Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arguments on Corvette vs Cadillac ME after recent CAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 AM
f-16pilotTX
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Arguments on Corvette vs Cadillac ME after recent CAD

My Apologies forward for beating a dead horse but I feel this is a decent thread to “restart”.

I have observed many forum members stating they truely do believe this “mid engine Corvette” will be a Cadillac. As silly as this sounds, the exhaust tips on the mule do represent a Cadillac style as compared to Corvette but that is a bad assumption. I also though the high performance Cadillac project was cancelled (see North American engine forecast”. So, what do you think?

Cheers,
Austin
Old 12-28-2017, 07:49 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Austin..the Cadillac is in a free fall. After GM brought in johan De Nysschen to literally mimic his successful turn around at Audi....

His moving Cadillac headquarters to NY city which was a smart move, his pricing structure shift to create a more affluent brand image failed. Consumers balked not because they didn't have the money to purchase but the value equation for luxury transport no longer registered as appropriate irregardless of the product...

The unique Audi R8 model that de Nysschen has become somewhat overshadowed by the growing trend of halo cuv s ..the do it all product that consumers now are willing to pay for.

All that said..the previous investment at bowling green looks to have been partially or even massively funded by the Cadillac division budget so I personally anticipate the rear mid engine Cadillac will be offered in extremely small volumes and have the required staggered launch compared to the corvette to maximize brand awareness impact and allow the marketing teams to differiante clientele.

I would suggest the onslaught of corvette rear mid engine media coverage to be massively successful and then in 12 months see the production Cadillac version slathered in leather an drew carbon fiber etc to generate the positive public perception of the Cadillac brand so desperately needs to more effectively take on the Germans in the (now shrinking) sedan and now expanding and profitable luxury CUV market

All that said...12 months and the Cadillac rear mid engine sports luxury vehiclewill appear as my guesstimate...

It'll be amazing ...and priced way higher than the base corvette if not double or triple....but this time it will be worth it and not another XLR like failure.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 10:42 AM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

The red bumpers from the paint shop sure look like they belong on a Corvette and not on a Cadillac. They appear to be the same bumpers that are on the cars in the McDonald's. Perhaps as someone suggested a Cadillac version will come out later.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:47 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

The first one out of the box needs to be a Corvette.

And it needs to be named Zora.
The following 3 users liked this post by OnPoint:
Larshelt (12-29-2017), PurpleLion (12-28-2017), Rapid Fred (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 11:00 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

FWIW:

All of what I heard 10+ days ago from GM staff and those who are connected “at the hip,” said Corvette for 2020. This was different from what I used to hear years earlier, when Cadillac was mentioned as often as Corvette — but Cadillac is not mentioned by almost all lately. Exception: About six months ago, one person said he could not rule out a future Cadillac version.

Not a one is even whispering since the CAD leaks — other than we still talk about the weather, upcoming vacation plans, etc. I do not now ask, nor even hint, about product info, for I do not want to jeopardize anyone.

Last edited by elegant; 12-28-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:34 AM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Austin..the Cadillac is in a free fall. After GM brought in johan De Nysschen to literally mimic his successful turn around at Audi....

His moving Cadillac headquarters to NY city which was a smart move, his pricing structure shift to create a more affluent brand image failed. Consumers balked not because they didn't have the money to purchase but the value equation for luxury transport no longer registered as appropriate irregardless of the product...

The unique Audi R8 model that de Nysschen has become somewhat overshadowed by the growing trend of halo cuv s ..the do it all product that consumers now are willing to pay for.

All that said..the previous investment at bowling green looks to have been partially or even massively funded by the Cadillac division budget so I personally anticipate the rear mid engine Cadillac will be offered in extremely small volumes and have the required staggered launch compared to the corvette to maximize brand awareness impact and allow the marketing teams to differiante clientele.

I would suggest the onslaught of corvette rear mid engine media coverage to be massively successful and then in 12 months see the production Cadillac version slathered in leather an drew carbon fiber etc to generate the positive public perception of the Cadillac brand so desperately needs to more effectively take on the Germans in the (now shrinking) sedan and now expanding and profitable luxury CUV market

All that said...12 months and the Cadillac rear mid engine sports luxury vehiclewill appear as my guesstimate...

