Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM’s Mid-Engine Economy Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

We all get a chance to vote. The sales numbers will determine the future of Corvette. I look forward to the choices that are coming!
Old 12-14-2017, 08:19 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory
No it doesn’t have to cost any more than the normal price Jumps between models. I have posted this on other threads too. Porsche’s cheaper models are ME... and Porsche makes more per car than any other major car maker.
$90,00 total MSRP would be great for me
Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
And what are these facts you alluded to? All I saw in your post was opinion and innuendo other than Porsche making the RSR ME.
compared to a boat or air plane????????????? I live on land so an "everyday" boat won't work.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:18 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

If GM will target the Porsche Boxster, but keep with GM pricing and economics, they could come up with a real Porsche challenger. But it wont be easy the Boxster has years of development behind it.
LOL GM is not targeting a Boxster! They've been rivaling 911's all this time and I have a feeling they are targeting bigger fish than a 911.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:20 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by SSsedanM6
The C8 must be exclusively mid-engine and retain the base C7 MSRP of $55k.
If not, GM will be making a huge mistake.

The pice/performance ratio has always been Corvette's selling point.
Ask Porsche/exotic prices, and people will just buy a Porsche/exotic instead, including me.
Even if it starts at $80K, it will be a steal! If they lose someone like you to a Porsche then I'm sure they will gain some people coming the other way from a Porsche to a Corvette.

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 12-14-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:59 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

And what are these facts you alluded to? All I saw in your post was opinion and innuendo other than Porsche making the RSR ME.
Most of what I am saying is just simple Physics re suspension design, polar moment of inertia, mass centralization, etc. If you want to argue with the LAWS of Physics, have at it!

My statement re Porsche changing the 911 to a ME layout is an opinion and I could definitely be wrong.

They have kept the rear engine layout due to market pressure. The 911 can have rear seats due to its rear engine. Perhaps this is a cherished feature of Porsche customers who are looking to rationalize what some consider to be a selfish purchase (i.e. a two seat sports car). However, I am slightly amazed that the 911 is still being sold.

Once the ME Corvette becomes available, people who love high performance cars will buy them like hot-cakes. The only people who will want to buy a 911 will be people who have to have the status or people that don't know or care about cars that much. Porsche is currently actively hamstringing the Boxster-Cayman to prevent it from outperforming the 911. A four cylinder sports car that can cost over 100K? Good luck trying to sell it against a 500HP ME Corvette that costs 70K!

Perhaps Porsche will leave the 911 as is, and increase the capabilities of their ME duo. However, my opinion is that Porsche will want to maximize the selling power of the 911 silhouette and will therefore respond to the ME Corvette by making the 911 ME. In the final analysis, I do not really care what Porsche does. I care about GM producing a revolutionary Corvette for a reasonable price!

Last edited by PurpleLion; 12-15-2017 at 08:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (12-16-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 08:46 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Why would anyone even pay $5k more when going ME does NOT represent a $5k cost increase?
I am not really sure what you are getting at. But, GM offering a ME Corvette with wishbone suspension (Porsche's use inferior struts), a DOHC V8 engine and a DCT transmission for less than 80K is revolutionary! No-one really knows what the market size is for a car like this because this will be the first time that a car with this specification will be offered in this price range. Yes there have been plenty of V8, mid engine cars that cost over 150K and plenty of 4 cycl ME cars that were affordable and some 6 cycl ME cars that were/are very expensive.

The Ford Pantera is the only V8, mid engine car that was offered at a semi-mortal price, but it was still significantly more than a 911.

We should all be really thankful that GM is doing this. Hopefully the new mid engine Corvette will become the new world standard for an affordable sports car.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:53 AM
SSsedanM6
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
We all get a chance to vote. The sales numbers will determine the future of Corvette. I look forward to the choices that are coming!
The votes are already in.
The average Corvette buyer is 63 years old.

