Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sexiest ME render?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 01:43 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The stowage of the targe roof on the above Lambo might be fully functional, but IMO it is the opposite of aesthetically pleasing. If that is the best the Corvette ME can do (which I doubt), I hope there is also a fixed roof version, or my top will remain on almost all of the time. But if it stows underneath the front hood, or vertically behind the seats as suggested, that would be better.

Interesting that we all want so many different things. JerriVette notes that a “roof off targa is essential,” yet my wife and I loved our fixed roof C6 Z06, and have many friends have owned their C7 couple without having taken the top off but maybe once or twice.

GM, I hope and bet you have a better solution(s) that Lambo does, yet meets JerriVette and our C7 convertible friends’ needs too.

Last edited by elegant; 02-09-2018 at 01:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
91ZR1 (02-09-2018), JerriVette (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
The stowage of the targe roof on the above Lambo might be fully functional, but IMO it is the opposite of aesthetically pleasing. If that is the best the Corvette ME can do (which I doubt), I hope there is also a fixed roof version, or my top will remain on almost all of the time. But if it stows underneath the front hood, or vertically behind the seats as suggested, that would be better.

Interesting that we all want so many different things. JerriVette notes that a “roof off targa is essential,” yet my wife and I loved our fixed roof C6 Z06, and have many friends have owned their C7 couple without having taken the top off but maybe once or twice.

GM, I hope and bet you have a better solution(s) that Lambo does, yet meets JerriVette and our C7 convertible friends’ needs too.

The roof has to come off no matter where it is stored.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:42 PM
elegant
Safety Car

There well could be a fixed roof coupe version just like the 1999+ FRC’s/C5 Z06’s and the 2006+ Z06’s.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Get rid of the removable roof option, put a smaller, boosted engine in the back of the car, get rid of the storage and road trip capability, increase the price....what's left that still makes this thing a "Corvette" ?
Old 02-09-2018, 03:42 PM
elegant
Safety Car

The C6’s got rid of the pop up headlights and the C7’s got rid of the round tailights, so none of the C6/C7’s were/are Corvettes? And the FRC 1999-2001 FRC, the C5 Z06’s and the C6 Z06’s were/are not Corvettes either since their tops were never removable.

The prior post is not logical, nor historically-based thinking, for Corvettes have changed and evolved since gen 1, and they will continue to change.

The good news is that everyone of us gets to choose whether we embrace the next generation changes, or we wish to stay will what we currently have and like. And specifically for those who do not like nor want a ME, GM will be making C7’s for at least two more years.
The following users liked this post:
Larshelt (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:32 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Get rid of the removable roof option, put a smaller, boosted engine in the back of the car, get rid of the storage and road trip capability, increase the price....what's left that still makes this thing a "Corvette" ?
The C6’s got rid of the pop up headlights and the C7’s got rid of the round tailights, so none of the C6/C7’s were/are Corvettes? And the FRC 1999-2001 FRC, the C5 Z06’s and the C6 Z06’s were/are not Corvettes either since their tops were never removable.

The prior post is not logical, nor historically-based thinking, for Corvettes have changed and evolved since gen 1, and they will continue to change.
Come on. You're attacking a straw man. Jeff V. listed a preponderance of fundamental changes, not a handful of superficial ones.

Do you really think he is unaware that Corvettes have changed over the last 60 years?

He basically asked "what does/should it mean to be a Corvette?" which is a fair question.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Elegant
Way to take what I said and oversimplify it.

In any case, C5 and C6 still had targa versions. There were structural and performance justifications for the non-targa versions. (I actually think the C7Z got too far away from that type of thinking) The hand wringing over the headlights was stupid. C1 and C2 had fixed headlamps.

They also didn't change all those things at once. The things that have stayed the same are the general proportions, the front engine, rear drive layout, and the ability to drive across the country, with all your 'stuff' onboard, do a track day or two, and then drive back.

If you take the badge off, this is just another me-too mid engine car. A budget alternative to the Italian stuff. There's nothing about this that says "Corvette" to me.

Then again, I'm the one who's been saying for months this isn't the successor to the C7. This is not an evolution. It's something altogether different. That doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in the family though.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:18 PM
elegant
Safety Car

We have not yet seen the ME, and yet, “There’s nothing about this that says ‘Corvette’ to me.”