It'll be amazing ...and priced way higher than the base corvette if not double or triple....but this time it will be worth it and not another XLR like failure.
Well said.
JerriVette (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 11:57 AM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

Hold on, how is de Nyscchen a failure? He started at Cadillac just over 3 years ago, so any actual new products are probably still a year or two away. Plus the pricing structure isn’t a short term solution, it’s meant to stop the dilution of the brand and help resale value which should help improve the value of future models. Anyway, I would be very surprised if the first mid-engine car is a Cadillac, particularly if it uses the LT1 that the CADs and engine forecast seem to support. If Cadillac were to get a mid-engine sports car I would expect it to at minimum be a hybrid if not fully electric luxury super car in the $200k price range, introduced a few years after the C8 Corvette, as Cadillac is aiming to be at the forefront of technology within the automotive world. Of course this is just my speculation, but this is what makes sense to me.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:06 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
The first one out of the box needs to be a Corvette.

And it needs to be named Zora.
Agreed, it really is that simple.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:26 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

There are only a handful of people on here that are very hard up for a Cadillac version and they keep repeating or hinting their desires over and over. They should perhaps go to a Cadillac forum (if there is one?)

Although I wish the best for Cadillac I for one couldn't care less about it! The Corvette is GM's Halo car and has many more affluent buyers/enthusiast than any Cadillac could dream of with perhaps the Escallade being the exception due to its niche market. The Corvette also has a worldwide following and respect along with a rich racing history! GM can toy with the idea of a Cadillac version perhaps down the line just to try to pump some enthusiasm into the product but I doubt it will be a success and last more than couple of years.

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 12-29-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:43 PM
eyedeekay
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Why not just both? Maybe their will be a corvette line and a Cadillac line sharing the same chassis, like the 300c and charger?
JerriVette (12-28-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 12:06 AM
elegant
Safety Car

All those who are still thinking a ME Cadillac is coming, is it not interesting that the MarkIt North American Engine Forecast shows a 2016-through-2024 model year quantity for a V-8 Cadillac Sports Car quantity of zero/0/none.

Conversely it shows a mid engine Corvette, starting in 2019 with thousands of units of having a 32V, DOHC 4.2L and also thousand of units of 32V, DOHC 5.5L V-8’s. This is consistent with our just seeing a picture of twin-turbo V-8 postion in a mid-engine configuration.

To still push the opinion and wish of a Cadillac ME leaves, IMO, only five options:

1) The Cadillac ME will have a traditional gas combustion V-6 motor while the Corvette ME will have V-8’s. IMO, the chances against this happening are astronomical;

OR:

2) The Cadillac ME will either have a V-10 or a V-12. IMO, the chances against this happening are astronomical:

OR:

3) The NA Engine Forecast is wrong in stating that there will not be a Cadillac V-8 ME all the way through 2024. We are not seeing a history of the Forecast being wrong, but certainly its “zero” Cadillac ME production prediction could be in error;

OR:

4) The “Forecast” Cadillac ME V-8 prediction of zero units is/would be accurate if the ME Cadillac would be hybrid powered (perhaps having a V-4 or a V-6 as one of its major components such as a Volt type powertrain). However, we have just seen the recently-announced automotive media conclude that the Volt, in a couple of years, will become extinct;

OR:

5) The ME Cadillac is purely an all electric vehicle. I could buy this as an option, but if so, I would not buy the car.

Just some things to ponder...

Last edited by elegant; 12-29-2017 at 12:08 AM.
firstvettesoon (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 07:47 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Here a GM Authority that argues there the ME is a Corvette, not Cadillac. It was written ten months ago. One point of new info, and that is as shown in latest ME McDonald’s mule, I see more “Cadillac tailpipes” than I do “Corvette tailpipes” — though as we know that is one of the easiest mule parts to later change.

However, there are some other valid points in this article worth considering.

Originally Posted by GM Authority
There’s Simply No Way The Mid-Engine Corvette Is A Cadillac (By Sean Szymkowski)

Since whispers of a mid-engine sports car from Chevrolet, and specifically Corvette, came about, theorists have long thought this is actually a mid-engine Cadillac supercar. While we won’t rule out the idea of an ultra-exotic supercar from Cadillac in the future, we’re calling it: this is no Cadillac, it’s a Corvette.

The most recent spy shots of what is presumably the C8 Corvette offer plenty of clues to back up our judgment. Specifically, if you look closely enough, the rear end and taillights scream Corvette. Not a single design cue this early on points to Cadillac.

