Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the Manual Transmission Drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 04:27 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I am totally with you “vetteman” on both of your points! Let’s hope the 4.2L, 32V, DOHC, TT, V8 is offered in the Corvette ME in year one! I don’t need the estimated 5.5L’s 800 HP for a later year’s ZORA, and would be happy with around the 550 HP/627 TQ that the Cadillac’s version of the 4.2L would provide. With a DCT, and the better acceleration of a ME (motor right over the drive wheels), the 2020 ME Corvette would rival the Z06’s performance, and in many circumstances beat it.

Please GM!
There is no way that's going to be anywhere near Z06 prices. We're talking pricey DCT trans, ridiculous part count in DOHC engine vs. OHV, pricey turbos, first generation mid engine platform. At the end of the day it's still down 100hp which is huge for in gear acceleration.

It will have the same 0-60 and top speed but I wouldn't count on it beating the Z06 around the track unless it has the same tires. Then we're talking wide body, which is not entry level and very pricey.

GM has to recover ~4x investment money compared to C7 right?

I also really doubt they'll use cast pistons in a car that will see the track with ~627 torque. They'll crack far easier if pushed than in an application you'd see a normal Caddy in.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:41 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
That’s what I wanted to hear. Automatic operation when you want it, crisp driver control when you want it, no slushiness...

I too have driven only manuals (ex the occasional rental) the last 40 years. PDK sounds intriguing...
A friend of mine had a Porsche 911 GTS with PDK. After about a year, he got bored with the PDK, sold the car, and bought a 911 S with a six speed manual.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:52 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
A friend of mine had a Porsche 911 GTS with PDK. After about a year, he got bored with the PDK, sold the car, and bought a 911 S with a six speed manual.
We had a Audi with DSG. As others stated it shifts fast and smooth. Starting off and stopping was a little jittery but acceptable. I tried for months to drive it with the paddles for enjoyment but it just wasnt there. For the next 6 years it was left in drive which was boring. A DSG automatic will never ever be a replacement for a manual transmission car for me. GM needs to offer both. I believe those who want DSG will be willing to pay a 5-10k premium so this may be a win for GM from a finance standpoint.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:07 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I too would pay more for a manual, even giving up some acceleration and maybe even fuel economy.

However, after 53 clutched manual transmissions in a row, if the ME is as exciting as I think it will be, if no MT is offered, I would get a DCT ME (trading in our much loved 7M, C7 Z06). However, full disclosure, I have never driven a PDK nor equivalent — just love the three pedal dance...

Last edited by elegant; 03-27-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:50 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
We had a Audi with DSG. As others stated it shifts fast and smooth. Starting off and stopping was a little jittery but acceptable. I tried for months to drive it with the paddles for enjoyment but it just wasnt there. For the next 6 years it was left in drive which was boring. A DSG automatic will never ever be a replacement for a manual transmission car for me. GM needs to offer both. I believe those who want DSG will be willing to pay a 5-10k premium so this may be a win for GM from a finance standpoint.
Only Porsche charges 4 grand for its PDK...but most options carry elevated pricing.

Most dct s don't carry that high a premium of a dct over a manual base model.

I imagine if corvette offers a dct and a manual the option will cost below the mid four grand level of the PDK in the Porsche and it will be worth it.

Porches charges ridiculous levels on its option list.

I enjoy the theee pedal dance but the performance efficiency of the Dct in the Ferrari 488 seems to offer efficiency and driving enjoyment

Somehow I think Chevy will manage a similiar driving experience as the Ferrari 488 offers.

Supposedly a quite enjoyable driving experience.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:52 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Only Porsche charges 4 grand for its PDK...but most options carry elevated pricing.

Most dct s don't carry that high a premium of a dct over a manual base model.

I imagine if corvette offers a dct and a manual the option will cost below the mid four grand level of the PDK in the Porsche and it will be worth it.

Porches charges ridiculous levels on its option list.

I enjoy the theee pedal dance but the performance efficiency of the Dct in the Ferrari 488 seems to offer efficiency and driving enjoyment

Somehow I think Chevy will manage a similiar driving experience as the Ferrari 488 offers.

Supposedly a quite enjoyable driving experience.
Lets compare the Porsche 911 GT3 with 500 HP from a 4.0L engine that is normally aspirated.

