Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Reveal Date

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
The most recent HD spy shots of the mid engine are of a HEAVILY camouflaged prototype that looks far from production ready or from its reveal IMO.
Judging from previous cars and trucks, they'd normally be ready for production ~8-10 months after we start seeing winter testing vehicles. With this being their first high end mid-engine car, and a new assembly line, I could see them stretching out development much longer.

If they start doing pilot production builds at Bowling Green late this year, that'd explain the plant closure. They continue development on the car through this summer, start pilot builds at BG in the fall, announce in Jan 2019 and have it ready for sale in Q2 of 2019.

Then we start seeing testing photos of a front engine C8 in late 2019 or early 2020
The following users liked this post:
cam30era (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:02 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Judging from previous cars and trucks, they'd normally be ready for production ~8-10 months after we start seeing winter testing vehicles. With this being their first high end mid-engine car, and a new assembly line, I could see them stretching out development much longer.

If they start doing pilot production builds at Bowling Green late this year, that'd explain the plant closure. They continue development on the car through this summer, start pilot builds at BG in the fall, announce in Jan 2019 and have it ready for sale in Q2 of 2019.

Then we start seeing testing photos of a front engine C8 in late 2019 or early 2020
That sounds about in line with what others are saying. So you think the ME will be another trim level as opposed to the C8? Do you think just one ME trim or maybe 2-3 different trims?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:13 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

There's no doubt in my mind that the reveal is January 2019.

It makes no sense to show a car that is not going to be produced for 18 months. The Ford GT reveal is a totally different deal. It is a VERY limited car. Everyone learned a great lesson from Honda with the NSX reveal....FOUR years before they actually started making it. ALL the hype was LONG gone, and while this is certainly not the sole reason for the NSX's sales failure, it sure didn't help. But, the Seinfeld/Leno NSX commercial was GREAT!

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-09-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
So you think the ME will be another trim level as opposed to the C8? Do you think just one ME trim or maybe 2-3 different trims?
I don't have a lot of evidence to back up that opinion, but yes, I believe there will be two cars. The BG expansion doesn't make sense for building fewer cars. They did not double the size of the plant for a simple paint shop. They also didn't double it to build fewer, more expensive cars.

Also, I've been reading the
Stingray coffee table book Stingray coffee table book
and several times the GM staff make points about the specific look of the Corvette, and how that's driven their engine and packaging choices over the years.

A mid-engined car, now matter how it's styled, does not look like a Corvette. The "look" of the Corvette is very important to GM, and the market. They're not just going to throw away 65 years of heritage and slap the name on something fundamentally different.

I really think they'll keep a front engine car with a sub-brand like Stingray and maybe Grand Sport, and the new car will be an extension of the Corvette brand. But that's where you'll find your future Z06 and ZR1 type apex predators.

It'd make a really nice 3 model progression when teamed up with the Camaro too.

25k Camaro >>> 55k Corvette Stingray >>> 85k+ Corvette Zora

Maybe I'm completely wrong. But I think it makes a certain amount of logical sense. Volume sales of the Camaro and Stingray would help support the business case for a low volume ME Zora.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:48 PM
favrefan2k4
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Detroit Rep came to look at the bumper paint issue that was going around on my GS this last fall. He was doing a tour through dealerships to see all of the different paint issues in person. Naturally, since I knew he reported directly to Detroit, I asked him about the mid-engine. He gave me the "I know some things" smile but wouldn't divulge details. He did say "I'll leave you with this. 2018 will be very exciting for GM fans, especially April, and that 2020 will be very exciting for GM car buyers". Since that conversation with him, I fully believe there will be something major released with the mid-engine. I believe it will be the ME itself out in all of it's glory. The 2020 reference has all but been confirmed with reports of the ME being available then for delivery... Call it a hunch
Old 01-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

The New York Auto Show is in April. (3/30 - 4/8)

Cadillac is based in New York.

Hmm.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff V.:
favrefan2k4 (01-09-2018), Shaka (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 03:08 PM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Wasn't the Gen 5 Camaro "debut" three years before actual sales commenced?
Old 01-09-2018, 03:08 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I'm sure it's the the truck reveal...although nothing says autoshow like a rear mid engine exotic CONCEPT car from a sister division that's screams futuristic and never going to see production in its showcar concept form.....(hint Cadillac)
Old 01-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Wasn't the Gen 5 Camaro "debut" three years before actual sales commenced?
It was technically a concept car, although it obviously had production intent. But it wasn't actually approved until August 2006 after the overwhelming positive response to the concept. This was also right before the bankruptcy mess, so that added some delay. It was originally supposed to start production in 08 as an 09 car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff V.:
gurneyeagle (01-10-2018), jimmyb (01-09-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:09 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I think they should go ahead and reveal the ME now and open orders next year lol.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:06 AM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

If they start doing pilot production builds at Bowling Green late this year, that'd explain the plant closure.
FWIW: Suppliers have already started submitting PPAPs for the ME (fact). (First shot parts off production tools were happening in last October (fact)). Based on previous generation timelines, this means that pilot production builds might start in early Spring (guess). BG may start "Sale-able Block 1" cars before end of Q2 (guess). Don't get too excited by that moniker though. These cars aren't for sale. It just means pilot production cars built with production parts.

