Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 and the future of the Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:07 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I was speaking of 1948 dollars on a Tucker bribe back in 1948.
I know, clarifying a point that needs to be made in today's terms.

From what I can tell Tesla and electric car fans in general do not seem to be very well informed of the underlying reality.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Oh boy! There really must be a lot of fear and confusion in the Corvette world these days (or at least in this thread) to bring up Elon Musk...and the TESLA.

So fear not Corvette brethren.

Sales numbers at hand the brand is doing just fine and I truly believe the brand is expanding with a low cost ME addition to toss Caymans and Boxters back were they belong in euroland.

It is that simple and please don't disturb Musk since he is extremely busy trying to get out of the hole he has dug.. and I know one day there will be a movie about it. Stay tuned.

Cheers.

Last edited by Telepierre; 12-11-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:55 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
I am betting the C9 never happens - by 2030, all cars will be fully autonomous and non-self-driving cars will be banned from public roads.

Yes, now you mentioned it there was a spy photo at the same McDonalds 2 weeks after the c8s.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:52 AM
BillDurant
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Here to stay

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I don't believe the Corvette is going away, but it is going to change. We'll have to wait and see what happens when they roll out that ZR1, but it would appear to me that GM wants to make the Corvette a true supercar. In that, if it's going to increase in terms of power and all around performance, they will eventually have to go mid engine to make all that work. At that point, it is no longer going to be the mass produced performance bargain sports car that we have known it to be. While the price may stay well under the Euro cars that chase it around the track, it's still going to be out of reach of many that can buy a Corvette today. Not to mention losing the group of folks that prefer the front engine chassis.

Coming up on the Corvette's heals in this respect is the Camaro. The Camaro is no longer the young person's wanna be Vette. It has developed into a true sports car. The cost of that is it now being in a price point about where today's Corvette buyer will be looking when the Corvette migrates northward in the automotive market place. We also may very well see yet another two seat variant from Cadillac, something much more in the image and likeness of the Corvette, unlike the past attempt being the XLR.

GM is going to hold on to these v8 torque monsters as long as they can. They will be more expensive, and they will make less of them. In order to do that, it will be the daily drivers and fleet vehicles that get the electric motors and hybrid set ups to offset having these showroom magnets around. These cars mean a lot more to GM than just a big ticket item. The main job of a halo car is sell more Chevrolets. Combine that with having the ability to implement more cutting edge tech that will eventually find it's way into the mainstream cars.

The Corvette isn't going away, it's just moving to the next level, and the cars just under it, are moving up to fill the void.
I agree it's not going away. GM didn't do all this R&D on the C8 to have the line run for 2 years. And again compare the Corvettes to other 2 seaters, not 4 seaters, totally impractical but fun
Old 01-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Tsharpe27
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSsedanM6
With it's horrendous visibility, the Camaro isn't a replacement for any Corvette. I'd still rather drive my C5 or my C6 than a 2019 ZL1.
The Camaro's terrible visibility is unbearable and makes it a death trap. The Camaro needs to be resigned with decent visibility if it wants to attract any Corvette owners.
All the stats mean nothing if you can't see out of the clown car that current Camaro is.

I hope GM has some common sense and makes the mid-engine the only layout for Corvette, C8 and beyond, while maintaining the C7's base price.
If so, this proud C6 owner will be ordering another new Corvette at the C8 launch.

You are so right about the Camero. But, as the price of Corvettes go up,
the number of sales will go down. It is just a fact of economics. Also,
demographics certainly play a big role.

I love the Corvette, but the price of all cars each year exceed the increase in wages. So, you have a domino effect in what people can afford and will eventually buy. For instance, what is more important a house or a car?

My 2006 C6 was a bargain to me now, while at the time I thought it was very expensive and I had a pretty high household income.