1) The starting price is $144,650. That same starting price is for EITHER a 7 speed PDK(DCT) or a 6 speed manual transmission. There is no $4,000 upcharge for the PDK.

2) The 4.0L NA 6 in the GT3 weighs 109 pounds LESS than the Caddy 4.2L TT V8. Caddy is 529 pounds and the Porsche is 420 pounds.

3) The GT3 weighs 3116 pounds for the 6 speed manual version and 3153 pounds for the PDK version. Based on GM's non ability to keep the Corvette's weight in check, I kind of doubt that the ME Corvette will come in at those weights.

4) The GT3 with the 6 speed manual does 0-60 in 3.8 seconds whereas the PDK version does it on 3.2 seconds.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-27-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:31 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Let's talk about this "performance efficiency."

You can track a manual for 2 to 3 times what the engine will last for before you blow up a manual transmission. When you do, it's super cheap to replace.

A manual clutch will probably last half the life of the engine or maybe more and it's cheap to replace the disc. By then you would have spent 4x on DCT.

Manual doesn't require much cooling, probably half the KW removed compared to the performance non-DCT autos that are becoming very popular.

If you do increase engine power, all you have to do is up the clutch pressure plate or get a different disc which is super cheap. The trans is usually fine as long as you don't launch it. On a road course you won't need 1st, and most of the time not even second.

Have fun getting that "performance efficiency" with the DCT and other tragic boxes. Must be why so many are used on the road course, oh wait there is only one 488 that makes it to the track in all of N. Cali.

I'll add one more. If you don't care for the driving experience in the manual use the rev match that's popular on many stick cars nowadays. With revmatch the performance difference between manual/auto is insignificant. Downshifts happen on breaking where the contact patch is the limiting factor. With TVS/OHV or DOHC/Turbo in a Corvette you won't shift up more than a few times a lap, it can't hurt your times that much.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 03-27-2018 at 02:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (04-08-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 02:42 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Why do we go back and forth with this conversation?

At the end of the day the manufacturer decides what to offer.

We got about 8 months more until the Detroit auto show..

When the c8 is put on display we can either cheer or boo.

We each have our own perspective on these topics.

I hope you get the option to have a manual. I personally believe the c8 will offer both a manual transmission and an automatic..either the ten speed in the other GM products i.e. The zL1 or a outside supplier for a dct.

GM has offered two transmissions since 1984. That's a successful formula for the corvette brand.

Let's both hope they continue to meet their customers desires for continued sales succcess.

Have a nice day
Old 03-27-2018, 02:53 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

The exotic car companies discontinued the manual not because they didn't want to make it, it's because fewer than 1% of the drivers wanted one. Porsche brought it back on GT3 when people made money reselling stick shift 911Rs and they saw that demand and opportunity to make money.

Where is the demand for manuals going to come from next? If folks can't move themselves to learn it they'll never appreciate it. And by learn it I mean really learning it complete with gas bleeping and heal and toe.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:55 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Your right.

Best of luck ..

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-27-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:07 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
The exotic car companies discontinued the manual not because they didn't want to make it, it's because fewer than 1% of the drivers wanted one. Porsche brought it back on GT3 when people made money reselling stick shift 911Rs and they saw that demand and opportunity to make money.

Where is the demand for manuals going to come from next? If folks can't move themselves to learn it they'll never appreciate it. And by learn it I mean really learning it complete with gas bleeping and heal and toe.
I'm sure there are some real enthusiasts that buy these uber expensive cars, but there are also lots of women and posers that buy them. I think that's why the Vette still needs a manual, it's clientele is a bit different.

A few years back before I bought my C6 I was shopping for a used E46 M3, and in the categories where I was shopping, people couldn't give away the auto trans E46 M3. I had people offering me M3s with autos for $7-9K less than comparably priced manuals, which there were not very available. That's an enthusiast car. I think the Vette not always, but often occupies the same space, particularly on the used market.

I was out zipping around in my 6 speed C6 today and I have to say, I don't need any car enough to quit shifting my own gears. What's the point really?
JerriVette (03-29-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:37 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

https://carbuzz.com/features/is-a-ma...n-a-normal-one
Old 03-27-2018, 06:43 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I'm sure there are some real enthusiasts that buy these uber expensive cars, but there are also lots of women and posers that buy them. I think that's why the Vette still needs a manual, it's clientele is a bit different.

