Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:55 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Pimp sketch/prototype profile

[QUOTE=firstvettesoon;1597455373]
Originally Posted by IronV

I know, but he also said he did not/could not draw it correctly.

He also said the ACS render as well as the MT and C&D rear renders were pretty much it...

I don't think the views he saw allowed him to be 100% sure.
All true, but his sketch does match well to the side view of the mule.
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Love the car is drawn by FVS; sent it to 10+ friends and have gotten extremely enthusaistic responses over and over (and many times more than that). One, an avid golfer, wrote back, “The hell with carrying golf clubs, for I have other cars. I so excited, just hope I can sleep until mine arrives.”

Fine with me that it is a rendering and that it will have its own flavor/character when revealed. I am enjoying what I am seeing right now! I have full faith that what we see at the reveal is outstanding! And conversely, that some will be unhappy with it even if 80% are dancing in the reveal hall!

Nice thing is that those unhappy will still have a full array of C7’s to choose from, and conversely I predict that just like the Stingray, that a huge percentage who do not like it from official GM reveal pictures, once they see it, many now own/love their C7’s — a pattern that will repeat with the ME.

However, I do feel that just as 10% of the Corvette crowd still has not warmed up to the C7 (or outright hate it), that that percentage will be closer to 25% who never like the ME — even after having been around them for years. It will be polarizing for sure for many reasons, not the least of which is that the 66 years of long front hood/short rear decks has been reversed.

Just fine with me that 25% will never like the ME.

Last edited by elegant; 06-21-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Ronstar
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

Like the new rendering. ....but gotta lose the C7 tail lights. Pimp explained pretty clearly from the CAD what they looked like
Old 06-21-2018, 10:19 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronstar
Like the new rendering. ....but gotta lose the C7 tail lights. Pimp explained pretty clearly from the CAD what they looked like
... he only described what is in the CAD which is a angular surface. He did not describe what the actual lighting elements look like nor has he commented on them to date.

I for one would not be surprised if they do in fact retain a semblance of the C7 folighting groups

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 06-21-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:23 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=IronV;1597455477]
Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

All true, but his sketch does match well to the side view of the mule.
A rough for the sketch, the easier it is to read into it.He has commented in the past and that his drawing is not correct. The headlights and hood or not 100% accurate nor is the side scoop or offset to the rear wheel A rough for the sketch, the easier it is to read into it.He has commented in the past and that his drawing is not correct. The headlights and hood are not 100% accurate nor is the side scoop or offset to the rear wheel He has also said that his rear fender line that he drew is not correct and that it is arched. Maybe not as much as the rear view suggests but that is a prospective issue
Old 06-21-2018, 11:21 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

definitely not bashing it... sorry if it seemed that way...was just making some off the cuff comments... the hard work of people that have some info...and making the cgi , etc... is awesome... was just kinda chiming in...

in any case.. I'll for sure be waiting for this to come out , see all the colors, options, and drive it to make a decision...if its a world beater.. it may be hard to turn down no matter what... you can always get in black and reduce any black accents that are there to improve looks...

thanks everyone for all their work and comments... its exciting for sure..
Old 06-21-2018, 11:27 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default You may have a different problem, Elegant.

Originally Posted by elegant
Love the car is drawn by FVS; sent it to 10+ friends and have gotten extremely enthusaistic responses over and over (and many times more than that). One, an avid golfer, wrote back, “The hell with carrying golf clubs, for I have other cars. I so excited, just hope I can sleep until mine arrives.”

Fine with me that it is a rendering and that it will have its own flavor/character when revealed. I am enjoying what I am seeing right now! I have full faith that what we see at the reveal is outstanding! And conversely, that some will be unhappy with it even if 80% are dancing in the reveal hall!

Nice thing is that those unhappy will still have a full array of C7’s to choose from, and conversely I predict that just like the Stingray, that a huge percentage who do not like it from official GM reveal pictures, once they see it, many now own/love their C7’s — a pattern that will repeat with the ME.

However, I do feel that just as 10% of the Corvette crowd still has not warmed up to the C7 (or outright hate it), that that percentage will be closer to 25% who never like the ME — even after having been around them for years. It will be polarizing for sure for many reasons, not the least of which is that the 66 years of long front hood/short rear decks has been reversed.

Just fine with me that 25% will never like the ME.
This is all sheer speculation of course. And beauty's in the eye of the beholder. But if the real thing looks like that 3/4 rear view--that is those proportions and detail--it's gonna be a lot more than 10% hate factor.

Fortunately, the mule profile and the Pimp's sketch (as well as FVS's fine work of course) give me hope. You MAY have a different problem, Elegant! Explaining to your pals why the real deal doesn't look like that 3/4 rear view at all!!

Last edited by IronV; 06-21-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:30 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=firstvettesoon;1597455603]

A rough for the sketch, the easier it is to read into it.He has commented in the past and that his drawing is not correct. The headlights and hood or not 100% accurate nor is the side scoop or offset to the rear wheel A rough for the sketch, the easier it is to read into it.He has commented in the past and that his drawing is not correct. The headlights and hood are not 100% accurate nor is the side scoop or offset to the rear wheel He has also said that his rear fender line that he drew is not correct and that it is arched. Maybe not as much as the rear view suggests but that is a prospective issue
All true again. And not to worry this to death BUT--his top rear fender line matches the taught profile of the Mule EXACTLY. Coincidence? Cladding? Illusion? I dunno.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:39 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default As noted by another member in this thread...

