Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the ME have a DCT

Old 12-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,373 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by RPatrick
People seem to overlook that Tremec has had a DCT for years:

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/Literat...ansmission.pdf

I would suspect that this was meant for the C7 (Z06 perhaps?) but cut due to costs.
That transmission does not meet the torque requirements of the high performance Corvettes. The top transmission is rated at 664 lb/ft the announced ZR1 is rated at 713 lb/ft. The projected engine is at 720 lb/ft. With a new design they could size the transmission space to fit this transmission if it had the torque rating.

What was available, at development time, that could handle the torque in the C7 did not fit the space.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
That transmission does not meet the torque requirements of the high performance Corvettes. The top transmission is rated at 664 lb/ft the announced ZR1 is rated at 713 lb/ft. The projected engine is at 720 lb/ft. With a new design they could size the transmission space to fit this transmission if it had the torque rating.

What was available, at development time, that could handle the torque in the C7 did not fit the space.
The 750 HP/715 lb-ft of torque LT5 in the ZR1 uses the same TR-6070 transmission(rated at 635 lb-ft for the transmission used in the C7 Z06) as does the current Z06 with 650 HP/650 lb-ft and the TR-6070 is not rated at 664 lb-ft, much less 715 lb-ft.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-01-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:22 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Of course it is possible to limit torque by engine manage,ent to keep the transmission together.

Still the 6 or 7 DCT s tested by GM from other manufacturers did not hold up under GM requirements for the 7 th gen.

I have my doubts that a very cool dct transmission can be offered by GM for the c8.

I wish GM would figure out a way to make the dct transmission to work in the c8 chassis.

I'd like that technology in my next corvette so I hope I'm wrong.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:59 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory
But I honestly don’t feel DCT is anymore than a paper bragging point. My Gallardo is just a single clutch and it shifts pretty fast and is fun. You are talking millisecond, maybe 0.04 seconds quicker to 60 with a DCT vs a single clutch (assuming 1 shift). I would prefer a good single clutch with good longevity to a complicated DCT.
You may be the first Gallardo owner to get more than fifty thousand miles out of the clutch. As you know, the Gallardo is a manual transmission shifted by automated solenoids- not really an automatic. Any lambo I've driven with over twenty-five thousand miles on it has not had a smooth, quarter second shift.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:02 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

The single clutch auto manual were notorious for wear. To extend mileage of clutch manually shifting helped extend mileage a little bit.

Replacement clutches were of different material.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:19 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The Tremec DCT TR-9007 is rated at 664 lb-ft of torque, so I'm assuming it could be used behind a 750 HP LT5, without breaking since the TR-6070 can, in a mid engine car and surely the TR-9007 DCT can be used behind either a 4.2L or a 5.5L V8 with much less than 715 lb-ft of torque in a mid engine Corvette.

I would question the use an out-of-the-box TR-9007 for the C8. It's essentially a 4-speed transmission with three overdrives, compared to the A10 which is a 7-speed with three overdrives under the same criteria. Not that the A10 should be used out-of-the-box either ..... but the Tremec is a step backwards considering some of GM's recent transmission performance criteria.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:29 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

It should be noted that both BMW and Audi are phasing out DCT's in their entire range and going to TC Autos. This was announced some time ago.
The upcoming M5 has a TC Auto as the first shot across the bow.
I have always been of the opinion that DCT's should be reserved for sports cars. I think TC autos make more sense on luxury/suv vehicles. 2017 saw 77% of Corvettes built with automatics.

All that said, I'll buy a 3 pedal Corvette as long as they offer one. I am afraid, however, that the sun is setting on 3 pedals.

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-04-2017 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaJack
You may be the first Gallardo owner to get more than fifty thousand miles out of the clutch. As you know, the Gallardo is a manual transmission shifted by automated solenoids- not really an automatic. Any lambo I've driven with over twenty-five thousand miles on it has not had a smooth, quarter second shift.
The refinement is not all there on the Gallardo but my point has been that they still shift pretty fast. This was only video could find of mine shifting probably a 1-2 shift would highlight it better.

Single or dual clutch the biggest wear issue is starting out from a dead stop. But software and clutch materials have improved. I drove a McLaren 570s and yes that car made mine feel old. Did it shift faster I am sure it did but is it perceivable that it was faster shifting ... not really.

Last edited by rgregory; 12-04-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:52 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimmyb
It should be noted that both BMW and Audi are phasing out DCT's in their entire range and going to TC Autos. This was announced some time ago.
The upcoming M5 has a TC Auto as the first shot across the bow.
I have always been of the opinion that DCT's should be reserved for sports cars. I think TC autos make more sense on luxury/suv vehicles. 2017 saw 77% of Corvettes built with automatics.