A few years back before I bought my C6 I was shopping for a used E46 M3, and in the categories where I was shopping, people couldn't give away the auto trans E46 M3. I had people offering me M3s with autos for $7-9K less than comparably priced manuals, which there were not very available. That's an enthusiast car. I think the Vette not always, but often occupies the same space, particularly on the used market.

I was out zipping around in my 6 speed C6 today and I have to say, I don't need any car enough to quit shifting my own gears. What's the point really?
E46 M3 and C6, two of the most popular cars at the track, for good reason!

Definitely not true of my Cayenne V8 M6. The dealer had it for a year and I was one of two people to call in to buy it...ever. It should be one of the most popular tow cars for track cars.

Inelastic demand meets very limited supply. The few enthusiasts who do want an exotic can't find one period.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:22 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD

The E46 M3 automatic is a single clutch automated transmission and they are archaic and very costly to repair...

All the owners are afraid their transmissions are going to cost the, a fortune.

I drove my buddies....that E46 SMG transmission is pretty good on the track but without the dual clutches of newer designs...that SMG transmission is pretty messed up on the street ...

Like I mentioned the repair costs are quite high too..that's why the manual transmission isn't worth more of those years...for the E46

I drive a manual c6 z51 so I'm with you on cool manuals are...

Still a dct would be a cool option in addition to the manual transmission..
Old 03-30-2018, 09:18 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

A letter to America: Thanks for saving the manual sports car

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/30/...erica-opinion/
Old 04-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/30/...erica-opinion/
Nice article.

Here's are other things I never have to worry about when driving a manual:

1) "Is there something wrong with my automatic because the shifting is jerky?"

2) "Is there something wrong with my automatic? It seems like it slips."

3) "Is there something wrong with my automatic, because it takes too long to downshift?"

4) "I wish the engineers programmed my automatic shift schedule differently. It's always in the wrong gear."
pdiddy972 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:03 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Interesting article; thank you NY09C6 for pointing it out!

”Thanks America for saving the manual transmission.” If you wish to read it in its entirely here, below is that interesting article from a person who lives in England and who is thanking Americans for saving the manual transmission. Very intersting considering that the predominance of rumors regarding the upcome 2020 ME Corvette, are that it will only have a DCT trans option.

Originally Posted by AutoBlog

U.S. manual fans helped convince Porsche to stick with the stick

Our contributor Dan Trent lives in that far-off island across the pond where Jaguars rove the land. In this column, he reconsiders his opinions about the American relationship to manual transmission.

In my snooty European way, I used to assume American drivers couldn't cope with anything more sophisticated than a three-speed slushbox, while we more sophisticated types on the Continent were the true masters of heel-toe heroism and other traditional driving skills. Then automatic transmissions got better, supercar manufacturers became fixated with the motorsport associations of paddle-shifted gearboxes and, within a generation, stick-shift performance cars had seemingly vanished off the automotive map.

BMW is a perfect example: In Europe, the E60 M5 was only ever sold with the jerky SMG gearbox, its F10 successor with a more efficient and reliable dual clutch. Both were sufficiently fast, talented and desirable that we never really protested. And then we heard you could still buy manual versions of both in the U.S. Though the 2018 M5 has now gone two-pedal-only, you can still buy an M6 Gran Coupe with a stick, which we never got in Europe. And there we were thinking you didn't even know what a clutch pedal was for!

Manual diehards were left with few options, and when the 991 GT3 arrived as a PDK-only, it felt like the game was up. Porsche had made the GT3 ... easy. Those of us who'd subjected our long-suffering passengers to fumbled attempts at rev-matching and eventually graduated to bona fide hotshoe status (at least in our heads) had suddenly lost our hero car. Where the manual-only GT3 had once been a self-selecting means of separating those who could drive from those who couldn't, now anyone could hop in a GT3 and look like a driving god.

Porsche must have sensed disquiet in the ranks of hardened GT fans. Director of GT cars Andreas Preuninger was placed on YouTube to explain his PDK epiphany and how a dual-clutch transmission could still offer the emotional connection we all wanted, how paddle shifters were the way forward and how a two-pedal GT3 was the logical road-going expression of his department's motorsport mentality.

