Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the C8 let me do this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 07:56 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
Seems silly, but this is a requirement for my car, at least until the kid moves on to college.

Yes, this is a full size Cello in my Corvette trunk.
My crystal ball says absolutely...

To theorize that the ME will only be sold side by side to the standard layout Corvette for a couple years means they expanded Bowling Green and invested hundreds of millions of dollars so that could happen for a couple years...no way. They intend to build side by side long term and add to the brand.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:01 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
My crystal ball says absolutely...

To theorize that the ME will only be sold side by side to the standard layout Corvette for a couple years means they expanded Bowling Green and invested hundreds of millions of dollars so that could happen for a couple years...no way. They intend to build side by side long term and add to the brand.
I sure hope your right and the C8 is a high performance top of line super car.

That way the traditional GT layout could be enry level and keep the inexpensive entry into the Corvette family and have a top of the line mid engine C8 where cost is not trying to be held down to allow for inexpensive entry to the Corvette family.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:10 PM
SSsedanM6
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

These assertions that there will be 2 configurations of the Corvette going forward are absolutely ridiculous.
Corvette is a top tier performance coupe.
Mid-engine is the superior configuration, and the Corvette team is already on record stating the C7 has maxed out the performance of the front engine configuration.

If you want the inferior front engine configuration, go buy a Camaro.
But, good luck seeing out of that clown car.

When I posted this, I expected a bunch of people to simply say "that's awesome, all this performance and you can still carry a cello when you have to!" What I got was typical internet response, where people freely offer their criticism and uneducated judgement over something that doesn't hurt anyone in any way. (You can skip the complaining about how the space damages the performance of your bargain supercar, we get that.)

The Corvette is not the best tool for a daily driver. I just happen to be lucky enough that it works for me. I think it's flexibility is one of the things that make it an engineering triumph.

I tried having several cars for different reasons. I ended up driving the Corvette every day because driving the others just made me wish I was in the Corvette. Now we use the wife's CTS for family trips. In a year or two, my son will get his own car and he can lug his own cello around.

The Corvette makes a fantastic daily driver, especially in the SoCal weather. The Z06 is Corvette #4 and I expect the ME will be #5. If the C8 doesn't fit the bill and my next car turns out to be a Ferrari, I'll daily drive it too.

I don't really care if folks can have 10 cars and pick the right one every time they walk out of their mansion. I get to enjoy the flexibility every time I run to the grocery store, take it to the track, and everything in between.

Peace...

Way to live up to your screen name, pal.

Last edited by SSsedanM6; 12-12-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Kelly.s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw a dirty used concrete wheelbarrow stuffed in the back of a new c7 the other day. Some people have no soul. Must be a leased car.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:50 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I have extremely doubts that a full sized Cello will fit in a ME coupe with the roof on. It could fit sticking out the top with the roof off or in a ME convertible, but knowing musical instruments’ sensitivity to weather, that’s a non-starter.

Last edited by elegant; 12-12-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:47 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by SSsedanM6
Corvette is a top tier performance coupe.
Mid-engine is the superior configuration, and the Corvette team is already on record stating the C7 has maxed out the performance of the front engine configuration.
If you want the inferior front engine configuration, go buy a Camaro.
But, good luck seeing out of that clown car.
The Corvette since 1953, has never been a "top tier" or ultimate performance coupe. It has been a very good preforming 2 seat sports car, even in Z06 & ZR1 configurations. It has most always been available as a convertible, and since the C3, the coupes have always had removable roofs - both the antithesis of ultra high performance.
The Corvette has survived for 65 years because it sells in volume and at a price that many can afford. Only a very small percentage of Corvette owners track their cars and would benefit from the higher level of performance of the ME, while sacrificing the usability of the FE (from C4-C7).
I have no problem with GM building a ME car, but even if it was only 20% more expensive than the current car (Imo, it will be more like 30-50%), sales volumes will be down considerably since the majority of current buyers, contrary to what you would read on this forum, are not "must have the highest performance car".

Last edited by LIStingray; 12-13-2017 at 08:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by yz250fPilot
I'm glad it fits for you, but it looks like the wrong tool for the job.
Wow -- that's one viewpoint, but for many of us you cannot be more wrong. Like me, OP wants a daily driver that fits his needs perfectly:
  • Very high performance
  • Dependability
  • Fits a passenger and plenty of stuff (e.g. golf outings, a week on the road)
  • Looks awesome (worthy of the "lookback")
  • Great (for the most part) community of non-judgemental owners who love the cars and their history

