Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the ME have a DCT

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4phr2q Single dry clutch disc. Smooth as can be, strong, light, dependable, long lasting and the least complex of all xmissions and much less complex than a DCT. This is just a highly refined version of a F1 gearbox or a C7R gearbox. Clutch will last just as long as the one in my 6 speed Vette on the left. I'll still take 3 pedals any day because autos will get really boring in a sports car after a while. Corvettes never give gearbox problems, that is 'till they stick one of those stupid DCT things in it.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

What does a DCT cost to repair or replace compared to a Corvette Manual or Auto? What about torque capacity for those that mod?

I understand that the primary driver of the lag in the Hydraulic planetary gear automatics is the time to build pressure. Maybe that can be solved with an accumulator. They other factor is smoothness of shifting.

In the highest horsepower classes of racing that use transmissions, they are planetary gear automatics, either hydraulically or air shifted. These are classes of racing where the differences in races are determined regularly by the thousandths of a second. Races where shift speeds matter. Of it is drag racing so, it is primarily upshifting. But that is also where the speed of gear changes is the most important in road racing as well.

I like manuals for sports cars, I drive sports cars to be engaged. I am not racing for money or even glory. I am driving for fun. Autos and DCT autos are for mindless driving or where racing where the mind needs one less thing to think about, as things are happening so fast. Than should not be occurring on public roads. On a track, maybe if you are not that accomplished or if you are so accomplished that you should be making your living from racing.

I wonder how many transmissions the high power modders are breaking in their Ferraris and Porsches?
Old 12-08-2017, 12:31 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
What does a DCT cost to repair or replace compared to a Corvette Manual or Auto? What about torque capacity for those that mod?

I understand that the primary driver of the lag in the Hydraulic planetary gear automatics is the time to build pressure. Maybe that can be solved with an accumulator. They other factor is smoothness of shifting.

In the highest horsepower classes of racing that use transmissions, they are planetary gear automatics, either hydraulically or air shifted. These are classes of racing where the differences in races are determined regularly by the thousandths of a second. Races where shift speeds matter. Of it is drag racing so, it is primarily upshifting. But that is also where the speed of gear changes is the most important in road racing as well.

I like manuals for sports cars, I drive sports cars to be engaged. I am not racing for money or even glory. I am driving for fun. Autos and DCT autos are for mindless driving or where racing where the mind needs one less thing to think about, as things are happening so fast. Than should not be occurring on public roads. On a track, maybe if you are not that accomplished or if you are so accomplished that you should be making your living from racing.

I wonder how many transmissions the high power modders are breaking in their Ferraris and Porsches?
I can only speak for myself but I think the percentage of folks that by exotic cars and mod them is practically none. Yes we may add wheels of other appearance items of a performance exhaust system but that's about it.

I did plenty of research efore I went and spent 275k on my Ferrari. There was not much I wanted to change . In fact other than paint correction and a clear wrap on entire car I have not made any changes. Car is great just the way it is.

I also love Corvettes. I wanted the best well sorted Corvette I could by without having to mod and ruin my warranty.

I accomplished this by ordering and buying a 2016 Callaway SC757. Modded with a full factory warranty for 3 year 36k miles and the car is great.

The only thing I would cage on the Callaway is the A8 trans. Wish it has a DCT.

Also the DCT in my Ferrari is a blast to drive. Cracks of lighting fast shift when want or is a great cruiser in auto mode.

Best trans in a sports car I have ever driven. Light years ahead of a manual or the A8 in the Callaway.

My point being very few folks buy a brand new car with the intent to do major performance mods outside those I listed above. No one want to void the warranty on a 110k Vette or a 275k Ferrari.

I know I don't that's why I buy what I want so I don't have to do performance mods beyond simple thing like wheel and exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 02:04 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
There are some dumb guys on this forum but you are the dumbest.
And you sir are the most narcissistic and arrogant douche bag on this site. Always have been; always will be.

Good day to you, it’s off to the ignore list you go and where frankly I should have consigned you to long ago.

Bish
Rapid Fred (12-11-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 02:38 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
I can only speak for myself but I think the percentage of folks that by exotic cars and mod them is practically none. Yes we may add wheels of other appearance items of a performance exhaust system but that's about it.

I did plenty of research efore I went and spent 275k on my Ferrari. There was not much I wanted to change . In fact other than paint correction and a clear wrap on entire car I have not made any changes. Car is great just the way it is.

I also love Corvettes. I wanted the best well sorted Corvette I could by without having to mod and ruin my warranty.