We are all entitled to our own opinions. Clearly mine are different than others, for
I believe that we see stand next to it at its reveal, with its many historical styling clues, it will say “I am a Corvette.”

Perhaps I am too optimistic, but the same C7 design team (with one exception) is the ME’s design team.

And if I am totally wrong, thankfully for those who wish, the C7’s run will continue for at least two more years.

Last edited by elegant; 02-09-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

We haven't seen the details yet, but thanks to all the leaks, there isn't a lot of mystery left. To be honest I don't think there's a whole lot of truly new stuff they can do, aside from some hybrid AWD craziness like the NSX.

I've had a similar argument with my wife about food, and substituting ingredients. After you replace half the dish and change the preparation, should you really still call it lasagna for example? It might still be an amazing dish...just call it something else. Let it stand on its own.

Even if they break the Corvette name into multiple models, that'd still be ok as long as there's sufficient differentiation. Like if there were front engine Corvette Stingray, Grand Sport, and a minimalist Z06, and then have the mid engine car be a Corvette Zora and a ZR1 for example.

It will likely be an amazing car. Just call it by a new name. And keep the old recipe around for people who still love it.
elegant (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 08:39 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Since our Corvettes were named after a British WWII warship, and were then built prior to Britain being able to build destroyers, maybe the ME should be called a Destroyer (GM feeling sorry for its ME competitors).

Seriously, maybe not calling it a C8 or similar, instead naming it Zora, MantaRay, ME1, or ???

Last edited by elegant; 02-09-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:35 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm sure somebody already posted this image below earlier in this endless speculation-fest, this seems like a realistic vision of what the car might look like to me:

Last edited by patentcad; 02-12-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Steven Beaver
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 85 Posts

No that’s just a C7 with different proportions. It will look nothing like that
The following 2 users liked this post by Steven Beaver:
Larshelt (02-14-2018), Shaka (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:30 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Thank goodness
Old 02-12-2018, 08:30 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
I'm sure somebody already posted this image below earlier in this endless speculation-fest, this seems like a realistic vision of what the car might look like to me:

No way GM brings out a revolutionary new Mid engine and has it look like the current C7.

​​​​​​No way does it look like a C7 with a shorten nose and elongated tail. That is not revolutionary.

A quick glimpse of any of the spy shot it's clear it will look nothing like a C7.

This rendering is just a lazy interpretation of what the C7 would have looked like had it been mid engine and not what the C8 will look like. Not even close unless all the spy photos are of something other than the Corvette mid engine . I don't believe that to be the case. It is the C8 mid engine and will be totally different from any Corvette we have seem in the 1st 7 generations.

I think it will be much less of.statement than the over done Lamborghini Huricon and styling closer to the conservative styling of a Ferrari 458/ 488.

In my opinion I hope that it's not over done like the Lamborghini body style and is more subdued and timeless design that we see from Pininfarina and Ferrari.

Owner both a Lamborghini and Ferrari as well as many Corvette.

I hope the car leans more toward a refined classic Ferrari than the LOOK AT ME Lamborghini.

Ferrari is simple a much more refined car than Lamborghini both in styling and performance.

If GM is going to target any car to design cues and performance it would be wise to imitate a 458/488 which are truly the class of the sports car world.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 02-12-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:31 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

We have not yet seen the ME, and yet, “There’s nothing about this that says ‘Corvette’ to me.”

We are all entitled to our own opinions. Clearly mine are different than others, for
I believe that we see stand next to it at its reveal, with its many historical styling clues, it will say “I am a Corvette.”

Perhaps I am too optimistic, but the same C7 design team (with one exception) is the ME’s design team.

And if I am totally wrong, thankfully for those who wish, the C7’s run will continue for at least two more years.

Sounds about right...I'm not convinced the c7 will continue for another two years but if it does...those who are in love with front engine rear drive sportscars with huge trunks will be happy.

Once the c8 releases I d be surprised if c8 sales aren't stronger for a longer period of time than we have seen with the c7...

Which I believe has been quite successful over its lifetime.

7 years is a long life cycle even for two seat sports cars..

I'd almost call it optimum.

The ZR1 is a nice swang song.

Last edited by JerriVette; 02-12-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960

This rendering is just a lazy interpretation of what the C7

I think it will be much less of.statement than the over done Lamborghini Huricon and styling closer to the conservative styling of a Ferrari 458/ 488.

