Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the ME have a DCT

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 02:48 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
I also owned a Gallardo. The issues with the single
clutch are that first there is the issue of premature wear. I had to spend 6k for a new clutch in the Gallardo at 9k miles.
In addition it absolutely horrible in auto mode very clunky and unpleasant to drive in auto mode.

Then there is the delay from a dead stop while the clutch engaged. The hesitation drove me nuts.

Also having to baby the clutch to prevent premature wear. As you know that at a stop you either put the car in neutral by pulling both paddles back or if you stopped for more than 10 second with your foot on the brake the computer will out the car in neutral.
I was speaking the outright shift speed. In sport mode the shift speed of the Gallardo a first generation single clutch SMG is still good and probably withing 40-50 MS of a DCT. If the Aventador can shift basically as fast as a DCT with a single clutch it can be done without the whole DCT complexity.

The quirkiness of the e-gear is worked out with refinement. Mine went 24k miles on the original clutch and has 34k on the current later gen clutch that is supposed to last much longer than the original. I have driven M3s with SMG and yes it was worlds better in refinement than egear.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:26 PM
Steven Beaver
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 85 Posts

I went from an A8 GS to a PDK Porsche. There is no comparison. Whether city cruising or driving aggressively the PDK is faster, smoother and way more enjoyable. The C7 & C8 need a good DCT. Might make me switch back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steven Beaver:
gthal (11-17-2017), r00t61 (04-05-2019)
Old 11-15-2017, 07:39 PM
dexterkatt
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Gallardo Tranny

Originally Posted by rgregory
But I honestly don’t feel DCT is anymore than a paper bragging point. My Gallardo is just a single clutch and it shifts pretty fast and is fun. You are talking millisecond, maybe 0.04 seconds quicker to 60 with a DCT vs a single clutch (assuming 1 shift). I would prefer a good single clutch with good longevity to a complicated DCT.
You Gallardo does not have a automatic tranny. It is a computer assisted manual tranny. It has a regular clutch.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Jackie Chiles
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Questions for those who know:

Why wouldn't GM use a version of the A10 already used in the Camaro?

How does that A10 stack up against a proper DCT?

I haven't driven the A10 or any DCT for that matter, and my M2 has the manual, but I agree with one of the posters above that a racey auto trans could be tons of fun.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 AM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I hope that the magnetorheologic patents that GM holds for use in an automotive clutch are deployed on this car for drivers that don't want a stick shift.

The MR clutch has infinite adjustability and sub-second reaction times and 1 moving part....that doesn't wear out.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:16 AM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by dexterkatt
You Gallardo does not have a automatic tranny. It is a computer assisted manual tranny. It has a regular clutch.
Um when did I ever say it had an automatic? I know what kind of transmissions are in my cars.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles
Questions for those who know:

Why wouldn't GM use a version of the A10 already used in the Camaro?

How does that A10 stack up against a proper DCT?

I haven't driven the A10 or any DCT for that matter, and my M2 has the manual, but I agree with one of the posters above that a racey auto trans could be tons of fun.
There’s this guy Mike who has a YouTube page called StreetSpeed717, you may have heard of him or seen his crazy wrapped Corvettes. He has a Z06 with the automatic and his buddy who also has a YouTube channel owns a 10-Speed ZL1. Everyone who has been in both cars agrees that the 10-Speed is better in every aspect. The paddles are instant in response, you can barely feel the shifts, it is always in the power band, and it’s just smooth. Mike recently purchased a McLaren 570s, a car that comes with a biturbo v8 and a DCT. He says that the dual Clutch is leagues above his 8-Speed and that it shifts quicker than anything he’s ever been in. He also said that it’s smooth and feels far more refined than the torque converter autos and that it felt like a racecar, and that means a lot considering that his C7 Z06 is used for drag racing and has 800+lb ft of torque at the wheels. I have very little knowledge on the mechanics and design of a transmission, but could GM turn their 10-Speed into a DCT? That would be better than a Porsche PDK.

Last edited by Quinten33; 11-16-2017 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jackie Chiles (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 09:47 AM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by Quinten33
There’s this guy Mike who has a YouTube page called StreetSpeed717, you may have heard of him or seen his crazy wrapped Corvettes. He has a Z06 with the automatic and his buddy who also has a YouTube channel owns a 10-Speed ZL1. Everyone who has been in both cars agrees that the 10-Speed is better in every aspect. The paddles are instant in response, you can barely feel the shifts, it is always in the power band, and it’s just smooth. Mike recently purchased a McLaren 570s, a car that comes with a biturbo v8 and a DCT. He says that the dual Clutch is leagues above his 8-Speed and that it shifts quicker than anything he’s ever been in. He also said that it’s smooth and feels far more refined than the torque converter autos and that it felt like a racecar, and that means a lot considering that his C7 Z06 is used for drag racing and has 800+lb ft of torque at the wheels. I have very little knowledge on the mechanics and design of a transmission, but could GM turn their 10-Speed into a DCT? That would be better than a Porsche PDK.
If GM goes the DCT route their best bet would be to source a DTC from a manufacturer that already makes them, McLaren doesn't make their own transmissions.