I hope the Corvette keeps improving, but wonder what price is going to do
in determining sales.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:41 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobull
I agree with many of your points: however, I have to disagree on the
following points:
1. The science behind human accelerated climate change is pretty
concrete and can no longer be disputed.
2. It's true that the battery technology is "not there yet", but the gains
in energy density are exponential so the handwriting is on the wall.
For example, lithium air batteries are now being tested and developed
that give up to 1000 miles range and can be quick charged.
3. Elon Musk is a bit of an enigma to me. He is a great promoter and
visionary, but I would not call him a con man. His company may not
survive in the long run, but he has certainly contributed to a
technology revolution. Tucker only made approximately 5 cars:
Musk has done much better than that---50,000 to date; I would not
write him off yet.
1. but the fact that more than 1 other planet in the solar system is ALSO experiencing climate change might throw a curve in that "science" and surprise a lot of people. earthbound suvs do NOT cause melting polar ice caps on mars! russian scientists are well aware of this fact but are not restrained by planetary big money controllers who want to add all the control crap that they can conjure up because it adds more expense to everything and, the more money people must spend, the more of it the monetary controllers can put in their coffers.

2. and lithium batteries don't catch on fire!

3. it's possible that musk is "aided" in his endeavors. i see a man who is under a lot of pressure and stress, but i think he has a lot of good in him as well.

Last edited by senah; 01-07-2018 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (01-08-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 01:57 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by lostsoul
Yes, now you mentioned it there was a spy photo at the same McDonalds 2 weeks after the c8s.

LOL.
I can't remember which movie this is from...

EDIT: It's from Woody Allen's 1973 classic Sleeper.

Last edited by sunsalem; 01-07-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:39 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronstar
Corvette isn't going anywhere. 40,000 units sold in 2016 times $50,000
( a low estimate)each is 2 BILLION f***ing dollars!!! I'm sure the average price was much higher than 50 grand but just to give you an idea. Add together all years of 7th generation production I'm confident they paid for their tooling,development and make a boat load of profit.
I agree with Ron. The Corvette is in a completely different market than the ME cars the C8 will compete with. Let me show you knuckleheads some real math on "recurring costs" vs. "amoritization of non-recurring costs". I'll keep the math simple for the non-engineers and non-business majors, (you know who you are). The C7 reportedly cost GM $250M to develop and retool. The model will run for 6 years and sell about 30,000 units per year. The amortization of the development costs is then $250M/ (6*30,000)~$1500.00 per car to pay for development. The recurring cost can be debated, but I'd be surprised if it costs GM more than $50k per unit, (on average). Figure a 20% margin and your talking an average dealer cost of ($50000+$1500)*1.2~$62,000. Sound familiar ?

Now let's look at the Ferrari 458. Let's assume it costs twice as much as the C7 to develop at $500M. Let's further assume it's recurring cost is 100% greater than the C7 at $100k. The 458 ran for about six years (2009 to 2015) and sold about 3000 units a year. Amortization costs are $500M/(6*3000)~$28,000 per unit. Dealer cost then is a minimum of ($100,000+$28,000)*1.2~$155,000K. With markups, etc., you can see how the retail MSRP can easily exceed $200K. Ferrari is a money-maker even selling 7000 units a year (total) because, well, its FERRARI. Nobody else in this business has sustained that level of profitability for decades as well as they have at their small size.

Let's now look at the C8. Assume as Tadge has said that development to mass produce an ME car is more expensive than a "bespoke" car like a Ferrari 458. Let's say $1B even. Let's further assume than the unit recurring costs are 30% greater than the C7 at $65000. Assuming a six-year production run of 30,000 units per year, GM costs are $1B/(6*30000)+$65000~$71,000. Again assume a margin of 20% and dealer cost is ~$85000. A little high for many C7 owners, BUT these are very conservative assumptions. I would expect that it will actuallly be $15-20K lower than this.

