Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:57 PM
wv8090
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Am I crazy?

I love the C7, Had a 14' 1LT and a 16' 1LZ... I love these cars and I have been fanatically reading all the ZR1 info and C8 rumors and something strikes me as odd about the C8 ME idea.

It seems to me that everybody thinks the C8 is going to be mid engine...

But I'm under the impression that the C8 will be front engine with a new body style and the mid engine car will be a totally separate product standing as an answer to the Ford GT.

I mean if you look at the size of the new Bowling Green it appears to be big enough for two totally separate product assembly lines.... If every C8 was going to be ME why would you need 2X the factory size when your still only building one product? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Just my thoughts, but maybe I'm just crazy.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:58 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

I think the rear mid-engine car will share most of its center section, and some other parts with the C8/ successor to the C7.. but two separate and distinct models.
No way in hell they've almost doubled the size of the plant to build a single car that'll most likely sell in fractions compared to C7, C6, C5, etc.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:18 PM
wv8090
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeG37

I think the rear mid-engine car will share most of its center section, and some other parts with the C8/ successor to the C7.. but two separate and distinct models.
No way in hell they've almost doubled the size of the plant to build a single car that'll most likely sell in fractions compared to C7, C6, C5, etc.

Exactly!

I mean did they double the size of Bowling Green when they rolled out the C7 generation?

The only reason to double the Square footage of the facility would be because you are doubling your product lines.

I mean why on earth would GM roll out the ZR1 for 2019 then make all front engine corvettes obsolete the next year in 2020?

I suspect the ZR1 will roll out and be king for 3ish years starting 2019. The ME will roll out in 2020 as a low production (Or simply higher price point) Ford GT killer.

Then, a couple years later the C8 will roll out as a revamped front engine product.

Who wants to place bets?

Last edited by wv8090; 11-18-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:46 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think BG is expanding assembly capacity for the soon-to-be-announced, all-electric, AWD Corvette SUV, RV and Station Wagon models.
Your thoughts might be different.
The following users liked this post:
gurneyeagle (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 03:14 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Or they are sharing the plant with Cadillac for the up scale mid engine.

Last edited by moose.b3; 11-19-2017 at 03:15 PM.
SLWRNU (11-23-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 04:53 PM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

You are crazy but it's not a bad thing at all so consider it a compliment. It very well could end up that way however I hope not.

Originally Posted by wv8090
I love the C7, Had a 14' 1LT and a 16' 1LZ... I love these cars and I have been fanatically reading all the ZR1 info and C8 rumors and something strikes me as odd about the C8 ME idea.

But I'm under the impression that the C8 will be front engine with a new body style and the mid engine car will be a totally separate product standing as an answer to the Ford GT.

I mean if you look at the size of the new Bowling Green it appears to be big enough for two totally separate product assembly lines.... If every C8 was going to be ME why would you need 2X the factory size when your still only building one product? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:15 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

wv8090, you are far from crazy. You are very sane.

However you are wrong, for the approximately $67K starting price, C8 ME will be the only Corvette produced for the 2020 MY and thereafter.
VETTE-NV (11-22-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:21 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

However you are wrong, for the approximately $67K starting price, C8 ME will be the only Corvette produced for the 2020 MY and thereafter.
If the price point for the ME is truly that low, and the car is as hot looking as I hope, then I am an early buyer. The problem is that my wife LOVES my C7 vert (she really gets hooked on cars. She drives a 12 year old Land Rover I can't get her to trade in). She wants us to keep the C7 even if I purchase the C8. The truth is, I have neither the funds or the garage space for a C7 AND a C8. What do I do?...

Last edited by LIE2ME; 11-19-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:55 PM
wv8090
Instructor

I hope I Am wrong haha, I'm so excited about the ME words don't describe it!

I am just looking at it logically though...

If every C8 is a ME and BG is only making C8 vettes why do they need double the Square footage?

I also can't wrap my head around the ZR1 being a one year only car.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:57 PM
wv8090
Instructor

Originally Posted by moose.b3
Or they are sharing the plant with Cadillac for the up scale mid engine.
This is also a very possible outcome I think
Old 11-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Count me out if the c8 isn’t mid engine

I’ll buy a gt3 if that’s the case

atleast if I spend 130k on that I get a Porsche not another Gm product that has a creeky roof
thegame (11-27-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:15 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

You are nuts.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Judging by the size of the Bowling Green plant, the ME and the C8 will not be the same car. Porsche had the 928 and 944 alongside 911s because they needed volume sales to go alongside higher performing models. I believe GM will have the C8 Corvette in production by 2021 as a front engine, rear wheel drive car with its usual performance variations. By 2019 they’ll have the Mid-Engine Corvette (possibly called the Zora and the Z1 generation)in production as a true supercar to rival McLaren and Lamborghini, And its price range should be the same as the 911’s.

