Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C8 wishlist

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:36 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
With the fall’s physical Plant complete makeover, the maxiumum hourly capacity of the Plant has been revised downward from 17.2 Corvettes per hour to now just 14.0 (and that 14.0 is the “red line” maximum paint shop output), with typical production now at just 11.6 Corvettes per hour.

The source of preceding information was a public presentation of Kai Spande in late August (still on YouTube and earlier posted here thanks to jagamajajaran).

Kai’s particular comment was in close proxmity to his statement that GM is rightsizing the Plant for complete-Corvette-generation demand. It suggested to many of us present that GM has finally realized that its past practice of max overtime the first two/three years, producing more than the market can absorb during that time period, with consequent massive dealership sales discount andGM incentives-to-dealers, was not the most fiscally-non-prudent approach (understatement from a GM and dealer point of view).

So maybe, or perhaps probably, GM is going to only produce around 25,000 Corvettes per year from now on? [11.6/hour X 8 hours per day X 270 days per year = 25,000 Corvettes per year.]
Does that mean that quality will be better or that it will take longer to build them
Old 01-26-2018, 08:41 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
That would be terrific for driver/navigator rally driving, but I am not wanting any passenger knowledge/input for the rest of the time.
Turn signals in the HUD
Old 01-26-2018, 10:22 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Does that mean that quality will be better or that it will take longer to build them
We know the paint quality is vastly better since the new paint shop went on line (based on the evaluations from a couple of forum dealers who have received 8+ truckloads of 2nd batch 2018’s between them since the beginning of December).

We sure hope that the quality of the rest of the operation has similarly improved. One thing that is better, is the all new assembly equipment as a result of the overhaul. Also, during that 13 weeks, every employee went through complete retraining — both computer and hands on, were re-tested on their skill set, then all went through another round of retraining.

As to the basic question, employees now have 5 minutes to do their set of jobs instead of the previous three. Yet, they have longer and/or more complex jobs to do.

Finally, within the plant are major new systems to make every employees’ job is easier to do, as well new, major re-org steps to reduce assembly line chances of vehicle parts’ damage. The best example of the latter is their now installing all the exterior panels at the end of the assembly process instead of the earlier process, e.g., greatly reducing the time for install equipment and employees negatively impacting the visible panels in the previous system as they went further down the line.

Last edited by elegant; 01-26-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:37 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

I would like a slightly wider drivers seat. I am a big guy, and the only way i can get into my C7 Z06 is by cramming myself in and hold my breath. If the cockpit gets any smaller, i wont be able to get into the car.

The quality of materials in the C7 interior is much improved over the C6 and C5, but these cars have much more interior room than the C7.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:25 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Good entry price 85k or under
Steering wheel airbag cover not a fan. C7 Z diameter and flat bottom is perfect.
Enough trunk space in front and behind seats. (Not easy to do and making car easy to work on)
Better exhaust tips verses what we have seen on test cars.
Improved seat bottom. Want a seat leg extension. Most Europeans sports cars have this option. BMW M and Porsche have manual and electric version.My 2010 R8 had horrible seats. New R8 spot on.
Easy to lower hate wheel arch gaps. C7 just lower the bolts made it easy. My Z06 sat way to tall.
Front suspension lift system.
Hydraulic type rear wing that is controlled by speed and driving performance conditions. Or a option similar to the Z. Just want better adjustability and not with cheep looking screws from the local hardware store.
Multi mode exhaust and suspension controls like my previous Z06.
PDR. Love that feature.
Paint improvement please. New paint shop should help.
Carbon fiber options, interior and exterior
Wheel options and non run flat tire option. (for track junkies)
Nice interior controls C7 much better still need to get closer to Audi and others.
Release it before the economic conditions change. Tired of excuses why they killed the ME.

Last edited by fasttoys; 01-27-2018 at 10:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fasttoys:
elegant (01-27-2018), firstvettesoon (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 12:12 PM
elegant
Safety Car

While we have seen have no evidence of canards yet, but perhaps on the year two ZORA version.

Camaro’s Chief Engineer for the last decade, Al Oppenheiser, was just quoted this week as wanting a sub-7:00 minute ‘Ring time for an upcoming Camaro.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2018, 01:00 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
I would like a slightly wider drivers seat. I am a big guy, and the only way i can get into my C7 Z06 is by cramming myself in and hold my breath. If the cockpit gets any smaller, i wont be able to get into the car.

The quality of materials in the C7 interior is much improved over the C6 and C5, but these cars have much more interior room than the C7.
Id be ok with that on the reg seats... if the competition seats were tighter and more of a bucket (like the Porsche carbon fiber sport buckets in the Gt3/Gt4/boxster spyder)

my C7 has the comp seats and I still slide around while driving on a road course.. better with the cinch feature on the belts... but still I move some

Last edited by ShahulX; 01-27-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:24 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
There will be 2 Corvettes simultaneously for a while. The ME halo car to fight the FORD GT et. & an FE like C7 for the masses

Wrooong!

Moving forward, If you want a front engine sports car from GM, I hope you like Camaros...or ATS V coupe may also work for you...

Last edited by Paulchristian; 01-28-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian

Wrooong!

Moving forward, If you want a front engine sports car from GM, I hope you like Camaros...or ATS V coupe may also work for you...
Know or speculating?

Much evidence for 2 parallel years. Corvette needs to smooth the transition.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Know or speculating?

Much evidence for 2 parallel years. Corvette needs to smooth the transition.
Front engine will die with the C7. Also predict that C7 ZR1 sales will be terrible as people will hold on to their money for the mid engine car. If General Motors produces a lot of ZR1s, they will be sitting at dealer lots unsold.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:40 PM
elegant
Safety Car

ZR1 output is scheduled for less than 200 units/month (and some of those will be going offshore).

At the same time I know personally more than a few who are now getting a ZR1 and planning to get a first or second year ME (folks totally out of my financial world).

Last edited by elegant; 01-28-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:31 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Mine too... But I'll take their leftovers!

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-28-2018 at 08:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
bgspot (02-05-2018), Spasetrucker (01-28-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:41 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Front engine will die with the C7. Also predict that C7 ZR1 sales will be terrible as people will hold on to their money for the mid engine car. If General Motors produces a lot of ZR1s, they will be sitting at dealer lots unsold.
So no inside info; just speculation.

That’s OK; you’re just like the rest of us

Quick Reply: My C8 wishlist