Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code name Zerv

Old 12-19-2017, 08:43 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by DanSavage
This one?

Whoa, to me it looks like an NA pushrod engine mounted in the middle of the car. The cats and air intake are on the same size of the engine which indicates mid engine. The valve covers are small which indicates pushrod. The intake manifold is really massive, like some of those aftermarket ones made for the LT1.

So then we have two power enablers on the C8 vs. C7 using LT1 engine, the headers and the intake manifold. GM is using the extra height and the extra width in ME chassis to allow the LT1 to breathe.

It is useful to look at a mid engine Ferrari 458 to see what's going on, notice how transmission, exhaust, intake are all at the back of the car, on one side of the engine. Same with this CAD, except the heads look smaller which means pushrod.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 12-19-2017 at 08:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SBC_and_a_stick:
bigblock427 (12-19-2017), elegant (12-20-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:42 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 913 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by DanSavage
This one?

That's the DOHC.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
That's the DOHC.
I thought the way the valve cover tapers in the bottom right suggest OHV, but I suppose it could be a head design that wraps around the cam and hence the tapering. We need another CAD with a view of the whole valve cover to solve this.

If this is the DOHC turbo then the turbos are not in the vee and that's a damn shame.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 12-19-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:59 PM
SSsedanM6
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
If this is the DOHC turbo then the turbos are not in the vee and that's a damn shame.
Turbos located in the vee make turbo swaps more challenging.......
Old 12-19-2017, 10:06 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SSsedanM6
Turbos located in the vee make turbo swaps more challenging.......
Well yes. But few will be doing that. One option for tuners is to just crank the boost on the stock turbos and replace them more often. The other option is to poke through the hood.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:43 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

[QUOTE=SBC_and_a_stick;1596213933]Whoa, to me it looks like an NA pushrod engine mounted in the middle of the car. The cats and air intake are on the same size of the engine which indicates mid engine. The valve covers are small which indicates pushrod. The intake manifold is really massive, like some of those aftermarket ones made for the LT1.

So then we have two power enablers on the C8 vs. C7 using LT1 engine, the headers and the intake manifold. GM is using the extra height and the extra width in ME chassis to allow the LT1 to breathe.

It is useful to look at a mid engine Ferrari 458 to see what's going on, notice how transmission, exhaust, intake are all at the back of the car, on one side of the engine. Same with this CAD, except the heads look smaller which means pushrod.

What I see in the CAD is a NA OHV engine with a "beauty" cover over the intake manifold with the air breather/MAF at the rear of the car located above the DCT.

I also take that to mean there is possibly no cargo area in the rear of the car(unlike the NSX and the Cayman/Boxster). That would leave a small cargo area in the front, which solidifies my believe that the front engine Corvette will still be built(too many of us like the huge cargo area of the front engine Corvette) concurrently with a mid engine model.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-20-2017 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 10:19 AM
atterbud
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Looking at the different CAD images, the transaxle in the earlier drawings is clearly not the same as the one in the latest image. It's hard to say if the engine itself is the same or not.

I also suspect that there will be trunk space at the back of the ME car to accommodate the "golf club" owners. That's why the rear overhang on the camo cars make it look like a pickup. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I see no other reason why the back end should be so high and long. That in itself may give some clues as to the intended target market and subsequently the likely pricing.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:44 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 913 Likes on 608 Posts

I thought the way the valve cover tapers in the bottom right suggest OHV, but I suppose it could be a head design that wraps around the cam and hence the tapering. We need another CAD with a view of the whole valve cover to solve this.

DOHC is not FI. It's an NA engine.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:27 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by atterbud
Looking at the different CAD images, the transaxle in the earlier drawings is clearly not the same as the one in the latest image.
What makes you say they're not the same?

IOW, what details are you seeing in the earlier renderings that's different in this latest one?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:38 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I'm curious as to what this "design element" could be in the C5 and what vehicle beat it to market.
With all respect, you say put the tin foil hats away and then don't give specifics about something that happened 3 generations ago.

In wheel knuckle design. The C5 was the first vehicle to be designed where the knuckle slipped around the wheel and the hub attachment was much closer to the wheel face. That drove the one sided brake calipers.

The more you move that the great the articulation you get on turning the wheel.

Trucks always have difficulty in turning radius so the '98 Durango had that same design even though the C5 had only been on the market a very short time. It was a huge competitive advantage due to small turning radius compared to other vehicles of its size.

