Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest 2019 ZR1 & Latest Mid engine 2020

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 01:19 PM
f-16pilotTX
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 107 Posts

I don’t think it looks that horrible
Old 11-23-2017, 01:22 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
I use existing architecture and from what I see here, the car looks pretty awful in every way. The roof line and windshield is really primitive. Even this 1968 Ferrari 365 with the driver sitting in the middle looks better.
They are catering to a demographic that demands spaciousness and luxury which includes their golf clubs which restrains the designers severely.
For perfection, take a look at Peter Steven's Jag XJR 15 and his McLaren F1 roofs. The F488 is pretty luxurious with a very nice roof line. The Lambos, well they cater to a young unique demographic, which is the envy of car designers.
I gotta come up with a body that matches that horrible roof line. Don't want to do it. The C7 is even worse. Who wants such a huge cockpit in a sports car especially a mid engine one. Remember how amazing it was just to sit in a C2, C3 and C4 cockpits. That's all gone now. If Ford can do it, why not Corvette.

I for one would prefer a "drive-able" and usable car and would hope the designers can deliver both exciting style AND capability without sacrificing drive-able function. The C8 doesn't need to be a full on race/track car with minimal cockpit to attract younger drivers IMO. The windscreen/roof-line on the mules actually are very close to the Ferrari so I think they will be OK if all the details come together.

The concept examples you site are very cool designs but most would be imposible or impractable to actually build or drive or even get into without a shoehorn.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 11-23-2017 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Everyone thinks they have a scoop....
The ZR Will debut soon but don't hold your breath for the ME
...I guess you think you have a scoop too...
Old 11-23-2017, 07:32 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Now that the ZR1 has been revealed and production starts early next year, I doubt GM will reveal a Corvette ME any time soon...a Caddy version, maybe.
But not a Corvette.
No doubt it would affect ZR1 sales if they did do so.
The ZR1 should be GM's Top Dog for awhile still.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:04 PM
f-16pilotTX
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Now that the ZR1 has been revealed and production starts early next year, I doubt GM will reveal a Corvette ME any time soon...a Caddy version, maybe.
But not a Corvette.
No doubt it would affect ZR1 sales if they did do so.
The ZR1 should be GM's Top Dog for awhile still.
General consensus of the forum members is that when the C8 mid engine will be released (hopefully January 2019) that it will be as a base model, at about 70k. Still allowing the C7 ZR1 to be top dog for a couple of years until more aggressive line ups are introduced.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:38 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Exactly what I was thinking...
Old 11-25-2017, 03:59 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

18 months we will know one way or the other. Should be fun debating nothing but rumors and desires till then.

I'm hopeful we'll see an American LT1 , LT4 and LT5 powered mid rear engine sportscar called corvette.

DCT would be nice.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:42 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I've driven several Lambo's and I've been to the factory. My daily driver is a C5 which I've had to repair on a monthly basis. I can only hope that GM used a Lambo as the standard they're shooting for.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:44 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerriVette

I'm hopeful we'll see an American LT1 , LT4 and LT5 powered mid rear engine sportscar called corvette.
DOHC all the way...pushrods don't belong in an ME.
PurpleLion (03-05-2018)
Old 11-25-2017, 07:51 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

What i love about corvettes is not just their superior performance but the low cost of purchase and ownership.

Sharing parts with other GM vehicles such as the v8 trucks makes me laugh as I hear about the 60k or 80k mile services that are often performed on supposedly "superior engineered "German vehicles.

I never want those headaches that plague German BMW v8 s or even sixes.

I prefer the tried and true engines GM puts through 300k mile validation tests.

My corvettes have always been purchased new and I put a lot of miles on them. I service them with oil changes and spark plug changes ...maybe a weeping water pump and that's it..

What I hear about German brand high performance engines leaves me less than impressed.

What can I say but I'm a fan of low weight, compact high hp inexpensive powerplants...

If the c8 had a Dohc engine it wouldn't make me avoid the vehicle but I would lament the loss of such a simple and powerful yet totally reliable engine as the LS and LT series GM engines.
RapidC84B (11-26-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 08:12 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Mid Engine blues

I presently own two Corvettes (a C7 GS and a C5 Z06) and I've owned seven Corvettes throughout my life. So you can say I'm a big fan of the product. One of the things me and my wife love about the Corvette, no matter what year, is ample luggage space in the back of the car. We love going on overnight road trips with friends and the local Corvette club and for us its always a great time and we look forward to it every year.

Ok, so now it looks like a mid engine is the future. So there goes stowing luggage. Unless you want to get luggage racks I suppose. That's why I'd never buy a Porsche, Lamborghini or Ferrari, and its not that I can't afford one. What good is the car if you can't take it on a road trip? And please don't tell me everyone who owns a P car, Lambo or Ferrari is a track rat. I have friends who own these vehicles and they hardly ever drive them. I drive my Vettes as much as I can and have a blast doing it!

In my opinion, the whole mid engine thing is so GM can say to the Europeans, see, we're just like you guys now! Personally, I don't want to be like the Euro flash trash. My friend's new Porsche grenaded the motor after a little over a year, the other guys Lambo breaks down daily, and a buddy of mine who has a Ferrari has to take it to the Dealership for a tune up every other month, and it costs a second mortgage to repair. Really. All of my Vettes, have been bullet proof. Drive the hell out of them, race and beat them, and they come back for more with no complaints. The Europeans (and a lot of Americans) talk about superior build quality, well, at least my Vette doesn't break down when you look at cross-eyed!

