Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code name Zerv

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:09 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Durability comes before quality. You can make a durable design which is impossibly to manufacture and therefore will have bad quality. You can design a part which has no durability and make it perfect every time (thereby having quality). IF you want to bridge the two you have to talk about manufacturability.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-30-2017, 10:30 AM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Questions for those who know better than me.

I have tried to enhance the CAD drawing of the rear so we can see more details.

Could the highlighted areas be part of an active Aero system? I can't tell what the parts are or where they go. Maybe some of you guys can shed some light?

It the "piston" part of the suspension or wing activation?

Why are there such big holes or ports in the top edge of the "spoiler" area? Aren't they too big for bolts?

Maybe you can see more details now on the highlighted side.?

That is a possibility for that cylinder, but it looks too long for the function. Also in that rendering, look at the duplication of the suspension parts to the right part of the drawing. Wonder why that is the case.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:47 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Some of the active wings lift very high. That's why I thought it could be for the spoiler.

...maybe like this? Although I think from the CAD the spoiler may sit on top of the rear deck as a spoiler and then activate to raise up as a wing?

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 12-30-2017 at 10:49 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
Larshelt (12-31-2017), MikeG37 (12-30-2017), Shaka (01-02-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 11:59 AM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

^^^ I was thinking the same thing as you. It will probably be a $5,000 option, standard on the Z06.
Great work firstvettesoon.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-30-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:04 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

That's what I thought I was seeing. I figured the dark area with the "notches" you highlighted was what was left underneath the spoiler when it's raised, and the spoiler just isn't shown in that shot.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock427

While the dialogue is very good, I wish it was in another thread.
We were called in to provide an interlude for ZERV..
Good stuff BTW and it must be Christmas season.......

Old 12-30-2017, 01:56 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
I wish this would go back to the original subject. The pending C8 or what ever GM decides to call it.
OK, got it....sorry for going OT everybody.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:05 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

Thats not active aero. Thats to pop open a trunk. My 2015 Focus has that $5000 option too
Old 12-30-2017, 02:21 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by got2bblu
I was thinking the same thing as you. It will probably be a $5,000 option, standard on the Z06.
Great work firstvettesoon.

Originally Posted by Telepierre
We were called in to provide an interlude for ZERV..
Good stuff BTW and it must be Christmas season.......

It does give us something to discuss while waiting on Zerv to re-appear.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:03 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Here is a side view of the render with active aero similar to the Porsche Turbo S.

This may make sense since the ME was seen testing with a Turbo S.

As elegant was suggesting, the front spoiler tucking up for 30 deg. will also help with driveways and speed bumps.

Seems reasonable. I think as the CAD drawings don't show how this would be, I figured the rear spoiler would sit on the body deck similar to the C7 for a mild effect and then raise at speed for more DF. The front spoiler could sit raised at slow speed and slid out and down at speed to duct air better.

I also updated the view with new headlamps and side vent like the iso view.

thoughts?

The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
bigblock427 (12-30-2017), Larshelt (01-02-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 08:51 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

^^^ Nice work.

The rear spoiler is something I am expecting.

I have not thought about the front splitter being the way you show. But what you are showing is very interesting and may make sense. But I don't think that will be the configuration. I think it would be cool if it is, and very innovative, but I just don't see it being done that way.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-30-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:06 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

^^^ Most definitely not a candidate for a drive thru car wash ...........

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-30-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:15 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Here is a side view of the render with active aero similar to the Porsche Turbo S.

This may make sense since the ME was seen testing with a Turbo S.

As elegant was suggesting, the front spoiler tucking up for 30 deg. will also help with driveways and speed bumps.

Seems reasonable. I think as the CAD drawings don't show how this would be, I figured the rear spoiler would sit on the body deck similar to the C7 for a mild effect and then raise at speed for more DF. The front spoiler could sit raised at slow speed and slid out and down at speed to duct air better.

I also updated the view with new headlamps and side vent like the iso view.

thoughts?

Looking good! Interesting thought on active front aero... will be interesting to see if GM goes there.

On a side note (no pun intended), I'm wondering if the rear wrap-around tail lights can/will serve as the side markers. It may be a nice way for GM designers to "clean up" that area, and eliminate a historically unpopular item; although required by DOT, many owners black them out.

Keep up the great work!
Old 12-31-2017, 08:38 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

They are still on the quarter fenders in amber. in the rendering.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:29 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Yeah I saw that... what I'm wondering is if the wrap around tails can/will replace those side markers.

Last edited by FrankLP; 12-31-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:34 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I think they can.
They have on other cars at least.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:18 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankLP
Yeah I saw that... what I'm wondering is if the wrap around tails can/will replace those side markers.
Maybe the same with the front side marker. There is an cutout in the camo for a side marker high on the front fender.