Look at the top rear fender line in this direct side view. Almost as flat as a carpenter's dream. There is no evidence of a big rainbow arch. None. Maybe it's there. But that is some heavy-***, well-secured cladding with super-taught cover over it.

It may be a coincidence it matches Pimp's admittedly flawed sketch.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default It is what it is... whatever it is.

Originally Posted by Ronstar
The design is baked. It's done. They're way past changing it. Those tail lights are the real deal. As confirmed by CAD drawings. We tend to refer to these test cars as "Mules" but that's not accurate. They're test prototypes. That's why they're heavily disguised.

Our job, with FVS's talent, is to discern what the damn things really look like. No guarantee any one of us will like what it is.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Look at the top rear fender line in this direct side view. Almost as flat as a carpenter's dream. There is no evidence of a big rainbow arch. None. Maybe it's there. But that is some heavy-***, well-secured cladding with super-taught cover over it.

this side view has the same shapes as the best side-on view we have. All the known “visible” landmarks match as does the rear fender line...and even is a bit lower since I feel there is a padded ridge there so I made the line closer to where the visible rear lights are placed.

Again. Not perfect but pretty close to size and overall shape. I am looking forward to seeing the real “details” and features... soon I hope!

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 06-22-2018 at 12:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
Lotsacubes (06-28-2018), Timz16 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:43 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

this side view has the same shapes as the best side-on view we have. All the known “visible” landmarks match as does the rear fender line...and even is a bit lower since I feel there is a padded ridge there so I made the line closer to where the visible rear lights are placed.

Again. Not perfect but pretty close to size and overall shape. I am looking forward to seeing the real “details” and features... soon I hope!

Dude, you're awesome. I submit that the rendering that is most accurate thus far, is where you "compressed" it vertically.

Truth be told. That's also my hope.
The following users liked this post:
Lotsacubes (06-28-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:46 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

quick question guys.. in the lateral pic above... the break rotors just look small... I pulled up images of side shots of the 488 and the 911 turbo... and the caliper and rotors are much larger..and thats with 20" front and rear wheels..

secondly... the front wheel/tire,... just doesn't seem to fill the wheel well.... the rear looks good... and the c7 was really good about having a fully filled wheel well... and the aesthetic was great w the c7 ... as is with the 488 and 911 turbo...

I know the AWD is prolly debunked.. but that is one reason to put on a small tire.. until you have the suspension, etc right for road going cars (test mules)... is to downsize the front tire diameter to give enough room... just an observation...
Old 06-22-2018, 06:32 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by bebezote
quick question guys.. in the lateral pic above... the break rotors just look small... I pulled up images of side shots of the 488 and the 911 turbo... and the caliper and rotors are much larger..and thats with 20" front and rear wheels..
I agree that the brake discs look very small, especially the front along with the calipers too. Both much smaller than on my C6 GS.

Either these are not the final versions, or the engineers have gone all out on reducing unsprung weight and to hell with braking.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:54 AM
mountie55
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 06-22-2018, 09:04 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,155 Likes on 516 Posts

As usual FVS you are doing a great job. I do see a possible enhancement though. The rear wheel well edge to tire gap should be the same as the front wheel well edge to tire gap. Looking at a true side view of both Ferrari 488GTB or Pista, both wheel wells have the same wheel well space to tire gap. Also the rear wheel does not scale up to 20" vs 19" front.

http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/...de-profile.jpg

https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/EZk...8-pista-10.jpg

Last edited by skank; 06-22-2018 at 09:14 AM.
elegant (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

So FVS, looking at your renderings, am I correct saying that u believe the rear window is vertical with a tunnel formed by the side buttresses ala the early C3 shark?

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering

Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
So FVS, looking at your renderings, am I correct saying that u believe the rear window is vertical with a tunnel formed by the side buttresses ala the early C3 shark?
I believe that FVS is showing a convertible.

Although I have run into opposition on this, I think it's clear from all the test cars we have seen now, that there are convertibles with a vertical window, and fastback coupes running around.

Last edited by Bikerjulio; 06-22-2018 at 09:58 AM.
firstvettesoon (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:12 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
it appears that way on at least one of the spy cars. Assuming this is the vert. There are others that look like a coupe.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 06-22-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:17 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skank
As usual FVS you are doing a great job. I do see a possible enhancement though. The rear wheel well edge to tire gap should be the same as the front wheel well edge to tire gap. Looking at a true side view of both Ferrari 488GTB or Pista, both wheel wells have the same wheel well space to tire gap. Also the rear wheel does not scale up to 20" vs 19" front.

http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/...de-profile.jpg

https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/EZk...8-pista-10.jpg

you our are correct. There is a larger gap up front on the render. Maybe this shows the front lift system!

The rear should have more gap.

The wheel/ ride height is different on these than other super cars. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 06-22-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering