Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the Manual Transmission Drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:41 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
Sorry, that's just utterly ridiculous. Good for you that you want to be a cheerleader for an automatic transmission, but don't go around insulting people's intelligence with this stuff.

If it's just pumping a clutch pedal, then go ahead and stick a DCT driver into a manual gearbox car and see how far they get without stalling. Or see how great they are at shifting quickly. Or smoothly.

Give me a break with this nonsense.
I can tell everyone that driving a well sorted DCT is actually a blast.

I have a 2015 458 Italia and the shift speed is incredibly and that alone make the car a blast to drive.

And if I driving in heavy traffic press the auto button and it drives like any other automatic transmission out there.

I am just saying give a well sorted DCT in a high performance car a try before you all claim how boring it is.

Again I find it to be a complete blast. For those who are trying to compare to the A8 it's night and day difference. I also have a Callaway SC757 with A8 and I agree if I order that car over I would have order another M7 like in the 2015 Z06 I traded in on the Callaway when I placed that order.

Again just one guys opinion but the DCT in the 458 is a blast to drive. Give it a try and it may change your opinion . I think it the best of both worlds a manual that you have full control and an auto when you in traffic.
The following users liked this post:
427muscle (02-26-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:16 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960

I have a 2015 458 Italia and the shift speed is incredibly and that alone make the car a blast to drive.

And if I driving in heavy traffic press the auto button and it drives like any other automatic transmission out there.

I am just saying give a well sorted DCT in a high performance car a try before you all claim how boring it is.

Again I find it to be a complete blast. For those who are trying to compare to the A8 it's night and day difference. I also have a Callaway SC757 with A8 and I agree if I order that car over I would have order another M7 like in the 2015 Z06 I traded in on the Callaway when I placed that order.

Again just one guys opinion but the DCT in the 458 is a blast to drive. Give it a try and it may change your opinion . I think it the best of both worlds a manual that you have full control and an auto when you in traffic.
The 458 is just a bit beyond my wallet....

That being said, I did try the PDK in the Cayman when cross shopping against the C7 I eventually bought. I found it boring. I didn't care how fast it shifted, to me its just boring to not give my left leg or right hand something to do when driving.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:38 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Just because a DSG shifts faster than a traditional auto does not in anyway relate to the driving experience with a manual.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:41 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spireland
The 458 is just a bit beyond my wallet....

That being said, I did try the PDK in the Cayman when cross shopping against the C7 I eventually bought. I found it boring. I didn't care how fast it shifted, to me its just boring to not give my left leg or right hand something to do when driving.
A under powered Cayman is really no comparison.

Do you think you would have purchased your C7 if it a a 4cyl and only 300 hp? I doubt that you or many others would.

Like I said compare a well sorted DCT in a HIGH PERFORMANCE sports car. That eliminates the Cayman while it a sports car it is far from high performance.

Lao you can keep your right hand busy DCT in manual mode is no different from a manual just it keeps your hand where they belong. On the steering wheel.

Take a look at the C7R. Paddle shifted gear box. Keeping the drivers hand where they should be on the steering wheel.

Again just a suggestion if you don't drive a comparable powered DCT you missing out on a fun and exciting driving experience.

I owner many manual Corvette. There was no A8 option on Zr1 or Z06 until the C7.

For those with an open mind try the DCT before you convince yourself that it's boring. That's just not true from my viewpoint.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:47 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NY09C6
Just because a DSG shifts faster than a traditional auto does not in anyway relate to the driving experience with a manual.
So what high performance sports car with a DCT have you driven to make your informed opinion the the DCT is not as fun and engaging as a manual gear box??

Hard to make that claim unless you have experience in a high power sports car with a DCT. But again just the opinion of a guy who has all 3 high powered M7 A8 and. DCT.

For me there is nothing as fun as the DCT in the 458.

Try it before you claim to say it's boring or not engaging.

Just an opinion. I try not to knock thing that I have not tried but that's just me.
The following 2 users liked this post by vetteman41960:
JerriVette (02-02-2018), Rapid Fred (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

I am holding out hope for a manual transmission C-8!!
Old 02-02-2018, 09:46 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

So what high performance sports car with a DCT have you driven to make your informed opinion the the DCT is not as fun and engaging as a manual gear box??

Hard to make that claim unless you have experience in a high power sports car with a DCT. But again just the opinion of a guy who has all 3 high powered M7 A8 and. DCT.

For me there is nothing as fun as the DCT in the 458.

Try it before you claim to say it's boring or not engaging.

Just an opinion. I try not to knock thing that I have not tried but that's just me.
Way to poor to ever be able to do that. But I have driven a DSG in an Audi and it is not engaging to me.

Last edited by NY09C6; 02-02-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:00 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

JMO, no no and no
If DCT is the only option I am OUT. The paddle shifts hold no allure for me no matter how quick the car is. I've tested the Lambos, Ferraris etc. The FUN in the car is Shifting . I'm not that on point of a driver to worry about the fraction of a second or so quicker the A8 is.
Attached Images  

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 02-03-2018 at 08:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
elegant (02-02-2018), JustinStrife (03-15-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:53 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

It's GREAT!!! that you consider driving a DCT "a blast". But that's not the point. The point here is that people like the one I quoted need to stop writing that a DCT is the same thing as a manual, the only difference being that you don't need to "pump a clutch with your foot". That kind of idiocy needs to be called out.
JustinStrife (03-15-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 11:40 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

No reason shifter cables cant work. My 911 turbo with cables and GT3 shifter was no trouble. I would definitely buy a manual box in one. I understand why some would want a DCT the lure of deep corner down shifts and all but for street and club racing a manual is more fun IMO. I've driven many cars on track with paddles including 458s, 991 GT3s, Cayman S for just lapping, I think they would get little boring. That said either way I do want to get a mid engine Corvette when they come out. Will not be first in line but excited to see what they do.

