C8 and the future of the Corvette - Page 10 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C8 General Discussion
The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 and the future of the Corvette

Old 01-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #181
JerriVette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
+1

I know that WE want to see the C8 revealed....but in the grand scheme of things, the introduction of a new Silverado is about 20 times MORE important to GM than the C8. We'll see the C8 a year from now at Detroit, everybody just CALM DOWN.

As far as Tesla....at some point they have to STOP overpromising and underdelivering. The Model 3 is WAY behind on customer deliveries, following the pattern that the S and X suffered. While Tesla is a darling of much of Wall Street, there are enough folks pointing to some very obvious problems with the company. Pointing to Wall Street as THE authority on Tesla's financial health is dangerous...don't forget this the SAME Wall Street that gave us November 2008.
Taking into consideration that tesla owns the customer dealer network whereas every other car brand sold in America sells their cars through a franchise I'm not quite sure why intelligent people don't understand that the investment cost would take longer to reap the rewards ..

Same goes for charging stations..

Traditional car brands do not own refueling stations.

The potiential for profit with those two different aspects of a "car" company would of course cause a longer period of time before profits can be realized.

The investment is huge ..the ROI of course would take longer ..

Just imagine for fun if GM didn't have franchised dealers who bare a tremendous cost to build, operate and inventory vehicles.

The benefit as many GM executives would tell you in private is that a company store would be able to exactly execute any marketing plan, give customers the exact customer experience the car manufacturer wanted in the purchasing and service aspect of owning the BRAND.

That has tremendous value even if the ROI takes longer because of the added cost.

Same for the refueling or charging network. The reality of this ROI is of course longer because of the added cost yet imagine this as if GM was in the oil business.

Eventually brands like Jaguar, etc could effectively negotiate a deal to allow their ev customers to utilize tesla supercharger network. The potiential for profit allowing other brands customers to use tesla s supercharger network and even possibly charging those owners to recharge in addition to the brands royalty payment..

The profits do look as if they could be astronomical for the so called losses inflicted at the start of this charging network...(that no other car brand presently has.

The first one in building a charging infrastructure network would create negative cash flow but the potiential as other car makers rush to market would offer future profits as opposed to losses.

Just some possible aspects of Teslas mentioned "Losses"

I'm not exactly a tesla fanboy but I do have a reservation as an addition to my corvette.

I think the model 3 will with awd be a nice vehicle for the family transport.

Relatively inexpensive, quick, roomy ,AWD and pretty good looking for a sedan.

Couple of hiccups rushing to fill 500,000 unexpected and unheard of preorders at the launch is nothing to worry about...

Jmo
JerriVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #182
NY09C6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Cars will be computer controlled econoboxes in 130 years and we'll just be passengers, all of them.
That's the real future of the Corvette.
Fixed it for you.
NY09C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #183
Spasetrucker
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
Taking into consideration that tesla owns the customer dealer network whereas every other car brand sold in America sells their cars through a franchise I'm not quite sure why intelligent people don't understand that the investment cost would take longer to reap the rewards ..

Same goes for charging stations..

Traditional car brands do not own refueling stations.

The potiential for profit with those two different aspects of a "car" company would of course cause a longer period of time before profits can be realized.

The investment is huge ..the ROI of course would take longer ..

Just imagine for fun if GM didn't have franchised dealers who bare a tremendous cost to build, operate and inventory vehicles.

The benefit as many GM executives would tell you in private is that a company store would be able to exactly execute any marketing plan, give customers the exact customer experience the car manufacturer wanted in the purchasing and service aspect of owning the BRAND.

That has tremendous value even if the ROI takes longer because of the added cost.

Same for the refueling or charging network. The reality of this ROI is of course longer because of the added cost yet imagine this as if GM was in the oil business.

Eventually brands like Jaguar, etc could effectively negotiate a deal to allow their ev customers to utilize tesla supercharger network. The potiential for profit allowing other brands customers to use tesla s supercharger network and even possibly charging those owners to recharge in addition to the brands royalty payment..

The profits do look as if they could be astronomical for the so called losses inflicted at the start of this charging network...(that no other car brand presently has.

The first one in building a charging infrastructure network would create negative cash flow but the potiential as other car makers rush to market would offer future profits as opposed to losses.

Just some possible aspects of Teslas mentioned "Losses"

I'm not exactly a tesla fanboy but I do have a reservation as an addition to my corvette.

I think the model 3 will with awd be a nice vehicle for the family transport.

Relatively inexpensive, quick, roomy ,AWD and pretty good looking for a sedan.

Couple of hiccups rushing to fill 500,000 unexpected and unheard of preorders at the launch is nothing to worry about...

Jmo

I am wondering how the charging issue is going to work. I have a second-floor apartment in an area that is just outside the city. No bus routes here. I know they don't want all of the residents here running extension cords across the grass to their vehicles.
Spasetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #184
F4 Phantom
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I'm 46 and have always loved combustion engines and frankly going fast.

If I somehow made my tricked out C6 my last sports car ever it would be for 2 reasons pretty much: Draconian traffic enforcement & Heavy traffic/ congestion.

If it were not for those 2 things I'd drive my Vette every day. As it is, it's an '08 with 22K miles total.

Maybe if I lived somewhere else, like Utah or something my perspective on these issues would be different.
I have the opposite perspective. My 14 C7 M7 vert has 66K on it and I live in suburban LA. My business takes me to jobs all over Southern California and beyond. I think I had my C7 for three days before I turned it into a work truck.
F4 Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • C8 and the future of the Corvette
  •