Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code name Zerv

Old 12-26-2017, 11:29 AM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 327 Likes on 156 Posts

No intercooler? I assume there's some kind of heat exchanger in the Plenum?
Old 12-26-2017, 11:33 AM
f300v10
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the intake flow path, I don't see an intercooler. The only possible location is for it to be integrated into the intake manifold, but the volume doesn't appear sufficient. Am I missing something?
Old 12-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
You don't need a tunnel that large for coolant and electrical routing. That thing looks as big as the C7 tunnel and that has the exhaust pipes and torque tube which really take up the space.
Could it duct air to the rear?
Old 12-26-2017, 11:37 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by f-16pilotTX
Well, we definitely know now we are not getting the traditional quad tip, center location exhaust....
absolutely matches what we see here:

The following 2 users liked this post by FrankLP:
Rapid Fred (12-26-2017), sunsalem (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 01:33 PM
downhil
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ-92
No intercooler? I assume there's some kind of heat exchanger in the Plenum?
The intercooler is in the purple component, just like the TT CT6 engine.

The following 3 users liked this post by downhil:
RJ-92 (12-26-2017), rlhmarines (12-26-2017), Shaka (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 02:20 PM
rlhmarines
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by downhil

Thanks, this is what I was thinking also.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:33 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Cool top of the line motor yet I am still holding hope that a 500 hp LT1 ohv naturally aspirated v8 is offered for those of us who don't want to spend a small fortune for any car...

500 hp rear mid engine with a dct and or a manual transmission with a lift off roof and I'm good.

Leave the dohc twin turbos to those guys who love to spend 120 grand or more on their cars..

Ohv engines in current and recent corvettes rock...

Forced induction is awesome for those that want more than five hundred horsepower...and all that comes with it.

Thanks for posting up all this cool information and photos...

I don't want to pay for the forced induction Dohc motor and all the service requirements it could potientially have over time...

I like the reliable low cost to purchase and maintain, not to mention durable lbs and LT1 powertrains...

Just lift up the peak on the LT1 a little bit so it reaches 500 hp and we are good to go for a standard motor...

Allow those who want to spend more on forced induction to do so with ease...

The current c7 ranges from 55 to 140 grand...I want the c8 rear mid engine give or take a few grand to mimic those pricing guidelines...
The following 3 users liked this post by JerriVette:
got2bblu (12-26-2017), Suns_PSD (01-01-2018), Telepierre (01-22-2018)
Old 12-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankLP
absolutely matches what we see here:

Last edited by Shaka; 12-26-2017 at 04:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
skank (12-27-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 02:37 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

No hot vee, better hope GM has some patented anti-lag trickery in there somewhere.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:54 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

As a matter of fact, GM has patented a twin-stage twin-turbo for just that purpose, as in:

http://us.pressfrom.com/autos/enthus...in-turbo-tech/
Attached Images  

Last edited by elegant; 12-26-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:02 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by elegant
As a matter of fact, GM has patented a twin-stage twin-turbo for just that purpose, as in:

http://us.pressfrom.com/autos/enthus...in-turbo-tech/
Ok, but how does the CAD jive with this system? I see two equal sized turbos in the CAD not a high pressure and a low pressure unit in series. There is no way the CAD embodies the patent.
The following 2 users liked this post by SBC_and_a_stick:
Shaka (12-26-2017), skank (12-27-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 03:02 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Please GM, don't make this thing ugly!
Old 12-26-2017, 03:20 PM
rlhmarines
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Ok, but how does the CAD jive with this system? I see two equal sized turbos in the CAD not a high pressure and a low pressure unit in series. There is no way the CAD embodies the patent.
I'm thinking that the smaller turbo is pictured in red just before the larger turbo in grey, but it could be that I'm just seeing things.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2017, 03:27 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rlhmarines
I'm thinking that the smaller turbo is pictured in red just before the larger turbo in grey, but it could be that I'm just seeing things.
That's the hot side of the turbo:

The following 2 users liked this post by SBC_and_a_stick:
rlhmarines (12-26-2017), skank (12-27-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 03:35 PM
rlhmarines
Intermediate

That's the hot side of the turbo:

Thanks for the explanation and diagram.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:36 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Cool top of the line motor yet I am still holding hope that a 500 hp LT1 ohv naturally aspirated v8 is offered for those of us who don't want to spend a small fortune for any car...

