Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 and the future of the Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 11:10 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

It is not possible to separate politics from any talk about electric cars in their current state in the market place. Their existence as we know it relies on government handouts which are driven by politics and not science.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Geoffrey Card
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Default C8 launch?

Apart from trucks, GM are getting very little coverage at the Detroit Show. Where is the mid engined C8 launch? Big mistake and the loss of a lot of press coverage. Suppose we will have to wait for Geneva in March.Gm could have had a double launch at both Detroit and Geneva.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:23 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
I look at it this way, my, or anyone else's poltics on the issue, don't matter. Electric cars are coming. And not just some of them, all of them. Almost every car manufacturer now has an EV option. Volvo has stated that in the very near future all of their cars will at least be hybrids. Very few people are clamoring for natural gas, hydrogen, etc. Electric cars are coming every model, in every line. The only question is how long will it take. There's no use debating liking it or hating it or prudence. The only thing stopping it from taking over the market right now is recharge time. Once you cut recharge time or battery swap down to about 10 minutes, its game over forever for gasoline engines. It doesn't matter whether I, you, or anyone loves that or hates it, it just is.

Have you looked into the electric power generation that would be required to charge all these cars should that happen, I'm sure you have not. California for example can barely keep up with existing needs and is actually falling behind on their power generation, they would have millions of cars added to that.

There are so many issues here that are not being discussed truthfully by people that are supposed to be taking this stuff seriously and it's just not happening. What we get are brainwashed people who bought into the scare on an emotional level and will swallow anything in the name of combating so called man made climate change.

I don't know what's coming but taking this as a viable alternative at this point is beyond wishful thinking.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:17 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

EV’s are just glorified golf carts. I play a lot of golf and many times ride in carts. Most golfers know that these EV powered carts do not maintain consistent performance over the life of the charge. This will not change with the introduction of EV autos to our roads. Also, these ehicle batteries will add a couple of thousand pounds to the weight of a car and about 11 tons to the weight of an 18 wheeler truck! All this additional vehicle weight will quickly degrade transportation infrastructure nation-wide. Infrastructure is very expenses and our country’s infrastructure is falling apart now. In addition, heavier vehicles require much greater distances to slow down and stop. So now you also have to consider the safety aspect of all these vehicles driving around at 80 MPH. EV proponents never talk about these trade offs. Who is going to pick up this added cost for roads and bridges?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:02 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
Excuse me, aren't you the one calling people "knuckle daggers" and other assorted insults that didn't agree with your climate change politics in another thread in the C8 forum. You were and now you have the nerve to call people out?

Get real!
Please post a link for us where I said "knuckle daggers."

Originally Posted by car junkie
It is not possible to separate politics from any talk about electric cars in their current state in the market place. Their existence as we know it relies on government handouts which are driven by politics and not science.
Uhhhh, believe it or not, SOME people actually buy EVs for the sake of reducing their fuel costs and/or for reducing their tailpipe emissions.
Amazing, isn't it?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:11 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Ev s with active thermal management do not degrade like ev s without active thermal manage,ent.

Learn that , let that statement sink in and you will gain a new appreciation of ev s and the driving dynamics of instant torque.

Tesla, jaguars I pace..and you ll see the future of sedans and cuv s.

Sports cars will hang on to internal combustion engines for a longer period of time.

I'm not a fan of hybrids but rather one of the other..

Two powertrain hybrids are not a favorite of mine now that battery's can now take a vehicleover 300 miles per charge and that an 80 percent recharge only takes a half an hour.

When most people drive 300 miles...taking a half an hour break or more is totally normal.

Tesla s ride and handling not to mention interior room and insane acceleration made ev s relevant..

Add in 1/2 hour 80 percent battery range capability and their is no reason for a internal combustion engine.

Btw the 80 percent recharge that takes 1/2 an hour costs less than 13 dollars..at tesla s supercharger.ll

That's impressive
Old 01-17-2018, 11:08 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Originally Posted by sunsalem

Uhhhh, believe it or not, SOME people actually buy EVs for the sake of reducing their fuel costs and/or for reducing their tailpipe emissions.
Amazing, isn't it?

Considering the extra cost for an EV, 20k more on average for a similar car. Do they really buy them for fuel savings or something else? 20 thousand dollars can buy a lot of gas! and then of course we have electric power plant emissions.

Without the subsidies, we have no idea how many would sell but it would obviously be much less. Most agree Tesla would have already gone bankrupt.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 01:07 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Tesla s ride and handling not to mention interior room and insane acceleration made ev s relevant..
As Mark Reuss and Mary Barra have both said - GM could make the worlds best electric car if they could adopt Tesla's business model: build a really fine car that costs you 20% more money than you sell it for after government subsidies and not go out of business.
Imagine how happy we would all be to buy a Z06/Z07 for $45,000? But, other than Tesla, every other car company can't sell cars at a financial loss.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey Card
Apart from trucks, GM are getting very little coverage at the Detroit Show. Where is the mid engined C8 launch? Big mistake and the loss of a lot of press coverage. Suppose we will have to wait for Geneva in March.Gm could have had a double launch at both Detroit and Geneva.
Coverage aside, considering GM's R&D time frame for the (not on the salesroom floor yet) ZR1, were you really expecting a C8 reveal? WAY too soon...or should I say "premature" for that.

Plus if I recall, prior to the C7 reveal, GM made an official announcement to the media a couple of months beforehand. I suspect history will repeat itself in that regard.