However, the front engine Corvette won’t be necessary if the Mid-engine model starts under $70,000. For that price, it’s sadly out of the price range of many hard working Corvette fans but still cheap enough to be the base model. The Camaro is moving upmarket and its outperforming Porsches and low end supercars, so the Vette has to move up at some point too. I’d be happy with either scenario, as long as a small block V8 is available.

And to the person who mentioned a Corvette wagon, I think that would be the best Corvette ever produced.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:47 PM
wv8090
Instructor

Originally Posted by Waytofastvette2006
Count me out if the c8 isn’t mid engine

I’ll buy a gt3 if that’s the case

atleast if I spend 130k on that I get a Porsche not another Gm product that has a creeky roof
I think that is the market segment that GM is going after.

Ford screwed the pooch with the GT... 6 cylinder, $400,000 and only a select few are even "approved" to buy one.

GM is going to launch the ME with a V8, under $200,000 and available to everybody with the money to buy one.

Should give the GT a black eye.

Meanwhile the C8 will carry on with a front engine.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:50 PM
wv8090
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quinten33
Judging by the size of the Bowling Green plant, the ME and the C8 will not be the same car. Porsche had the 928 and 944 alongside 911s because they needed volume sales to go alongside higher performing models. I believe GM will have the C8 Corvette in production by 2021 as a front engine, rear wheel drive car with its usual performance variations. By 2019 they’ll have the Mid-Engine Corvette (possibly called the Zora and the Z1 generation)in production as a true supercar to rival McLaren and Lamborghini, And its price range should be the same as the 911’s.

However, the front engine Corvette won’t be necessary if the Mid-engine model starts under $70,000. For that price, it’s sadly out of the price range of many hard working Corvette fans but still cheap enough to be the base model. The Camaro is moving upmarket and its outperforming Porsches and low end supercars, so the Vette has to move up at some point too. I’d be happy with either scenario, as long as a small block V8 is available.

And to the person who mentioned a Corvette wagon, I think that would be the best Corvette ever produced.
I agree %100
Old 11-20-2017, 12:56 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by wv8090

Unfortunately, no one outside of GM knows if the C8 will actually be an ME.
GM is incredibly good at keeping info on the Corvette from being leaked.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:23 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer
I think BG is expanding assembly capacity for the soon-to-be-announced, all-electric, AWD Corvette SUV, RV and Station Wagon models.
Your thoughts might be different.

I think you nailed it. The C8 is going to be mid engine; there may not be a front engine version.

I also think that the expansion is for a Corvette LINE, as well as some Cadillac variant of the ME car.

Fun to speculate, abut right now, that's all we have is speculation.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:39 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

I think we have a lot of wishful thinking here about expanding the Corvette line. You will have the ME and you will have the Stingray/GS models for the C8. If Corvette was expanding to station wagons, SUVs etc. they would have to go through a series of Government DOT testing and certifications, this takes years, as when you change chassis or body styles you must undergo certification including crash tests. THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED. So what you do have is what we know the ME and Stingray (front engine) at least for the next two years. I predict, you will have the ME, and you still have the Stingray. I do doubt about the wagons, SUVs and others. I also think in time Stingray will break away from Chevrolet, and become its own nameplate under GM. I would also predict a hybrid will be release for Corvette in the next two years, with all electric by 2024 as options of the C8. C7 will last two more years of production.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:36 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
I think we have a lot of wishful thinking here about expanding the Corvette line. You will have the ME and you will have the Stingray/GS models for the C8. If Corvette was expanding to station wagons, SUVs etc. they would have to go through a series of Government DOT testing and certifications, this takes years, as when you change chassis or body styles you must undergo certification including crash tests. THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED. So what you do have is what we know the ME and Stingray (front engine) at least for the next two years. I predict, you will have the ME, and you still have the Stingray. I do doubt about the wagons, SUVs and others. I also think in time Stingray will break away from Chevrolet, and become its own nameplate under GM. I would also predict a hybrid will be release for Corvette in the next two years, with all electric by 2024 as options of the C8. C7 will last two more years of production.
I think you're right. I think the electric or hybrid is closer than we think

Get notified of new replies

To Am I crazy?

Quick Reply: Am I crazy?