And yet, here we are now with a second-generation 991 GT3 with the option of a manual transmission. Preuninger implied he'd staked his reputation on it being a success, and if take-up wasn't as hoped, he'd have some explaining to do. Just the other week at Geneva, the about-face from the previous PDK-or-the-highway stance was dramatic: Preuninger and vice president of motorsport and GT cars Frank Walliser were beaming with delight at customer response, most notably in the U.S., where two-thirds of second-generation GT3s have been ordered with the stick option.

"We had several bets around the company and some bottles of wine have changed hands!" laughed Walliser when asked about how this fit with expectations.

"We're very happy we succeeded our own internal evaluations," added Preuninger. "The market clearly shows the need for a manual transmission; we were bold and daring enough to offer one. The success gives us the right and we will continue to do so for as long as possible."

Porsche is at pains to point out it isn't purely a U.S.-led demand inspiring this apparent U-turn. And having tested the water with the manual-only Cayman GT4 and 911 R and been blown away by hype-driven demand, it's clear the business case was still there. But the buying power of the American market has to be a consideration, and without that groundswell of support for the manual transmission I reckon we'd be in the same situation as we are with Ferrari, Lamborghini and others. The R8 has lost its charismatic gated manual, Alfa Romeo launched the 4C as a dual-clutch-only and the supposedly purist-focused Alpine A110 is the same. Lotus and Aston Martin are among the small number of brands sticking by stick, but the fact Porsche has responded to demand offers real hope for those of us who like changing gear ourselves.

Having just been lucky enough to cover the best part of 800 miles in a manual GT3, I can only count myself among them. I'd reluctantly bought the line that the PDK was an appropriate match for the latest high-revving GT motor. It will remain the only option in the RS, too. After driving both first-gen versions, I'd even publicly eaten my own words and admitted that — perhaps — a PDK GT Porsche wasn't evil incarnate after all.

Second into third gear in the 4.0-liter GT3 is enough to have me once again beating the drum, though. Selecting the ratio yourself, feeling the physical sensation of gears engaging through the shifter and savoring the mesmerising sweep of the rev counter toward that 9,000-rpm redline is my kind of addiction. Ultimate control over when and how to shift is another level of connection with the car. And the knowledge that smoothly riding that wave into third gear and beyond is going to require skill, timing and a degree of expertise beyond a fingertip on a paddle is the reward I want from a car such as the GT3. If I'm chasing lap times, I'll drive a racing car. For everything else, I'll trade tenths for involvement.

So, America, thank you for making stick-shift sports cars viable again. Keen drivers everywhere owe you one.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/30/...#slide-7292156

Last edited by elegant; 04-08-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To For the Manual Transmission Drivers...

Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default In a 'Supercar' with a smaller turbocharged motor!? ;)

Originally Posted by elegant
I too would pay more for a manual, even giving up some acceleration and maybe even fuel economy.

However, after 53 clutched manual transmissions in a row, if the ME is as exciting as I think it will be, if no MT is offered, I would get a DCT ME (trading in our much loved 7M, C7 Z06). However, full disclosure, I have never driven a PDK nor equivalent — just love the three pedal dance...
Given the new twin-scroll turbochargers, and turbines that have virtually no inertia, the 720S's throttle response has massively improved, and the subsequent lag has been almost eradicated.

https://drivetribe.com/p/LynnoFfcQsKgxWBDwEN-Lw?iid=VSvExtR9RRGXY4JPwJBjiw

Its got a DCT!

I guess you will have to be relegated to a LT1 Z51 and/or a C7.
Know Thy Tech!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-09-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:07 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Great article. It's worth mentioning that the middle class in Europe does buy a bunch of stick shifts, probably more than middle class in US. It's the rich Euros that prefer DCT more so than the rich US residents.

You have to be loaded to drive a new M5/M6/911 in Europe.

Old money rules EU more so than in the US. Not all rich folk in US grew up on fancy biscuits.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 04-09-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:34 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

I know a test driver, it still feels like a clutch even though its paddles. Unless you are chrome wheel crew, I think you will be pleased.

Quick Reply: For the Manual Transmission Drivers...