Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 and the future of the Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 09:24 AM
ironman77
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The c7 is the golden age for vette, the c8 will be what is the viper now.
I want to discuss reaction to people on different types of cars when they look at them

Vette- hot car, nice, I have always wanted one,exciting

Camaro/Mustang- everyone has one,a girls car, hillbilly comments, trailer park trophy.

Charger/Challenger- hot car,retro on Challenger,charger is a cop car, always wanted a Challenger, Hemi's rock.

Ferrari/ Lamborghini- that is a ****** car/ yuppy ride/ sounds like a vacuum running.

New C8- reaction would be, that is a ****** car, a yuppy ride,gm is copycat Italian
Old 12-10-2017, 09:24 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Yeah, it would have been nice if GM had taken the best of both the Saturn and Pontiac. Then, given it to Chevy with a boosted motor. That would have stolen sales from the Miata and down the road acted as a feeder to the Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:37 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,574 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Yeah, it would have been nice if GM had taken the best of both the Saturn and Pontiac. Then, given it to Chevy with a boosted motor. That would have stolen sales from the Miata and down the road acted as a feeder to the Corvette.
GM actually toyed with that idea for a short time. There was even a early 2000s, Solstice based Chevrolet concept, ironically called the "Stingray". I used to have a picture of it somewhere...

Last edited by LIE2ME; 12-10-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:37 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

I know the top on the convertible was a pita to lower. I've never seen one down except on a showroom floor.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

I know the top on the convertible was a pita to lower. I've never seen one down except on a showroom floor.
I did not find the top to much of a pain to lower or raise. However, once the top was down, there was ZERO trunk space...
Old 12-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
It's curious that the cited "wave of the future", electric cars, that cannot survive in the free market without massive government subsidies, is seen as a viable alternative to gasoline powered cars. The Tesla often referenced as a game changer sports car in these forums is a glaring example of a car company totally reliant for its survival on the backs of taxpayers without which would cease to exist. The Tesla is a modern day Tucker more than likely. The irrational fear of "man made climate change" is the actual fuel source for such boondoggles. I could understand government subsidies at the university level for battery research, but subsidizing inefficient cars that few are willing to actually pay for is a total waste of money. The battery technology is simply not there yet. Elon Musk is a con man capitalizing on stupidity.
I agree with many of your points: however, I have to disagree on the
following points:
1. The science behind human accelerated climate change is pretty
concrete and can no longer be disputed.
2. It's true that the battery technology is "not there yet", but the gains
in energy density are exponential so the handwriting is on the wall.
For example, lithium air batteries are now being tested and developed
that give up to 1000 miles range and can be quick charged.
3. Elon Musk is a bit of an enigma to me. He is a great promoter and
visionary, but I would not call him a con man. His company may not
survive in the long run, but he has certainly contributed to a
technology revolution. Tucker only made approximately 5 cars:
Musk has done much better than that---50,000 to date; I would not
write him off yet.

Last edited by Nobull; 12-10-2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling error
The following 2 users liked this post by Nobull:
ByByBMW (12-10-2017), sunsalem (01-08-2018)
Old 12-10-2017, 05:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobull
following points:
write him off yet.
I wonder how many cars Tucker would have made if Truman had given him hundreds of millions of dollars to play with, and then bribed the American public with hundreds of dollars each, to buy a Tucker automobile? 51 cars built is not "approximately 5".

That electricity to charge an EV has to come from somewhere. If we're going to brainstorm new ideas for the future of mankind, then maybe the .gov should spend trillions of dollars to develop a tree that will do the job. Just plug you EV into the nearest oak tree.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-10-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:43 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

You completely missed my point. The potential mid engine is not a clean sheet sports car. The market is dying for cars like this. Read my post. Besides serving the ego what is gained by coming out with a car like this. It still has a reciprocating engine that is a fossil; it does't matter where the engine is located. Mid engine or not the car is rehashing the past. The market is shrinking for all these cars unless you are a professional sports player or a arab oil sheik. The CEO of GM has also said that GM
intends to phase out gasoline engine cars in the near future. GM has come close several times in the past to terminating the corvette. Look, the corvette is a limited production car with declining sales and an aging demographic. The costs to retool, and design a new mid car are
astronomical. I have seen the many pictures of what appear to be
mid engine prototypes with camo. GM does not give a damn about the enthusiast. They are a high production car company, and the only thing that matters to them are numbers and sales. This company is not stupid. Wouldn't it be ironic if ME comes out as a Cadillac? Certainly a much better demographic!
Sorry, but by the common definition of a "clean sheet design" the C8 ME definitely qualifies as a clean sheet design unless you count any previous design influence from GM's previous work from before the bailout.

The ME will definitely be a halo car for Chevrolet and will also be the first truly modern sports car that a mortal will be able to afford (i.e. at 70-90K). It will shame any sports car anywhere near its price point.

I have been waiting for an affordable, V8, mid engine sports car for 45 years! (i.e. the first ME corvette was supposed to be available in 1972 - I'll be it with a Wankel).