500 hp rear mid engine with a dct and or a manual transmission with a lift off roof and I'm good.

Leave the dohc twin turbos to those guys who love to spend 120 grand or more on their cars..

Ohv engines in current and recent corvettes rock...

Forced induction is awesome for those that want more than five hundred horsepower...and all that comes with it.

Thanks for posting up all this cool information and photos...

I don't want to pay for the forced induction Dohc motor and all the service requirements it could potientially have over time...

I like the reliable low cost to purchase and maintain, not to mention durable lbs and LT1 powertrains...

Just lift up the peak on the LT1 a little bit so it reaches 500 hp and we are good to go for a standard motor...

Allow those who want to spend more on forced induction to do so with ease...

The current c7 ranges from 55 to 140 grand...I want the c8 rear mid engine give or take a few grand to mimic those pricing guidelines...
I sure hope you don't get your wish. Why would GM have 2 different vehicles in the Corvette line up with pricing that mirrors one another.

I am just the opposite in what I want to see. I like a world class super car not constrained by entry level materials to keep cost down but instead GM give us the latest and greatest technology both while composing the chassis & body and while selecting interior material and then charge your customer for what you have built.
A no compromised super car with the best material and technology available.

Those who want a 500 hp level entry vehicle to Corvette line up you already have that in the C7 Stingray & Grand Sport.

There are your entry level Corvette. There are your Corvette with manual transmission.

Just the DCT alone on the rear mid is going to add 8 to 10k to the price of the car.

We wonder why we don't get Porsche or MB or Audi levels of interior quality. Well we want all the performance and feature but then want it done on a budget.

What your asking for is another compromised Corvette when you ask for a 60k mid rear engine with DCT.

I for one would like to be able to buy a world class super car made by GM. I fully expect that it be 10k plus than the current C7Zr1.

I sure as hell don't want another 100k offing with the same interior materials offer in the 60k vehicle as now is the case.

We can't ask for a super car and then expect not to have to pay for the super car.

If the top of the line Corvette Zora or whatever it's called comes in at 150k it's still 100k less than Ferrari 488 or Lamborghini Hurcan and 40k less than a 911 turbo.

Do you really want GM to cut that many cornera that they can build and sell it at 100k or less.

If you do your asking for more of the same. AND REVIEWS THAT REAR LIKE THIS.

Corvette has great performance and is a world class value. That lacks the refinement of European competition and cannot be compared to Porsche, Lamborghini or Ferrari .

This is exactly the review on the exciting C7 why do we need another compromised GM sports car.

Had GM offered a DCT for an added 10k in my Z06 I would have gladly paid for that technology.

I hope the front engine rear drive GT layout lives on as the entry level Vett offered at 60k and the top of line C8 is a true no compromised top of line super car.

Then GM has everyone covered from 60k to 150k plus plus plus. Again I have no interest in my 150k car to have the same materials and build quality of the interior and exterior as the guys who paid 60k.

There is more to a premium super car than the horse power and track numbers. It's the total experience that's sets apart Ferrari & Lamborghini and Porsche & Audi.

The following users liked this post:
JDMilw (12-28-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

No hot vee, better hope GM has some patented anti-lag trickery in there somewhere.
Turbos have come a long way. Turbo lag is really only found in sub-$23,000 Vehicles that use turbochargers for advertising and downsizing. Higher displacement engines put out more exhaust gases and therefore spool up Turbos faster. And with two throttle bodies instead of one, the car should rev from 1000rpm to redline much quicker, also reducing turbo lag. Those appear to be decent size turbos, maybe somewhere around 55mm. I’m curious to see it they’re going to use boost by gear. It’s a common thing in drag builds and can also be found McLarens. Some of us want a naturally aspirated V8, but what about a Naturally aspirated V10 as well? GM would never do it, but a 5-liter N/A DOHC V10 with a high(9000rpm) redline would be epic. It worked with the Lexus LFA.