I drove a 570s and loved it, the transmission is worlds ahead in refinement than my Gallardo. In general the 570 as a whole made my car feel old.
Jackie Chiles (11-16-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:45 PM
Drunkonunleaded
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

People seem to overlook that Tremec has had a DCT for years:

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/Literat...ansmission.pdf

I would suspect that this was meant for the C7 (Z06 perhaps?) but cut due to costs.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:34 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

outsource and run the latest audi/gallardo gear box

it's down to under 10k, and while that's more expensive that the gm crap, it's proven, and not that much

and retain the 6 spd with a ricardo box from the ford gt

get the numbers up and the cost will come down

gm doesn't need to make everything, they just need to find the best and integrate well
Old 11-21-2017, 12:36 PM
dznr723
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t care how they make it work. Like I posted above I agreed that GM would most likely go the route of a torque converter. I have a Gallardo and when they first came out owners were burning up clutches in 5k miles because they were driving them like automatics. GM would not want to deal with this.

Either way I thought in the article GM called it DCTC not just DCT they made a distinction.
Ferrari 488’s don’t seem to have these problems
Old 11-21-2017, 01:53 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by dznr723
I have a 458 Italia and it has a DCT. You are correct that it does not have the same issue as the Lamborghini Gallardo. The Lamborghini has a single clutch that is absolutely terrible. I also owned a Gallardo and had to replace the clutch at 9k miles. With the Lambo you have to be in neutral at every stop light. If you sit with car in 1st gear for more than 10 second the computer puts car in neutral to try and prevent clutch wear. Also due to the delay from a dead stop to clutch engagement the launch control is very hard on the drive train.

Lamborghini and Ferrari 430 were both using these automated computer controlled single clutch and old technology. That's way the 458 and 488 went to a true DCT.

The Lambo is horrible in auto mode and has very hard shifts in manual mode. Plus there is a significant delay from a dead stop from the time you take your foot off the brake and the clutch engages. This drove me nuts. A super car with a delay from a dead stop while you noticeable wait for the clutch to engage. You cannot just put the pedal to the floor from a dead stop you 1st have to wait for it to engage and do a small roll out before you can put the pedal to the floor. Otherwise it bangs the crap out of the drive train.

The 458 has none of these issue. It is very smooth in auto mode and no delay from a dead stop. Plus you can drive it like any other TC trans. The shifts are lighting fast both up and down from paddle pull to gear change. In fact there so quick I cannot perceive any delay at all. It seem instant. Now I know that it's does take milla second but it's so fast that a guy like me cannot tell it's not instant.

I also own a 2016 Callaway SC757 with A8. Love my Vett but the delay from paddle pull to upshot or down shift is very evident. Both the Lambo with the old single automated style trans and the Ferrari 458 DCT are night and day fasted than the A8 shift.

In fact I find it hard in manual shift mode that you have to make the upshift well before you get to 5700 rmp for the car to shift before it hits the Rev limiter due to the delay from pI'll to engage. Also make the shift light nothing more tHan a gimmic in the VETTE.. Just a horrible delay both up and down in manual mode. The Vett should have specific rmp which light up the shift lights so it's know to the driver. No where does GM give that information.

In the 458 1 light on at 5200 2nd at 6200 3 at 7200
4 at 8200 5th and final light 8950 rpm. When you pull the paddle at 8950rpm the shift is completed before you hit the 9200 rpm limiter
​​​​

I am as big as a Corvette fan boy as there is. The Callaway is number 12 for me. But folks that say the A8 is comparable to a PDK or DCT like in the 458 have never driving a well sorted DCT.

I will say that for just cruising around town that the Callaway with the A8 has a smoother and more comfortable shift than either the Lamborghini or the Ferrari. In fact it's great for just normal cruise around town or on the highway.

I wish GM would have made the performance shift mode in the A8 a feature that the drive could engage and disengage at will rather than let the car try to figure out the drivers intent and how he want the car to shift at any given moment.

That alone would be a big improvement over what it is now.

GM must go DCT as an option in the C8 if it wants to be taken seriously as a world class super car.

Make it a 10k option so those who want the performance of a DCT can have it I'd they want to pay for it and for those that don't then they can have a TC trans.

GM please give us options and jsu charge for it.

I would think that they make a A8 or a10 standard and if the customer want a manual transmission charge extra for it . Customer want a DCT charge extra for it.