I'll be buying the new ZR1, love that car! But I'd hate to think that would be the last new Vette I buy because the utility of the car has now been compromised just so GM could throw the engine in back to be like everyone else. Yes, I know there are some engineering advantages to a rear engine race car, but GM should at least continue to offer a high performance front engine model for their loyal fan base who love the Vette's versatility.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:53 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If the c8 had a Dohc engine it wouldn't make me avoid the vehicle but I would lament the loss of such a simple and powerful yet totally reliable engine as the LS and LT series GM engines.

There are ZR-1s out there with well over 200,000 miles on them with nothing more than tuneups and the engine has never been out of the car.
The original LT5 is about as bullet proof as they get.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:54 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaliforniaJack
I've driven several Lambo's and I've been to the factory. My daily driver is a C5 which I've had to repair on a monthly basis. I can only hope that GM used a Lambo as the standard they're shooting for.
Actually I’ve read in several publications that the 911 Turbo was the benchmark and a burgandy 911 can be seen in the background of one of the pictures of the car at the McDonalds drive through.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:11 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF

There are ZR-1s out there with well over 200,000 miles on them with nothing more than tuneups and the engine has never been out of the car.
The original LT5 is about as bullet proof as they get.
Your missing the point..repair cost on the Dohc motor can get expensive quite fast..

BMW m series motors are notorious for their expensive repairs. Same for AMG.

I'm not bashing their technology. I'm just stating a fact. Parts sharing with hundreds of thousands of GM trucks simply lowers production costs as well as repair costs.

Durability of the ls powerplants is legendary.

As is the compact powerful powerplant in performance applications.

I'm a fan of Dohc engines since the 1960s..yet I learned over the years GM s ohv small blocks are superior.

In fact ohv engines are an older technology than ohv...

Some experts look at hp versus engine displacement because that is how Europe taxed their consumers. I prefer to look at hp and tq in relationship to engine size and weight.

Seems more logical to its relationship to how a vehicle performs as well as its fuel efficiency.

That said..I don't want to argue which engine type is better as it's been done a thousand times ...and in the end whatever GM chooses for an engine type for the mid engine corvette I'll own one,

Same for the transmission type.

I have confidence the end result based off of decades of class leading performance the next generation will perform even better than the already amazing c7 variants. (Z51/z06/zr1)

We as enthusiasts will be going bonkers without question..

Sure some will complain about things like the shape of the tail lights or whatever other changes occur...but in the end...sales will increase...and we will all want one to own...

Last edited by JerriVette; 11-25-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:17 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,167 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Give me a NA pushrod motor, stick shift, and RWD in a mid-engine configuration and I'm in love. They'll mess it up with forced induction and electric FWD.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:55 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Your missing the point..repair cost on the Dohc motor can get expensive quite fast..

BMW m series motors are notorious for their expensive repairs. Same for AMG.

I'm not bashing their technology. I'm just stating a fact. Parts sharing with hundreds of thousands of GM trucks simply lowers production costs as well as repair costs.

Durability of the ls powerplants is legendary.

As is the compact powerful powerplant in performance applications.

I'm a fan of Dohc engines since the 1960s..yet I learned over the years GM s ohv small blocks are superior.

In fact ohv engines are an older technology than ohv...

Some experts look at hp versus engine displacement because that is how Europe taxed their consumers. I prefer to look at hp and tq in relationship to engine size and weight.

Seems more logical to its relationship to how a vehicle performs as well as its fuel efficiency.

That said..I don't want to argue which engine type is better as it's been done a thousand times ...and in the end whatever GM chooses for an engine type for the mid engine corvette I'll own one,

Same for the transmission type.

I have confidence the end result based off of decades of class leading performance the next generation will perform even better than the already amazing c7 variants. (Z51/z06/zr1)

We as enthusiasts will be going bonkers without question..

Sure some will complain about things like the shape of the tail lights or whatever other changes occur...but in the end...sales will increase...and we will all want one to own...
Not entirely, this isn’t a BMW,Mercedes whatever. The original LT5s don’t break and when they do most likely it’s because somebody got stupid. For once atleast GM has the Europeans's beat on this one. GM owned Lotus at the time so let’s just save that argument. GMs single cam 16 valve engines have been kicking all the bigasses but at some point they will need to turn the page and onto multivalve applications. I think it’s outrageous GM has always been able to compete with 16 valves but it’s only a matter of time. Once again just can’t compare GM it inthe others when I comes to this LT5 engine,can’t speak for the other multivalve engines in GMs lineup,only to what I have experienced.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:34 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by danm1

Ok, so now it looks like a mid engine is the future. So there goes stowing luggage. Unless you want to get luggage racks I suppose.
NO ONE outside of GM knows exactly how much storage space will be available with their ME design.
Let's not give in to hysteria and wait for the specs.

Get notified of new replies

To Latest 2019 ZR1 & Latest Mid engine 2020

Old 11-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

You don't belong on this planet.
http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine..._yardstick.htm
Old 11-26-2017, 12:53 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Uhhh, OK...thanx for playing.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

I would hope any issues like overheating were fixed before the release of the ME but we know GM doesn't work that way. They usually let the customer tell them stuff they already know but won't admit like the overheating in the Z06. I don't know if the shuddering was known or not but it also happens on some of their cash cows like the pick ups. So I suppose they'll release the ME and we'll find out what things need to be fixed.

Quick Reply: Latest 2019 ZR1 & Latest Mid engine 2020