Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 in Irvine, California

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts
Default C8 in Irvine, California

A user posted on here a couple of days ago that they spotted a mid-engine C8 in Irvine, California. Specifically, the Foothill Ranch/Lake Forest area. Supposedly it was driving down a public road and had the coverings much like other spy photos that have been seen.

I am trying to figure out why it would be here. To the north and west are some of the busiest roads in the entire country. It doesn't make sense to bring it here unless there's a good reason. It would be like parking a UFO on the White House lawn and covering it with a tarp. I suppose you could head out into the desert from here and do some testing free from prying eyes but Irvine isn't exactly on the route into the desert.

So why would it be here? Is there a GM facility nearby? There is a Callaway facility nearby. Could they have been taking it to Callaway for show and tell? If so, does that mean maybe there will be a factory Callaway (B2K) option again in the future?

Assuming it was actually spotted, I believe it would be the only one seen outside of Michigan or the spy photos from the Corvette Plant.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

GM has a facility in Yuma, AZ:

Desert Proving Ground Yuma
32.919818°N 114.323366°W
General Motors Desert Proving Ground in Yuma County, Arizona

Desert Proving Ground Yuma is a facility co-built and leased by General Motors located within the US Army's Yuma Proving Grounds, near Yuma, Arizona. The facility came fully online as of July 2009. The site contains an inner facility sitting on 2,400 acres (970 ha) with a 24-acre (9.7 ha) campus containing 98,000 square feet (9,100 m2) of building area and also has 40 miles of roadway. One of the main reasons that this site was chosen was the already imposed no fly zone which helps prevent unwanted photography of pre-production prototypes undergoing testing. The facility is also used by the US Army for their own testing requirements.

Of course, a "reported sighting" without photos doesn't hold much credence in my book.
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:09 PM
Cheech Wizard
Le Mans Master

Location: Orlando, Florida, MY Corvette is BEST Corvette because MID-ENGINE!
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
A user posted on here a couple of days ago that they spotted a mid-engine C8 in Irvine, California.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:47 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

rsvette12 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:28 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Old 01-20-2018, 07:58 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

it was probably headed to Jay Lenos garage
Shaka (01-22-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:15 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

I live in Irvine and there is no GM facility nearby. However, there is a 2 mile long airstrip located in El Toro, the old Marine Corps Air Base. A lot of the car magazines use that runway for magazine shoots.

Callaway Cars Inc., has a facility located right off the CA-55 freeway in Santa Ana. What they were doing in Irvine, I have no clue...

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut

Last edited by Corvette_Nut; 01-20-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:40 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

how many macdonald's are there in the area where it was purportedly sighted?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:30 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

You're probably referring to the post I made where I said it looked like a C8 mule but I went on to also say that it was dark and I was driving the opposite direction and that, upon passing right by it, it appeared to be something more like an Audi R8 prototype.

In fact, last week I was sitting in my boss's office having a meeting with him and the other directors and that same prototype drove by as I was sitting there, incredulous that I would see it twice within a couple of weeks. Again, it appeared to resemble an Audi R8 as it's door was totally exposed revealing no built in intake.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:04 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

In the words of the famous Paul Harvey: and that's the rest of the story.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

The Irvine setting was my initial post.

I know, no picks (no phone while driving), but what I saw looked very much like the renderings here, except the black & white cameo was a bit different. More geometric than paisley.

I can say, the car was NOT an Audi R8 prototype. I own one and it was nothing like that. Also, Audi is discontinuing the R8 after 2020.

Sorry I can't give any more info than I had.

Additional.....
The front section up to the doors was covered in that black material, bit the headlights and parking lights were able to shine through. The shape and light placement looked very similar to the C7.
Rear of this car was also covered with the same material from the doors back.
Rear from doors back was longer than a C7 and rear wheels were pretty far behind the doors, similar to my R8.
Only the doors were visible with the black & white cameo paint.
If it wasn't a C8, then what? ME Ferrari? McLaren? Could have been.
Was definitely not a Lambo.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-22-2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 01-23-2018, 08:52 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Subfixer - what you describe is a perfect description of what I saw both times. I only called it a possible R8 proto because I couldn't think of anything else that had the proportions I gleaned from my two sightings. The overhangs were significantly shorter than the mules pictured here and I saw no signs of the engine intakes molded into the doors. The bras and camo were just as you describe, though.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:11 PM
favrefan2k4
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aria is based in Irvine, CA. It may have been one of their cars or possibly a collaboration between them and chevy due to the founder's lineage? This article in the perfect explanation for my theory. Just a theory though.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...t-la-auto-show
Old 01-24-2018, 05:58 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Should've followed it!
Old 01-24-2018, 06:51 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

edit, beat to it!

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 01-24-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:24 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by favrefan2k4
Aria is based in Irvine, CA. It may have been one of their cars or possibly a collaboration between them and chevy due to the founder's lineage? This article in the perfect explanation for my theory. Just a theory though.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...t-la-auto-show
Could have been an Aria prototype, but the article says they wouldn't have a prototype of this car for another year, although it could be a mule. There was no massive wing on the vehicle I saw.
The Aria shape is very similar to what we think the C8 looks like.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:24 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut
I live in Irvine and there is no GM facility nearby. However, there is a 2 mile long airstrip located in El Toro, the old Marine Corps Air Base. A lot of the car magazines use that runway for magazine shoots.

Callaway Cars Inc., has a facility located right off the CA-55 freeway in Santa Ana. What they were doing in Irvine, I have no clue...

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Note that Callaway is no longer located in Tustin. CA facilities were moved to Temecula.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:39 PM
bdutchik
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
A user posted on here a couple of days ago that they spotted a mid-engine C8 in Irvine, California. Specifically, the Foothill Ranch/Lake Forest area. Supposedly it was driving down a public road and had the coverings much like other spy photos that have been seen.

I am trying to figure out why it would be here. To the north and west are some of the busiest roads in the entire country. It doesn't make sense to bring it here unless there's a good reason. It would be like parking a UFO on the White House lawn and covering it with a tarp. I suppose you could head out into the desert from here and do some testing free from prying eyes but Irvine isn't exactly on the route into the desert.

So why would it be here? Is there a GM facility nearby? There is a Callaway facility nearby. Could they have been taking it to Callaway for show and tell? If so, does that mean maybe there will be a factory Callaway (B2K) option again in the future?

Assuming it was actually spotted, I believe it would be the only one seen outside of Michigan or the spy photos from the Corvette Plant.

Any thoughts are welcome.

It may have been a Karma. They have a facility off Bake pkwy and have been running a lot of camo units in the area lately.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:37 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
We moved from Santa Ana to Temecula about 1.5 years ago. But we still get up to Newport, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 in Irvine, California

Quick Reply: C8 in Irvine, California