1 generation or 3 generations, it is still the same. It is not intentional and due to the amount of detail they pulled in I doubt it will take them long, if not already, to find out who did it.

We had safe guards in place that if someone pulled in a lot of models at one time they got a phone call to explain what they were doing because there very rarely is a need to do so.

Last edited by NoOne; 12-20-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:04 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NoOne
In wheel knuckle design. The C5 was the first vehicle to be designed where the knuckle slipped around the wheel and the hub attachment was much closer to the wheel face. That drove the one sided brake calipers.

The more you move that the great the articulation you get on turning the wheel.

Trucks always have difficulty in turning radius so the '98 Durango had that same design even though the C5 had only been on the market a very short time. It was a huge competitive advantage due to small turning radius compared to other vehicles of its size.

1 generation or 3 generations, it is still the same. It is not intentional and due to the amount of detail they pulled in I doubt it will take them long, if not already, to find out who did it.

We had safe guards in place that if someone pulled in a lot of models at one time they got a phone call to explain what they were doing because there very rarely is a need to do so.
Reminds me of the time in the late 1960's when I had a company in Michigan building an automated induction heater for me. I went to their facility at the completion on my equipment to do some trial runs and when I walked into the manufacturing area there were pallets of cast iron heads(Ford) all over the place.

I asked the owner what they were doing for Ford, and he told me they were doing some research work for Ford on induction hardening of the valve seats, because of upcoming government regulations to do away with lead in our gasoline. That was he first time I had heard about getting rid of the lead in our gasoline.

I also saw something similar when I had another company in Michigan building some automated welding equipment for me and they had a bunch of equipment they were building for Oldsmobile to weld their torque convertors.

Surprising how others can see what is going on since many companies do business with companies that also supply the auto industry. At that time, the company I worked for was a supplier to Chrysler(but the equipment I was buying had nothing to do with the components we supplied to Chrysler.)

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-20-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

A new thread has been created for the debate of "Leak" or GM "Release".

CAD Drawings - Real "Leak" or GM Controlled?

Keep this thread for the discussion of what the CAD drawings reveal (or do not reveal). What can we learn about the ME from these?
The following 2 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
elegant (12-20-2017), jimmyb (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:52 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1596216500]
Whoa, to me it looks like an NA pushrod engine mounted in the middle of the car. The cats and air intake are on the same size of the engine which indicates mid engine. The valve covers are small which indicates pushrod. The intake manifold is really massive, like some of those aftermarket ones made for the LT1.

What I see in the CAD is a NA OHV engine with a "beauty" cover over the intake manifold with the air breather/MAF at the rear of the car located above the DCT.

I also take that to mean there is possibly no cargo area in the rear of the car(unlike the NSX and the Cayman/Boxster). That would leave a small cargo area in the front, which solidifies my believe that the front engine Corvette will still be built(too many of us like the huge cargo area of the front engine Corvette) concurrently with a mid engine model.
I think I can explain better with pictures. The CAD shoes an intake manifold like this:

Which is different than what the LT1 has, which is this:

Basically the runners are much longer. It's not just a beauty cover since you can see a gap between the runners in the CAD.

It's unclear from the CADs whether there is room for storage above/in front of the engine. It does not show interior trim. The intake manifold in the CAD is not giant, like the Ferrari 458 one I posted, so technically there may be some room left above the engine.

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
DOHC is not FI. It's an NA engine.
The leaks so far indicated that there is an NA OHV, Turbo 4.2 DOHC, and Turbo 5.5 DOHC. Are you saying there will also be a forth option, NA DOHC? I hope so, but this is the first I hear of it.
vettesweetnos (09-13-2021)
Old 12-20-2017, 02:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

[QUOTE=SBC_and_a_stick;1596218278]
Originally Posted by JoesC5

I think I can explain better with pictures. The CAD shoes an intake manifold like this:

Which is different than what the LT1 has, which is this:

Basically the runners are much longer. It's not just a beauty cover since you can see a gap between the runners in the CAD.

It's unclear from the CADs whether there is room for storage above/in front of the engine. It does not show interior trim. The intake manifold in the CAD is not giant, like the Ferrari 458 one I posted, so technically there may be some room left above the engine.

The leaks so far indicated that there is an NA OHV, Turbo 4.2 DOHC, and Turbo 5.5 DOHC. Are you saying there will also be a forth option, NA DOHC? I hope so, but this is the first I hear of it.
I believe it is a "beauty" cover that covers the intake manifold as you can clearly see the attachment tabs and the hex heads of the attaching fasteners, on each side of the cover.