Get notified of new replies

To Code name Zerv

Old 12-26-2017, 04:05 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

I agree with vetteman41960 for all the reasons he stated, plus I don't want to see 10,000 of them on the road everywhere I look. I want it to be like spotting a unicorn.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:19 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
I sure hope you don't get your wish. Why would GM have 2 different vehicles in the Corvette line up with pricing that mirrors one another.

I am just the opposite in what I want to see. I like a world class super car not constrained by entry level materials to keep cost down but instead GM give us the latest and greatest technology both while composing the chassis & body and while selecting interior material and then charge your customer for what you have built.
A no compromised super car with the best material and technology available.

Those who want a 500 hp level entry vehicle to Corvette line up you already have that in the C7 Stingray & Grand Sport.

There are your entry level Corvette. There are your Corvette with manual transmission.

Just the DCT alone on the rear mid is going to add 8 to 10k to the price of the car.

We wonder why we don't get Porsche or MB or Audi levels of interior quality. Well we want all the performance and feature but then want it done on a budget.

What your asking for is another compromised Corvette when you ask for a 60k mid rear engine with DCT.

I for one would like to be able to buy a world class super car made by GM. I fully expect that it be 10k plus than the current C7Zr1.

I sure as hell don't want another 100k offing with the same interior materials offer in the 60k vehicle as now is the case.

We can't ask for a super car and then expect not to have to pay for the super car.

If the top of the line Corvette Zora or whatever it's called comes in at 150k it's still 100k less than Ferrari 488 or Lamborghini Hurcan and 40k less than a 911 turbo.

Do you really want GM to cut that many cornera that they can build and sell it at 100k or less.

If you do your asking for more of the same. AND REVIEWS THAT REAR LIKE THIS.

Corvette has great performance and is a world class value. That lacks the refinement of European competition and cannot be compared to Porsche, Lamborghini or Ferrari .

This is exactly the review on the exciting C7 why do we need another compromised GM sports car.

Had GM offered a DCT for an added 10k in my Z06 I would have gladly paid for that technology.

I hope the front engine rear drive GT layout lives on as the entry level Vett offered at 60k and the top of line C8 is a true no compromised top of line super car.

Then GM has everyone covered from 60k to 150k plus plus plus. Again I have no interest in my 150k car to have the same materials and build quality of the interior and exterior as the guys who paid 60k.

There is more to a premium super car than the horse power and track numbers. It's the total experience that's sets apart Ferrari & Lamborghini and Porsche & Audi.

Hey buddy...I don't have a problem having GM building you a 140 grand twinturbo corvette..it's cool as hell..

There is always the options packages of 1LT, 2Lt, 3Lt and I think there is even room for big spenders like you to get a 4LT interiors lathered with soft supple leathers and carbon fibers if that's your thing..

I don't want to drop the coin for twin turbo blah blah blah..I got better things to spend my money on..

That said...a 500 hp naturally aspirated LT1 v8 set mid ship in the rear of this new beauty with a dct and I'll pay whatever GM wants to charge for the dct so slow your roll...it's probably the same 4 grand or so that Porsche charges tops..

Let me have that targa roof panel that slides back behind the seats or allows me to lift it off.,.i don't care which...

And I'll drop what you so proudly call cheap...

I always hear these words inexpensive, cheap when discussing a 60 grand plus sports car ...

Give me a break already...

I could buy a dosen or more zr1 s for cash if I wanted...

Not everybody jerks off to 6 figure sports cars

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-26-2017 at 04:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
Suns_PSD (01-01-2018), WKM (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 04:34 PM
cobra502
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by downhil

This way you can see a little more detail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code name Zerv