Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C8 wishlist

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 11:58 AM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
I like the list but at 73 now by the time a mid-engine Corvette hits the lots I will be in my mid to late 70's and while I like the idea of a 500+ hp car I doubt the the DPS guy giving me my manditory driving test every year would think that it was OK...LOL The meek C7 I have now is plenty for me on the street. Fast, not really, quick, many cheaper are quicker. But, Damn, it is a great car and I hope that I am alive to see the mid engine...one of the few times that I really wish I were younger....
I have a friend who has a few years on you and she drives a Z06 and has never mentioned being intimidated by the car, so maybe you're selling yourself short. But she is probably a little exceptional, also.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:12 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowridr
I have been wondering about gauges too. I love the way the C7 looks except the rear end which I can hold my nose and put up with. The interior I can deal with except it being a little less cramped would help. Wish the steering wheel was more attractive.

But the biggest issue for me appearance wise is the dash layout. I just think they could have done better. This is the reason I have hesitated to purchase a C7. I love my C6 layout especially the gauges. This leads me to my main point.

What if GM gave the gauges the ability to be displayed like each generation. I am really partial to the C2 mid-year cars, early C4, and C6 gauge layouts. We spend most of our time seated and driving when with these cars, right? So why not give them this kind of flexibility. They already allow a limited amount of layout flexibility with the C7 gauges.

Lastly, a manual transmission is a must. If this disappears Ill probably not be interested. Driving these cars is all about experience for me. I don't track mine but I just love the ability to run through the gears like I do on my C6.
Originally Posted by JerriVette
I think we will see a naturally aspirated 500 hp hopped up LT1 ..and the LT4 and LT5 for supercar levels of hp tq and performance..

We ll see a manual transmission for sure.

Not sure if it'll be the A10 or dct.

One set of golf clubs fit in the very slow selling 2017 Acura NSX..so i expect something similiar with the rear mid engine corvette...not that most of us play golf or care...but some guys must...

I believe we will have a targa roof like the mclaren 570 spyder but not sure if a motorized retraction will be standard. I think the targa c8 will land behind the seats and not in the trunk unless it rides above the motor...but I don't think that will be the solution.

MRC shocks not spool valve.

The rest of your questions I don't have any idea....
The NSX doesnt have a front trunk right because of the hybrid components? I only see that rear space...hopefully we get a 911/Cayman style front trunk (frunk). MRC suspension is fine.. I am ok with my manual top removal on my c7, isnt too hard and has a place to lock it in the trunk.

I see the 6.2 LT1 will have a variation in the c8 mid engine? Maybe they get it to 500hp... but wonder if the redline goes past 7000... I think the 4 and 5 liter v8 engines will be some turbo monsters... will see if its sorted well. I was always wary on the current c7 Z06 650hp after the motortrend reviews and driver complaints on here (overheating plus handling issues).
Old 11-30-2017, 07:43 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Chevy goes mid-engine on the mainstream car and watch unit sales tank. Why? Nowhere to put your stuff. The car won't be easy to live with. For example: if I take the wheels off my racing bicycle I can easily fit it in the cargo area of my C7 Stingray. I doubt a mid-engine car would have that kind of room.

That makes the Corvette easy to live with and rather practical actually, particularly for such a high performance sports car. I think it's that along with the moderate price (a very low price considering the car's performance vs. anything else you can buy) that garners 20K-40K unit sales annually. Remember that while Corvettes are inexpensive vs. Porsche, Ferrari, etc., they are pricey cars in general (roughly double the average new car transaction price which is about $33K in the USA).

In my own case the car I shopped vs. the Corvette was a BMW M2 and M4 coupes. If I couldn't fit my bicycle in the Corvette I'd probably be driving one of those. I put my bicycle in the car and drive down to NJ (I live up in Orange County NY) closer to NYC to ride with my old bike racing pals a few times a month, if I couldn't fit it in the Corvette, I wouldn't be able to drive it on those trips, with this car I can do both.

I'd argue that a more successful strategy would be sticking with a front engine layout, maybe going to AWD on the car(s), and replacing the Z06 and ZR1 with a mid-engine Corvette. Otherwise I'd be very surprised if GM can sustain the unit sales they have enjoyed with this car for 50+ years. No other sports car on the U.S. market remotely approaches the sales volumes of Corvette, even much lower priced sports cars don't get there. America loves the Corvette, but part of that is how easy the car is to live with in my view.

