Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 design sketch

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:06 PM
jtecho
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default C8 design sketch

​​​​​​​After loads of pics and spy shots and even renders of the C8, i’ve finally gotten a basic sketch of what it will look like! and boy is it gonna be a looker!
The following 3 users liked this post by jtecho:
ChevyRunsDeep (01-07-2018), JerriVette (01-07-2018), rcooper (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:37 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Good job. I like it.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 09:29 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

I think that’s the gist of it.
JerriVette (01-07-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 12:02 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by jtecho
​​​​​​​After loads of pics and spy shots and even renders of the C8, i’ve finally gotten a basic sketch of what it will look like! and boy is it gonna be a looker!
You've "finally gotten?" As in, discovered, found, purloined?

Looks great; can you provide evidence it is somehow connected to design/development of the C8? I see something that really does continue the evolution reperesented by the C7.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:20 AM
jtecho
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
You've "finally gotten?" As in, discovered, found, purloined?

Looks great; can you provide evidence it is somehow connected to design/development of the C8? I see something that really does continue the evolution reperesented by the C7.

Well the evidence is all of the spy shots by photographers as well as some photoshopping to get some more lines and details out of the heavily camouflaged test mules. So far i feel there really isn't any render even on the fourms that fit what the C8 will look like. Expect it to look like an evolved C7 vette or almost like a mid cycle refresh of the c7 but with a whole new chassis an a few unique design cues
Old 01-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Well the evidence is all of the spy shots by photographers as well as some photoshopping to get some more lines and details out of the heavily camouflaged test mules. So far i feel there really isn't any render even on the fourms that fit what the C8 will look like. Expect it to look like an evolved C7 vette or almost like a mid cycle refresh of the c7 but with a whole new chassis an a few unique design cues
There are very definite cues in all the data published and your scribble does not even come close to incorporating any of them.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:00 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Shaka
There are very definite cues in all the data published and your scribble does not even come close to incorporating any of them.

Sorry, but this "sketch" doesn't depict "...what it will look like" any more than the spy pics... which actually do a better job of depicting what it might look like.

This "sketch" is more akin to a Graphic Artist's attempt at beginning to create a "simple line-art" logo... that ends up kinda like this:

Last edited by FrankLP; 01-08-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Shaka (01-09-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 07:39 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

As JTecho said, it's a stylized design sketch similar to some that I imagine were the beginnings of the ME. Loose impression of the "feel" of the car. Fun to see. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:13 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

that's an interesting comment. thanks.

would you rate the design pretty, traditional, evolutionary or futuristic? or any combination thereof, or other terms you might find mora accurate.

is there 3 feet of front overhang? unfortunately i can answer that myself from the photos!

Last edited by senah; 01-09-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:19 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Shaka is a tough crowd.!
Old 01-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Shaka is a tough crowd.!
I was defending you. JTecho saw fit to write this dribble to support his scribble, " So far i feel there really isn't any render even on the fourms that fit what the C8 will look like. Expect it to look like an evolved C7 vette or almost like a mid cycle refresh of the c7 but with a whole new chassis an a few unique design cues."
This discounts all your hard work you have done to 'uncover' the car. Why, I didn't see those grooves on your car's roof until I saw the Holden mule.
To start a new thread with the 'artist's' impressionist rendering is one thing, but to follow up with this condescending comment goes beyond accepted protocol. Had his artwork appeared within an existing thread, it would have been pleasant and amusing. I hope what I see is completely wrong.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So, this is your creation and not something from GM

I like the theme, though -- if the real thing does have this feel I think it will be killer.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Shaka is a tough crowd.!
Been on my ignore list for years...
Old 01-09-2018, 11:44 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FrankLP

Sorry, but this "sketch" doesn't depict "...what it will look like" any more than the spy pics... which actually do a better job of depicting what it might look like.

This "sketch" is more akin to a Graphic Artist's attempt at beginning to create a "simple line-art" logo... that ends up kinda like this:

Interesting -- I have exactly the opposite take. The spy shots are heavily distorted with styrofoam and I am not convinced the renders really get it. Unfortunately, the sketch is just a guess like the rest of what we've been chatting about thus far. It just really appeals to my imagination, though.

Going further, I'd say the official C7 sketch you show is more representative of the C7 than 90% of what we saw on here 6 years ago before it came out (except of course the Jalopnik stuff which was spot-on despite the "official" denials from the Corvette reps...)
Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Z06C5
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lookiing forward to the true reveal!