Get notified of new replies

To Code name Zerv

Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
You have me pegged all wrong. I am just a guy who has always loved cars from the time I was 7 years old and fell in live with a 67 Stingray 427 cope that my neighbor purchased in 67.

I have had a love a fair with cars ever since. Bought my 1st Corvette at 16 years old. 73 roadster that was $3500.00 at the time.

I have been lucky enough to earn a good living in the automotive business.

So I don't drink don't do drugs or take expensive vacation.

What I do is treat myself to some of the finest cars in the world that are within my financial means.

I would like GM to show the world that they still can set the standard for the rest of the world as they did back in the Fifties and sixties.

I guarantee if you met me you have no idea that I had a small collection of sports card or owned expensive vehicle. Heck my daily is a Chevrolet Pickup.

So while we differ in what we want out of the future Corvette it sound like we both love Corvette and cars in general.

As far as the Ferrari forum I met a lot of guys just like me that bought a Ferrari because they love cars.

After all we can't take it with us. So maybe I am a little older and at the pint in life were I can finally treat myself. Kids grown and trough College. House finally paid off and lucky enough to be able to treat myself to some fun owing cars I have always wanted.
We share the passion for cars, but not quite the finances! Not yet anyways.

However I will admit that my father just bought a $450K car and I think it's insane to spend that much money on a car, even if it's pocket change for him (or you). I mean, he can't drive that Bentley anywhere except to a country club. You can't leave it out anywhere at all without worrying about it the entire time. And he isn't a billionaire either.

Here is the thing though, you already have about a dozen very expensive ME automobiles that you can personally choose from with fantastic capabilities and exclusivity. I, and I'm certain many others perusing this forum, are sort of middle class guys (and gals) that have 'made it' but we can't blow the kids college fund on a depreciating automobile. We too would like the opportunity to own, cruise, and track a, while not rare, very capable and affordable ME (the ideal!) sports car made by a mass production company. Which leads to affordability, parts, easy maintenance (try driving a Lambo cross country and needing maintenance in a pinch), and the comaraderie that we can share with other working stiffs like us.

The ultra exclusive car that you desire for GM to make, isn't in GMs best interest, isn't in the best interest of sports cars in general, and isn't in the best interest of most of the members on this very forum. Heck it isn't even in the best interest of the ultra-exclusive MEs that are out there.

So with all due respect, get off your "GM should make this car way too expensive for all except the uber wealthy" kick.

If for some reason you can't be content with an Italian exotic, then buy the top dog C8 and go drop $100K on it with our amazing vendors (a result of mass production and availability of the Corvette quite frankly) and build literally the highest performing street legal car on the planet.

I'll be tracking my ole '08 Z51, frankly passing up those ME exotics left and right, saving up for my C8.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:53 AM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did Zerv’s wings get clipped? Haven’t seen any more CAD leaks since Christmas...
Someone mentioned 60 people were let go due to the leaks, maybe that plugged the leak for now?
Old 01-07-2018, 01:02 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
We share the passion for cars, but not quite the finances! Not yet anyways.

However I will admit that my father just bought a $450K car and I think it's insane to spend that much money on a car, even if it's pocket change for him (or you). I mean, he can't drive that Bentley anywhere except to a country club. You can't leave it out anywhere at all without worrying about it the entire time. And he isn't a billionaire either.

Here is the thing though, you already have about a dozen very expensive ME automobiles that you can personally choose from with fantastic capabilities and exclusivity. I, and I'm certain many others perusing this forum, are sort of middle class guys (and gals) that have 'made it' but we can't blow the kids college fund on a depreciating automobile. We too would like the opportunity to own, cruise, and track a, while not rare, very capable and affordable ME (the ideal!) sports car made by a mass production company. Which leads to affordability, parts, easy maintenance (try driving a Lambo cross country and needing maintenance in a pinch), and the comaraderie that we can share with other working stiffs like us.

The ultra exclusive car that you desire for GM to make, isn't in GMs best interest, isn't in the best interest of sports cars in general, and isn't in the best interest of most of the members on this very forum. Heck it isn't even in the best interest of the ultra-exclusive MEs that are out there.

So with all due respect, get off your "GM should make this car way too expensive for all except the uber wealthy" kick.

If for some reason you can't be content with an Italian exotic, then buy the top dog C8 and go drop $100K on it with our amazing vendors (a result of mass production and availability of the Corvette quite frankly) and build literally the highest performing street legal car on the planet.

I'll be tracking my ole '08 Z51, frankly passing up those ME exotics left and right, saving up for my C8.

Good luck!
...I am available for adoption...

Quick Reply: Code name Zerv