Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 interior opinions/ thoughts/ ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 05:00 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by WKM
Vetteman or are you Ironman under a different moniker. Chevrolet has always been and will be the working class car for GM. If you want a $250 k car go elsewhere nobody cares. GM is smart enough to know they can sale 30,000 a year at around $65,000 and up compared to 2000 at $250,000.
I agree there needs to be an entry level Corvette.

GM already has that and will continue to build the C7 Stingray and GS as entry level sports car.

What wrong with offering a world class car that can compete with the European manufacturers.

Do we have to have 2 entry level Corvettes. I personally don't think GM will stop building the front engine GT there too many traditionalist Corvette buyers to do that.

They did not expand the plant twice it's size to build the same quantity of cars.

If they intended to drop the front engine GT platform they would do so on the relate of the Rear mid engine car.

It's my opinion that they intend to build both cars.

It's been stated that the reason for testing rear mid is performance is maxed out with current platform.

So it makes sense that the rear mid will be top.of line car.

But I suppose there are many guys that want everything but don't want GM to charge us for it.

That's just asking for more compromised vehicles when I hope GM will show the world that we too can build a high end super car that is on part with its European comp.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:28 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Well for one obviously it was a lie about the front engine design being maxed out or they wouldn’t have come out with the ZR1 which they claim is the best yet. You should have seen where it pissed all the Z06 boys off. You need to read what has already been said about the ME beings I believe it was Tadge that said they would start around $65,000.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:58 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Although the current 3LT optioned interior is a fairly nice place to sit in, I hope GM elevates the C8's interior further all the way from the base trim up to the full packaged Leather Wrapped option. And design it to be as sexy and unique as the exterior.

And more options like parking sensors, better HD screens and cameras, uber sound system option, more interior colors, more stitching colors, etc.

Also get rid of creaking over driveways......and make it an option for more sound insulation/isolation.

Also, please GM no more skimping on costs just to keep the base price low for the tiny percentage that don't care about quality. Invest a little more in the C8's interior........and noooooo more Glue smell for God's sake, make it have fine leather aroma!!

Final thing, get rid of the Chrome Wheel option and hillbilly looking Jake logo!!!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:14 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Simple elegance

The Lamborghini Gallardo has a clean, elegant interior. GM could well to get inspiration from it. Alas- I'm sure it's too late as the interior design was locked down last year.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:48 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WKM
Well for one obviously it was a lie about the front engine design being maxed out or they wouldn’t have come out with the ZR1 which they claim is the best yet. You should have seen where it pissed all the Z06 boys off. You need to read what has already been said about the ME beings I believe it was Tadge that said they would start around $65,000.
It was also Tadge that has stated multiple time the at the front engine platform is maxed out.

I was in attendance at Daytona last year and he and Harlen both stated that they could not discuss future products but that it was getting to the point that Corvette racing was at a distinct disadvantage to teams with the rear mid platform.

LOOK at Porsche even their GTLM team changed the iconic rear engine 911 to a mid engine platform.

I can tell you that my Callaway SC757 has far more power than the chassis can handle.

The ZR1 is nothing more than a copy of what Callaway has done with the SC757 including the supercharger sticking out through the hood to help cooling.

For you guys that want a midengine car with inferior technology I am sure GM will produce a base model that will be full of compromises.

Google the followingredients super cars
Ferrari 488 starts at 256k
Lamborghini Huracan 231k
Maclaren 191k
Audi A8 179k
​​​​​​Porsche GT2 189K
If Corvette is benchmarking the Porsche 911 do you really expect the car to be 60k?

Let see going to coil over suspension and a DOCH with turbos and mid rear engine and a DCT.

Yeah I am sure GM can do all that for 60k when every other manufacturers in the world charge at least 110k more.

Then we will have another Corvette with the an * about how good the car is for the money and because of that we overlook poor fit and finish and a sports car that uses a truck engine and transmission.