I accomplished this by ordering and buying a 2016 Callaway SC757. Modded with a full factory warranty for 3 year 36k miles and the car is great.

The only thing I would cage on the Callaway is the A8 trans. Wish it has a DCT.

Also the DCT in my Ferrari is a blast to drive. Cracks of lighting fast shift when want or is a great cruiser in auto mode.

Best trans in a sports car I have ever driven. Light years ahead of a manual or the A8 in the Callaway.

My point being very few folks buy a brand new car with the intent to do major performance mods outside those I listed above. No one want to void the warranty on a 110k Vette or a 275k Ferrari.

I know I don't that's why I buy what I want so I don't have to do performance mods beyond simple thing like wheel and exhaust.
The number of people who mod their Corvettes is extremely high.

The number who drag race their cars at the local track is also pretty good. None of these people are going to want high repair bills if a DCT can't hold up the same way an auto can. If it's bullet proof it won't be an issue but I'd picture hard track launches taking its toll on the clutches at least.
Shaka (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 02:56 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NY09C6

The number who drag race their cars at the local track is also pretty good. None of these people are going to want high repair bills if a DCT can't hold up the same way an auto can. If it's bullet proof it won't be an issue but I'd picture hard track launches taking its toll on the clutches at least.
I hate to disagree but your on a CORVETTE forum and I wiling to bet less than 10 % of all Corvette owners are Forum member and out of those 3 or 4k members maybe 10% of those do serious mods.

Most Corvettes never see a track or a drag strip.

90% are garage queens and see cars & coffee event far more than track their Corvette or Drag race them.

As far as true exotics they even more unlikely to see a road course race event or drag strip and again 98% are weekend cars and see cars and coffee events and never see a race track.

Go online and look to purchase any late model Ferrari. You be hard pressed to see any with over 20k miles and you will find hundreds with less than 10k. These are fair weather weekend toys for most of us.

My Callaway is 2 years old 4800 miles . My Ferrari is 2 years old 2900 miles.
Neither is a daily driver and are only used for weekend fun or a short weekend getaway with the Calaws due to its ability to carry more than a soft duffle bag of close for a weekend get away.

If your doing heavymods your one of a small percentage of Corvette late modle Corvette owners

And if your modding a exotic like a Ferrari or Lamborghini them you got more money to burn than an average guy like myself.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:12 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NY09C6

I hate to disagree but your on a CORVETTE forum and I wiling to bet less than 10 % of all Corvette owners are Forum member and out of those 3 or 4k members maybe 10% of those do serious mods.

90% are garage queens and see cars & coffee event far more than track their Corvette or Drag race them.

As far as true exotics they even more unlikely to see a road course race event or drag strip and again 98% are weekend cars and see cars and coffee events and never see a race track.

Go online and look to purchase any late model Ferrari. You be hard pressed to see any with over 20k miles and you will find hundreds with less than 10k. These are fair weather weekend toys for most of us.

Neither is a daily driver and are only used for weekend fun or a short weekend getaway with the Calaws due to its ability to carry more than a soft duffle bag of close for a weekend get away.

If your doing heavymods your one of a small percentage of Corvette late modle Corvette owners

And if your modding a exotic like a Ferrari or Lamborghini them you got more money to burn than an average guy like myself.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:12 PM
SSsedanM6
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

There are some dumb guys on this forum but you are the dumbest.
Originally Posted by thebishman
And you sir are the most narcissistic and arrogant douche bag on this site. Always have been; always will be.
I coundn't agree more.
The fact that Shaka is wrong about everything is even more pathetic.

Originally Posted by Racer X
DCT autos are for mindless driving or where racing where the mind needs one less thing to think about, as things are happening so fast.
I disagree.
Although I do love daily driving the revmatching stick and LT1 combination, nothing does multiple lighting fast downshifts like a proper DCT.
It's like the difference between a semi-atuomatic and a bolt action rifle.
No comparison.

Last edited by SSsedanM6; 12-08-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:24 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by SSsedanM6
I coundn't agree more.
The fact that Shaka is wrong about everything is even more pathetic.

