts.....

But a stylish hot sexy sports cuv with four doors should be a corvette stablemate...especially if we are doing front mid engine 2 seaters next to rear mid engine 2 seaters

As GM slices and dices its four door sedan market contribution.....new ways to gain market share and profitability come into play...

I know for a fact half the Porsche Cayenne sales were to guys and gals who always wanted a second Porsche but needed to fill so,e degree of family rational transportation needs....

That desire saved Porsche from collapse,...GM could benefit from that type of expansion of comfort zone thinking...

What's the worst that happens...they lower the msrp and give the things away...big deal...

That will not be the problem..

It'll be making enough to meet demand for sure
Old 10-30-2017, 01:18 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by elegant
Ferrari is getting one, and in the last couple of days, Lotus too.
Say it isn't so!!!
Old 10-30-2017, 03:14 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Sales of all sports cars has been trending down. With poorly maintained streets and less disposable income, and with cars increasing in price, finding a car that can serve several roles AND that has some sporting DNA (like a Cayenne Turbo S) makes sense. Indeed, Corvette may have long-term survival issues as just a sports car line.

While I don't disagree, I'll bet many of the bean counters at GM don't know what Le Mans is.
I suspect GM's bean counters do know what Le Mans is, as they have to manage the cost of the team, sponsorship, advertising, etc. I suspect the ongoing commitment to Team Corvette is no longer in the shadows. Plus, Le Mans is covered by 31 TV networks in 190 countries (see link below). Le Mans is that big of a deal, even if it is not so big in the USA.

http://blog.wheelsbywovka.com/24-hou...tics-analysis/

Last edited by quick04Z06; 10-30-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:32 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

I was being sarcastic when I mentioned Le Mans but I get your point. I would like nothing better than to see Corvette be its own brand with its own dealerships, service departments and additional vehicles. I just don’t believe that GM will ever take the risk or make that commitment to a niche model. I hope I’m wrong.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:04 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
finding a car that can serve several roles AND that has some sporting DNA (like a Cayenne Turbo S) makes sense.
Make mine this one:
https://www.jeep.com/grand-cherokee/trackhawk.html

Le Mans is that big of a deal, even if it is not so big in the USA.
Same is true for F1...even more so.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:12 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow....
Old 10-31-2017, 08:00 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

I really thought it was a joke when I first heard Jeep was going to drop a Hellcat in a GC...
Loved my old SRT-8 Grand Cherokee, but 707 HP?!?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:12 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

I really thought it was a joke when I first heard Jeep was going to drop a Hellcat in a GC...
Loved my old SRT-8 Grand Cherokee, but 707 HP?!?
Had a Magnum SRT. Drove it for 50K miles with no problems....but $85K for a Jeep? Yikes.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:13 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Had a Magnum SRT. Drove it for 50K miles with no problems....but $85K for a Jeep? Yikes.
The "ordinary SRT-8" starts at $67K (with the ~475hp NA Hemi).
The extra dough is for that Hellcat motor....

Last edited by sunsalem; 11-01-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:55 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

It's official - Chevy SUV with Stingray engine and 10 speed auto transmission https://mawaterarabia.com/chevrolet-...al-motor-show/
Old 11-01-2017, 07:57 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Achmed
It's official - Chevy SUV with Stingray engine and 10 speed auto transmission https://mawaterarabia.com/chevrolet-...al-motor-show/
Hmmmmmm and what else will we see

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Corvette brand split into three models

Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
There's a lot of money in the high end, performance SUV market. Jaguar, Lambo, Alfa Romeo, Porsche, BMW, all making big profits. I'm surprised GM hasn't gone down this route with Corvette.
GM has the Escalade for Lux SUV

Corvette would be nice on a RAPTOR fighter
Old 11-01-2017, 08:36 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
GM has the Escalade for Lux SUV

Corvette would be nice on a RAPTOR fighter
Escalade is certainly a different market/target than a Corvette SUV would be. Now I think A Corvette SUV would steal some sales from the Escalade, I think the Escalade is still top of the line luxury SUV for status/appearance/rich people/whatever, where a Corvette SUV can be that too, but offer a lot of different things that could appeal to a younger crowd.

I really think that eventually GM will look into doing this. Especially assuming a mid-engine sells decently. Porsche is selling ~50k units a year of the Cayenne and Macan combined. You've got to think a "cheaper" American Corvette branded SUV would be able to sell a minimum of 30k-50k units and you've gotta think they would have a nice profit margin in them too like Corvettes and other SUVs do. I just don't think GM will ignore this market for very much longer. Especially if the Porsche C/SUVs continue to sell more and more.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 03:19 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
You'd pay that for a Land Rover, and Rover started after WWII by building farm trucks on US Army surplus Jeep chassis. We as Americans get so hung up on European "prestige"....

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette brand split into three models