Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Reveal Date

Old 01-11-2018, 01:30 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

I am not as knowledgeable as you guys but could't the logic of closed factory tours simply be a way to control the "leak" of proprietary engineering and or assembly details before the car is "available" for sale rather than a reveal of the basic features and look of the car?

I don't see why this would necessarily preclude an introduction or teaser reveal ahead of Jan 2019 just showing off the body and touting the features to build anticipation?

If they hold off until Jan 2019 to reveal the car and it will be available in Sept/Oct. as a 2020 model, is the timing right for build-up, production, marketing etc? Do they need to have inventory ahead of the release?
Old 01-11-2018, 01:32 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Just because it's closed to tours doesn't mean they'll only announce when it opens back up; that's an absurd assumption. GM isn't at a stop work because the public can't take a tour of the factory.

Are they not going to building C7ZR's when the plant is 'closed' to tours?

As someone stated, they already have vendors shipping first article production pieces. This would suggest that the design is fairly mature. That's a lot of investment to just 'sit' on without getting a return on it.
I did not say that the factory was shut down for production. I said for public tours. Production for all 2019 C7 models will continue until production for the 2020 C8 begins. The C8 announcement/first showing is not based on when factory tours resume. It's the other way around. Factory tours will resume based on when the C8 is introduced to the public. Maybe vendors are shipping C8 production pieces, and maybe not. I have not seen definitive proof of this one way or the other. Nevertheless, the factory will remain closed to tours until the C8 introduction.

Last edited by RonnieC6Z; 01-11-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:05 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
First time I ever quoted myself, but it is clear from some posts above, that some are jumping into a thread, just reading the few posts, then posting. Also if anyone did not read Jag’s two posts, thank you for skimming up above.

Second, if GM is so concerned that even their affiliated/certified three NCM “Plant approved photographers” might take a picture with “something” (e.g. an ME) is in the background of that picture that do not want us to see, they are trying to hide something during that time period.

Do not be surprised if “magically” (LOL), about Jan 13, 2019, we see an announcement that Buyers Tours and Photo Albums are now resuming.
Is BG done with the addition and renovation yet?
Old 01-11-2018, 02:27 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Done with the total re-do as of the last week of October. However, many are expecting that at the end of the 2019 run (estimated by Chevy in an internal document as March, 2019), there will be another 4 to 6 week period when they make further changes to accomodate the ME. Most are not expecting a separate assembly line for the ME for efficiency and other reasons, and as Kai Spande said the end of August (available on a video here/You Tube post by jagamajajaran), the result of that re-do is that the Plant will have the same capacity as many GM plants to produce multiple models at the same time.

Last edited by elegant; 01-11-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:29 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
I did not say that the factory was shut down for production. I said for public tours. Production for all 2019 C7 models will continue until production for the 2020 C8 begins. The C8 announcement/first showing is not based on when factory tours resume. It's the other way around. Factory tours will resume based on when the C8 is introduced to the public. Maybe vendors are shipping C8 production pieces, and maybe not. I have not seen definitive proof of this one way or the other. Nevertheless, the factory will remain closed to tours until the C8 introduction.
You should read what I said a bit more carefully; I never said the plant was shut down for production.

Perhaps I misunderstood but you seemed to suggest that announcement of the new ME platform was dependent upon the ability for public tours of the factory; this seems like a ridiculous position.

It seems like employees of vendors are making statements of PPAP parts; so take it with a grain of salt but seeing how many mules they're testing and the release of the CAD, that seems very plausible.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

the result of that re-do is that the Plant will have the same capacity as many GM plants to produce multiple models at the same time.
Yet a whole lot of people still think the ME car is going to be the 8th gen Corvette, and GM is going to great expense to install a new multi-model line for just a year or two of C7 and C8 overlap. That a massive plant expansion and the addition of an assembly line capable of building multiple models will only be used to build a low volume, expensive mid engine "C8".

If there isn't going to be a front engine C8, then what other car(s) are they going to build on this line? Re-trimming the Me car as a Cadillac doesn't count. GM was already able to do that with the XLR and C6 on the same old line. Examples of multiple models on one line are Hamtramck building the Volt and CT6, and Oshwa building the Equinox and Impala.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:36 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Eventually, they will totally decommission, then environmentally clean the 250,000 square feet occupied by the “old paint shop.”

What will that be used for??? One guess is that they will create a separate, hand assembly area for the 2023+ hybrid or all-electric Cadillac sports cars (like they had a separate area for building the ZLR’s 2004-2009).

Last edited by elegant; 01-11-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:50 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Done with the total re-do as of the last week of October. However, many are expecting that at the end of the 2019 run (estimated by Chevy in an internal document as March, 2019), there will be another 4 to 6 week period when they make further changes to accomodate the ME. Most are not expecting a separate assembly line for the ME for efficiency and other reasons, and as Kai Spande said the end of August (available on a video here/You Tube post by jagamajajaran), the result of that re-do is that the Plant will have the same capacity as many GM plants to produce multiple models at the same time.
Ok thanks. So tours defiantly aren’t being affected by construction that’s for sure.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 AM
elegant
Safety Car

As “accredited GM Media,” I just received this notice of the Silverado’s reveal tomorrow night (off-site from NAIAS). For those who are still convinced that there is going to a be a surprise of the ME there, the good news is that you can watch the reveal live and see for yourself. Or maybe, some of us are considering buying a Silverado, and/or want to learn more about it.