After many years away, the new ME C8 will be bringing me back to the club. I hope it looks as good as some of the renderings...
Old 01-09-2018, 12:46 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

I was defending you. JTecho saw fit to write this dribble to support his scribble, " So far i feel there really isn't any render even on the fourms that fit what the C8 will look like. Expect it to look like an evolved C7 vette or almost like a mid cycle refresh of the c7 but with a whole new chassis an a few unique design cues."
This discounts all your hard work you have done to 'uncover' the car. Why, I didn't see those grooves on your car's roof until I saw the Holden mule.
To start a new thread with the 'artist's' impressionist rendering is one thing, but to follow up with this condescending comment goes beyond accepted protocol. Had his artwork appeared within an existing thread, it would have been pleasant and amusing. I hope what I see is completely wrong.

Thanks for defending my work... I was of course only joking with you. Sometimes strong views and opinions can be misinterpreted or misread.

You may have taken JTecho's words differently than I did. I didn't want to presume he saw my renders and discounted them and was belittling me by saying all other renders were bad but he had the right take on it. I took his words to mean that he had looked at the renders and images we all have seen and decided to throw his hat in the ring and offer a sketch of what he "sees" or dreams. Of course it is only a sketch so there is not too much to quibble over so I will give him the benefit of the doubt...unless he comes at me...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel your drawings and interpretations while "accurate" to the mules and info we think we know so far, show your "fear/disappointment" that the ME will be , as JTecho also states, an "evolution" of the C7.

I don't think anyone here wants that. The C7 is great for a FE and maybe will actually as some here think "evolve" into a C8 FE at some point, but I remember reading and hearing that GM insiders were saying that the C8/ME will be REVOLUTIONARY.

Now, we have been "lied" to before, or at least the fact exaggerated and our expectations and dreams trampled so managing expectations is good, but I think we can see that the ME is a different animal and the devil will be in the details.

The overall proportions and shape of the car look pretty good so far for wide appeal meaning it leans more Ferrari/McLaren than the super exotic Veyron, Lambos etc. ( insert your vision of extreme exotic car here) avoiding any overly unusual styling just for exotic styling sake.

My renders tried to "suggest" not only the shape and proportions but also some features we may see...of course borrowed from existing cars for time sake. The details of how the GM design team address these details and how they do convey Corvette styling into a whole new car will be very exciting and interesting but may also be jarring and unexpected so there may be a bunch of blowback until the public's taste catches up with the designers... but having the C7 still available may help ease some of us into the new design. No doubt there will be some Corvette fans that hate the design because it went TOO far and some that hate it because it didn't go far enough... People have different tastes.

One reason I think "introducing" the car early would be to allow the public to get used to and grow into the design just like many did with the c7. Many here had apprehensive feelings about the c7 design but grew to love it in time. Seeing things over time can help acclimate our vision to the new things and we grow to understand and appreciate them...or not So GM getting those images out there will help get people used to this radical (for Corvette) new design and boost interest and chatter IMO. In fact I feel all this talk and comparisons to GT,Ferrari, TurboS etc. start to set our imaginations on fire. I am looking forward to something special.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I do appreciate your thoughts and observations as I do for everyone here...(except maybe Kris )

I feel privileged to read these thoughts and comments from so may diverse and knowledgeable people.
FrankLP (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Thanks for defending my work... I was of course only joking with you. Sometimes strong views and opinions can be misinterpreted or misread.

You may have taken JTecho's words differently than I did. I didn't want to presume he saw my renders and discounted them and was belittling me by saying all other renders were bad but he had the right take on it. I took his words to mean that he had looked at the renders and images we all have seen and decided to throw his hat in the ring and offer a sketch of what he "sees" or dreams. Of course it is only a sketch so there is not too much to quibble over so I will give him the benefit of the doubt...unless he comes at me...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel your drawings and interpretations while "accurate" to the mules and info we think we know so far, show your "fear/disappointment" that the ME will be , as JTecho also states, an "evolution" of the C7.

I don't think anyone here wants that. The C7 is great for a FE and maybe will actually as some here think "evolve" into a C8 FE at some point, but I remember reading and hearing that GM insiders were saying that the C8/ME will be REVOLUTIONARY.

Now, we have been "lied" to before, or at least the fact exaggerated and our expectations and dreams trampled so managing expectations is good, but I think we can see that the ME is a different animal and the devil will be in the details.

The overall proportions and shape of the car look pretty good so far for wide appeal meaning it leans more Ferrari/McLaren than the super exotic Veyron, Lambos etc. ( insert your vision of extreme exotic car here) avoiding any overly unusual styling just for exotic styling sake.

My renders tried to "suggest" not only the shape and proportions but also some features we may see...of course borrowed from existing cars for time sake. The details of how the GM design team address these details and how they do convey Corvette styling into a whole new car will be very exciting and interesting but may also be jarring and unexpected so there may be a bunch of blowback until the public's taste catches up with the designers... but having the C7 still available may help ease some of us into the new design. No doubt there will be some Corvette fans that hate the design because it went TOO far and some that hate it because it didn't go far enough... People have different tastes.