I disagree.
Although I do love daily driving the revmatching stick and LT1 combination, nothing does multiple lighting fast downshifts like a proper DCT.
It's like the difference between a semi-automatic and a bolt action rifle.
No comparison.
It's interesting that a number of folks who I ignored during the time i spent on the C7 boards have made their way here. I am going to keep them on my ignore list.
As to your DCT comments, I whole heartedly agree.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:23 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960

Agree on the exotics. Very few mod them. But Corvettes are working class cars not exotics. Go to your local drag strip on a Friday night. Tons of corvettes making pass after pass weekend after weekend. If the new car is a DCT and needs a 5k clutch job every 100 drag launches it will be a bigger deal than the c7 z overheating issue.
Shaka (12-09-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 08:47 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=NY09C6;1596140259]Agree on the exotics. Very few mod them. But Corvettes are working class cars not exotics. Go to your local drag strip on a Friday night. Tons of corvettes making pass after pass weekend after weekend. If the new car is a DCT and needs a 5k clutch job every 100 drag launches it will be a bigger deal than the c7 z overheating issue.[/QUOTE

So you think 8 or 10 guys who take their Vett to the drag strip are a fair representation of the average Corvette Owner?

40k C7 sold annually out of those a handful of guys who drag race their late model Vett hardly would be a concern for GM.

​​​​​​You can use the performance start mode in my 458 all day and all night. Covered under the warranty. Same with the Porsche PDK use it all you want. Covered under warranty.

C7 performance start no different use it all you want covered under warranty.

Now the Nissan GTR voids the warranty If you use the performance start feature. Makes no sense to me why offer a feature you can not use.

Also go to the next cars and coffee event. I promise you will see 10 times the Corvette there and they never see a drag strip or road corse.

Perfect example is GM offer to pay all but 1 k for Corvette buyer to go to Spring Mountain Driving school and run Corvettes on a road course.

BTW I it's a great time if you have not done the class. Absolute blast. I highly recommend it to all Corvette owners.

Each week you may have a total of 40 Corvette owner there. That equals a couple thousand per year out of 40k sold. And GM picks up 3k of the cost and yet only a small percentage take the course.

I just don't see how you can quantifie a few guys at the drag stripe as a significant amount of the Corvette owners.

I am willing to bet that other forum members would agree with me. That guys who do serious mods on new Corvettes are extremely limited.

Factory Mods approved by GM with Callaway and Callaway might sell 200 per year. Insignificant compared to total Corvettes sold.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 12-08-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

Good day to you, it’s off to the ignore list you go and where frankly I should have consigned you to long ago.

Bish
Smart move, for a dumb guy.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Smart move, for a dumb guy.
Not to interfere with your battle of you has the biggest dick.

But come on guys why be an asset to each other?

Who cares what the reason is that DCT is a better transmission than a A8 with TC?

All that matters is that for Corvette to be world class it need a well sorted DCT. Period.

I don't know **** about which Trans has more shafts or clutches. I do know that I have a 458 with DCT and it's a great trans.

I have a Callaway sc757 A8 and it's OK for cruising around town but sucks in manual mode due to the delay from paddle pull to gear change.

We all on this forum because we love cars and Corvettes.

Enough of the personal name calling. No one is impressed because you understand how a DCT or TC transmission works. NO ONE CARES.

All anyone wants to know is a fair comparison between the 2. To give that you should have owned both a great DCT or PDK or an A8 so your comparison carry some weight.

I am amazed that guys who love cars will be such dicks just to prove they know technical details about a freaking component of our cars.

I for one don't care who is right or wrong.

I do care about other opinion on the quality differences and other opinions on what the best solution for the mid engine c8.

No one interested in this pis sing contest about who know more about a freaking transmission.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Just a post about how well the Porsche 911 held up to 50 back-to-back launch control starts with the PDK. This with a car producing 560 HP and 516 lb-ft of torque factory stock.

http://www.porscheboost.com/content....ty-to-the-test

If GM has something close to this, I am a buyer.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:27 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Just a post about how well the Porsche 911 held up to 50 back-to-back launch control starts with the PDK. This with a car producing 560 HP and 516 lb-ft of torque factory stock.

http://www.porscheboost.com/content....ty-to-the-test

If GM has something close to this, I am a buyer.
GM has the r1 producing 755 hp and 680 lb/ft of tq.

More importantly is how low in the rom range these powerplants generate massive amounts of tq.

I'm a huge fan of dct but it's important to remember GM s validation process of 300k miles to support GMs 100k mile drivetrain warranty..

Hopefully GM can create a dct that can withstand the massive hp and tq levels GM engines produce at low RPMs.

I want the driving characteristics of a dct or PDF like device.

But more importantly even as a sports car enthusiast I want the durability during ownership that GM has offered all of us.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:42 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SSsedanM6
Yup.
And, both transmissions are widely considered to be garbage. .