If GM wants to continue to sell Corvette, they need to replace the generation that is about to die off.
They need to retain the current MSRP with the next C8 generation, and go exclusively mid-engine.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:27 PM
70LQ4
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

If GM wants to continue to sell Corvette, they need to replace the generation that is about to die off.
They need to retain the current MSRP with the next C8 generation, and go exclusively mid-engine.
Back in the mid 80's, I was Mechanic at an Oldsmobile dealer. One day I was in the showroom talking to the owner , I pointed to the poster on the wall that said "this is not your fathers Oldsmobile", I said "that will be the death of Oldsmobile". Tom said " what do you know about what sells , you're a Mechanic". I said "They are alienating their core buyers , I see what is going on after the sale , I hear the complaints , they just plain don't like the new car at all". I also see the wife pick them up with the new car, usually a Crown Vic or rear wheal drive Mercury. He went on how Old People die off , and how they must attract younger buyers or they will die off with them. I told him that there will be no shortage of old Farts , as people age the will end up wanting their Fathers Oldsmobile. Well time has proved Me right , Oldsmobile is gone , and his dealership went bankrupt even before that .
Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 PM
SSsedanM6
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 70LQ4
Back in the mid 80's, I was Mechanic at an Oldsmobile dealer. One day I was in the showroom talking to the owner , I pointed to the poster on the wall that said "this is not your fathers Oldsmobile", I said "that will be the death of Oldsmobile". Tom said " what do you know about what sells , you're a Mechanic". I said "They are alienating their core buyers , I see what is going on after the sale , I hear the complaints , they just plain don't like the new car at all". I also see the wife pick them up with the new car, usually a Crown Vic or rear wheal drive Mercury. He went on how Old People die off , and how they must attract younger buyers or they will die off with them. I told him that there will be no shortage of old Farts , as people age the will end up wanting their Fathers Oldsmobile. Well time has proved Me right , Oldsmobile is gone , and his dealership went bankrupt even before that .
Your post makes absolutely no sense.
Companies need to replace their old and dying customers with new and younger customers.
If not, they will die like Oldsmobile did, and Corvette potentially will as well.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:05 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Most of what he listed are facts!

Again, he is not arguing with your “feeling” that the 911 provides an amazing driving experience — given how many knowledgeable folks agree with you it would be an unwinnable argument. But — (1) what Porsche themselves do when ultimate performance is the target (back to 962’s for crying out loud) plus (2) their own designers and engineers trying to get rid of it for street use back in the 70’s, plus (3) the automotive world is unanimous in rejecting rear-engine as a starting point for their vehicle engineering. These are ALL facts — and persuasive arguments supporting the “compromised” contention.
I agree with Fred. The 911 was an update of the 356 which dates back (ultimately) to Der Fuhrer's 1937 Volkswagen, which, itself, was really a savings bond program (via coupon book) for the Third Reich's war machine. The 911 almost died in the 1970's, but the Porsche faithful never really cottoned to the 924/944 or the 928 and so Porsche (wisely) kept it alive. Porsche has done just as masterful a job as Boeing has with the B737, (another design from the 1960's), in keeping the car "evergreen". It is, NOT, however the best Porsche can do.

The real Porsche racers started with the 550, then the 904, the 908, then the 917, through the 956 and 962 to the just retired 919 LMP1 WEC Championship car which has won LeMans three years in a row. Now THAT is a blueprint for the future of Porsche.

The 919 uses a mid-engine V-4 to drive the rear wheels with two turbos - one to turbocharge the V-4 and the other to run a generator to charge a large Li-Ion battery which powers two electric motors in the front wheel hubs. The turbocharged 2.0 liter V-4 only develops 500 HP, but the electric motors add another 500 HP in short bursts, such that the 919 is so adept in decelerating and re-accelerating that it is as fast down the Mulsanne straight with the two chicanes as the 962 was running it in a straight line !

The next "911" will likely be developed from the pioneering work Porsche has done on the 918 and the 919 using the 919 powertrain architecture configuration as a starting point and will be decidedly mid-engine. I.e. the CG will be near the middle of the car, all four wheels will drive, and the prime mover will be hybrid gas/electric.

Corvette will end up here, also, eventually because world is changing - once the sea starts to rise dramatically and costs the really rich, real money, (since most of their real estate is within 10 miles of an ocean), you can bet that these green technologies will be exploited to limit the damage from CO2 emissions. We are almost there now.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (12-15-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 08:00 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

The ME has been seen testing against the 911/S Turbo which has a starting price of 191k reg 911/TT is 161k. I still feel the new base ME will have a starting MSRP between 69k to 79k with more powerful versions well north of that. I just recently sold my ME Audi R8, it was a wonderful car other than repair cost when she broke (A/C compressor 799 in parts with a repair well over 5k because they had to pull the motor). ME cars are more difficult to work on, which will be a challenge for the dealer network and training their mechanics. I been on a waiting list for two years now & hoping to be the 1st ME owner in my area. Time will tell on ME pricing, I just feel GM would have a difficult time selling more than a few cars at a price point north of 150k+. Their dealer network/experience & marketing doesn’t support that luxury space compared to Porsche, McLaren, BMW, Ferrari, Audi & Lambo. You can’t compare the Ford GT to the C8 ME that is a one off specialty hyper car that was built as a race car 1st to compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. GM could make many of the Less expensive ME & use their top of the line version limited version for their race car in the 24 hour Le Mans & racing programs. They do this today with the Z06.