That's my .02. It will be fascinating to see where GM goes with this. In the meantime I'm loving the C7 and still exploring its capabilities while trying to keep it out of the weeds : ). Mine is a 2017 Z-51, Nav/PDR, Transparent Roof, M7; a couple of cosmetic upgrades: Z06 grill/cameras, GM carbon fiber dash, Block-It sound deadening mats
Old 11-30-2017, 08:49 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

^ wow that really is impressive ... The 911 still sells well and cannot do that kind of storage.. I think thats what they are going after (get their volume and go after Porsches also)... but I agree you cant move up to go after Porsche and lose your volume vette owner who wants to pay $49k...

a base C7 stingray without Z51 or anything 2LT, regular leather seats, automatic with nav is probably the volume seller on this car..

My boxters and Lotus were mid engine. Porsche's had room in back for stuff and the front frunk was very deep for stuff.... my lotus on the other hand could barely handle a small gym bag in the back the front was not accessible... I drove from DC to upstate NY once in my Exige S and had to keep a big suitcase in the passenger seat
Old 12-03-2017, 06:21 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Default C8 mid engine, Si...

Best ever to happen to the corvette inching to super car status for a while, a tween turbo mid engine is a giant leap to super car stardom (a must have for me)

Can't wait to see Chevy's trans axle and gear choice an auto for me.

Wait so all the engine weight to the back? Oh yeah goodby traction problems!

Two turbos? I like that!
Old 12-03-2017, 10:10 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

^^^ Makes two of us. I will sit out the first year of production though
Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Mid engine will never have the trunk room of a C7 coupe.

Buy an SUV for trunk room
Old 12-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by patentcad
Chevy goes mid-engine on the mainstream car and watch unit sales tank. Why? Nowhere to put your stuff. The car won't be easy to live with. For example: if I take the wheels off my racing bicycle I can easily fit it in the cargo area of my C7 Stingray. I doubt a mid-engine car would have that kind of room.

That makes the Corvette easy to live with and rather practical actually, particularly for such a high performance sports car. I think it's that along with the moderate price (a very low price considering the car's performance vs. anything else you can buy) that garners 20K-40K unit sales annually. Remember that while Corvettes are inexpensive vs. Porsche, Ferrari, etc., they are pricey cars in general (roughly double the average new car transaction price which is about $33K in the USA).

In my own case the car I shopped vs. the Corvette was a BMW M2 and M4 coupes. If I couldn't fit my bicycle in the Corvette I'd probably be driving one of those. I put my bicycle in the car and drive down to NJ (I live up in Orange County NY) closer to NYC to ride with my old bike racing pals a few times a month, if I couldn't fit it in the Corvette, I wouldn't be able to drive it on those trips, with this car I can do both.

I'd argue that a more successful strategy would be sticking with a front engine layout, maybe going to AWD on the car(s), and replacing the Z06 and ZR1 with a mid-engine Corvette. Otherwise I'd be very surprised if GM can sustain the unit sales they have enjoyed with this car for 50+ years. No other sports car on the U.S. market remotely approaches the sales volumes of Corvette, even much lower priced sports cars don't get there. America loves the Corvette, but part of that is how easy the car is to live with in my view.

That's my .02. It will be fascinating to see where GM goes with this. In the meantime I'm loving the C7 and still exploring its capabilities while trying to keep it out of the weeds : ). Mine is a 2017 Z-51, Nav/PDR, Transparent Roof, M7; a couple of cosmetic upgrades: Z06 grill/cameras, GM carbon fiber dash, Block-It sound deadening mats
There will be 2 Corvettes simultaneously for a while. The ME halo car to fight the FORD GT et. & an FE like C7 for the masses
Old 12-05-2017, 03:59 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

I dunno, if there is a 6.2 LT mid engine it doesnt have to be 6 figures... again a Boxster or Lotus was mid engine and wasnt 100k
Old 12-05-2017, 04:18 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

how do people feel about "manual-adjustable" ride height?

Would be nice to have a lifting feature for normal road, driveways etc and a lowered "track" mode. I think.

