Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 design sketch

Old 01-10-2018, 08:30 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
I also hope what you have drawn is wrong and way off.

This is the least desirable interpretation of what the mid engine will look like thatanyone has posted.

So I pray your way off with this design. I expect that GM will knock our socks off.

Your sketch does not come close to anything I would like to see.

I see some c2 line on fender and 1/4 panel and a overall resemblance to a Mitsubishi 3000 gt from the mid 90's.

I not knocking your efforts I am just saying I hope your dead wrong as that is one ugly and outdated sketch.

I agree that 1st vette soon has posted some really excellent ideas and renders that I personally find to be very attractive.

Unfortunately we will have it looks to be 12 more months of guess work before we know hat we going to get.

I will be suprised if GM does not blow us away with a beautiful and clean design that will carry the Corvette forward as one of the most beautiful cars available.

I hope to see something clean and clean similar to a Ferrari 458 or 488 and something not as angry looking as the Lamborghini Hurcan.

I like both but find the Hurcan as overly done in an attempt to be futuristic. Where the 458 and 488 are just timeless design that will age far better tan the Lamborghini hard edge look.

So I hope to see less C7 design cues and more rounded exotic look that age well .

Just one man opinion for what it worth.
Your opinion is good as anybodies. I traced this photo and added the details according to my interpretation of the spy material. I've modified the lambo photo also because I think Vettes should look like Sharks like this car does. Good post, thanks.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:02 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
The front may not be a frightening as you think. The lights are not too far off from the c7 position, but I feel they will be highly sculpted and more angular. I did not exactly align the c7 overlay but you can see it is pretty close.

Seems the red circles show the extremity of the lamp and a line I don't see. Artistic licence I guess.
What do your eagle eyes see in this view?

Old 01-10-2018, 12:41 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
What do your eagle eyes see in this view?
Anything in particular you are looking at?

BTW, take a look at this shot. I have been wondering if there is some eng. reason for the feature.

Note the sill plate about mid door. There is a dark "groove" a few inches wide and traveling toward the bottom of the scoop...maybe?

Also some other observations and questions...interesting stuff.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:01 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

BTW, take a look at this shot. I have been wondering if there is some eng. reason for the feature.

Note the sill plate about mid door. There is a dark "groove" a few inches wide and traveling toward the bottom of the scoop...maybe?

i see confirmation of shaka's drawings, and am pretty sure the car's design will follow the theme of the bugatti; the front half of the car will look like the back end is added on/built around the front half.

i also think the dark patch might be part of the side skirt that is either covered by a part of the black canvas or part of the camouflage paint has scrapped of. i don't see it on other photos on the right side of the car. on photos that show the right side of the car, it looks like that area is a channel to catch water and channel it out through an opening in the back side just before it enters the air intake opening.

Last edited by senah; 01-10-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Any guesses for what is sitting under the rhombus on the front hood? It seems like a false structure to hide whatever is there.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

It is a very unattractive section that could have been nice with little extra effort. A little piece of the camo looks like it came off. Ferrari always does it nice. However, a closer look suggests the profile changes there which could be the beginning of the intake for the side scoop.

Here are some variations on a Ferrari 458 side splitter.

Last edited by Shaka; 01-10-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:34 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

...the dark groove area appears on all the images on both sides. "maybe" a future piece of trim will be added there for the side scoop, as you suggest.

The CAD shows an interesting angular transition for the side sill area.

Also suggests that the scoop area will "bulge" and then slim down in front of the rear wheels.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-10-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

The level of 'expertise' and debate in this thread is entertaining and saddening at the same time. Plenty of people seem ready to step forward and criticize the original post that started all this, but then fail to bring their own rendering to the party or they devolve into I don't like it, or it looks like a Ferrari, or it looks like a Lamborghini. Same crap, different generation.

There's a lot of truth in the lines that have been revealed. At this point if someone takes the time to put together an entire 3D rendering, we have basically everything except the new logo, headlight shape, and taillight shape. The rest of it is there.

We've all seen these photos, but they are real and they are completely uncovered portions of the C8.

For my money, I think it's a good thing that the C8 has some Ferrariesque/Lamborghiniesque cues in the styling. Those are very pretty cars. The C7 was a flaming turd of a design and can't go away fast enough (no offense). I'm hopeful that this new car causes GM to have the gumption to move it's car designs into modern world.

Anyway, I digress. We have the car, it is there in the photos, just assemble the puzzle. GM doesn't put filler panes under the covering, quite frankly they aren't that smart. Proof? They let Pontiac die. So does anyone want to create a nice image from the dozens of spy photos and pics of the actual front and rear bumpers? (Yes, they are actual parts of the car, its from inside the Corvette Plant and insiders have confirmed such). That'd be great, thanks.
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2018, 03:44 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

...the dark groove area appears on all the images on both sides. "maybe" a future piece of trim will be added there for the side scoop, as you suggest.

