Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 01:12 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Looking good FVS!

Nice job of incorporating all the cues, clues and feedback.

It really is going to be fun and exciting to see all the teasers that GM will undoubtedly start producing/releasing (ala the C7 marketing campaign) prior to the reveal... and then comparing all that AND the final reality to all your extensive (and quite frankly... just plain fun/cool) rendering work!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:22 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts
Default new front end render

Here is a new front end rendering.

No doubt there will be different details but until we know more...

Anyone see C7pimp around ? Hope he finds his way here to comment.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 03-15-2018 at 04:30 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
bigblock427 (03-16-2018), dmaxx3500 (03-15-2018), elegant (03-15-2018), foreverfuelie (03-16-2018), JerriVette (03-15-2018), Larshelt (03-16-2018), NewYuriCity (03-15-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-15-2018, 04:34 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

That looks pretty amazing. I would ditch the C7 style grill though, I can't imagine that will carry over.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:02 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
To bad it won't come out in 2019
Old 03-15-2018, 05:29 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The grille will not be a C7 grille — just a placeholder for now. I am expecting a grille design that would eventually work with active aero, with a center section, and corner sections — with each one working independently to increase/eliminate downforce depending of what is desired, and with the corner ones, when desired, working to greatly increase downforce when the car is going around a curve on that side — to glue that corner into the pavement.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:15 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Here is a new front end rendering.

No doubt there will be different details but until we know more...

Anyone see C7pimp around ? Hope he finds his way here to comment.

That looks very cool! Best front end render I've seen yet! Great work.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:24 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Thanks...

Here's a simulated active aero and new grill.

The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
elegant (03-15-2018), JockItch (03-17-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks FVS. Please have one of those beauties delivered to my house next week. I especially like the emblem’s “tightened” V — now paralleling the hood duct’s sides. As to the grille, the horizontal fins in the corner openings are nicely spaced to be able to “close off” that area — perhaps when max braking is desired, or could individually rotate downward at a 45 degree angle to produce selective corner downforce. As to the middle section, it immediately screamed Lamborghini to me (nice!).

Last edited by elegant; 03-15-2018 at 08:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:44 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Front fascia discrepancy

Thanks...

As I've studied the pics of the red front fascia molding, it looks to my eye like the left and right intakes are noticeably larger than the center intake. The even seem to be wider at their outside dimension than inside. More like the C7 ZR1. Anybody else see that?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:44 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Thanks...

How does the active aero work? Show one side open and the other closed. Diffusers work better. Closing those big holes shoot up temps big time. The ramp between the rad and the outlet on the hood causes downforce.

Last edited by Shaka; 03-16-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:35 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

take another look.
The paint shop facia piece is angled up and to the side so it is distorted.

The proportions should be fairly close in this rendering.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:46 AM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Hello, firstvettesoon,

First, I want to thank you for your brilliant rendering work...as it is fun and exciting to visualize what the C8 may be!

Also, if you look at post #16 (above), as well as a few other pictures of the camouflaged C8, you'll notice that the top of the headlight assembly appears to finish with an orange marking light of some type.

Thanks again!
Joe
Old 03-16-2018, 01:08 AM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
As I've studied the pics of the red front fascia molding, it looks to my eye like the left and right intakes are noticeably larger than the center intake. The even seem to be wider at their outside dimension than inside. More like the C7 ZR1. Anybody else see that?
firstvettesoon, I too am seeing what IronV is seeing however I'll state it differently. It appears to me that the L & R openings should be taller than the center opening. Also, I believe the L & R openings extend wider, closer to the full width of the front end, with the outer most sides of the openings being more vertical in orientation. Lastly, the sloping member between the L & R and center opening appears to me to be sloped a little more steeply (hence "longer") than you've illustrated.

Last edited by copjsd; 03-16-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:04 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by copjsd
Hello, firstvettesoon,

First, I want to thank you for your brilliant rendering work...as it is fun and exciting to visualize what the C8 may be!

Also, if you look at post #16 (above), as well as a few other pictures of the camouflaged C8, you'll notice that the top of the headlight assembly appears to finish with an orange marking light of some type.

Thanks again!
Joe
Thanks.

You are correct but there seems to be orange side markers on the pointy fender side of the headlamp bucket. You will see this more in the side views but I am not sure how much you would see of it from the front and therefore did not bother to include it in the front view

I may try to include it on an updated version

Thanks again for looking so close.

Nobody noticed I left out the mirrors... !

I guess the rest must be pretty exciting...

update coming soon.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 03-16-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:59 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

firstvettesoon, I too am seeing what IronV is seeing however I'll state it differently. It appears to me that the L & R openings should be taller than the center opening. Also, I believe the L & R openings extend wider, closer to the full width of the front end, with the outer most sides of the openings being more vertical in orientation. Lastly, the sloping member between the L & R and center opening appears to me to be sloped a little more steeply (hence "longer") than you've illustrated.
The actual proportions may be a bit different but not significantly IMO.
Note the drawing and also see the Lambo nose which has similar but uglier "delta" shaped deflectors. Note how the perspective and foreshortening changes how parts look from different angles.

