C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 reveal when and where ;)

Old 11-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Thanks Deb for your contributions. I'll play as well since I watched and videoed the 4- ZR1's testing around Laguna Seca for 2 1/2 days. There was also a ZO6, ZL1-1LE, and a Stingray with Grand Sport aero on it. Watching both ZR1 and the "I assume 2018 or 2019 ZO6" lap I think I can give my 2 cents...
I have a very similar speculation perspective to skank.
His Laguna Seca videos (great videos!) made for a much more educated prediction of the forthcoming C7 "Top Gun".
My money is on skank's prediction.

Last edited by Vernon; 11-04-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBlack99
do you think it will happen within a month?
A bird told me there will be an initial viewing or tease on Nov 9th with an unveiling on Nov 14th at the Dubai Motor Show. First US viewing in LA early Dec. I believe it will be ME, others think C7 ZR1. We will see .
Old 11-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Originally Posted by keagan
Did you by chance add the 133hp difference between the C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 to the current C7 Z06 and C7 ZR1? That's how I ended up getting 780. I rounded back while you rounded up. Lol
The 785 HP was a hopeful guess.

Fingers are crossed that skank is correct with an 800+ rating for the ZR1 engine. It's a very lofty goal to achieve for an OEM 6.2 L engine with a blower. The 'bullet proof' internals suggested by skank will be necessary for reliability. The blower will have to enable huge volumes of air intake (for an OEM application) and the engine must be an equal partner to support the huge increase in volumetric efficiency for 800+HP.
We know exceptional cooling will be necessary to run reliably on readily available fuel octanes.

The Demon was a tremendous OEM HP feat for quarter mile applications.
Running similar power levels sustainably and reliably for road course applications is a more demanding goal.

I hope GM pulls the "rabbit out of the hat".

Last edited by Vernon; 11-04-2017 at 06:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
keagan (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 06:32 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
A bird told me there will be an initial viewing or tease on Nov 9th with an unveiling on Nov 14th at the Dubai Motor Show. First US viewing in LA early Dec. I believe it will be ME, others think C7 ZR1. We will see .

I'm guessing it will be the ZR1 with some GM photos in advance of the Dubai show. For me, it's a big yawn at this point other than finding out the engine, HP numbers and pricing.

Don't think we'll see the production ME until Detroit 2019, but it will remain the worst kept secret in the car business for the next 15 months. Of course, I hope I'm wrong and we see something a lot sooner other than camo spy pics and bad renderings.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:51 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
If I had unlimited funds I'd have one of each model 😎🏁👍
WHAT?
And here we thought you did!

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I'm guessing it will be the ZR1 with some GM photos in advance of the Dubai show.
I can see it ONLY if it can be marketed as destroying the Ring time for streetcars.
Anything else and it will have zero international appeal.
For me, it's a big yawn at this point other than finding out the engine, HP numbers and pricing.
Agreed.
We already know what it will look like for the most part.
Don't think we'll see the production ME until Detroit 2019, but it will remain the worst kept secret in the car business for the next 15 months. Of course, I hope I'm wrong and we see something a lot sooner other than camo spy pics and bad renderings.
Nah, you're too pessimistic.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:05 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sunsalem
[B]

Nah, you're too pessimistic.

I hope you're right! Would love to see the ME in January of 2018 with production less than year from then. If that happened, though, it would put a big dent in C7 sales and flood the market with used ones.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:42 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Your source saying the ME is being revealed in Dubai is mistaken.

Last edited by jagamajajaran; 11-04-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Your source saying the ME is being revealed in Dubai is mistaken.
we may know for sure in just 5 days. I’ll buy you a beer if you’re right. Heck, even if you’re wrong I would still buy you a beer.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:06 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Thanks, Nate! Looking forward to it!
Old 11-04-2017, 10:44 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The mid engine is as far away from being revealed as all forum members receiving a wining lottery ticket within the next year.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy

Originally Posted by elegant
The mid engine is as far away from being revealed as all forum members receiving a wining lottery ticket within the next year.
If all forum members played the lotto, chances are pretty good! Lol. Maybe we should do a forum lotto pool, winner shares with all 😂
Old 11-05-2017, 09:57 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I still think the ZR1 reveal will be at the LA Auto Show on 12/1. The ME will be shown in Detroit in January 2019. These are my guesses and I'm still sticking to them.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:34 AM
conceptmachine
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlaing
Or, my worry is they keep the ZR1 as top and release a base version of the ME. That would suck bad. I'm hoping for the top dog ME off the bat!! Hoping they don't dribble the models out over the next couple of years!!
that's me too. They should fear cafe and release the biggest most powerful models, NA and FI right out of the gate.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:09 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,428 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I've heard speculation going both ways - i.e. when they get around to releasing the ME, they'll release the top dog variant of it - and I've heard the opposite, that they'll release the base variant of it first, just like they've done with previous platforms.

