Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code name Zerv

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:39 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Deleted post (no longer needed in view of others including the other “Code Named ZERV” thread).

Last edited by elegant; 02-14-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by rambo
In my opinion, having both a mid and a front engine version, where the mid engine is unaffordable to the average Corvette buyer, is a losing proposition. I'm not going to buy a secgond class Corvette with a front engine when a mid engine model exists. If I can't afford the mid engine Corvette, I'm out of the new Corvette market.
Odd. Ferrari doesn’t agree.
Attached Images   
The following 5 users liked this post by Dominic Sorresso:
dmaxx3500 (02-15-2018), Rapid Fred (02-15-2018), Shaka (02-14-2018), snow (02-15-2018), WKM (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:32 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
And this is supposed to mean what? That my suggestion is crazy?

Guys this is s marketing decision, one that for all we know isn't even made yet. The staff who works on the car is irreverent. Managers and Engineers work on multiple name plates at a time. There is no "mutually exclusive" Corvette Team.

In fact I can tell you the Steering D&R Engineer isn't the same for the C7/C8 and the ZERV.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:58 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Has anyone heard from or about ZERV recently?

Hope he is alright!
Old 02-15-2018, 12:44 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Odd. Ferrari doesn’t agree.

One of these is $250k+ the other is $400K+ so how does this comparison have an validity whatsoever?
Old 02-15-2018, 01:50 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by rambo
In my opinion, having both a mid and a front engine version, where the mid engine is unaffordable to the average Corvette buyer, is a losing proposition. I'm not going to buy a second class Corvette with a front engine when a mid engine model exists. If I can't afford the mid engine Corvette, I'm out of the new Corvette market.
I can see your point. However, I think the best plan for the Corvette is to have the traditional line up in the front engine format. A huge part of the Corvette's success and legacy it that it is a great grand touring car. Enough storage to pack for a road trip, or to even stop and get some groceries. This versatility to perform well on a track or your local twisties, as well as function very well as a daily commuter is at the heart of Corvette. I think there are a lot of folks out there that carry the opposite view, that if the classic grand touring car is not available, they will be shopping other cars.

I'm guessing that all of the money they put into the plant expansion is setting up for a dual assembly line. This mid engine car will be lower volume model, designed for the performance enthusiast. I imagine that they will offer it at various performance and trim levels, because after all, they know there are a lot folks like you that will want that car at a traditional Corvette pricing level.

What I think is really going to happen here is the mid engine car is going to be model unto itself, and not necessarily labeled as a "C8". I think the 8th generation car will be a traditional Corvette to be revealed a year or so after.
The following 5 users liked this post by lt4obsesses:
firstvettesoon (02-15-2018), Rapid Fred (02-15-2018), skank (05-13-2018), Telepierre (02-15-2018), tomlink (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:53 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

I know it was discussed earlier, but I can't remember.

You guys are so knowledgeable and experienced, I am curious:
What are the thoughts on the first cars released as far as power goes.?
I would think they need to put out a fairly robust version so the reviews aren't trounced. It "should" be competitive with the Turbo S we have seen it testing with. ?

What other bench-mark cars should it be compatible to, right out of the gate?

What has been gleaned from the CAD images of the power plant to date. Anything for sure?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I can see your point. However, I think the best plan for the Corvette is to have the traditional line up in the front engine format. A huge part of the Corvette's success and legacy it that it is a great grand touring car. Enough storage to pack for a road trip, or to even stop and get some groceries. This versatility to perform well on a track or your local twisties, as well as function very well as a daily commuter is at the heart of Corvette. I think there are a lot of folks out there that carry the opposite view, that if the classic grand touring car is not available, they will be shopping other cars.

I'm guessing that all of the money they put into the plant expansion is setting up for a dual assembly line. This mid engine car will be lower volume model, designed for the performance enthusiast. I imagine that they will offer it at various performance and trim levels, because after all, they know there are a lot folks like you that will want that car at a traditional Corvette pricing level.

What I think is really going to happen here is the mid engine car is going to be model unto itself, and not necessarily labeled as a "C8". I think the 8th generation car will be a traditional Corvette to be revealed a year or so after.
I imagine they can go both ways but can see this scenario as possible.

An FE version may have a market for the foreseeable future but maybe the numbers decline as the sales are split/cannibalized ?

I have heard the sales numbers are slipping right now on the C7 (?) but is this only because of the speculation and anticipation for the ME?

With a choice of both platforms, and the C(8) FE maintaining it's position, the ME could go a bit upscale, maybe starting at the z06 level? Power/price

Maybe you get the base Sting-Ray and GS in the FE. Then a z06 powered version ME as a base model? ...and then a super-car killer zr1 powered ME?

You guys are the experts...I'm just trying to learn.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 02-15-2018 at 02:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
Rapid Fred (02-15-2018), WKM (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
What other bench-mark cars should it be compatible to, right out of the gate?
911, the top end Boxster and Cayman, R8, NSX, maybe the Lotus Evora 400 and Evora GT430? Possibly the Huracan. I can't really think of any other sub-250k mid engine performance cars. It'll get compared to the higher end Italian stuff and the Ford GT, but those will be better matched against whatever high performance models come after launch.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:34 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I imagine they can go both ways but can see this scenario as possible.

An FE version may have a market for the foreseeable future but maybe the numbers decline as the sales are split/cannibalized ?

I have heard the sales numbers are slipping right now on the C7 (?) but is this only because of the speculation and anticipation for the ME?