Hopefully the upper range of the mid engine C8 will offer more bespoke options that should be available on car costing 150k plus.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 11-21-2017 at 02:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vetteman41960:
-vet (11-23-2017), JerriVette (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 02:29 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I agree offer a dct and let corvette buyers pay for it...offer the manual and call it day..I believe GM pays a million per drivetrain variant in government testing or so it's been said.

Just dump the torque converter transmission for the corvette.

Keep the torque converter automatic for the Cadillac version of the rear mid engine sports car....
Old 11-21-2017, 04:14 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by dznr723
Look at the miles Ferrari 488s get a year compared to the average Vette. If the other poster here that had a Gallardo and killed his clutch in 9k miles and I got 24k on the original and over 34k on the second and still going shows you that people can ruin an automated clutch at different rates. My concern for GM is more about automated clutch than DCT or a single clutch.

Get in an automated clutch and drive it like an automatic you can destroy it. Yes software is getting better but Ferrari drivers are not attempting brake stands nor are they creeping them along in rush hour traffic daily.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:21 PM
dznr723
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the miles Ferrari 488s get a year compared to the average Vette. If the other poster here that had a Gallardo and killed his clutch in 9k miles and I got 24k on the original and over 34k on the second and still going shows you that people can ruin an automated clutch at different rates. My concern for GM is more about automated clutch than DCT or a single clutch.

Get in an automated clutch and drive it like an automatic you can destroy it. Yes software is getting better but Ferrari drivers are not attempting brake stands nor are they creeping them along in rush hour traffic daily.
Yes, all true. I had a manual 430, then a 458 and now a 488. My mileage probably wasn't anywhere near what the Vette guys drive.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:47 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Introducing a new Corvette is a big deal to develop. I think after the A8, GM will want to go with a proven transmission. That means an A10. I'd be surprised if a DCT is used in the Vette at least initially. Now down the road, maybe, but I see an A10 being the transmission of choice the first year for the ME.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:36 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Porsches PdK is indestructible...even with thousands of launch control abuses..

If Porsche can do that. GM can as well.

What Ferrari dct or especially Lamborghini s single clutch can not withstand is relatively relevant to what Porsche or GM can accomplish with regards to daily driver reliability in a dual clutch transmission.

I'm not saying GM will or won't but using the Lamborghini single clutch automatied transmission as a basis of any logic tends to have its flaws.

Single clutch automated manuals were especially unreliable even for BMW.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the ME have a DCT

Old 11-22-2017, 04:27 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Here is the take away.

People who have not driven a PDK/DCT say the regular auto is good enough.

People who have driven a PDK/DCT know better. I doubt you take any of the naysayers and put them in a car with a good DCT/PDK and they come out of thinking the TC trans is good enough.

Nobody who has any interest in performance at all after driving both will say the TC trans is good enough.

The Lambo SCT is an Audi design I believe and was used in the first year or two of the R8 until they moved to a DCT since they shared a common platform.

The PDK/Audi DCT are pretty closely related especially in the lower powered cars.

The only thing I've driven even remotely close is the 9 speed mutli-clutch unit in the AMG cars. I only spent 30 minutes in the car and it was pretty close but without a lot of time not sure if its direct replacement. From my understanding is its a standard transmission and they replace the TC with a clutch pack which is not the same as a true DCT but I was pretty impressed by it.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-22-2017 at 04:28 PM.
ByByBMW (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 09:29 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by NoOne
Here is the take away.

People who have driven a PDK/DCT know better.
I learned this lesson almost 4 years ago when I drove my first Porsche. It had the PDK and it was a pure epiphany. Up until then there was no way I would own a sports/performance car that had an automated transmission.
If GM can come close to a Porsche PDK, I will be very tempted to switch back. Yes, I bought that Porsche.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:46 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by NoOne
Here is the take away.

People who have driven a PDK/DCT know better. I doubt you take any of the naysayers and put them in a car with a good DCT/PDK and they come out of thinking the TC trans is good enough.

Nobody who has any interest in performance at all after driving both will say the TC trans is good enough.

The Lambo SCT is an Audi design I believe and was used in the first year or two of the R8 until they moved to a DCT since they shared a common platform.

The PDK/Audi DCT are pretty closely related especially in the lower powered cars.

The only thing I've driven even remotely close is the 9 speed mutli-clutch unit in the AMG cars. I only spent 30 minutes in the car and it was pretty close but without a lot of time not sure if its direct replacement. From my understanding is its a standard transmission and they replace the TC with a clutch pack which is not the same as a true DCT but I was pretty impressed by it.
Mercedes converted their traditional torque converter automatic planetary gearbox with computer controlled clutches.

I drove a renntech Sl63 or 62 I don't remember which and it's MCT was excellent. I believe it was an advance,ent over the traditional torque converter transmission,

The dual clutches seemed to be a further advance as Mercedes has moved from planetary computer controlled gearboxes without a torque converters to a true dual clutch ..

Quick Reply: Will the ME have a DCT