Bottom line is that GM can and will deliver a high performance ME car for ONE HALF the cost of its competitors because of their size and their decision to build a dedicated sports car factory inBowling Green that is highly automated. Almost everybody on this forum assumes that the product, in this case an ME sports car defines the cost. As an engineer in the aircraft business, I can tell you that the organization, the process use to develop and produce the product, and the number of units sold are much more important drivers of costs than product attributes.
The following 6 users liked this post by dcbingaman:
Larshelt (01-08-2018), msm859 (01-08-2018), Nobull (01-08-2018), PurpleLion (01-07-2018), RoketRdr (03-24-2018), XC6VETTE (01-08-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2018, 09:37 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Thank you, sir.
As a "business major," I appreciate your effort to put some meat on the bones of this discussion.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:50 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Thank you, sir.
As a "business major," I appreciate your effort to put some meat on the bones of this discussion.
Sunsalem, you are welcome ! Think what a lot of people miss in these discussions is both the importance of the business case and market expectations. These are what has driven the decision to go ME in the C8. Implicit in that decision, at least IMHO, is a price that doesn't drive more than a fraction of the Corvette buyer base away.

What many fail to appreciate is how bold this move is for GM and how very good they have become since 2008 in leaning out their company and in value engineering. That is what a "near death" experience does for a corporate culture. The C7 shows that they are REALLY good at it, and I would expect that the C8 will show they are world class. That, as a C7 owner is my hope and expectation.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

following points:
Me and Burt Rutan dispute this communist nonsense. Watch the moderator delete my post but leave NoBull's. Copy this while you can.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
I agree with Ron. The Corvette is in a completely different market than the ME cars the C8 will compete with. Let me show you knuckleheads some real math on "recurring costs" vs. "amoritization of non-recurring costs". I'll keep the math simple for the non-engineers and non-business majors, (you know who you are). The C7 reportedly cost GM $250M to develop and retool. The model will run for 6 years and sell about 30,000 units per year. The amortization of the development costs is then $250M/ (6*30,000)~$1500.00 per car to pay for development. The recurring cost can be debated, but I'd be surprised if it costs GM more than $50k per unit, (on average). Figure a 20% margin and your talking an average dealer cost of ($50000+$1500)*1.2~$62,000. Sound familiar ?

Now let's look at the Ferrari 458. Let's assume it costs twice as much as the C7 to develop at $500M. Let's further assume it's recurring cost is 100% greater than the C7 at $100k. The 458 ran for about six years (2009 to 2015) and sold about 3000 units a year. Amortization costs are $500M/(6*3000)~$28,000 per unit. Dealer cost then is a minimum of ($100,000+$28,000)*1.2~$155,000K. With markups, etc., you can see how the retail MSRP can easily exceed $200K. Ferrari is a money-maker even selling 7000 units a year (total) because, well, its FERRARI. Nobody else in this business has sustained that level of profitability for decades as well as they have at their small size.

Let's now look at the C8. Assume as Tadge has said that development to mass produce an ME car is more expensive than a "bespoke" car like a Ferrari 458. Let's say $1B even. Let's further assume than the unit recurring costs are 30% greater than the C7 at $65000. Assuming a six-year production run of 30,000 units per year, GM costs are $1B/(6*30000)+$65000~$71,000. Again assume a margin of 20% and dealer cost is ~$85000. A little high for many C7 owners, BUT these are very conservative assumptions. I would expect that it will actuallly be $15-20K lower than this.

Bottom line is that GM can and will deliver a high performance ME car for ONE HALF the cost of its competitors because of their size and their decision to build a dedicated sports car factory inBowling Green that is highly automated. Almost everybody on this forum assumes that the product, in this case an ME sports car defines the cost. As an engineer in the aircraft business, I can tell you that the organization, the process use to develop and produce the product, and the number of units sold are much more important drivers of costs than product attributes.
Nice analysis anybody can understand. I too live in the world of analyzing business opportunities -- and I work hard to get clients to always consider "distinctively different" alternative strategies. Just for fun...I won't run the numbers here but I wonder if they are also considering a strategy of seeking a higher margin (say 30%) on a lower volume of C8's while using fully amortized tooling and development costs to enable the parallel run of C7's at lower prices -- which would still be very profitable. This case would be premised on maybe 40K or more combined units per year with only a bit of overlap between the C7 and C8 pricing. Similar to Porsche and the 718-911. Engine forecast numbers would seem to be consistent with this strategy for the next 3 model years. This would certainly enable GM to "spread the risk" if the ME C8 is not as well received as most of us expect it to be.

