C8 and the future of the Corvette - Page 13 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 and the future of the Corvette

Old 04-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #241  
theplatinumog
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
2004 to 2013 is ten years and the age went up by 8 years(54 to 61) or 1.25 years of age for each year of the calendar.

2014 to 2017(which is the years I said) is four years and the age went up by 2 years(61 to 63) or 3.0 years of age for each year of the calendar.

By my math, the average age increase each year went from 1.25 years during the C6, to 1.33 years during the C7 so that would mean even more old farts vs youngsters are buying C7's each year, then during C6's rein.

4 years of calendar and 2 years of age difference is .5 age difference per year? Am I missing something? ...
theplatinumog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #242  
theplatinumog
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post

2014 to 2017(which is the years I said) is four years and the age went up by 2 years(61 to 63)
Thank you very much for citing the c6 years. Did you happen to find where you read that the average age went from 61 to 63 during the c7 reign?
Old 04-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #243  
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,035 Times in 762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatinumog View Post
Thank you very much for citing the c6 years. Did you happen to find where you read that the average age went from 61 to 63 during the c7 reign?
Nope. I have not been able to find it.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #244  
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,035 Times in 762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatinumog View Post
4 years of calendar and 2 years of age difference is .5 age difference per year? Am I missing something? ...
Nope. You are correct and so was my math wrong on the C6's . It should have been .7 age difference per year.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #245  
theplatinumog
CF Senior Member

And .5 is slower than .7, right? I am not trying to be a smart ***, genuinely asking if we are on the same page.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:07 AM   #246  
patentcad
CF Senior Member

I think it's quite arguable that once it becomes evident and demonstrable with mountains of historical data how much safer autonomous cars are than vehicles piloted by humans that another debate will emerge: Should human drivers be banned all together because they present a clear hazard to general safety.

Count on it. I'm 60, I'm glad I probably won't live to see that sad day. Actually, sometimes I fear that I might.
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:22 AM   #247  
theboom
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
I think it's quite arguable that once it becomes evident and demonstrable with mountains of historical data how much safer autonomous cars are than vehicles piloted by humans that another debate will emerge: Should human drivers be banned all together because they present a clear hazard to general safety.

Count on it. I'm 60, I'm glad I probably won't live to see that sad day. Actually, sometimes I fear that I might.
Not going to happen. It may very well be true that autonomous cars will eventually be much safer than human drivers (quite likely actually), but that will only be true when compared to the current un-augmented human drivers. Once autonomous safety features and crash avoidance gets more advanced an becomes standard on every vehicle, the gap between human drivers and self driving gets much smaller and makes the argument to completely ban humans driving very weak and it's not going to happen.

There was a study done that concluded that if every car on the road had level 2 autonomous tech (auto braking, lane keep, etc...), fatal crashed would decrease by 80%. That alone is closing the gap tremendously and that's not even considering the much better systems we will have in the future.

Banning old cars that don't have autonomous safety features built in or up fitted with them? Sure maybe. Banning all humans driving all together? Not happening.
theboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #248  
dcbingaman
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboom View Post
Not going to happen. It may very well be true that autonomous cars will eventually be much safer than human drivers (quite likely actually), but that will only be true when compared to the current un-augmented human drivers. Once autonomous safety features and crash avoidance gets more advanced an becomes standard on every vehicle, the gap between human drivers and self driving gets much smaller and makes the argument to completely ban humans driving very weak and it's not going to happen.

There was a study done that concluded that if every car on the road had level 2 autonomous tech (auto braking, lane keep, etc...), fatal crashed would decrease by 80%. That alone is closing the gap tremendously and that's not even considering the much better systems we will have in the future.

Banning old cars that don't have autonomous safety features built in or up fitted with them? Sure maybe. Banning all humans driving all together? Not happening.
:agree: I think TheBoom is spot on. The big factor that the "futurists" neglect is market acceptance, particularly in countries with a well-established "auto culture". See this bar chart that Statista just posted....more people in the UK, US and GDR say they will NEVER use a self-driving car than those who want one. In addition, every time a Tesla or other autonomous vehicle has an accident, the NEVER column GROWS. It may happen in India, but not in the US in any reader of this Forum's lifetime.

dcbingaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #249  
dcbingaman
CF Senior Member

Ok, let's try this again !

dcbingaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #250  
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,124 Times in 855 Posts

It would be nice to have optional self-driving cars.
Sadly, the tech isn't there yet.

It's almost impossible to program for the endless possibilities in a car driving environment.
Unlimited realities can't be shoehorned into a line of code.
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • C8 and the future of the Corvette
  •