If you really only have room for 2 cars in the garage, your partner is OK with something on the practical side, and you fit the above description, the Vette is not only the "right" tool, it is the PERFECT tool. SO satisfying to be driving my Vette almost daily as opposed to a "practical" car while the Vette just sits there and depreciates...
WaxWeekly (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:39 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Wow -- that's one viewpoint, but for many of us you cannot be more wrong. Like me, OP wants a daily driver that fits his needs perfectly:
  • Very high performance
  • Dependability
  • Fits a passenger and plenty of stuff (e.g. golf outings, a week on the road)
  • Looks awesome (worthy of the "lookback")
  • Great (for the most part) community of non-judgemental owners who love the cars and their history

If you really only have room for 2 cars in the garage, your partner is OK with something on the practical side, and you fit the above description, the Vette is not only the "right" tool, it is the PERFECT tool. SO satisfying to be driving my Vette almost daily as opposed to a "practical" car while the Vette just sits there and depreciates...
I think you missed the entire point of this tread.

The OP asked would he be able to fit his son musical instruments and other stuff into the C8 which is expected to be rear mid engine.

Myself and other forum member answers the question and the answer is NO WAY.

G.M. I'd only going to the rear mid engine platform because the front mid engine rear drive platform is maxed out performance wise.

So if the whole purpose of designing and development of a rear mid engine is to improve performance then cargo capacity that is simaliar to the current front mid engine GT platform should not be part of the design priorities.

GM is not bench marking the Porsche Cayman but they are benchmarkin the 911 turbo. Sound like the focus is on performance.

Your not going to get similar cargo capacity from a rear mid super car as you do a front engine GT platform.

Good new for forum members like you and the OP is GM sounds like they will continue to offer a barging priced front mid engine GT platform for guys who want an inexpensive sports car.

Then they can also build a car to compete with Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini at price point we'll north of 125k that the C7 ZR1 starts at. With options be prepared to spend 150k plus.

Still a barging at 150k plus compared to the competition with rear mid engine v8 / v10 or high power 6 like the 911 turbo.

So you be disappointed if you think your stuffing golf clubs into the C8 ZR1 or Zora.

If you can that means GM compromised the car for the sake a a few guys who daily drive their super car and or take their super car to go golfing.

That's what they make the GT layout for but not the upcoming high performance C8.

If they do focus on golfor clubs that a mistake as you not going to get Ferrari or Lamborghini guys to consider a C8 with performance compromises.

No many super cars are designed to be cargo hauler sorry daily drivers for that matter
Old 12-15-2017, 12:50 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,350 Likes on 482 Posts

Of course it will. You just need tie downs and something to protect the roof.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:35 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960

The OP asked would he be able to fit his son musical instruments and other stuff into the C8 which is expected to be rear mid engine.

Myself and other forum member answers the question and the answer is NO WAY.

G.M. I'd only going to the rear mid engine platform because the front mid engine rear drive platform is maxed out performance wise.

So if the whole purpose of designing and development of a rear mid engine is to improve performance then cargo capacity that is simaliar to the current front mid engine GT platform should not be part of the design priorities.

GM is not bench marking the Porsche Cayman but they are benchmarkin the 911 turbo. Sound like the focus is on performance.

Your not going to get similar cargo capacity from a rear mid super car as you do a front engine GT platform.

Good new for forum members like you and the OP is GM sounds like they will continue to offer a barging priced front mid engine GT platform for guys who want an inexpensive sports car.

Then they can also build a car to compete with Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini at price point we'll north of 125k that the C7 ZR1 starts at. With options be prepared to spend 150k plus.

Still a barging at 150k plus compared to the competition with rear mid engine v8 / v10 or high power 6 like the 911 turbo.

So you be disappointed if you think your stuffing golf clubs into the C8 ZR1 or Zora.

If you can that means GM compromised the car for the sake a a few guys who daily drive their super car and or take their super car to go golfing.

That's what they make the GT layout for but not the upcoming high performance C8.

If they do focus on golfor clubs that a mistake as you not going to get Ferrari or Lamborghini guys to consider a C8 with performance compromises.

No many super cars are designed to be cargo hauler sorry daily drivers for that matter
As the creator of this thread, I can confirm that he got the point perfectly.

There are plenty of threads pointing out the new ZR1 is not the enthusiasts wet dream because of sales volume. I highly doubt that the ME is going to throw away the customer base that appreciates Corvette for what it is today.

EDIT: I want to go on record that I agree with much of what you say. I highly doubt this particular Cello will ever fit in the ME. The car's dimensions are likely to change significantly.

Last edited by WaxWeekly; 12-15-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:38 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
Of course it will. You just need tie downs and something to protect the roof.
I'd never do that, but I do have a photo of a friend with a Christmas Tree tied on the roof of their Macan.