Plus, Cadillac is quite busy itself as it continues to develop a slew of crossovers in a dry portfolio of sedans. A supercar simply isn’t on Cadillac’s radar at this point in time.

And there’s too much evidence that points to a Corvette as well. Trademarks have listed Corvette associated names for years, pointing to revolutionary changes afoot. In contrast, nothing has been filed to conjure thoughts of Cadillac. The mid-engine prototype has also kept close company with other Corvettes during testing.

Could we be completely wrong? Absolutely. But, we don’t think we are. The real question is how the Corvette team will approach a mid-engine car. Will the front engine Corvette live on alongside it? Or, is it mid-engine or bust in the near future? Those are questions we will likely have answers to in the coming year.
Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/02/...#ixzz52hUl4N3c

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/02/...#ixzz52hUfiQbF
Old 12-29-2017, 09:13 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Cadillac's very successful return to racing suggests they could benefit by marketing a high performance sports car. I believe there is a high probability we will see one. I don't think GM doubled the size of the BG plant for Chevrolet alone. Time will tell.
daleong (01-05-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 12:03 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

4) The “Forecast” Cadillac ME V-8 prediction of zero units is/would be accurate if the ME Cadillac would be hybrid powered (perhaps having a V-4 or a V-6 as one of its major components such as a Volt type powertrain). However, we have just seen the recently-announced automotive media conclude that the Volt, in a couple of years, will become extinct;
I choose #4.
The Cadillac ME will be a V6 TT Hybrid.
V8s will end up in the Corvette version.
elegant (12-30-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 06:46 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
FWIW:

All of what I heard 10+ days ago from GM staff and those who are connected “at the hip,” said Corvette for 2020. This was different from what I used to hear years earlier, when Cadillac was mentioned as often as Corvette — but Cadillac is not mentioned by almost all lately. Exception: About six months ago, one person said he could not rule out a future Cadillac version.

Not a one is even whispering since the CAD leaks — other than we still talk about the weather, upcoming vacation plans, etc. I do not now ask, nor even hint, about product info, for I do not want to jeopardize anyone.

MT says Juechter wouldn't confirm any details about the 2018 ME although it's the WORST kept secret in GM's hallways
Old 12-31-2017, 06:50 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
There are only a handful of people on here that are very hard up for a Cadillac version and they keep repeating or hinting their desires over and over. They should perhaps go to a Cadillac forum (if there is one?)

Although I wish the best for Cadillac I for one couldn't care less about it! The Corvette is GM's Halo car and has many more affluent buyers/enthusiast than any Cadillac could dream of with perhaps the Escallade being the exception due to its niche market. The Corvette also has a worldwide following and respect along with a rich racing history! GM can toy with the idea of a Cadillac version perhaps down the line just to try to pump some enthusiasm into the product but I doubt it will be a success and last more than couple of years.

Every time I see an ESCALADE I think of a Chevy Suburban. Their cars are just to big for me. I like the 2 door is it a CTS with the 640 hp though still big for me
Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 PM
rlhmarines
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Every time I see an ESCALADE I think of a Chevy Suburban. Their cars are just to big for me. I like the 2 door is it a CTS with the 640 hp though still big for me
You need to get out more....Cadillacs cars are similar in size to any of your mainstream luxury lineup offered by the europeans.

Get notified of new replies

To Arguments on Corvette vs Cadillac ME after recent CAD

Old 01-01-2018, 12:57 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

So the current thinking is that the C8 is the ME and they are not two separate cars?
Old 01-01-2018, 02:49 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The FE guys want it to be true, but there has been no confirmation from GM.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:16 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by f-16pilotTX
My Apologies forward for beating a dead horse but I feel this is a decent thread to “restart”.

I have observed many forum members stating they truely do believe this “mid engine Corvette” will be a Cadillac. As silly as this sounds, the exhaust tips on the mule do represent a Cadillac style as compared to Corvette but that is a bad assumption. I also though the high performance Cadillac project was cancelled (see North American engine forecast”. So, what do you think?

Cheers,
Austin
i think that Corvette should just be under Cadillac
Cadillac Corvette even sounds a little classier imo.

after the Allante and XLR duds, you would think GM would have learned their lesson.

Quick Reply: Arguments on Corvette vs Cadillac ME after recent CAD