What it covers(an old design LT1 intake manifold or a new design intake manifold) is irrelevant.

It's no different from the carbon fiber "beauty" cover on the LT5 engine on the new ZR1 that covers the top of the supercharger/intercooler.

As for a cargo area, the air breather does extend over the top of the transaxle housing in the rear of the car along with the CATS on each side of it, taking up a lot of space. I don't think there is enough room of much of a cargo box, if there is one. No way can there be a cargo area above the engine, and I doubt if there is in front of the engine between the engine and the rear passenger bulkhead. Not only do you have a long engine there is a lot of accessary drives in front of the engine, and the gas tanks have to be squeezed in there also. I suspect the battery has to be in the rear of the car also along with the dry sump reservoir.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-20-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:17 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1596218440]

I believe it is a "beauty" cover that covers the intake manifold as you can clearly see the attachment tabs and the hex heads of the attaching fasteners, on each side of the cover.

What it covers(an old design LT1 intake manifold or a new design intake manifold) is irrelevant.

It's no different from the carbon fiber "beauty" cover on the LT5 engine on the new ZR1 that covers the top of the supercharger/intercooler.

As for a cargo area, the air breather does extend over the top of the transaxle housing in the rear of the car along with the CATS on each side of it, taking up a lot of space. I don't think there is enough room of much of a cargo box, if there is one. No way can there be a cargo area above the engine, and I doubt if there is in front of the engine between the engine and the rear passenger bulkhead. Not only do you have a long engine there is a lot of accessary drives in front of the engine, and the gas tanks have to be squeezed in there also. I suspect the battery has to be in the rear of the car also along with the dry sump reservoir.
You say "What it covers(an old design LT1 intake manifold or a new design intake manifold) is irrelevant." To me, whether they revised the intake manifold itself is what is important, for better throttle response, for more power, for even cylinder distribution. To me, whether it has a cover or not is the irrelevant bit.

The 570 McLaren has giant runners, a la Ferrari, and still has storage space on top.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

[QUOTE=SBC_and_a_stick;1596218839]
Originally Posted by JoesC5

The 570 McLaren has giant runners, a la Ferrari, and still has storage space on top.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...13888511341700

I'm not sure that what I saw scrolling thru the above link is what most people are thinking of when it comes to "storage space." And the 5 cubic feet up front won't carry anything, really...
Old 12-20-2017, 04:05 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by atterbud
Looking at the different CAD images, the transaxle in the earlier drawings is clearly not the same as the one in the latest image. It's hard to say if the engine itself is the same or not.

I also suspect that there will be trunk space at the back of the ME car to accommodate the "golf club" owners. That's why the rear overhang on the camo cars make it look like a pickup. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I see no other reason why the back end should be so high and long. That in itself may give some clues as to the intended target market and subsequently the likely pricing.
GM has done it before but with a transverse mounted engine. Spec’d to hold two golf bags or at least one chubby kid. I suspect they want to continue the tradition.

“12x43 (trunk gasket to trunk gasket)x22 in deep at the top. The trunk was designed to hold two sets of golf clubs. These were the measurments for my 87 GT. The lower portion of the trunk is 34.5 inches wide with the front sloping down to 8 in at the bottom of the trunk.”

Get notified of new replies

To Code name Zerv

Old 12-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
GM has done it before but with a transverse mounted engine. Spec’d to hold two golf bags or at least one chubby kid. I suspect they want to continue the tradition.

“12x43 (trunk gasket to trunk gasket)x22 in deep at the top. The trunk was designed to hold two sets of golf clubs. These were the measurments for my 87 GT. The lower portion of the trunk is 34.5 inches wide with the front sloping down to 8 in at the bottom of the trunk.”

Sunday bags, maybe -- and nothing else!!!!

Can't wait to see what they actually come up with. For now, just fun debating on a cold day...
CRABBYJ (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 04:49 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

[QUOTE=Atomic Fred;1596219030]

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...13888511341700

I'm not sure that what I saw scrolling thru the above link is what most people are thinking of when it comes to "storage space." And the 5 cubic feet up front won't carry anything, really...
That's right, no room for full size suitcase like the C7. Some sacrifices have to be made with ME.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:23 PM
cobra502
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's my answer! Probably won't find one big enough for your golf clubs.

https://ziploc.com/en/products/close...bag-large-flat

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code name Zerv