Last edited by Judgment Day; 01-17-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Replaced a word. Corvette Forum almost crashed as a result.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:29 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

+1

I know that WE want to see the C8 revealed....but in the grand scheme of things, the introduction of a new Silverado is about 20 times MORE important to GM than the C8. We'll see the C8 a year from now at Detroit, everybody just CALM DOWN.

As far as Tesla....at some point they have to STOP overpromising and underdelivering. The Model 3 is WAY behind on customer deliveries, following the pattern that the S and X suffered. While Tesla is a darling of much of Wall Street, there are enough folks pointing to some very obvious problems with the company. Pointing to Wall Street as THE authority on Tesla's financial health is dangerous...don't forget this the SAME Wall Street that gave us November 2008.

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-17-2018 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Judgment Day (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:40 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
As Mark Reuss and Mary Barra have both said - GM could make the worlds best electric car if they could adopt Tesla's business model: build a really fine car that costs you 20% more money than you sell it for after government subsidies and not go out of business.
Imagine how happy we would all be to buy a Z06/Z07 for $45,000? But, other than Tesla, every other car company can't sell cars at a financial loss.
Well as long as Mary Barra and Mark Ruess of GM have supposedly said what you mentioned...

The tesla company owns the dealer network and the refueling capability stations...which long term should show greater benefits than GM who contracts franchises...and the vehicles are refueled by oil companies,..

I'm not sure I agree with assessment..but I do respect you.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:59 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Fact: Tesla is continuing to spend way more annually than it makes. How long can that cash/borrow burn rate can continue?

We have all seen repeated Bob Lutz statements that Tesla can not sustain its negative business plan. He is not alone in that prognostication.

And as always, time will tell...
Old 01-17-2018, 04:59 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Judgment Day
Coverage aside, considering GM's R&D time frame for the (not on the salesroom floor yet) ZR1, were you really expecting a C8 reveal? WAY too soon...or should I say "premature" for that.
The ZR1 is a silly car that has nothing to do with the C8 - totally different customers, etc. If GM postponed the C8 because of the ZR1, shame on them.

Last edited by PurpleLion; 01-17-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:28 PM
elegant
Safety Car

The ME C8 has not been postponed. It is being revealed next January and customer cars will be arriving into their hands sometime next summer.

Conversely/ironically, the ZR1 was supposed to be revealed a fair amount of time before it was, i.e., it’s reveal was postponed due to development refinements.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:41 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
The ZR1 is a silly car that has nothing to do with the C8 - totally different customers, etc. If GM postponed the C8 because of the ZR1, shame on them.
Postponed from what? Despite all of the spyshots, specs, and other allusions, GM hasn't announced or advertised anything to dictate a timetable of a new generation vehicle or even a concept car at the Detroit Auto Show. Unless I missed something, there's no schedule to postpone (sans internally) because we don't even know what the schedule is. I'd at least let people know the vehicle is forthcoming in a prepared statement, which didn't happen.

The way I saw it, if the C8 is on the horizon, GM will let us know. They didn't so...no reveal at the NAIAS. By November 2017, people should've had the mind set to "wait another year" for a "possible" reveal. It's as simple as that.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:18 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Please post a link for us where I said "knuckle daggers."
I did reply to this without a personal comment from me, but instead copy and pasted the offending comments and it was taken down.

Here's the link minus the comments, hope it meets the accepted level of commentary of the moderator here. He did ask for proof and I don't want to be accused of false accusations.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595617718
Old 01-18-2018, 05:08 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
The ME C8 has not been postponed. It is being revealed next January and customer cars will be arriving into their hands sometime next summer.

Conversely/ironically, the ZR1 was supposed to be revealed a fair amount of time before it was, i.e., it’s reveal was postponed due to development refinements.
By postponed, I am not referring to publicly scheduled events, I am instead referring to GM's internally scheduled time frames. So, when you say that the C8 has not been postponed, are you saying that GM never had any internal intention of releasing the car in 2018? And you know this how?

Get notified of new replies

To C8 and the future of the Corvette

Old 01-18-2018, 08:45 PM
elegant
Safety Car

GM initially had planned (prior to bankruptcy) to release the ME as the C7. But you are not asking about that, but about the 2020 C8 ME development process/release.

As to answering your specific question, I have not seen GM’s internal documents regarding the ME’s testing, development and customer-release timing.

However, indisputable is that there is still lots of development work going on with the ME. For example, did you see just three weeks ago, the 18 pictures of the ME at Kapuskasing (GM’s winter testing facility located 550 miles north of Toronto) Bottom line is that the ME is no where yet ready for being released, for GM knows that they can not bring it out without being fully sorted out.

Bottom line is that GM is still calibrating, tuning, testing/revising aero and other ME parts to insure that after this 2018 entire year’s testing, it will be revealed in January, 2019 @ NAIAS. And even after that, it will still undergo during the beginning of 2019, months of both track and field testing by the Corvette team members, so that when the ME becomes customer available in the summer of 2019, it is fully ready.
The following 3 users liked this post by elegant:
JerriVette (01-19-2018), Larshelt (01-18-2018), XC6VETTE (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:01 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Bottom line is that GM is still calibrating, tuning, testing/revising aero and other ME parts to insure that after this 2018 entire year’s testing, it will be revealed in January, 2019 @ NAIAS.
Apparently GM broke this mold last year. Why wouldn’t GM introduce the C8 in Dubai (Dec ‘18) like they just did for the ZR1 in Dec ‘17? Is the NAIAS still the premier global auto show or has it not lost some of it’s global luster recently?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:17 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Cars will be computer controlled econoboxes in 30 years and we'll just be passengers, all of them.
That's the real future of the Corvette.

Quick Reply: C8 and the future of the Corvette