I think the biggest risk there for GM would be alienating current C7 owners (many of whom are probably expected to be next in line for C8's) -- I bet at this point GM could make a business case for a slightly decontented and "refreshed" C7 starting just below $45K. However, that price-point would surely not be well-received by folks who just paid between $55K and $70K for their "base" C7's...but it could sell a ton more of C7's. (Might also risk some Camaro cannibalization? That would not be good)

Just fun stuff to bat around while staying in from the cold.

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 01-08-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:22 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Not in the car biz but I believe in perceived value.

My "outsider" observation is that Corvette can not and should not be the every-mans sports car...not at this point. Maybe in the '50s-'60s, Corvette was in the same ball park as other great American sports-cars, pony cars etc. and more equally "attainable". Somewhere along the line I Corvette stepped out and above/beyond the competition. Performance went up as did the pricing and value and status...which then placed the Corvette on bedroom walls as a dream car...for the future. Still attainable, but we'd have to work for it.

This balance is critical. To maintain the feel of "exclusivity" and still sell enough to be profitable. I feel that once the dream is attained, I don't think Corvette owners want to see one on every block. They want to feel special. Same feeling that drive custom cars and Hot-Rod lovers.

This is why I think the model GM has used works. A "low/reasonable" cost entry level driver...and then several levels of up-performance to address personal needs and desires.

I think the ME will offer the same entry level "Sports-Car" and 4 or 5 levels up will be a world class "SuperCar" with potentially different skins.

BTW, Do we know anything about the manufacture of the body panels? Will it still be FG? Maybe they should go back and use the old soy based molded panels? If they can't use all CF. That stuff was tough...

Just my thinking... again... not in the biz...just feelings.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-08-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Nice analysis anybody can understand. I too live in the world of analyzing business opportunities -- and I work hard to get clients to always consider "distinctively different" alternative strategies. Just for fun...I won't run the numbers here but I wonder if they are also considering a strategy of seeking a higher margin (say 30%) on a lower volume of C8's while using fully amortized tooling and development costs to enable the parallel run of C7's at lower prices -- which would still be very profitable. This case would be premised on maybe 40K or more combined units per year with only a bit of overlap between the C7 and C8 pricing. Similar to Porsche and the 718-911. Engine forecast numbers would seem to be consistent with this strategy for the next 3 model years. This would certainly enable GM to "spread the risk" if the ME C8 is not as well received as most of us expect it to be.

I think the biggest risk there for GM would be alienating current C7 owners (many of whom are probably expected to be next in line for C8's) -- I bet at this point GM could make a business case for a slightly decontented and "refreshed" C7 starting just below $45K. However, that price-point would surely not be well-received by folks who just paid between $55K and $70K for their "base" C7's...but it could sell a ton more of C7's. (Might also risk some Camaro cannibalization? That would not be good)

Just fun stuff to bat around while staying in from the cold.
That's where the Cadillac ME comes in. Vette sales are still good despite its well publicised problems. Caddy is slowly regaining it's long lost reputation for excellence but no where near Lexus.
The Caddy version won't have as many track days but success at the race track of the future LMP car may support such a low volume high end product in the $200g plus price range. Front engine Vettes will stay alongside mid engine cars for the unseen future. Push rod versions of the two platforms will be the volume sales. I pray that manuals will stay in both also. All very expensive manual 2017 Porsche GT3 6 speeds were pre sold and Porsche is bringing out a 928 replacement. Ferrari has both cars and Lamborghini is building a front engine car.
I only hope GM pushes the envelope on design.