And, yes, it has everything to do with the fact that it's a single compared to dual clutches.
The poor programming only makes the bad situation worse.

The dual clutch transmission in the Huracan is a huge improvement over the old Lamborghini SMGs.
I really don’t get this. A DCT still has clutches and must be shifted. I drove M3s with Single clutch transmissions and it was very smooth and much more refined. The Gallardo you just have to know how much gas to give when stopped.

I have 58,000 miles on mine and even if it doesn’t drive like a Cadillac I love it. I got rid of the useless AWD system and the car takes off much better from a stop. It is a sports car not a luxury car I guess some of you really prefer luxury.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerriVette
GM has the r1 producing 755 hp and 680 lb/ft of tq.

More importantly is how low in the rom range these powerplants generate massive amounts of tq.

I'm a huge fan of dct but it's important to remember GM s validation process of 300k miles to support GMs 100k mile drivetrain warranty..

Hopefully GM can create a dct that can withstand the massive hp and tq levels GM engines produce at low RPMs.

I want the driving characteristics of a dct or PDF like device.

But more importantly even as a sports car enthusiast I want the durability during ownership that GM has offered all of us.
Uhm, according to this GM website, the current power train warranty for 2016 and newer vehicles is 5 years/ 60,000 miles, not 100,000 miles. Am I missing something?
http://www.gm.com/site-help/faqs.html
Same info here, http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty

Last edited by ByByBMW; 12-08-2017 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added info

Get notified of new replies

To Will the ME have a DCT

Old 12-08-2017, 11:21 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Uhm, according to this GM website, the current power train warranty for 2016 and newer vehicles is 5 years/ 60,000 miles, not 100,000 miles. Am I missing something?
http://www.gm.com/site-help/faqs.html
Same info here, http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty
I'm laughing now as i was typing that I knew someone would make that state,ent.

Sure the warranty changed but the expectations of consumers is we want durable components as GM has delivered ..

Only BMW owners allow inferior durability of powertrain components beyond 50k miles...lol

The reason leasing is so popular among German car owners is because out of warranty those cars maintaince and repairs can make grown men cry.

Thanks for updating us on the date of the change of GMs warranty. Of course the emepp extended warranty is inexpensive to add.

If i re,ember correctly I paid from a forum vendor less than 1600 dollars for an addition 4 year so and 48k extra miles of excellent coverage for my present corvette.

I love the looks, performance and inexpensive nature of the corvette ownership experience especially with regards to durability.

Sometimes I think I'll add a jaguar v8 f type but when talking to jaguar owners who used to own corvettes warn me off ...same for local Porsche owners as they talk about the cost of maintaince and repairs..

I fully expect my automobiles to start and run reliable. I have no patience for anything less...

If and when corvettes do need maintaince ..the cost is minimal.

That's a feature I require. Many of us corvette owners do as well.

Let the euro buyers get bent over...and over and over ...over time..

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-08-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:45 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I'm laughing now as i was typing that I knew someone would make that state,ent.
I was commenting on none of those other things. Those are for another post or thread. i only wanted clarification on the warranty. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:58 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Glad to help.

GM s warranty has changed over the past few years ..You have the details of the slight change. Still The durability requirements of GM products has brought to light the possibility of dct s not being up to GM durability standards for the c8 which is the topic of the thread.

I hope I'm wrong and GM can bring the dct into compliance for the rear mid engine c8.

I prefer the driver feel of the dct compared to traditional torque converter automatics so far.

I have test driven Mercedes renntech SL63 previous planetary computer controlled transmission without a torque converter and it was pretty good. I think we might be pleased with that type of transmission in the c8

Maybe GM will go that route for the c8. I believe it was a better driving experience than the previous torque converter AMG model..

I'm just throwing out potiential possibilities.....

Maybe a GM non torque converter planetary gearbox does have precedence at Mercedes..alThough Mercedes did move to a dct more recently...

They are massively powerful so if Mercedes could do it in it's AMG powerhouses...GM should be able to as well...

Being a devils advocate can be a bitch...

Bottom line I still we just don't know and probably won't for another year...

But we can hope

Strange that BMW went to a torque converter automatic in its new M5 is not a good sign.

Audi is as well.

Some say the additional number of gears available with torque converter planetary gearboxes is the reason...

Some have said 7 speed dcts are about it...while planetary gearboxes can go to ten speeds..

Will the GM planetary gearboxes in a corvette c8 need a torque converter? That might be a unique direction for the c8

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-09-2017 at 12:05 AM.
SSsedanM6 (12-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Will the ME have a DCT