Try getting your Corvette to do a 0 to 60 in less than 3.0 seconds as advertised. Not happening try getting the lap times produced by Jim Mero not happening.

To extract the performance number with the front GT platform you need to be an excellent driver.

Then drive a 458 and see that the car are easy to drive to the max and do so without trying to kill you like the Corvette.

Sorry that some of us would like GM to produce a world class car. With no excuses that fit sucks or it over heats because they trying to keep the car at 1/2 the price of the competition.

I hope for once GM give us a no excuses world class car that is not judged by how cheap it is but what it can do in the hands of an average driver like the competition.

I won't be buying a 13th Corvette if it is full of compromises.

The C7 ZR1 is 140k with option but the mid engine super car should be 60k right?
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (01-05-2018)
Old 12-27-2017, 10:05 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
It was also Tadge that has stated multiple time the at the front engine platform is maxed out.

I was in attendance at Daytona last year and he and Harlen both stated that they could not discuss future products but that it was getting to the point that Corvette racing was at a distinct disadvantage to teams with the rear mid platform.

LOOK at Porsche even their GTLM team changed the iconic rear engine 911 to a mid engine platform.

I can tell you that my Callaway SC757 has far more power than the chassis can handle.

The ZR1 is nothing more than a copy of what Callaway has done with the SC757 including the supercharger sticking out through the hood to help cooling.

For you guys that want a midengine car with inferior technology I am sure GM will produce a base model that will be full of compromises.

Lamborghini Huracan 231k
Maclaren 191k
Audi A8 179k
​​​​​​Porsche GT2 189K
If Corvette is benchmarking the Porsche 911 do you really expect the car to be 60k?

Let see going to coil over suspension and a DOCH with turbos and mid rear engine and a DCT.

Yeah I am sure GM can do all that for 60k when every other manufacturers in the world charge at least 110k more.

Then we will have another Corvette with the an * about how good the car is for the money and because of that we overlook poor fit and finish and a sports car that uses a truck engine and transmission.

Try getting your Corvette to do a 0 to 60 in less than 3.0 seconds as advertised. Not happening try getting the lap times produced by Jim Mero not happening.

To extract the performance number with the front GT platform you need to be an excellent driver.

Then drive a 458 and see that the car are easy to drive to the max and do so without trying to kill you like the Corvette.

Sorry that some of us would like GM to produce a world class car. With no excuses that fit sucks or it over heats because they trying to keep the car at 1/2 the price of the competition.

I hope for once GM give us a no excuses world class car that is not judged by how cheap it is but what it can do in the hands of an average driver like the competition.

The C7 ZR1 is 140k with option but the mid engine super car should be 60k right?
I agee the FE is basically maxed out, of course they are going to claim the ZR1 is the best, cause it is until the Performance version of the ME shows up!! I think we will get a 65-70k ME but it won’t be the DOHC TT version, I think that one will start around 110-120k and go up. Still undercutting the competition but no by nearly as much.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:26 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Some of us old guys ...aren't as particular about interior fit or finish...to the point of spending 4 times as much money...

You incorrectly assume it's because we don't have the coin...hehhehee...

We just just don't give a ****.

I put my 22 year old handicapped autistic son in the car ...and we eat in car......and we take the dog to the dog park..we take the corvette each Saturday horseback riding and that means traveling dirt roads over wood bridges...in the mud and we don't care...

We are enjoying life ...and when it's all said in done..the mud washes off, the dirt and wood chips vacuum out of the interior each weekend...

When we go to the malls or to restaurants on father son adventures each week..we park the car in the spring, summer and fall when the weather permits with the roof off and the radar detector right there out in the open with its blend mount. What's going to happen? Someone is going to steal the car? So what...we'll buy another one...

There are some of us...that never want the things we own to own us...

We are free...

We experience life...and laugh...

We don't worry about saving our cars for better resale...

We use them as devices to have fun.