It's a courageous move for GM and I wish them well.

Last edited by Shaka; 01-08-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:53 AM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Sunsalem, you are welcome ! Think what a lot of people miss in these discussions is both the importance of the business case and market expectations. These are what has driven the decision to go ME in the C8. Implicit in that decision, at least IMHO, is a price that doesn't drive more than a fraction of the Corvette buyer base away.

What many fail to appreciate is how bold this move is for GM and how very good they have become since 2008 in leaning out their company and in value engineering. That is what a "near death" experience does for a corporate culture. The C7 shows that they are REALLY good at it, and I would expect that the C8 will show they are world class. That, as a C7 owner is my hope and expectation.
Couldn’t agree more....bought some GM stock last week.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

following points:
2. It's true that the battery technology is "not there yet", but the gains
in energy density are exponential so the handwriting is on the wall.
For example, lithium air batteries are now being tested and developed
that give up to 1000 miles range and can be quick charged.
3. Elon Musk is a bit of an enigma to me. He is a great promoter and
visionary, but I would not call him a con man. His company may not
survive in the long run, but he has certainly contributed to a
technology revolution. Tucker only made approximately 5 cars:
Musk has done much better than that---50,000 to date; I would not
write him off yet.
Please avoid posting politically correct nonsense here. Obama's pronouncement of man-caused climate change "settled science" is utterly ridiculous and shows contempt of the actual scientific process.

Any human with half a brain can see that the Earth's climate has changed every year of its 4 billion year history. Of course there is "climate change". It's the "human caused" bit that is arrogant and far from proven.

It's also the quite obvious non-scientific shift from "global warming" to "climate change" that illustrates the rudderless lack of science being employed. It is indicative of what politicians do, not what scientists do. Which is the genesis of this nonsense.
The following 2 users liked this post by Speednet:
RoketRdr (03-24-2018), Shaka (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 01:10 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
I really don't want to make this a debate about "climate change" but I would ask you to look into the absolutely ridiculous solutions politicians come up with that will cost you trillions in increased taxes, drive jobs and manufacturing out of the country for promises of tenths of degrees differences in global temperatures over many decades. You really think countries like China, Mexico, India etc etc, are going to create mass unemployment and even more poverty and political unrest to comply with environmental regulations that serve some unrealistic utopian view of the future?

Get notified of new replies

To C8 and the future of the Corvette

Old 01-08-2018, 01:30 PM
SFCA1968
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think NOBull has inhaled too much tree smoke and also understand he is from the land of fruits, nuts and Nancy. The Corvette might go away in Cali but it will just evolve as someone else said. The Corvette is a way of life for many of us not just a "cool trendy vehicle" I had my first in high school in '68 and the Vette fire still burns in my heart as I drive my C7. Long live the Vette!!!!!!!!!
and lets let CA become its own country and build a wall lol

Last edited by SFCA1968; 01-08-2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-08-2018, 02:46 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

The climate change they were truly referring to was Political Climate.

If the issue were truly environmental alone, a better strategy would be to bring back the weeping Indian to help guide or guilt the world into striving for clean(r) water and air. To me, pollution control is more needed and attainable than wide spread "clean" energy for the near future...sure, it is inevitable and needed and will be welcome, but you can't do it over night. I think they started in the right direction decades ago and lost the will or demand somewhere along the way, probibly when they "found" more-cheaper oil.

We must invest and encourage new forms of energy, but this is done best by consumer demand rather than GOV mandate simply because of the political component.

Exciting breakthroughs in energy are very close. Glass batteries and molten salt reactors which may make nuclear energy much safer and cleaner and hydrogen potential.

The future is bright... if we can make it there...

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-08-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:05 PM
yz250fPilot
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 251 Posts

1. The science behind human accelerated climate change is pretty concrete and can no longer be disputed
There is NO scientific proof of this claim anywhere!

Your statement is nothing but a FAKE POST!

Quick Reply: C8 and the future of the Corvette