With a choice of both platforms, and the C(8) FE maintaining it's position, the ME could go a bit upscale, maybe starting at the z06 level? Power/price

Maybe you get the base Sting-Ray and GS in the FE. Then a z06 powered version ME as a base model? ...and then a super-car killer zr1 powered ME?

You guys are the experts...I'm just trying to learn.

I think the reason for the slip is not as many people wanted the 2018 model when the 2019 could be ordered a couple months later. Also the plant shutdown made for slim pickings on what was out there instead of being able to order what you wanted.
firstvettesoon (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:02 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Based on past two generations, the first year power of a new gen is the lowest, but still thinking we shall see 500+ HP & TQ for the 2020 ME. Expect it to be 5.5L or 6.2L, a NA slightly-enhanced version of the LY1 — though with a new designation name.

Expect we shall see 4.2L and perhaps also 5.5L for year two (and if the 5.5L is not also released in year two, it would be held and released for year three. These latter two motors will be twin stage, twin turbo, DOHC.

Estimate of 625+HP/565 TQ for the 4.2L, and around 800 HP/700 TQ for the 5.5L
vettesweetnos (09-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp

One of these is $250k+ the other is $400K+ so how does this comparison have an validity whatsoever?
Why not? E Types and Vettes have been competing with the best of Europe for years. There are entry level front engined cars who's owners will be wealthy one day. The seeds have been sown for FE high end cars. Porsche has designed a new 928 and Chevy already has a $130g FE car. Corvettes tradition is no different from Ferrari. Vettes are our own E Types.

Last edited by Shaka; 02-15-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:46 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

The mid-engine car will be faster than a Ford GT. Because it will be faster than a ZR1.

The mid-engine isn't like normal generations, the lowest car isn't coming out first. Rather the car with the big engine is coming out. Because it has to slot in above the ZR1 as C7 production is not ceasing when the mid-engine comes out.

This is what I mean by marketing and different nameplates. The mid-engine is not a replacement for the current C7 corvette. It is a compliment for it. The C8 corvette comes later, and much to the hope of many here will remain a front engine car.

Now will the front engine version continue to have "go-fast" versions like the current Z06 and ZR1. Unlikely. I feel that Corvette as we know it gets put in a space under the mid-engine and over the V8 Camaro in terms of performance.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:50 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
The mid-engine car will be faster than a Ford GT. Because it will be faster than a ZR1.

The mid-engine isn't like normal generations, the lowest car isn't coming out first. Rather the car with the big engine is coming out. Because it has to slot in above the ZR1 as C7 production is not ceasing when the mid-engine comes out.

This is what I mean by marketing and different nameplates. The mid-engine is not a replacement for the current C7 corvette. It is a compliment for it. The C8 corvette comes later, and much to the hope of many here will remain a front engine car.

Now will the front engine version continue to have "go-fast" versions like the current Z06 and ZR1. Unlikely. I feel that Corvette as we know it gets put in a space under the mid-engine and over the V8 Camaro in terms of performance.
Based on the size of the brakes seen on the test mules this is incorrect. The mid-engine Corvette will start with a base model like previous generations with higher performance versions unveiled later in the generation.
The following 3 users liked this post by NewYuriCity:
Shaka (02-15-2018), VETTE-NV (02-15-2018), vettesweetnos (09-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:05 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
Based on the size of the brakes seen on the test mules this is incorrect. The mid-engine Corvette will start with a base model like previous generations with higher performance versions unveiled later in the generation.
The Z06 offers two brake options. So that reasoning is deeply flawed.

Remember, the mid-engine car is lighter than the C7 too.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:06 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
Since I do not know...

What about these brakes tells it will be a base model?

Will the up-scale versions be bigger? Different? Bigger rotor?

I used the front since the rear is less clear.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 02-15-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I agree with you on the ZR1. But I'm hopeful for a back to basics Z06, more like the C5 and C6 models were. A stripped down track weapon like the 2014 Camaro Z28.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff V.:
LT1 Z51 (02-15-2018), snow (02-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Code name Zerv

Old 02-15-2018, 05:07 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Since I do not know...

What about these brakes tells it will be a base model?

Will the up-scale versions be bigger? Different?

I used the front since the rear is less clear.
To me that picture confirms it, this is a non-argument brake size is fine. Remember the Z06 has two brake sizes. It's still one model.

Can they always add a bigger engine later? Sure, but this mid-engine car isn't coming out with some "base" car like people think it would. It's going to be ZR1 levels of performance and up.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:09 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I agree with you on the ZR1. But I'm hopeful for a back to basics Z06, more like the C5 and C6 models were. A stripped down track weapon like the 2014 Camaro Z28.
That would be nice to see. And maybe with the line-up division something more palatable.

I'm surprised there is no Z/28 for the current Alpha based Camaro. Some say the ZL1 1LE is it, I say it's still not the same thing.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:17 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

The Z06 offers two brake options. So that reasoning is deeply flawed.

Remember, the mid-engine car is lighter than the C7 too.
Brakes are relatively small front and back and only steel, non-slotted brakes have been seen on the mules. The current GS and Z06 are both available with slotted steel brakes or carbon ceramic, and considering no vehicle has been seen testing with either of these it is not going to be immediately available on the new model.
The following 2 users liked this post by NewYuriCity:
VETTE-NV (02-15-2018), vettesweetnos (09-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Code name Zerv