Last edited by cam30era; 01-10-2018 at 11:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cam30era:
elegant (01-10-2018), Shaka (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 09:22 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

So let me understand this. The first C7 ZR1 has not yet been delivered to the dealers but several folks here think Corvette will announce the ME within a few weeks thereby causing many ZR1 customers to put the brakes on that pricey purchase.
Not going to happen.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by cam30era
FWIW: Suppliers have already started submitting PPAPs for the ME. (First shot parts off production tools were happening in last October). Based on previous generation timelines, this means that pilot production builds might start in early Spring. BG may start "Sale-able Block 1" cars before end of Q2. Don't get too excited by that moniker though. These cars aren't for sale. It just means pilot production cars built with production parts.
Thank you, and why the BGA is not only closed to Buyers Tours for all of 2018 and at least some small amount of 2019, but also no Photo Albums during this same time period (the album one can buy documenting your car’s build pictures taken only by NCM approved staff), is also not allowed through this entire year.

For those who will counter that the “build your own engine option” within the Powertrain Build Center located inside of BGA is continuing throughout 2018, there is a complete separate entrance/exit to the PBC through the Admin building, and the large windows which we have sometimes seen completely covered over which separate the PBC from being able to see into the Plant’s assembly area (over vice-versa), are again blacked out.

Last edited by elegant; 01-10-2018 at 10:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cam30era (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:59 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

car will be shown at the 2018 Chicago auto show in feb
Old 01-10-2018, 11:20 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

I don't have a lot of evidence to back up that opinion, but yes, I believe there will be two cars. The BG expansion doesn't make sense for building fewer cars. They did not double the size of the plant for a simple paint shop. They also didn't double it to build fewer, more expensive cars.

Also, I've beenD reading the Stingray coffee table book and several times the GM staff make points about the specific look of the Corvette, and how that's driven their engine and packaging choices over the years.

A mid-engined car, now matter how it's styled, does not look like a Corvette. The "look" of the Corvette is very important to GM, and the market. They're not just going to throw away 65 years of heritage and slap the name on something fundamentally different.

I really think they'll keep a front engine car with a sub-brand like Stingray and maybe Grand Sport, and the new car will be an extension of the Corvette brand. But that's where you'll find your future Z06 and ZR1 type apex predators.

It'd make a really nice 3 model progression when teamed up with the Camaro too.

25k Camaro >>> 55k Corvette Stingray >>> 85k+ Corvette Zora

Maybe I'm completely wrong. But I think it makes a certain amount of logical sense. Volume sales of the Camaro and Stingray would help support the business case for a low volume ME Zora.
Makes plenty of sense. That’s what I’ve been thinking as well, a FE stingray, GS, and maybe Z06 for people that want FE and heritage and all that prices from 55k and up. Then 2 ME cars, one priced similar to the top FE car and a ZR1 or Zora that raises the price up to the 125-150 bracket.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:56 AM
favrefan2k4
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
So let me understand this. The first C7 ZR1 has not yet been delivered to the dealers but several folks here think Corvette will announce the ME within a few weeks thereby causing many ZR1 customers to put the brakes on that pricey purchase.
Not going to happen.
This is a very good point. However, the ZR1 was very delayed in it's release. Early 2018 may have been the original ME plan before the ZR1 delays. But... does that mean they push back the biggest Corvette reveal of all time if it is truly ready to be revealed? I can see it going both ways but roadbike56 does make a great point here.

Another thought is what if the ME comes out as a "base" model like every other new corvette generation and the ZR1 is faster than this version? The C6 ZR1 market was still strong when the base C7 was revealed. A stretch, but a thought...
Old 01-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
car will be shown at the 2018 Chicago auto show in feb
Are you basing this on anything, or is it just a wild guess?

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
That’s what I’ve been thinking as well, a FE stingray, GS, and maybe Z06 for people that want FE and heritage and all that prices from 55k and up.
If it goes that route, I'd hope they take the Z06 back to the stripped down track focused version like the C5Z and C6Z. Something closer to the Camaro Z28 rather than the bloated GT car they turned the C7Z into. They can keep the the everything and the kitchen sink approach for the ME car.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Reveal Date

Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

If it goes that route, I'd hope they take the Z06 back to the stripped down track focused version like the C5Z and C6Z. Something closer to the Camaro Z28 rather than the bloated GT car they turned the C7Z into. They can keep the the everything and the kitchen sink approach for the ME car.
Totally agree. Make the Z06 the stripped down NA track car, then like you said make the ME cars the all around excellent “gt” car,
Old 01-10-2018, 12:51 PM
4U2ENV
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

as a GM retiree, the ME will not be revealed till the Dubai show just like they did with the ZR1, then follow suit with every show after that, will start selling in the spring of 2019 as a 2020 model. I even heard the ZR1 will not be at the Detroit show, it's all about the Truck.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by 4U2ENV
as a GM retiree, the ME will not be revealed till the Dubai show just like they did with the ZR1, then follow suit with every show after that, will start selling in the spring of 2019 as a 2020 model. I even heard the ZR1 will not be at the Detroit show, it's all about the Truck.

You really think that GM is going to introduce the most highly anticipated sports car, possibly in history, in Dubai?
I'll do a wager on that one right now.

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-10-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: C8 Reveal Date