Last edited by fasttoys; 12-16-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
The ME has been seen testing against the 911/S Turbo which has a starting price of 191k reg 911/TT is 161k. I still feel the new base ME will have a starting MSRP between 69k to 79k with more powerful versions well north of that. I just recently sold my ME Audi R8, it was a wonderful car other than repair cost when she broke (A/C compressor 799 in parts with a repair well over 5k because they had to pull the motor). ME cars are more difficult to work on, which will be a challenge for the dealer network and training their mechanics. I been on a waiting list for two years now & hoping to be the 1st ME owner in my area. Time will tell on ME pricing, I just feel GM would have a difficult time selling more than a few cars at a price point north of 150k+. Their dealer network/experience & marketing doesn’t support that luxury space compared to Porsche, McLaren, BMW, Ferrari, Audi & Lambo. You can’t compare the Ford GT to the C8 ME that is a one off specialty hyper car that was built as a race car 1st to compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. GM could make many of the Less expensive ME & use their top of the line version limited version for their race car in the 24 hour Le Mans & racing programs. They do this today with the Z06.
The current Corvette demographic does not bode well for the future of the car. GM needs to expand both the demographic and the brand. That’s why I believe we are seeing thenbeginnings of a sub brand. FE and ME platformsmare not mutually exclusive. Just look at the Ferrari California and the 488. Looking at the changes they made to rhe assembly line in BG suggests a very flexible process capable of producing different rypes of vehicles. And one thing GM has excelled at w the Corvette has been producing a car w great performance at a price point significantly below other makes. However, because of the perceived lack of sophistication (ie interior, pushrods, leafsprings), the Corvette has always suffered from getting “left handed” compliments w the qualifier being “Its very good FOR A CORVETTE”. You never hear that w Porsche. Time to change that. And GM has the scale to change that

Last edited by Dominic Sorresso; 12-16-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

GM is not so sure of this. Both platforms will run together until a clear choice from buyers emerge. They think about 2 years still depends on how we vote with our wallet! ME would be the clear choice if the price is Low enough. Other manufactures sure aren't reasonable with 150k plus stickers.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

GM is not so sure of this. Both platforms will run together until a clear choice from buyers emerge. They think about 2 years still depends on how we vote with our wallet! ME would be the clear choice if the price is Low enough. Other manufactures sure aren't reasonable with 150k plus stickers.
I think you are very wrong if u think GM is doing this as a trial balloon. U don’t amortize 400million over a 2 year run of maybe 30k units/year. There’s a lot more to come of this.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
I think you are very wrong if u think GM is doing this as a trial balloon. U don’t amortize 400million over a 2 year run of maybe 30k units/year. There’s a lot more to come of this.
The money spent is not just for ME it is an investment in new assembly line technics that make running multiple platforms and changing platforms much quicker and efficient. Think of it as evolving into a 3D Printer some day! No more chains pulling the units along more robotics instead. It is already been used to move parts around the factory now it is going to be used to move units on the assembly line.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

The money spent is not just for ME it is an investment in new assembly line technics that make running multiple platforms and changing platforms much quicker and efficient. Think of it as evolving into a 3D Printer some day! No more chains pulling the units along more robotics instead. It is already been used to move parts around the factory now it is going to be used to move units on the assembly line.
Regardless, u don’t make an enginnering and development commitment like the one for an ME platform on a hope that it works. I just don’t envision Mary Barra telling the Board “Hey we’re going to try this out and see what happens.”

Get notified of new replies

To GM’s Mid-Engine Economy Car

Old 12-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Just think about the individual carrier, telling the robots in each area what is needed on that unit only. Robots that adapt instead of being fixed in their task eliminating down time of retooling and changing the jigs, now required on currant assembly lines during model changes.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:04 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

It still comes back to doing what is profitable. They would build Model T's if we would buy them!

Last edited by Jim Barker; 12-18-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Since the ZR1 was released there haven't been any new "spy shots" of whatever we've been spying on.

Quick Reply: GM’s Mid-Engine Economy Car