Originally Posted by media.chevrolet
WATCH LIVE STREAM OF SILVERADO PRESS CONFERENCE FROM NAIAS

2018-01-12

To cap our Chevy Truck Centennial celebration, Chevrolet is unveiling the full Silverado lineup at 6 p.m. EST on Saturday, Jan. 13 in Detroit.

Click HERE to follow along with a live stream of the press conference.

Media materials will be posted on Saturday evening to media.chevrolet.com.

If you are a reporter attending the media days at the 2018 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, please contact Chelsea Kubasiak at CKubasiak@webershandwick.com.
http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...streaming.html
Attached Images  

Last edited by elegant; 01-12-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The small wheel tire package shown on test miles leads many to believe the standard corvette c8 will be rear mid engine.

Makes sense to me...

I expect next January at Detroit we will see the c8 whatever form it takes...

Till then we are all just guessing,,l
Old 01-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Many are predicting that the first customer ME’s will not become available until summer of 2019. I am in that group. And that Janaury, 2019 reveal timetable coincides very nicely with your statement that typically cars are customer available 6-12 months after they are revealed.
Realistically won't it be 2021 before we really get to buy a ME? Shouldn't we wait a couple of years so they can get them "fixed" a little better?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Default Concept me

Other companies show a concept car and later the real deal is announced and produced. Why hasn't GM shown a concept mid engine car so we could at least get an idea of what we're drooling over?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:40 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

If you have the desire and the cash..I wouldn't buy into the first model year nonsense...and be the reason to wait...

Usually the first year has those stupid market value adjustments upward of a few grand.....and that would be more of a reason to wait...

I dont expect big issues to be part of the first year of production...if you are ready willing and able...go for it...
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

everybody and everything gets hacked, but nobody can get us a picture
of the ME C8!
The following users liked this post:
Mark Ca (01-31-2018)
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Realistically won't it be 2021 before we really get to buy a ME? Shouldn't we wait a couple of years so they can get them "fixed" a little better?
I've owned two first model year Corvettes (C6 - 2005 and C7 - 2014). No major problems with either. Not going to sit out several years of driving enjoyment waiting for perfection that never comes.
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by direct007
The intro of the C8 is going to be a huge huge deal...I doubt it will happen this month and take away from the ZR1 rollout which is 2018's big deal. I predict a huge build up over the next 12 months which has already started with the CAD drawing "leaks", perhaps another Jalopnik type bigger "leak" maybe this summer to get the buzz going and then the major major publicity / marketing directly from GM in the few months before the actual reveal culminating in the fever pitch "cabbage patch kid gotta have it momentum machine" where fanatics can't wait to put down their deposits in a "please take my money pandemonium"
Some are going to bitch and moan about the ME
Old 01-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Yet a whole lot of people still think the ME car is going to be the 8th gen Corvette, and GM is going to great expense to install a new multi-model line for just a year or two of C7 and C8 overlap. That a massive plant expansion and the addition of an assembly line capable of building multiple models will only be used to build a low volume, expensive mid engine "C8".

If there isn't going to be a front engine C8, then what other car(s) are they going to build on this line? Re-trimming the Me car as a Cadillac doesn't count. GM was already able to do that with the XLR and C6 on the same old line. Examples of multiple models on one line are Hamtramck building the Volt and CT6, and Oshwa building the Equinox and Impala.
Of maybe GM is thinking into the future and planning on offering other versions of the Corvette. Up until now it has pretty much been one model with a coupe or roadster variation. They might be able to attract even more Customers if they increased the number of models they produced. Since none of the models would be a high volume product running them on one production line would be the most cost effective way of producing them. Corvette SUV, CUV, Off Road, hybrid, electric, etc.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Reveal Date

Old 01-18-2018, 06:46 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask

Perhaps I misunderstood but you seemed to suggest that announcement of the new ME platform was dependent upon the ability for public tours of the factory; this seems like a ridiculous position.
He doesn't seem to be claiming that at all.

It's about not wanting the public to see the car until the reveal.

Last edited by NY09C6; 01-18-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:24 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
I've owned two first model year Corvettes (C6 - 2005 and C7 - 2014). No major problems with either. Not going to sit out several years of driving enjoyment waiting for perfection that never comes.
Same here and agreed. I will be ready to buy anytime after April 2019 when the 2014 is paid off.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:09 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Some are going to bitch and moan about the ME
No doubt. Happened with every generation. The C6 for not having pop up headlights. The C7 for not having round tail lights and the controversial Camaro rear end. and you know what...people still buy the new models in droves.

The traditionalists will stick to the generation they like best and the people that like the new model will buy it. Not an issue.
The following users liked this post:
elegant (01-19-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C8 Reveal Date