My neighbors up and down the block with their brand new Porsche turbos, Maserati grand sports, Jaguars, ferraris all have the greatest respect for my corvette...

Only on the internet do I hear how much of a cheap bastard I am because I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money when I don't have to...

I don't give a crap out the stitch pattern on the upholstery ..I really don't...

I don't want to pay for that kind of stuff...since I don't care...

We get it ...some people do...so I'm sure it ll be easy for GM through either corvette or Cadillac to accommodate both consumers..

When I get in the corvette and I fire up the simple ohv v8 and it roars to life I laugh my *** off..

When I'm driving it around bear mountain and the seven lakes...and the car easily performs as well as any foreign elitist machine...I'm happy...

i dig the 1LT interiors....I don't want more..and with that said..I have full confidence GM will deliver an interior option that will rival Ferrari in the c8...and if not corvette then it'll probably be the Cadillac offshoot designed to compete with the Audi R8 target (that is designed to be killed off in 2020 as reported this past week)

I definitely get where your coming from....you just paid off your mortgage, your kids are gone, you paid off their college education and now it's time for you to savor life...

I was there a decade ago...it's a great feeling that you never want to end.. I can respect that...and I wish you well..

What you ll eventually find in my experience is that it's not the things you own that can actually extend that awesome feeling but rather the journey of life itself and the freedoms that brings you that really extends that living at the top of the world ..

Good luck ...all I want is 500 hp, a manual or better yet a dct...a rear mid engine https://www.google.com/search?q=low+...obile&ie=UTF-8 with a roof that comes off and a reasonable price tag of 65 grand so I can happily drive it on dirt roads and wood bridges as I take my handicapped 22 year old autistic kid special needs horseback riding whenever the hell I want in my corvette...I want to be able to leave the car open where ever the hell I want and laugh at how much fun it is as we journey through life.

I hope they offer a 850 twin turbo v8 Dohc with carbon fiber wheels and the best interior ever offered to mankind at 200 grand for people who just have to have that too...

I'll be the waving at you while it's raining while we have the roof off and the curly headed kid in the passenger seat laughing our asses off! A little bit of rain on the seats and interior? We don't care...it'll dry when the sun comes back out!

Life is good!

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-27-2017 at 10:44 PM.
TNBUSA (12-28-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 10:31 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Why do you think the c8 will be a super car?
Old 12-27-2017, 10:53 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
Why do you think the c8 will be a super car?
BEcause even a simple 500 hp LT1 v8 rear mid engine corvette c8 will tear up all the so-called supercars or exotic cars out today...and we re not even talking about a simple and inexpensive Lt4 or LT5 powered rear mid engine corvette annilating the European competitors costing easily double...

So it comes down to the stitching on the seats and the material on the door cards.

It's the interior ...

Will the corvette be a super car for 60 grand? Hell no but it'll beat the **** out of them on the track and then Run 100k miles before it even needs its spark plugs changed...

Hats off to the euro exotics..I love them...we all do...but carefree ownership experiences blistering performance along ...with minimal maintaince...corvettes rule...!

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-27-2017 at 10:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
Rapid Fred (12-28-2017), TNBUSA (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 04:29 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

^^^^

Great if that's what works for you but most others do baby their Corvette's and in fact have multiple cars to the stuff you mentioned with.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:04 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Some of us old guys ...aren't as particular about interior fit or finish...to the point of spending 4 times as much money...

You incorrectly assume it's because we don't have the coin...hehhehee...

We just just don't give a ****.

I put my 22 year old handicapped autistic son in the car ...and we eat in car......and we take the dog to the dog park..we take the corvette each Saturday horseback riding and that means traveling dirt roads over wood bridges...in the mud and we don't care...

We are enjoying life ...and when it's all said in done..the mud washes off, the dirt and wood chips vacuum out of the interior each weekend...