All that said, I'll buy a 3 pedal Corvette as long as they offer one. I am afraid, however, that the sun is setting on 3 pedals.
I can totally understand this. You can destroy an automated clutch if you drive like a dumbass and don’t realize what you are doing. This is my concern from GM too. If clutches last 50k in a exotic car no one complains, in a Vette it will be expected to last 100k miles or more.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Not so sure about that at least when it comes to Audi. The bigger cars yes like the A5 and up, but A3 and A4 still have DCT, and yes the TT and the R8 still have DCT and everything I have read says to expect that lineup for a while longer.
I do agree Audi is moving away from the DCT in SOME applicatins and according to them it's mostly a torque issue. While a DCT can be built to handle the torque, the newest TC trannies seem to provide an excellent drive and feel during the drive that Audi likes for their bigger cars. My A6 TDI has the 8-speed tiptronic which is a TC tranny and seems to fit the car very well.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 12-04-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:16 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

New BMW m5 review with torque converter automatic to replace dct and autocar says no big deal...?

Wasn't the m series supposed to be the ultimate driving machine?

Are torque converter automatics better than dct s according to BMW?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...m5-2018-review
Old 12-04-2017, 10:56 PM
SSsedanM6
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
New BMW m5 review with torque converter automatic to replace dct and autocar says no big deal...?

Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, Porsche.
Those are the benchmarks, and they all run DCT.
DCT is the standard for performance cars.

BMW has been a pathetic joke for a long time and is no longer a performance car brand.
Shaking my head that you even brought BMW up on this website.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:23 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

They are certainly better in regards to longevity and smoothness. As someone else posted these are the better trans for most cars. DSGs should be reserved for all out sports cars who are owned by enthusiasts willing to deal with their quirks and high maintenance costs.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

I agree with you guys that a dct would be preferred still there is a possibility the torque converter automatic advances have come so far in the latest iteration that even BMW M division has moved from dct s to planetary torque converter automatics...

I'm willing to keep an open mind as we get to see and hear road test reviews...

You never know..technological advances and evolutionary updates often times can possibly have created a dct equal ...
Old 12-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

The only way to go. Strong, light, fast changes, unbreakable, one clutch, just a couple of Honda and Yamaha patents to get round. Similar units can be found in F1, C7R and Lexus LFA cars.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:28 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 728 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
The only way to go. Strong, light, fast changes, unbreakable, one clutch, just a couple of Honda and Yamaha patents to get round. Similar units can be found in F1, C7R and Lexus LFA cars.

No one is going to put a single clutch automated 'manual' gearbox in a volume produced car. You're delusional.

Bish
Old 12-05-2017, 06:05 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by thebishman
No one is going to put a single clutch automated 'manual' gearbox in a volume produced car. You're delusional.

Bish
And why is that? Just because of marketing?

For all of you that wish for the car to be manual or paddle shift this is one way it can be possible. Same transmission utilized for either manual configuration or for automated clutch (single). Lambo and Ferrari all did away with the manual options once they went to DCT why?? Because A DCT transmission cannot be used in a manual setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the ME have a DCT

Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 728 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory
And why is that? Just because of marketing?

For all of you that wish for the car to be manual or paddle shift this is one way it can be possible. Same transmission utilized for either manual configuration or for automated clutch (single). Lambo and Ferrari all did away with the manual options once they went to DCT why?? Because A DCT transmission cannot be used in a manual setup.
Wrong. The Porsche PDK DCT and the M7 version are very similar by all accounts.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:39 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by thebishman
Wrong. The Porsche PDK DCT and the M7 version are very similar by all accounts.
Um are you missing the whole point of DCT? 2 input shafts so the next gear is always engaged, manuals are 1 Input shaft. Still many diffent parts.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:12 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Supposedly and I wish we could have a dct in the c8... the internals of the 7 different dct transmissions tested by GM for the c7 could not handle the massive low end torque of GMs ohv engines.

Today I would imagine limiting power in early gearing might resolve the issue of the dct breaking apart during GM testing...

Just not sure having to program down the power in the lower gears of a dct allowed for better acceleration compared to the planetary torque converter gearbox.

Don't shoot the messenger...

As I believe if the new E63 AMG can put down 600 hp and tq....through its dct..GM should be able to do the same..

Again it is interesting the BMW m5 released this week drives 600 hp through a torque converter automatic....remember the m5 is supposedly the "ultimate driving machine"

Zero to sixty in 3.1 seconds according to autocar....1 th of a second quicker than the Mercedes AMG e63 with a dct.

Latest and greatest supposedly is the m5 even with the fact it's got a torque converter automatic versus the dct of the Mercedes..

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-06-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will the ME have a DCT