Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, Um... Where is the C8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:44 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts
Default International Debut ??

The C7 ZR1 was NOTintroduced in LA, NY or Detroit - it was introduced in the Middle East !. I am thinking GM may introduce the C8 in Europe later this year. Geneva ? Frankfurt ? Who knows, but they like to keep us guessing.

I would also bet, it's America debut will be Detroit next Jan. as a 2020 model. Sales will start in June 2019, with first deliveries in the Fall of 2019 - just like the C7 intro.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM
Geoffrey Card
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
The car was designed for track use and thats who will buy it. Too much money and inflated egos? Only the "have-nots" make such statements.
In reality what percentage of Corvette owners ever attend a track day? If the ZR1 is intended only for track days GM should promote that fact and not sell it for highway use. I am certain that most owners will be used on the public highways and in inexperienced hands they present a real hazard.
I am not a 'have not' and am just attempting to point out the obvious. I could easily afford a ZR1, can you? I will be keeping my C7 till the C8 is available.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:21 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey Card
Who wants a highly strung over powered beast for normal highway driving - perhaps a minority with too much money and inflated egoes. Much greater profitable success would be achieved by launching the mid engined car this year and follow up with an up-dated front engined C7. Not sure what the hold up is as mid engined technology has been around for years.
The C8 probably just isn't ready yet, in terms of development and testing.
As far as the ZR1 goes, these supercharged C7s, in spite of their power, are quite good daily drivers. They're not high-strung at all, rather, the power is there any time you may want it. And when you don't, the engine is smooth and quiet.

Last edited by RedLS6; 01-22-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:23 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I agree about the Z06.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:20 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
You must be referring to my buddy Phil!
'72, heck. I was counting on it based on the Cover of Motor Trend in 1967. Talk about a long ambitious leap-of-faith.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:29 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

It seems as though C8 fever is in full swing. Even though the General is probably angry about all the leaks, at the end of the day as long as the public likes the car, everything will be fine.

I find all the clamoring for spy photos a bit funny. Do you remember way back in about 1995 or 1996, we were all itching to see the first photos of the C5, the first truly new Corvette in thirteen years. Everyone was trying to get a picture, everyone had a theory about what the car looked like.

All the while, it was staring them in the face. Since the first day the Corvette Museum opened to the public in 1994, the car was right there.

As you walked through the museum you were greeted with a display of Corvette design drawings and clay models. Some were of old Corvettes from the 60s, some were from the early 80s, somewhere futuristic drawings of cars such as the California Corvette. But what no one seemed to notice was that on a podium in the middle of it all and not quite out of view, were some drawings of a car that no one could identify. And hanging above all the drawings and models of the various cars in the room was a wire frame. It was about three feet long. To my knowledge, it is still there today. The frame was vaguely reminiscent of a C4 but if you stopped and looked at it, you realized that it wasn't a C4. It was GM's little joke. The C5 was staring at everyone. It was hanging from the ceiling and the final drawings were sitting right there on the podium. All you had to do was open your eyes.

Quick Reply: So, Um... Where is the C8?