The CAD shows an interesting angular transition for the side sill area.

Also suggests that the scoop area will "bulge" and then slim down in front of the rear wheels.

I also see the air intake that appears to bulge out and then tapper off to the rear wheel well area.

I wonder if that point to the air intake starting on the door and then channeling the air flow back into the intake on the 1/4 panel.

Some of the spy shot show that there is duct work on the door.

I originally discounted that as just GM trying to hide the true design as I think it would be a problem for the door to have a air intake sticking out at the rear of the door?

Who know but I do think that the general shape of the 1/4 panel air intake is shown to be less rounded than in Sanka drawings and more angular if that is the right way to describe it?
Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,423 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
The level of 'expertise' and debate in this thread is entertaining and saddening at the same time. Plenty of people seem ready to step forward and criticize the original post that started all this, but then fail to bring their own rendering to the party or they devolve into I don't like it, or it looks like a Ferrari, or it looks like a Lamborghini. Same crap, different generation.

There's a lot of truth in the lines that have been revealed. At this point if someone takes the time to put together an entire 3D rendering, we have basically everything except the new logo, headlight shape, and taillight shape. The rest of it is there.

We've all seen these photos, but they are real and they are completely uncovered portions of the C8.

For my money, I think it's a good thing that the C8 has some Ferrariesque/Lamborghiniesque cues in the styling. Those are very pretty cars. The C7 was a flaming turd of a design and can't go away fast enough (no offense). I'm hopeful that this new car causes GM to have the gumption to move it's car designs into modern world.

Anyway, I digress. We have the car, it is there in the photos, just assemble the puzzle. GM doesn't put filler panes under the covering, quite frankly they aren't that smart. Proof? They let Pontiac die. So does anyone want to create a nice image from the dozens of spy photos and pics of the actual front and rear bumpers? (Yes, they are actual parts of the car, its from inside the Corvette Plant and insiders have confirmed such). That'd be great, thanks.

If Jan. '19 is the reveal date for this car, the next year is going to be pretty entertaining while we all wait to see it.

This guy calls everybody in the thread an idiot, and then asks them for help.

Priceless.

Will be an entertaining year of anticipation.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
If Jan. '19 is the reveal date for this car, the next year is going to be pretty entertaining while we all wait to see it.

This guy calls everybody in the thread an idiot, and then asks them for help.

Priceless.

Will be an entertaining year of anticipation.

Not everyone. But, you're welcome.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:55 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,423 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Not everyone. But, you're welcome.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

You are aware that the rear of the car is on the left.
Left is the front of the car. Area outside of the right side axle is way too tall to be the front of the car.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 05:08 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

You are aware that the rear of the car is on the left. I don't see a scoop. I do see a perimeter aluminum space frame with backbone architecture.
Really? I'm confused. The door opening wont line up that way. I am not and auto engineer. I was only looking at what I thought was a side scoop.

If it is the other way round, what is this big opening in the front edge of the door? and why does it sit so far back?

Shaka (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 05:23 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

here is a composite of all the CADs and the mule in approximate size and position. If I am incorrect, let me know.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-10-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:43 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Speednet
Any guesses for what is sitting under the rhombus on the front hood? It seems like a false structure to hide whatever is there.
You are prob right that is is just a false structure. No reason to have the hood vent like that...unless it really IS a FE and there is a blower under there...
Old 01-10-2018, 05:48 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

what were you trying to indicate with the top RED circle.? I don't see anything there.

I placed the orange dots and lines on the position of the visible lamps. The tarp openings are wider I think.

Of course it is approximated due to the camera angle difference but the lines show the possible break lines.angles in the hood.

BTW, Sorry to JTecho for derailing his design impression thread! Not sure how to fix it. Maybe this should be in the/a CAD/Mule observation thread?

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-10-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 design sketch

Old 01-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

here is a composite of all the CADs and the mule in approximate size and position. If I am incorrect, let me know.

Correct. Do I feel foolish now?

Last edited by Shaka; 01-10-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:22 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
Left is the front of the car. Area outside of the right side axle is way too tall to be the front of the car.
I see the front being the left side and the rear being the right side on the undercarriage CAD drawing.

If your stating the left is the rear if the car then this CAD makes no sense for being a rear mid engine design?

I think you have it exactly backwards.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Correct. Do I feel foolish now?
...You scared me. Staring at these images can make you go crosseyed. I had to look a few times to be sure.

So you can see that there seems to be a bulge at the doorjam and then the body squeezes in a bit.

I think this will be a very sculpted body...but I cant quite figure out the scoop in the CAD image. Is this the "outer" body panel of under frame?

Need more details...

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-10-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Shaka (01-11-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C8 design sketch