In my opinion I hope that it's not over done like the Lamborghini body style and is more subdued and timeless design that we see from Pininfarina and Ferrari.

Owner both a Lamborghini and Ferrari as well as many Corvette.

I hope the car leans more toward a refined classic Ferrari than the LOOK AT ME Lamborghini.

Ferrari is simple a much more refined car than Lamborghini both in styling and performance.

If GM is going to target any car to design cues and performance it would be wise to imitate a 458/488 which are truly the class of the sports car world.
Back in Jan 2018, Grasser Racing Team Lamborghini Huracán GT3 won the Daytona 24 hours. The Austrian team dominated the GTD category, with the crew formed by the Lamborghini Factory.

Also the fastest car around the Ring to date. Hardley unrefined.
I would like to see the Vette boys have the same amount of courage as the Lambo guys in their execution of the c8 but I'm afraid it is going to look a lot like the yellow car below.
The C7 was going in the right direction in styling and with further refinement, it could become what Corvettes aught be. IE, the Vette engineers retaining their courage like the Lambo engineers have.

From what I've seen, the C8 lacks the traditional Corvette team courage.
Each Lambo is breathtaking. Far better engineered than any Ferrari, with a bit of help from Germany. Ferraris are no longer designed by Pininfarina, starting with the 458, LaFerrari and the 488.

The following images I have modified to look like a Vette, A: Yellow, from the spy shots (awful), B: Red, A GM conservative look, C: A Lambo shark look,yeah.
A

B

C

Screw the Euro look, above all, it must look American and Corvette.

Last edited by Shaka; 02-13-2018 at 11:03 AM.
LSxhotrod (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:19 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shaka
Back in Jan 2018, Grasser Racing Team Lamborghini Huracán GT3 won the Daytona 24 hours. The Austrian team dominated the GTD category, with the crew formed by the Lamborghini Factory.

I would like to see the Vette boys have the same amount of courage as the Lambo guys in their execution of the c8 but I'm afraid it is going to look a lot like the yellow car below.
The C7 was going in the right direction in styling and with further refinement, it could become what Corvettes aught be. IE, the Vette engineers retaining their courage like the Lambo engineers have.

Each Lambo is breathtaking. Far better engineered than any Ferrari, with a bit of help from Germany. Ferraris are no longer designed by Pininfarina, starting with the 458, LaFerrari and the 488.

The following images I have modified to look like a Vette, A: Yellow, from the spy shots (awful), B: Red, A GM conservative look, C: A Lambo shark look,yeah.
A

B

C

You have no idea of what your talking about.

1 Ferrari 458 Is designed by Pininfarina for Ferrari. The 488 is just an update of the original 458 design.
I have a 15 458 sitting in my garage next to my 16 Callaway SC757.
Look at any 458 at lower 1/4 area and you will see the Pininfarina emblem.

​​2 I also owned a Lamborghini and as I stated it was and is nowhere near or is as refined as the Ferrari 458 in it driving and handling abilities. Get massive amount of understeer due to being 4 wheel drive.
Also the Getrag gear box in the 458 is more refined than the gear box in the Lamborghini.

But I am sure you have own both a Ferrari and Lamborghini and that why you can state so positivly what you claim to know about these 2 drastically different super cars.

It sound more probable that your total opinion is based on u tube videos or a 15 minute drive of a super car experience rather than a informed opinion of someone who has thousands of miles in both the Ferrari & Lamborghini

Ferrari hold the test of time. One look at the most expensive and collectable cars in the world and it is Ferrari after Ferrari that are the most desirable collectable cars.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 02-13-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sexiest ME render?

Old 02-13-2018, 10:29 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shaka

A

B

C

Shaka one more thing your dead wrong on is the production ring time record holder.

Fastest ring time for production car at the ring is help by a Porsche GT2 RS at 6:47 second. November of 2017.

So no again your statement is dead wrong. The Lamborghini Huracán ran a 6:51 and that time has been questioned as to it validation.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad

sadly this probably is what it will look like....
Old 02-14-2018, 02:06 AM
LSxhotrod
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats just C7 with cabin moved forward.... shorter nose and longer rear. Why on earth would GM do that?

Quick Reply: Sexiest ME render?