One reason I think "introducing" the car early would be to allow the public to get used to and grow into the design just like many did with the c7. Many here had apprehensive feelings about the c7 design but grew to love it in time. Seeing things over time can help acclimate our vision to the new things and we grow to understand and appreciate them...or not So GM getting those images out there will help get people used to this radical (for Corvette) new design and boost interest and chatter IMO. In fact I feel all this talk and comparisons to GT,Ferrari, TurboS etc. start to set our imaginations on fire. I am looking forward to something special.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I do appreciate your thoughts and observations as I do for everyone here...(except maybe Kris )

I feel privileged to read these thoughts and comments from so may diverse and knowledgeable people.
I just read your thoughtful post so I'll respond off the top of my head. I think the ME was started long before the C7 and shows some really old 90s ideas and more C6 than C7. What's with that huge windshield?Pointy noses reduce drag but it is difficult to get downforce without adding strange looking splitters.
We are both straining to find the front head lights. The top edge of the front fender curves in drastically and the lamps tend to follow that curve. Frightening.

As far as inserting my vision of an exotic car, well let me see. Think Peugeot LMP. I grew up in the 50s and 60s and the music was bad since the 18th century. Yep, I played the classics on the piano. Then came acid rock in the 70s long after I graduated college. Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, etc. Man.
The time has come for the Pink Floyd equivalent in auto design. I enjoy the Lamborghini designs

The C7 needs much development but I'd like to see a Van Halen ME Vette and a Mozart Caddy.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 design sketch

Old 01-09-2018, 08:46 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

I also hope what you have drawn is wrong and way off.

This is the least desirable interpretation of what the mid engine will look like thatanyone has posted.

So I pray your way off with this design. I expect that GM will knock our socks off.

Your sketch does not come close to anything I would like to see.

I see some c2 line on fender and 1/4 panel and a overall resemblance to a Mitsubishi 3000 gt from the mid 90's.

I not knocking your efforts I am just saying I hope your dead wrong as that is one ugly and outdated sketch.

I agree that 1st vette soon has posted some really excellent ideas and renders that I personally find to be very attractive.

Unfortunately we will have it looks to be 12 more months of guess work before we know hat we going to get.

I will be suprised if GM does not blow us away with a beautiful and clean design that will carry the Corvette forward as one of the most beautiful cars available.

I hope to see something clean and clean similar to a Ferrari 458 or 488 and something not as angry looking as the Lamborghini Hurcan.

I like both but find the Hurcan as overly done in an attempt to be futuristic. Where the 458 and 488 are just timeless design that will age far better tan the Lamborghini hard edge look.

So I hope to see less C7 design cues and more rounded exotic look that age well .

Just one man opinion for what it worth.
Shaka (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 02:09 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

I just read your thoughtful post so I'll respond off the top of my head. I think the ME was started long before the C7 and shows some really old 90s ideas and more C6 than C7. What's with that huge windshield?Pointy noses reduce drag but it is difficult to get downforce without adding strange looking splitters.
We are both straining to find the front head lights. The top edge of the front fender curves in drastically and the lamps tend to follow that curve. Frightening.

As far as inserting my vision of an exotic car, well let me see. Think Peugeot LMP. I grew up in the 50s and 60s and the music was bad since the 18th century. Yep, I played the classics on the piano. Then came acid rock in the 70s long after I graduated college. Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, etc. Man.
The time has come for the Pink Floyd equivalent in auto design. I enjoy the Lamborghini designs

The C7 needs much development but I'd like to see a Van Halen ME Vette and a Mozart Caddy.
Good taste in music... but Van Halen literally screams Lambo which is why you may be drawn to the LamboVette concept...and if Caddy goes Mozart without the Holtz weird laugh I don't think they will rejuvenate the brand very well.

The front may not be a frightening as you think. The lights are not too far off from the c7 position, but I feel they will be highly sculpted and more angular. I did not exactly align the c7 overlay but you can see it is pretty close.

The cars you list are very cool designs, but are too far out there for Corvette IMO. I think it will lean more Ferrari than Lambo and be more drivable/usable/enter-able...I hope. I don't need a workout just to get in the thing !

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-10-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Good taste in music... but Van Halen literally screams Lambo which is why you may be drawn to the LamboVette concept...and if Caddy goes Mozart without the Holtz weird laugh I don't think they will rejuvenate the brand very well.

The front may not be a frightening as you think. The lights are not too far off from the c7 position, but I feel they will be highly sculpted and more angular. I did not exactly align the c7 overlay but you can see it is pretty close.

The cars you list are very cool designs, but are too far out there for Corvette IMO. I think it will lean more Ferrari than Lambo and be more drivable/usable/enter-able...I hope. I don't need a workout just to get in the thing !

By George, I think you've got it. Very nice.

Quick Reply: C8 design sketch