I feel the entire grill opening is parallel more or less since a much wider opening at the ends would cause styling issues. Vertical angles on curved surfaces cause the straight lines to either look like a "smile" or "sad" mouth.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:09 PM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks.

You are correct but there seems to be orange side markers on the pointy fender side of the headlamp bucket. You will see this more in the side views but I am not sure how much you would see of it from the front and therefore did not bother to include it in the front view

I may try to include it on an updated version

Thanks again for looking so close.

Nobody noticed I left out the mirrors... !

I guess the rest must be pretty exciting...

update coming soon.
Good job on rendering FVS. I did notice the mirrors missing, but figured it's a work in progress and you have limited time to work on it. If we're going to hit the details hard here, please consider the following:

The acknowledged notch in the bottom of each side intake is missing, the openings in the front fascia on your rendering are both slightly asymmetrical and off-center relative to the hood, paint shop photos show the top edge of all three intakes from an uninterrupted single line, the side intake outer edges do not have a return toward center on the lower edges, but continue cascading down on the same plane. Also, photos of the pain shop panel, even in it's perspective view, shows a significantly thinner lower lip on the center intake, which also matches C7Pimp's pencil sketch of the front end. Additionally, the hood edge lines up with a different edge coming off each light (looking at C7Pimp's sketch). Also referencing C7Pimp's sketch, the center hood outlet is wider yet more shallow, I believe, to allow more functional space for the front storage space (frunk).
Old 03-16-2018, 01:49 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Better said than mine

What he said...

This is more what I see. What I see

Last edited by IronV; 03-16-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering

Old 03-16-2018, 02:07 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CorvettoBrando
Good job on rendering FVS. I did notice the mirrors missing, but figured it's a work in progress and you have limited time to work on it. If we're going to hit the details hard here, please consider the following:

The acknowledged notch in the bottom of each side intake is missing, the openings in the front fascia on your rendering are both slightly asymmetrical and off-center relative to the hood, paint shop photos show the top edge of all three intakes from an uninterrupted single line, the side intake outer edges do not have a return toward center on the lower edges, but continue cascading down on the same plane. Also, photos of the pain shop panel, even in it's perspective view, shows a significantly thinner lower lip on the center intake, which also matches C7Pimp's pencil sketch of the front end. Additionally, the hood edge lines up with a different edge coming off each light (looking at C7Pimp's sketch). Also referencing C7Pimp's sketch, the center hood outlet is wider yet more shallow, I believe, to allow more functional space for the front storage space (frunk).

I think you noted all the "exact" known or assumed differences. You have a good eye.

With this sort of "appearance" render meant for visual impact and excitement rather than an exact reproduction, ground up "drawing" of the car, some artistic license must be taken or it would take far too long to render. This way we end up with a "fair" representation of the car that looks "real" rather than a more "accurate" drawing that looks like a rendering if that makes sense.

I don't think the subtle differences change the overall "effect" of the visual image enough to make a huge difference.

As C7pimp said, he had difficulty drawing on the image accurately and he said the lights he drew were not right. Based on the CAD images and his drawing this should be close. Also, his drawing was just a sketch so we don't really know exactly what or how the ultimate forms will be realized. Since he described the hood as being "polarizing" and dramatic. Since we really don't know exactly how it will look, I went with more dramatic and exciting for a poster like concept render. If you note the hood vent, the outer lines are indeed wider like his drawing. How the actual opening is we shall see.

For the frunk, I noticed on the CAD that it doesn't look very big. Hopefully there will be other areas for storage, maybe in the back like the NSX? I left a slight "bulge" at the front where the frunk would be and makes some sense.

I consider this version the year 3 super C8 with more extreme features.for visual excitement.

Thanks for the comments and ideas.! I am glad people are so detail oriented. I think the real car will be tons more exciting and interesting than these renderings. Looking forward to more info.

Here is an adjusted version, symmetrical, side markers, notches and pumped up surfaces...and mirrors.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 03-16-2018 at 02:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
capevettes (03-16-2018), elegant (03-17-2018), FrankLP (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
What he said...

This is more what I see. What I see
He lives in his own world. Now he says the proportions of the C8 are the same as this car. Before he made fun of this car. Confused fellah. I fixed his 'New' render above and brought it back to earth.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:52 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

and in color...

fixed logo!

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 03-16-2018 at 04:36 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
capevettes (03-16-2018), elegant (03-16-2018), JerriVette (03-18-2018), Larshelt (03-16-2018), tbrenny33 (03-19-2018), tractman (03-16-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette Latest Rendering