Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hagerty Take

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:04 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

Default Hagerty Take

Not liking this one....while I love the C7 and don't want the C8 to look like a C7.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...t&sf83104468=1

Last edited by tractman; 01-12-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:14 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tractman
Not liking this one....while I love the C7 and don't want the C8 to look like a C7.
not revolutionary at all. I prefer other's renders on the forum... heck even some of the "sketches" are better than Hagerty's unimaginative effort.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:16 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

I guess they didn't look at the spy pics or leaked CAD images very well. They ignored the "known" design features completely.

I agree, too much C7 in the mix. I think C8 ME will be a different looking animal.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by tractman
I’m OK with heavy C7 lineage, but not much about this render impresses me. Further, it is so much like the C7 that I can’t believe it is accurate, either.

Still waiting on Jalopnik....
Old 01-12-2018, 01:42 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

While the rendering itself is very lazy, they have a few points in the article that are very interesting:

Fear not, pushrod V-8 fans, your pet engine is secure. We expect the mid-engine Vette to bow with a successor to today’s 6.2-liter LT1 pumped up to 600 horsepower with higher compression, more aggressive valve timing, and less restrictive exhaust. Dry-sump lubrication will facilitate mounting the engine low in the chassis. Other propulsion sources will follow, topping out at 1000-plus hybrid horsepower, with a twin-turbo V-8 driving the rear wheels and an electric motor powering the front wheels.
Mostly what we've already known about the LT1 being used, and while it's likely all speculative 600HP would be phenomenal (though doubtful) from a NA engine, and a 1,000HP hybrid setup is borderline unbelievable.

CONSTRUCTION

The C8 will showcase light materials. The hydroformed aluminum space frame will be assembled by automated tooling installed at the Bowling Green plant for the C7. Die-cast magnesium will reinforce the dash. Cast and forged aluminum components will be used for many chassis and powertrain components. As in today’s Vettes, the bodywork will be a shrewd mix of carbon fiber, sheet molding compound (fiberglass), and reinforced reaction-injection-molded plastic. Supplier Plasan Carbon Composites invented a means of constructing full door assemblies using its fast-acting pressure press process. The fuel tank and the coolant lines will reside in a central tunnel. To ensure the C8 is the best value in the sports car class, the engineering team religiously assessed weight saving versus cost for every component.
I hope a lot of this is true, because as everyone is learning from the McLaren 720S, lightness makes a car better in every department. If the base car is around 3,000 lbs this will be a phenomenal machine.

CHASSIS

Faithful suppliers Michelin and Brembo will be back. BWI continues supplying the magnetorheological dampers. Carbon-ceramic brake rotors, opposed-piston calipers, and fiberglass leaf springs are a sure thing.
Considering the information we have I am doubtful they had any "outsider" information for this. For starters every spy shot has shown steel rotors, not carbon-ceramic, and based on the CADs leaked here it certainly looks like the car is getting coil-overs. I'm hopeful that this is for the adaptive aero/suspension but that is just my guess.

CREATURE COMFORTS

The latest infotainment and safety aids will be included. A cargo hold in the front of the car will swallow two sets of golf clubs. The hatch’s window will afford a clear view of the engine.
Considering how much effort they put into rendering the rear hatch and not much else, I have to assume that this is some of the more credible information they were basing this off of. Perhaps the large tunnel through the passenger compartment of the car is for extra radiators/intercoolers that will be mounted in the front of the car for hi-po models, but allowing the base model to retain the "two sets of clubs" requirement would make sense to me.

Just my analysis of the information presented, and we probably won't find out for real for another year but it's fun to think about in the meantime.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

We already know that almost everything in those drawings will not be happening. The drawings ignore all the confirmed information and styles in the CAD drawings as well as the camouflaged photos. They are seriously no more than a Photoshopped C7 -- LAZY.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:28 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

funny the tag says ZERV...
Old 01-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

I think it looks pretty good. I'm really like the C7 though.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
While the rendering itself is very lazy, they have a few points in the article that are very interesting:

Mostly what we've already known about the LT1 being used, and while it's likely all speculative 600HP would be phenomenal (though doubtful) from a NA engine, and a 1,000HP hybrid setup is borderline unbelievable.

I hope a lot of this is true, because as everyone is learning from the McLaren 720S, lightness makes a car better in every department. If the base car is around 3,000 lbs this will be a phenomenal machine.

Considering the information we have I am doubtful they had any "outsider" information for this. For starters every spy shot has shown steel rotors, not carbon-ceramic, and based on the CADs leaked here it certainly looks like the car is getting coil-overs. I'm hopeful that this is for the adaptive aero/suspension but that is just my guess.

Considering how much effort they put into rendering the rear hatch and not much else, I have to assume that this is some of the more credible information they were basing this off of. Perhaps the large tunnel through the passenger compartment of the car is for extra radiators/intercoolers that will be mounted in the front of the car for hi-po models, but allowing the base model to retain the "two sets of clubs" requirement would make sense to me.

Just my analysis of the information presented, and we probably won't find out for real for another year but it's fun to think about in the meantime.
Frankly I don't care about any GOLF CLUBS
Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Thats one ugly *** car. I think the c8 is going to be hideous and who the hell wants a mid engine car anyway.

oh yeah dont forget to wear your leather driving gloves....lol
Old 01-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Terrible render.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:17 PM
WBT
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I can't believe the C8 will look like this. It is really ugly.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Thats one ugly *** car. I think the c8 is going to be hideous and who the hell wants a mid engine car anyway.

I daily drive a mid engine car. It is hands down the best driving car I have ever owned.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:05 PM
stevdug
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Default C8

lazy render yes. Never say never but am I supposed to think gm will make the ME
Look that close to at the time will be a 6 year old c7 sister

Last edited by stevdug; 01-12-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
We already know that almost everything in those drawings will not be happening. The drawings ignore all the confirmed information and styles in the CAD drawings as well as the camouflaged photos. They are seriously no more than a Photoshopped C7 -- LAZY.

How the hell did whoever created that mess not see the "paint shop" rear facia at least??

My wife even saw it and forwarded it to me less than a month after it first got out and I'd already seen it here.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:31 AM
kingpin111
Race Director

Received 102 Likes on 59 Posts

Do those heating vents on the side come with optional floor vents. LOL
That is ugly.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:48 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,315 Likes on 990 Posts

That article is an embarrassment

Get notified of new replies

To Hagerty Take

Old 01-13-2018, 08:01 AM
LightningBolt
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

"True friends of the stick will pout over the loss of a clutch pedal and H-pattern shifter. Rather, a state-of-the-art paddle-shifted seven-speed dual-clutch automatic supplied by Tremec will be the way and the truth."

Pouting. But this has already been discussed in other threads, so no surprises.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 AM
Stew24
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie

I agree, who "really" wants a mid engine car anyways? Of course I know the tech will be next world, and the performance will be off the chain ... but when it's all said and done this is a REAR engine car!!!
.... Long booty, Glorified Corvair???
Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2018, 11:35 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Well they got the taillights and leaf springs wrong.