Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest 2019 ZR1 & Latest Mid engine 2020

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 01:05 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
I would hope any issues like overheating were fixed before the release of the ME but we know GM doesn't work that way. They usually let the customer tell them stuff they already know but won't admit like the overheating in the Z06. I don't know if the shuddering was known or not but it also happens on some of their cash cows like the pick ups. So I suppose they'll release the ME and we'll find out what things need to be fixed.
Shuddering?
Old 11-26-2017, 02:28 PM
dznr723
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
I presently own two Corvettes (a C7 GS and a C5 Z06) and I've owned seven Corvettes throughout my life. So you can say I'm a big fan of the product. One of the things me and my wife love about the Corvette, no matter what year, is ample luggage space in the back of the car. We love going on overnight road trips with friends and the local Corvette club and for us its always a great time and we look forward to it every year.

Ok, so now it looks like a mid engine is the future. So there goes stowing luggage. Unless you want to get luggage racks I suppose. That's why I'd never buy a Porsche, Lamborghini or Ferrari, and its not that I can't afford one. What good is the car if you can't take it on a road trip? And please don't tell me everyone who owns a P car, Lambo or Ferrari is a track rat. I have friends who own these vehicles and they hardly ever drive them. I drive my Vettes as much as I can and have a blast doing it!

In my opinion, the whole mid engine thing is so GM can say to the Europeans, see, we're just like you guys now! Personally, I don't want to be like the Euro flash trash. My friend's new Porsche grenaded the motor after a little over a year, the other guys Lambo breaks down daily, and a buddy of mine who has a Ferrari has to take it to the Dealership for a tune up every other month, and it costs a second mortgage to repair. Really. All of my Vettes, have been bullet proof. Drive the hell out of them, race and beat them, and they come back for more with no complaints. The Europeans (and a lot of Americans) talk about superior build quality, well, at least my Vette doesn't break down when you look at cross-eyed!

I'll be buying the new ZR1, love that car! But I'd hate to think that would be the last new Vette I buy because the utility of the car has now been compromised just so GM could throw the engine in back to be like everyone else. Yes, I know there are some engineering advantages to a rear engine race car, but GM should at least continue to offer a high performance front engine model for their loyal fan base who love the Vette's versatility.
With all due respect, what kind of Ferrari does your friend own that he needs to get it tuned up every other month? I’ve owned 5 Ferraris and have never had to get ‘tune-up’s’ like that. Oil change and maintainance once a year and i’m good to go.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:43 PM
-vet
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default C7 plus C8 all together

Originally Posted by danm1
I presently own two Corvettes (a C7 GS and a C5 Z06) and I've owned seven Corvettes throughout my life. So you can say I'm a big fan of the product. One of the things me and my wife love about the Corvette, no matter what year, is ample luggage space in the back of the car. We love going on overnight road trips with friends and the local Corvette club and for us its always a great time and we look forward to it every year.

Ok, so now it looks like a mid engine is the future. So there goes stowing luggage. Unless you want to get luggage racks I suppose. That's why I'd never buy a Porsche, Lamborghini or Ferrari, and its not that I can't afford one. What good is the car if you can't take it on a road trip? And please don't tell me everyone who owns a P car, Lambo or Ferrari is a track rat. I have friends who own these vehicles and they hardly ever drive them. I drive my Vettes as much as I can and have a blast doing it!

In my opinion, the whole mid engine thing is so GM can say to the Europeans, see, we're just like you guys now! Personally, I don't want to be like the Euro flash trash. My friend's new Porsche grenaded the motor after a little over a year, the other guys Lambo breaks down daily, and a buddy of mine who has a Ferrari has to take it to the Dealership for a tune up every other month, and it costs a second mortgage to repair. Really. All of my Vettes, have been bullet proof. Drive the hell out of them, race and beat them, and they come back for more with no complaints. The Europeans (and a lot of Americans) talk about superior build quality, well, at least my Vette doesn't break down when you look at cross-eyed!

I'll be buying the new ZR1, love that car! But I'd hate to think that would be the last new Vette I buy because the utility of the car has now been compromised just so GM could throw the engine in back to be like everyone else. Yes, I know there are some engineering advantages to a rear engine race car, but GM should at least continue to offer a high performance front engine model for their loyal fan base who love the Vette's versatility.

You will continue to be able to purchase a C7 Corvette as it will be offered along side the ME version. The C3 Corvette was sold for more than a decade. The C7 will continue which is where you will still be able to get a manual transmission (three pedal) version to.

Last edited by -vet; 11-26-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:57 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by f-16pilotTX
beautiful! Let’s get some mid engine designs in as well

The following users liked this post:
elegant (02-27-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 01:20 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
I would hope any issues like overheating were fixed before the release of the ME but we know GM doesn't work that way. They usually let the customer tell them stuff they already know but won't admit like the overheating in the Z06. I don't know if the shuddering was known or not but it also happens on some of their cash cows like the pick ups. So I suppose they'll release the ME and we'll find out what things need to be fixed.
Overheating?.....
Old 02-28-2018, 08:06 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Overheating?.....
What about it? I don't just draw pretty pictures.

Last edited by Shaka; 02-28-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:04 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
What about it? I don't just draw pretty pictures.
If you are happy with your answer than nothing about it.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:49 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka

Some very different aero/cooling treatments C7 vs ME.

Last edited by elegant; 02-28-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Easy Money
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a ZR1 coming, will be built mid April and own and plan on keeping my 2015 Z06. My belief is that there are a significant number of potential ZR-1 buyers that opted out in order to keep their powder dry in anticipation of the New C-8.

That said, I further believe there will be quite a number of ME transmission and engine configurations, mods and changes in the years following the initial release, so therefore in my view getting in a hurry and purchasing one would be akin to purchasing a stingray Z-51 when what you really wanted was a Z06. Maybe??
Old 03-06-2018, 10:43 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

By the time the mid engine vette is available in 2020, other cars will have advanced far beyond the reported performance levels. Imagine a 0-60 in 1.9 s Telsa sedan or a 780 McLaren. Would still prefer the vette if under 150k with 1.2 g cornering and about a 10s flat 1/4 mi.

Quick Reply: Latest 2019 ZR1 & Latest Mid engine 2020