Also, it is my understanding that there are many motivated engineers at GM that love cars and want GM to produce a world class sports car.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:45 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
I did not find the top to much of a pain to lower or raise. However, once the top was down, there was ZERO trunk space...
Interesting. You're the first one I've heard say that about the top.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:58 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Interesting. You're the first one I've heard say that about the top.
To lower the top just hit the button to pop the buttresses, then unlatch the top and down she goes. Reverse to raise the top, then push the buttress pins into the lock position, and "presto". The only problem is that you can't do it from inside the car. You have to exit to perform either function. Really, no problem for me...
Old 12-10-2017, 10:12 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

That was the issue iirc. Most wanted to do so from inside the car as with the Miata.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:22 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I wonder how many cars Tucker would have made if Truman had given him hundreds of millions of dollars to play with, and then bribed the American public with hundreds of dollars each, to buy a Tucker automobile? 51 cars built is not "approximately 5".
Tesla took a single loan from the government and repaid it on time with interest. The American taxpayers made tens of millions of dollars on that deal. Americans who buy Teslas get a few thousand dollars tax credit, far less than the US gives in mortgage interest deductions every year. None of that money goes directly to Tesla. It goes to individual tax credits. That tax credit is falling rapidly because it is limited to the first 200,000 cars sold. It's called social engineering. The idea that people buying +$100K cars can suddenly afford them if they get a tax credit is absurd. It's an incentive the same way your mortgage deduction is at "taxpayer expense." You don't see many people griping about that tax giveaway.

That electricity to charge an EV has to come from somewhere. If we're going to brainstorm new ideas for the future of mankind, then maybe the .gov should spend trillions of dollars to develop a tree that will do the job. Just plug you EV into the nearest oak tree.
How about plug it into the sun? Same thing as an oak tree, really, which has absorbed the sun's energy. Tesla's new charging stations will all be solar powered. So you get your wish. It's already being done. The antagonism displayed against electric is amazing. Here you see the future staring you in the face and you can't handle it. By and large the objections to electric are frivolous (Range? Oh, please give me a friggin' break!) and short sighted. Here's a technology that can get us out of fossil and into solar and you don't like it. In five years you will have an electric in your garage. Get used to the idea. The C9 will be an 'Lectric Vette that will put your damn ZR1 to shame.

Last edited by mschuyler; 12-10-2017 at 10:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
msm859 (01-08-2018), Nobull (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 10:38 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

They get more charging stations around the country and it will be doable. I've already seen them is some out of the way places out west. Almost all the Loves fuel stops are getting them. I expect to see Flying J/Pilot do the same. I would like to see the technology get the cars at least 1k in range w/o charging. Also, more motel chains have to get on board.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:40 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

...unfortunately for those who love the "old" gas guzzling hot-rods with their sounds and smells and feel... electric is coming on fast and does have power, acceleration and some enhancements that gas powered cars simply can not match. They are coming and we will all most likely own one... but not yet !
Old 12-10-2017, 10:43 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
The C9 will be an 'Lectric Vette that will put your damn ZR1 to shame.

c9 will be 850hp with 32 MPG........some how
Old 12-10-2017, 10:51 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Actually, I'm betting on a hybrid for the C9.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:12 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Actually, I'm betting on a hybrid for the C9.
I am betting the C9 never happens - by 2030, all cars will be fully autonomous and non-self-driving cars will be banned from public roads.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 and the future of the Corvette

Old 12-11-2017, 09:05 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

following points:
write him off yet.
The Tucker wasn't on the government tit, the Tesla would have had a similar fate without the subsidies. Look it up yourself.

It's up for debate which side is really denying the science on man made climate change and in particular what to do about it. You people that think electric is the future need to look into how many new power plants would be needed to charge all the cars that replaced gasoline powered cars. The infrastructure needed to distribute the energy to cities and towns. What are these new mega power plants going to run on, windmills!! No, the whole thing is a pipe dream with every existing technology we have and everything that is on the table.

I really don't want to make this a debate about "climate change" but I would ask you to look into the absolutely ridiculous solutions politicians come up with that will cost you trillions in increased taxes, drive jobs and manufacturing out of the country for promises of tenths of degrees differences in global temperatures over many decades. You really think countries like China, Mexico, India etc etc, are going to create mass unemployment and even more poverty and political unrest to comply with environmental regulations that serve some unrealistic utopian view of the future?
The following users liked this post:
RoketRdr (03-24-2018)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:18 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

It's a lot more than hundreds of dollars bribing those Tesla buyers.

"The federal government has capped the $7,500 credit at a total of 200,000 vehicles per manufacturer; Tesla is about a quarter of the way to that limit. In all, Tesla buyers have qualified for an estimated $284 million in federal tax incentives and collected more than $38 million in California rebates.May 30, 2015"
Old 12-11-2017, 09:49 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
It's a lot more than hundreds of dollars bribing those Tesla buyers.

"The federal government has capped the $7,500 credit at a total of 200,000 vehicles per manufacturer; Tesla is about a quarter of the way to that limit. In all, Tesla buyers have qualified for an estimated $284 million in federal tax incentives and collected more than $38 million in California rebates.May 30, 2015"
I was speaking of 1948 dollars on a Tucker bribe back in 1948.

Quick Reply: C8 and the future of the Corvette