I am sure there are reasons they are not offered? Or are they?

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 12-05-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by ShahulX
I dunno, if there is a 6.2 LT mid engine it doesnt have to be 6 figures... again a Boxster or Lotus was mid engine and wasnt 100k
GM isn’t interested in using Corvette to challenge Cayman or Lotus. That’s pointless.

They want to challenge Ford GT, Aventador, Ferrari, McLaren.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
how do people feel about "manual-adjustable" ride height?

Would be nice to have a lifting feature for normal road, driveways etc and a lowered "track" mode. I think.

I am sure there are reasons they are not offered? Or are they?
Lambo has this for front. Not sure re modern Ferrari, McLaren etc but they should too.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

I think if Corvette really wants the ME to be a daily "driver" they should be doing this. No need to be an inch off the ground driving under 50mph IMO. With the magnetic shocks, is this possible without adding weight? Just be dialing in a stop height?

Any engineers here?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:42 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Mid engine will never have the trunk room of a C7 coupe.

Buy an SUV for trunk room
Neither does the convertible ........ I don't buy a Corvette for the trunk room
Old 01-03-2018, 12:25 PM
BAMF AE
Safety Car

Location: The Surgeon General has warned that it's ok to smoke mustangs!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I would my ME Vette to come with a blonde
Old 01-03-2018, 12:41 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BAMF AE
I would my ME Vette to come with a blonde
...better be more specific...Gary Busey may be listening!

Old 01-03-2018, 12:48 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Haha Busey..

Porsche has the ability to raise the front... I love the way the Ford GT drops in race mode.. That would be awesome.

I went away for before xmas and I had a flat in my Merecdes...so I packed up the vette and we went...Im SHOCKED how much fit in there... but at teh end of the day Id be happy with some space in the back and a deep Frunk like a Cayman

Get notified of new replies

To My C8 wishlist

Old 01-03-2018, 12:49 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
GM isn’t interested in using Corvette to challenge Cayman or Lotus. That’s pointless.

They want to challenge Ford GT, Aventador, Ferrari, McLaren.
Agreed, Im just using them as an example of price points that are mid engine and not 150k
Old 01-03-2018, 01:16 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Haha Busey..

Porsche has the ability to raise the front... I love the way the Ford GT drops in race mode.. That would be awesome.

I went away for before xmas and I had a flat in my Merecdes...so I packed up the vette and we went...Im SHOCKED how much fit in there... but at teh end of the day Id be happy with some space in the back and a deep Frunk like a Cayman
Not an expert in layout, engine size etc, BUT, the Turbo S, which has been testing with the ME, has front and rear active aero, retractable ragtop and 4 seats...although small rear and AWD.

With a little redesign (of the turbo s) I don't see why the ME can't have a bunch of storage room behind the seats as well as up frunk... but the CAD images don't show a lot of room there.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-03-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

So I don't stay with many brands long... I am 38 now, had 41 cars... this is my 1st vette, had many german cars, I work for Benz (have one also for a DD), a few american cars, many japanese, a Brit... so far no italian (love the 458 and huracan)

Anyhow... I am wondering if I will stick with the corvette brand in the future... if you asked me 6 years ago if I'd ever become a vette guy I would have said no... not sure why really... always loved the C5 on up

What are the odds.. we get:

1. mid engine (high obviously).. hopefully get a good frunk, like storage in my c7

2. a high revving NA engine (7500 rpm+)...seems good based on leaks and mid engine layout?? I assume no flat plane crank (would like)?

3. 500 plus NA hp out of that car? My 17 Grand sport is nice at 460, I dont want force induction, but I wish it was 500+

4. will keep a 3 pedal manual?

5. retain a removable top, cant tell from spy shots?

6. gain rear steering

7. active aero? like the huracan performante (which they patented unfortunately)... or some massive downforce

8. the spool valve suspension from the camaro z28 and the 1le Zl1?

9. some random interior stuff id love is ability for full alcantara (microfiber), optional from factory harness (like the viper acr) with comp seats, fire extinguisher, big ambient lighting like the Mercedes S/E or even camaro

I want the TURN SIGNAL incorporated into the HUD

Quick Reply: My C8 wishlist