It appears the ME is 2 years away from purchase - i.e. publicly shown at NAIAS in January 2019 - for production release that fall, which is basically 2 years from now, give or take. If it leads with a high hp unit, I'll let them build it for a year to work out the bugs. If they lead with a lower hp variant, well that could add to the timeline.

Oh well, 1st world problems. In the meantime I have a Callaway C7 Z06 and a Lingenfelter ZR1 to bide my time with.

It just seems curious there is discussion about the order the ME variants - high hp first, or low hp first.

Guess we'll know in due course.
conceptmachine (11-07-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I've heard speculation going both ways - i.e. when they get around to releasing the ME, they'll release the top dog variant of it - and I've heard the opposite, that they'll release the base variant of it first, just like they've done with previous platforms.

It appears the ME is 2 years away from purchase - i.e. publicly shown at NAIAS in January 2019 - for production release that fall, which is basically 2 years from now, give or take. If it leads with a high hp unit, I'll let them build it for a year to work out the bugs. If they lead with a lower hp variant, well that could add to the timeline.

Oh well, 1st world problems. In the meantime I have a Callaway C7 Z06 and a Lingenfelter ZR1 to bide my time with.

It just seems curious there is discussion about the order the ME variants - high hp first, or low hp first.

Because ME is such a drastic change from the original formula, I think it makes the most business sense to show the world and the Corvette Loyalists what they got by coming out with the top dog ZR1 ME Corvette first. Let the die-hard Corvette people soak it in for a couple years and they’ll be on board when the C8 comes out.

There needs to be a smooth transition, GM has handled Corvette with a lot of love and care over the past 20+ years. It would be foolish not to warm up their core buyers.

Last edited by Nate@VanBortelChevy; 11-05-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:59 AM
Vernon
Drifting

It will be interesting to see the target market for the ME upon introduction. Will it be the high dollar supercar market, the more affordable Cayman/Boxster market, or possibly both/more models to appeal to a broader market of consumers, similar to the C7 line-up.

GM has the resources to develop a market leader using the ME platform.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:01 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

You have sufficient power to keep you occupied until such time. Badass cars you have there.
The following 2 users liked this post by keagan:
OnPoint (11-06-2017), VETTE-NV (11-06-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 reveal when and where ;)

Old 11-05-2017, 12:31 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

I don’t think we’re two years away from purchase. If that were the case, that means the 19 model as is would run for over 18 months. Don’t see that happening. Sales for the C7 would be completely dead by then if they wait nine months after the reveal to start selling the new car. I think the ME car will be released in 2019 soon after the Detroit show as a 2020 model. The ME would bring some traffic into the showrooms which would still help C7 sales. Yet another reason to release the high-end version first so as not to compete with the lower-priced C7 models that will still be in production.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy

Originally Posted by Vernon
It will be interesting to see the target market for the ME upon introduction. Will it be the high dollar supercar market, the more affordable Cayman/Boxster market, or possibly both/more models to appeal to a broader market of consumers, similar to the C7 line-up.

GM has the resources to develop a market leader using the ME platform.
I think they will offer both. ME does not automatically equate to very expensive. It’s simply a different design. The MR2, Fiero, etc. were all cheaper than a Corvette at the time. Entry level ME Corvette at $60k to $65k, super car ZR1 ME at $125k to $150k. Just my wild guess!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I think they will offer both. ME does not automatically equate to very expensive. It’s simply a different design. The MR2, Fiero, etc. were all cheaper than a Corvette at the time. Entry level ME Corvette at $60k to $65k, super car ZR1 ME at $125k to $150k. Just my wild guess!
Mid engine wont be anywhere near $150k. $120k tops, IMO. If they want to sell some that is...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZR1 reveal when and where ;)