If it doesn't fit, the wife and I will trade cars on days I have to move things around. She loves Corvettes.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:20 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

That's a real shame. I get to enjoy my Corvette every day. I'm comfortable knowing that GM will make a car they can move some quantity. The popularity of automatics demonstrated that well. If all they cared about was beating track times of exotic cars, the price tag would reflect it and the Corvette would no longer be the 'everyman's performance bargain' that it is today.

So I disagree. I hope they make it a well-rounded car that can daily drive and then kick *** on the track every weekend.

At the same time, I do wish they would make an 'ACR' version for the track rats out there. I think it would be good for the brand. It just wouldn't be for me.
Bingo!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:29 PM
SSsedanM6
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Although I don't golf, I disagree.
The ability to store 2 sets of gold clubs has always been a stated goal of the Corvette team, and I believe the same goal was quoted to be a C8 goal as well.
If I recall correctly, the leak said the storage for 2 club sets was engineered to be in stored horizontally the rear of the C8, above/behind the rear wheels.
Although I do not golf, the ability to carry 2 sets of clubs allows GM to sell the Corvette in large numbers, making it affordable.

So, I believe and hope the affordable price , and ability to store 2 sets of clubs will continue.
Frankly, it must, or Corvette will fail.
C8 must be exclusively mid-engine , and retain the base C7 MSRP of $55k.
If not, Corvette will cease to exist as we know it.

PS:
History has proven that GM doesn't give a crap about my opinion.
If my opinion mattered, the C8 would forgo the storage concerns to focus on performance , and offer an optional roof rack/roof storage for those who want to transport golf clubs and snowboards. If so, all needs would be met, with performance being the primary engineering focus.
Make mine an no option base model, with just a pushrod V8 and a DCT transmission.

For example:

Last edited by SSsedanM6; 12-15-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:01 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

"Originally Posted by yz250fPilot View Post
I'm glad it fits for you, but it looks like the wrong tool for the job."

Nope -- and I was responding to the quote above anyway.

You sure wasted a lot of words getting it wrong...

Addendum -- I buy them used anyway. So, as long as they make Vettes that have today's functional utility for another 5 years or so (as the engine planning data suggest) my "final" (how depressing) Vette will suit me just fine!

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 12-15-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:30 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

How could you say such a thing - everyone on this forum has agreed that GM will be making the Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo killer with at least the Z06's 650 hp for under $85k - or at least that is what every poster puts up when I have suggested the ME C8 will start above $100k, and likely in the $110-120k range.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:11 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

C8 doesn't have to fit two sets of golf clubs...times change...maybe one set is sufficient...

The cello isn't going to make the trip in a c8 so plan to keep your c7 until your talented son gets his license and then plan for him to travel in his own vehicle with his musical instrument if he is still playing etc..

As far as the two sets of golf clubs? Who the takes their corvette to the golf course with two sets of clubs...?

What is it 5 percent?

GM validates its corvettes to break through a three foot snow bank too....lol or at least it did with the c5 corvette...

Now a days the z06 has summer radials as an option that crack in temperatures below 40 degrees...Times change...so do design requirements...

My gut tells me after the c8 releases the 7 th gen camaro will follow the styling and design direction of the Ferrari portifino and rid itself of the retro look of the fifth and sixth gen camaro...that sold extremely well in the fifth gen and less so in the sixth..

This should free up those who want sexy styling and room for two sets of golf clubs..(totally just a guess)

i do believe the cost of the rear mid engine corvette will be minimally more than the c7...with the exception of the 5 grand the transaxle will cost..tops...

Depending on engine...

What exactly costs more to convert a c7 chassis to a rear mid engine chassis.?

Btw all the r & d was put on old GM and jettisoned with the old company....and if Cadillac picks up any part of the tab the c8 could be cheaper! (Kidding of course)

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-15-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:13 PM
kingpin111
Race Director

Received 102 Likes on 59 Posts

Simple solution.

Cello in the passenger seat.
Kid in a taxi.
WaxWeekly (12-18-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 03:17 PM
emsguy
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Default probably not, but . . . .

Seems silly, but this is a requirement for my car, at least until the kid moves on to college.

Yes, this is a full size Cello in my Corvette trunk.
step 1: get a contractor's garbage bag
step 2: put cello in garbage bag
step 3: tightly seal garbage bar for weatherproofing cello
step 4: get several bungee cords (the more the better)
step 5: place cello (in garbage bag) on top of rear wing
step 6: secure cello to wing with bungee cords
step 7: do not exceed 150 mph
step 8: post photo on Autoweek BWTM page
Old 12-16-2017, 04:43 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

...Maybe switch to the violin?
WaxWeekly (12-18-2017)

Quick Reply: Will the C8 let me do this?