When we go to the malls or to restaurants on father son adventures each week..we park the car in the spring, summer and fall when the weather permits with the roof off and the radar detector right there out in the open with its blend mount. What's going to happen? Someone is going to steal the car? So what...we'll buy another one...

There are some of us...that never want the things we own to own us...

We are free...

We experience life...and laugh...

We don't worry about saving our cars for better resale...

We use them as devices to have fun.

My neighbors up and down the block with their brand new Porsche turbos, Maserati grand sports, Jaguars, ferraris all have the greatest respect for my corvette...

Only on the internet do I hear how much of a cheap bastard I am because I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money when I don't have to...

I don't give a crap out the stitch pattern on the upholstery ..I really don't...

I don't want to pay for that kind of stuff...since I don't care...

We get it ...some people do...so I'm sure it ll be easy for GM through either corvette or Cadillac to accommodate both consumers..

When I get in the corvette and I fire up the simple ohv v8 and it roars to life I laugh my *** off..

When I'm driving it around bear mountain and the seven lakes...and the car easily performs as well as any foreign elitist machine...I'm happy...

i dig the 1LT interiors....I don't want more..and with that said..I have full confidence GM will deliver an interior option that will rival Ferrari in the c8...and if not corvette then it'll probably be the Cadillac offshoot designed to compete with the Audi R8 target (that is designed to be killed off in 2020 as reported this past week)

I definitely get where your coming from....you just paid off your mortgage, your kids are gone, you paid off their college education and now it's time for you to savor life...

I was there a decade ago...it's a great feeling that you never want to end.. I can respect that...and I wish you well..

What you ll eventually find in my experience is that it's not the things you own that can actually extend that awesome feeling but rather the journey of life itself and the freedoms that brings you that really extends that living at the top of the world ..

Good luck ...all I want is 500 hp, a manual or better yet a dct...a rear mid engine https://www.google.com/search?q=low+...obile&ie=UTF-8 with a roof that comes off and a reasonable price tag of 65 grand so I can happily drive it on dirt roads and wood bridges as I take my handicapped 22 year old autistic kid special needs horseback riding whenever the hell I want in my corvette...I want to be able to leave the car open where ever the hell I want and laugh at how much fun it is as we journey through life.

I hope they offer a 850 twin turbo v8 Dohc with carbon fiber wheels and the best interior ever offered to mankind at 200 grand for people who just have to have that too...

I'll be the waving at you while it's raining while we have the roof off and the curly headed kid in the passenger seat laughing our asses off! A little bit of rain on the seats and interior? We don't care...it'll dry when the sun comes back out!

Life is good!
I wish you and your son all the best!!

It's my hope GM will offer a variety of Corvettes to fit everyone wants and needs.

I think if the C8 replaces the front mid engine rear drive platform you will get your wish for a 70k rear mid engine Corvette.

If as I suspect that the C8 will continue to be a front mid engine that I will get my wish and GM will offer a true world class sports car without the compromises required to deliver a rear mid engine car at an entry level purchase price.

It's clear we use our Corvettes for different purposes. For me my Callaway and my Ferrari are fair weather toys. They definitely don't see mud or dirt roads as that not why I purchased them.

Many of the members that site the pure performance measures of the Corvette vs a Ferrari or exotic. While it's true the Coveted can post number comparable or even better than some exotics what they don't know is the difference in the driving experience.

My Callaway is faster than my 458 italia by published numbers.

The difference is the Corvette wanta to kill me to reach those performance number. The Ferrari is pure joy to drive and never feels like it going to kill you at any second.

There is something to be said for the ease of driving a super car or a car with super car performance.

I could best describe driving the Callaway as hair raising and it keeps you on guard as it feels it will exceed my level of driving skills at any moment even with all the nannies on.

The Ferrari feels like it's much smaller and lighter and handles incredible.

I would say it like driving a Go Cart that happen to have 570hp. Just much more easy to drive at the limits and feel significantly smaller than the Corvette. Which by the way it is not the wheel base are very close as is the curb weight as well.