Last edited by z06801; 02-02-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Fwiw I test drove the GTI on numerous occasions and never saw what the automotive media was raving about so I would have thought dct s suck too.

I've been driving manual sports cars for 40 ears...

That said...do yourself a favor and go test drive a Porsche pdk as well as the jaguar f type...

The f type is a typical slush box...type paddle shifter...

The Porsche pdk is a whole new world ..

It really is like driving a manual without stepping on a clutch pedal...

If GM has tremec design the dct it'll be world class..

I have complete confidence a manual will be with corvettes for the next 6 or 7 years so everyone will be happy

I'll go dct for the c8 as I really want to have that technology in my next corvette
Old 02-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
It's GREAT!!! that you consider driving a DCT "a blast". But that's not the point. The point here is that people like the one I quoted need to stop writing that a DCT is the same thing as a manual, the only difference being that you don't need to "pump a clutch with your foot". That kind of idiocy needs to be called out.
Not idiocy -- an opinion.

I have not owned an automatic in nearly 40 years. Nonetheless I don't find the whole left foot thing nearly as big a deal as the direct mechanical feel of the manual trannie. Never drove a PDK or other DCT; I have driven a 2010 GS with what was often described as a quick and responsive automatic and did not enjoy it, though it was light years better than any rent-a-car slushbox I had ever driven. Interestingly, my son had a sky-activ 6-speed auto Mazda 3 a couple years back, and that was not that bad, with especially quick and crisp upshifts under full "accelleration" (LOL). The difference you speak of is real, but I see it just like the guy you slammed. Crispness and command matter to me (and I suspect many more stick owners than you believe) not the left foot.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

^^^ Actually you just stated why it is idiocy, and not an "opinion". It is a FACT that driving a manual transmission is more than just "pumping a clutch", and it is idiocy to suggest it is not. Maybe that kind of blunt language makes you uncomfortable, but I find the factually incorrect statements being made in this thread far more offensive than my blunt language.

Last edited by Speednet; 02-02-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:39 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

I've come to the conclusion that those who think using DSG paddles is the same as driving a manual without a clutch will never get it.

My one last attempt:

It has nothing to do with shift speed, paddle response time or lap times. Using paddle shifters to control a transmission feels like a gimmick to me. It feels fake, it's not "real" and greatly takes away from the fun aspect for me.

Last edited by NY09C6; 02-02-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:09 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

I've come to the conclusion that those who think using DSG paddles is the same as driving a manual without a clutch will never get it.

My one last attempt:

It has nothing to do with shift speed, paddle response time or lap times. Using paddle shifters to control a transmission feels like a gimmick to me. It feels fake, it's not "real" and greatly takes away from the fun aspect for me.
The reverse could be said for people stuck in the past and say they'll never go to a DCT because of the "experience" which is pretty silly to me. Makes people sound like they're just afraid of change.

The entire point of DSG/DCT is that it's technologically better in almost every way than a manual transmission. Not that it's the same.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:19 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by theanswriz42

The entire point of DSG/DCT is that it's technologically better in almost every way than a manual transmission.
I have no issue with people liking DSG. I have issues with people telling me they drive just like a manual and therefore I should like them.

Last edited by NY09C6; 02-02-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:48 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
The reverse could be said for people stuck in the past and say they'll never go to a DCT because of the "experience" which is pretty silly to me. Makes people sound like they're just afraid of change.

The entire point of DSG/DCT is that it's technologically better in almost every way than a manual transmission. Not that it's the same.
It's amazing how you can psychoanalyze me and others who enjoy a manual transmission over the internet. You've totally nailed it: I must be stuck in the past and completely afraid of change. The thought of paddle shifters has me quaking in my boots. I have to block it out of my mind just to go outside.

Get notified of new replies

To For the Manual Transmission Drivers...

Old 02-02-2018, 05:55 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I have no issue with people liking DSG. I have issues with people telling me they drive just like a manual and therefore I should like them.
That's your opinion, for me using the DCT paddle shifters is just as fun as rowing the gears the old way but it's a whole lot easier on my knees, shoulders, and wrists.
Everyone needs to try and stop convincing the old timers that like clutches and manual shifters that DCT's are great. That leaves them to us that know better and they will be easier to sell as used vehicles when the time comes.
Rapid Fred (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 06:11 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
That's your opinion, for me using the DCT paddle shifters is just as fun as rowing the gears the old way but it's a whole lot easier on my knees, shoulders, and wrists.
Everyone needs to try and stop convincing the old timers that like clutches and manual shifters that DCT's are great. That leaves them to us that know better and they will be easier to sell as used vehicles when the time comes.
I fully understand many like auto/DSG better. Cool for them.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:43 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
The only thing DCT will give you is a fatty body and a lazy mind. Driving a manual is not high impact work. Unless you have a medical condition I don't see how it can hurt your knees, shoulders and wrists. If anything it will keep you in shape!

An M7 with revmatch is the best of both worlds. You can be lazy and switch on the revmatch or give yourself a bit of a challenge by turning it off. If you choose DCT there is no going back to having a more engaging driving experience.

I drive a car with no TCS, AH, ABS, powersteering, Auto/DCT, or revmatch. I laugh at the thought that driving a car with all those systems on can be anything alike. I do get a body work out, I do work out my mind more, and I do build more driving skill.

Drive a DCT for a couple of years and then look like a fool in a stick. That's loss of driving skill for you. DCT is nothing more than a giant step towards autonomous driving.

How often would you even need to change gears in a turbo 5.5L? I imagine there is so much midrange power that you don't have to keep the engine on boil, maybe 4 gear changes per lap?

Quick Reply: For the Manual Transmission Drivers...