I love the Corvette it's a great car for the money.

I like to say I love the Corvette regardless of how much it cost.
JerriVette (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

It's my hope GM will offer a variety of Corvettes to fit everyone wants and needs.
I think you will get your wish. There is money to be made from leveraging the popularity of the Corvette "brand." How to keep the aging, but hyper-loyal current group, while snipping off big bucks from performance lovers with divergent tastes and needs (as exemplified by so many of the discussions in this forum section), is the trick. I bet they'd like to generate not only "aspirational" youth interest but somehow launch model lines that more than a couple thousand younger customers will actually purchase every year.

I think they've got a strategy to do so and are working out the product and marketing details as we conjecture. Will we see electric? "bargain" C7 evolution? hybrid? SUV? GT 4 seater? 1/2 price (say $130K) exotic? 1/2 price (say $200K) supercar? 1/2 price (say $350K) hypercar?

Not all of the above (there is Cadillac to consider) but likely some. Think of how Porsche evolved (all very upscale, of course). This is gonna be fun.
sunsalem (12-28-2017)
Old 01-05-2018, 07:50 AM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

I haven't seen this pointed out, but I noticed at least one of the camo cars has what looks to be a flattened top steering wheel. May be similar in shape to the Ford GT, LaFerrari, etc..
I wonder what functions they'll move to the wheel, and if it might have a row of shift lights??

The following 3 users liked this post by MikeG37:
2017C7 (01-05-2018), firstvettesoon (01-05-2018), Spasetrucker (01-06-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:15 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeG37
I haven't seen this pointed out, but I noticed at least one of the camo cars has what looks to be a flattened top steering wheel. May be similar in shape to the Ford GT, LaFerrari, etc..
I wonder what functions they'll move to the wheel, and if it might have a row of shift lights??

Good catch! Looks like you may be onto something there...

Last edited by FrankLP; 01-05-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:18 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Damn, GOOD eye!!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:54 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

This is the first time that I have looked at this thread.

I am old, I am old school. I don't expect or care that much about the quality of a sports car's interior.

Does if have a great heart (engine)? Does it have a transmission that can get the maximum from the engine when driving around a track? Does it have an optimized suspension that can keep the tires flat on the road surface while also allowing some ride compliance (i.e. wishbones)? Does it have an optimum weight distribution (40-45% front / 60-55% rear)? Does it have a relative low polar moment of inertia? Does it have a low center of gravity? Does it weigh 3,000 lbs or less? (an old criterion for a sports cars' weight - almost impossible to attain currently due to all of the extra stuff that is mandated to be included.)

While I would love the C8 to weigh less than 3,000 lbs, I realize that low weight in this context means big money, i.e. carbon fiber! If the base C8 is to cost 65K, we can forget about the use of exotic and costly materials in the structural parts of the car. So, hopefully, the C8 will not weigh more than 3,300 lbs.

Interior options are great for those that want them. "You pays your money and you takes your choice". I believe that most of us are aware that options typically add a great deal of additional profit margin for the manufacturers.

I hope that some of the C8 performance options (DOHC engines, etc.) are priced according to their relative additional cost versus the "base" engine as opposed to charging an arbitrarily large amount because the market will bear it or because the increase is what Porsche would charge!

Fingers crossed - not much longer to wait! If we don't hear anything on the 13th, I'll have to fuhgeddaboudit!

Last edited by PurpleLion; 01-06-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Lamborghini Huracan 231k
Maclaren 191k
Audi A8 179k
​​​​​​Porsche GT2 189K

A PORSCHE was benched marked when they built the C7 so looks like that PORSCHE is what they want to better. they also know they can't charge ridiculous prices for key fobs and certain other outlandish stuff Porsche adds to their cars

Quick Reply: C8 interior opinions/ thoughts/ ideas